Queen Sonja Jewels 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tilia C.

Former Moderator
City
O
Country
Germany
231px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Queen_of_Norway.svg.png

Arms of the Queen of Norway

Welcome to Queen Sonja's Jewels, Part 2

Commencing January 1st, 2022

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Maud Pearl and Diamond Tiara for Queen Sonja tonight at the Gala Dinner for Members of the Norwegian Parliament

Tonight

September 2022

A Repica from Queen Maud's tiara. The original was stolen when Garrad 's London had it for cleaning !

A Repica from Queen Maud's tiara. The original was stolen when Garrad 's London had it for cleaning !

Note that she's wearing the same tiara and same gown used last month

The Queens of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Greece don't share her Grand jewels !

Queen Sonja tiara appearances in 2022

1 2 3 4

Queen Sonja wears the replica of the Queen Maud Pearl and Diamond Tiara tonight

Sonja

This tiara is one of my favorite! Majestic tiara!!

Queen Sonja is not very inventive with her jewels anymore. She has worn this exact combination of pearl jewels for three out of the four last gala events. It seems theese days she enjoys modern jewellery more.

When she was younger she used to mix and match much more, but now it is the tried and tested combinations, and the emerald set for the most important events.

Its a pitty as there is many historic brooches and chockers that is not worn for years, and she has not touched the jewels that was returned after Princss Ragnhild either.

The beautiful Queen Josephine diamond tiara is very rarely worn, the (difficult) maltese not for years and years. If she does not wear it she should lend it to her daughter in law and grand daughter. This year there will probably be many ocasions to wear jewels.

Queen Sonja is not very inventive with her jewels anymore. She has worn this exact combination of pearl jewels for three out of the four last gala events. It seems theese days she enjoys modern jewellery more.

When she was younger she used to mix and match much more, but now it is the tried and tested combinations, and the emerald set for the most important events.

We can see something similar with Queen Silvia. I guess it simply as they have become older the go with Jewels which are comfortable for them and probably easy to wear.

The lost tiara of Queen Maud
By Oskar Aanmoen, 26th November 2019

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/norway/the-lost-tiara-of-queen-maud-133381/

...The marriage occurred in 1896 and at that time, the “need” for tiaras was much greater for royal women than it is today. For example, Maud’s sister-in-law, Queen Mary of the United Kingdom, wore a tiara to dinner every day.

“Queen Maud’s P earl Tiara” was made of diamonds and pearls, framed in white gold and platinum. The large centrepiece, with its winding shapes, recalls the Art Nouveau style which was the height of fashion in 1896. The side pieces, however, which look like small flowers topped with a drop bead, are very traditional. Who made the original tiara is not known.

...Although the war was won in 1945, the jewellery was not returned to Norway. It was only when Queen Elizabeth II was crowned tin 1953 that the jewellery collection of the British royal family was organized and the Norwegian jewels was re-discovered. The gems were then returned to the Norwegian Royal Family. It has always been unclear why the Norwegian Royal Family did not asked for the return the jewellery on their own initiative.

The lost tiara of Queen Maud
By Oskar Aanmoen, 26th November 2019

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/norway/the-lost-tiara-of-queen-maud-133381/

...The marriage occurred in 1896 and at that time, the “need” for tiaras was much greater for royal women than it is today. For example, Maud’s sister-in-law, Queen Mary of the United Kingdom, wore a tiara to dinner every day.

“Queen Maud’s P earl Tiara” was made of diamonds and pearls, framed in white gold and platinum. The large centrepiece, with its winding shapes, recalls the Art Nouveau style which was the height of fashion in 1896. The side pieces, however, which look like small flowers topped with a drop bead, are very traditional. Who made the original tiara is not known.

...Although the war was won in 1945, the jewellery was not returned to Norway. It was only when Queen Elizabeth II was crowned tin 1953 that the jewellery collection of the British royal family was organized and the Norwegian jewels was re-discovered. The gems were then returned to the Norwegian Royal Family. It has always been unclear why the Norwegian Royal Family did not asked for the return the jewellery on their own initiative.
That's very interesting and I had not known about the its rediscovery among the British jewels!

That's very interesting and I had not known about the its rediscovery among the British jewels!
However strange that the norwegian RF did not want the Jewels given back. Perhaps because CP Märtha had their own Jewels and didn't need the one of her mother-in-law

However strange that the norwegian RF did not want the Jewels given back. Perhaps because CP Märtha had their own Jewels and didn't need the one of her mother-in-law

I don't know, Stefan, but I feel that Queen Mary's reputation in regard to jewelry could have been a factor. I recall a documentary (possibly in YouTube) on anecdotes from UK aristocrats hiding decorations if Queen Mary was doing a visit because she would grab them or just tell them she wanted it. And in a thread on UK jewels here I remember seen the comment QEII did not wear some pieces from the Czars 'obtained' in questionable manner by Queen Mary after the Revolution.

Maybe Queen Maud had her sister-in-law Queen Mary protect her jewels until the nazis were removed from Norway and she just held on to them a bit too long? :ermm:

Its all very peculiar,were they a guarantee fora loan during the war?

Märtha did have her own jewels, from the fabulous Bernadotte collection, including the now biggest-gun emerald parure.

I don't know, Stefan, but I feel that Queen Mary's reputation in regard to jewelry could have been a factor. I recall a documentary (possibly in YouTube) on anecdotes from UK aristocrats hiding decorations if Queen Mary was doing a visit because she would grab them or just tell them she wanted it. And in a thread on UK jewels here I remember seen the comment QEII did not wear some pieces from the Czars 'obtained' in questionable manner by Queen Mary after the Revolution.

Maybe Queen Maud had her sister-in-law Queen Mary protect her jewels until the nazis were removed from Norway and she just held on to them a bit too long? :ermm:

Not only did Maud die in 1938, long before there was a thought of an invaded Norway, she was Mary's favorite sister-in-law. Mary would never have done anything untoward with her jewels — and if she had, that decreases the likelihood anything would have been left around her.

Haakon was grief-stricken and depressed when she died and probably couldn't bear to deal with her things — and then the war started and everybody got a little preoccupied.

He gave her beloved house back to George VI basically the day after the funeral, and it was repurposed and ruined during the war and eventually abandoned. Maybe he was content to let the jewels stay buried?

Never seen that one before. There are many brooches in the NRF that is hardly worn at all, like that beautiful aquamarine brooch Mette-Marit got that belonged to Queen Maud that CP Sonja was only photographed with once before MM started to wear it for important events. Sonja clearly has her favourites, many of them modern, and if she goes for something old, it is very often the Drapers company pearl brooch

In this video from her CPcess days she is wearing another brooch I have never seen before or since, its a bit difficult to see but it does look a bit like the brooch with forget-me-nots that Mette-Marit got when Ingrid Alexandra was born

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/kongefamilien/1987/FOLA03008186

Photo 2 in this link: https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=135977&sek=26939

It's a little difficult to make out but in this photo from CP Haakon's baptism but it looks like Sonja might be wearing the same forget-me-not flower brooch that MM now wears

https://www.alamy.com/king-harald-o...b0a6ab4ea025bc556b8d8d7d3405f9d4&searchtype=0
No that is not the same, then she wears the diamond and sapphire brooch she now mostly uses as a clasp om her four row pearls choker
https://image.klikk.no/3112802.jpg?...=0&cropw=100&croph=100&width=1000&height=1328

In his new book «Ingrid Alexandras heritage» about the norwegian jewels and the women who has worn them, Trond Noren Isaksen reveals that the big diamond tiara that was belived to be from Queen Desiree, is actually from Empress Josephine.

When the court is asked why they will not cooperate on the book, or anything else relating to the jewels, the spokesperson says:

The Norwegian royal family has a magnificent diamond tiara, but they themselves do not know that has belonged to Empress Josephine, claims Isaksen.

The diadem is often called the Désirée diamond tiara.

Communications manager Varpe tells NRK that the royal family is well-acquainted with the history of the diadem, and that the family also has good knowledge of the family's historical jewelery in general.

- This information was made known in an earlier book publication.

After this quote was given, communications manager Varpe learned that doubts had arisen about how the statement should be interpreted. She therefore clarifies: - No one in the royal family has been aware of Trond Norén Isaksen's thesis that the tiara should be traceable back to Empress Josephine. Nor was it intended that the statement should be interpreted that way.

What a pitty the court would not cooperate when a serious historian writes a book, it is a very well sourced book, many beautiful photos, and some new information, also for the NRF it seems?

Queen Sonja wore the Josephine Diamond Tiara at gala banquet tonight

Sonja

I agree, this is a great tiara, and one that iswn't used often enough, IMO.

I was half expecting to see the Maltese Cross tiara and this was a pleasant surprise.
Its a tiara that should only be worn by a queen.

In his new book «Ingrid Alexandras heritage» about the norwegian jewels and the women who has worn them, Trond Noren Isaksen reveals that the big diamond tiara that was belived to be from Queen Desiree, is actually from Empress Josephine.

When the court is asked why they will not cooperate on the book, or anything else relating to the jewels, the spokesperson says:

https://www.nrk.no/norge/historikar...nglande-openheit-om-smykkesamlinga-1.16394406

What a pitty the court would not cooperate when a serious historian writes a book, it is a very well sourced book, many beautiful photos, and some new information, also for the NRF it seems

Really a pity that the RF did not want to participate with the book. They are really stringent with Informations about their Jewels. Yes they are private owned but so are the Jewels which have last year been displayed at the Amalienborg Museum and several who have been in the Docu about the swedish Jewels.

Queen Sonja with the emeralds tonight in Copenhagen.

https://imgix.billedbladet.dk/2023-...o=format&fit=fill&ar=320:364&fill=blur&w=1075

Dont like them with this poison green dress, the colors fight.

Sonja has obiously decided she is to old to be inventive with jewels anymore. Its either the whole emerald parue, the pearl tiara with her usual chocker and drapert brooch, or the Josephine diamond tiara with two diamond necklaces and the usual brooch.

I do wonder what occasion the NRF will consider appropriate to bring out the Queen Maud diamond tiara, not seen for 30 years and returned for more than 10 years ago. If it is not debuted for the CP 50 th birthdays (some new official photos maybe) I dont know when we will ever see it.

Back
Top Bottom