Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that some details are starting to emerge about potential celebrations for the Platinum Jubilee in 2022, I thought we could have a thread dedicated to that.

Could there be a thread for Platinum Jubilee events that are local - art galleries putting on Royal exhibitions etc?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...d-Sophie-Anne-given-major-overseas-tours.html

More Commonwealth tours announced for the Royal Family, 2022. I expect other countries will get visits later in the Autumn.

This article has annoyed me slightly - they mention that the trip Edward and Sophie are doing is high profile and something that would normally have been given to Harry and Meghan. I guess the journalist did not remember that 10 years ago it was Edward and Sophie who visited those counties for the Diamond Jubilee. It’s probably been given to them so they can see what’s changed in 10 years.

I understand rhere are less “working royals” now and perhaps the trip would have been given to Harry and Meghan but I think the plan would have been for the Wessex’s to go because they’d been before.

I look forward to all these trios and I love it when the royals do foreign tours. Hopefully everyone’s will get good publicity.

Looking forward to the various Commonwealth tours!

sorry for duplicating - I expected Canada to get a spring tour as well. Also it is rather odd to have the Princess Royal go down for for one of the island - must be a scheduling issue. Just really odd.

Anne is coming to Oz as well but not as a Jubilee tour event. She will be opening the Royal Easter Show as patron of the Royal Agricultural Societies of the Commonwealth.

Why is she going to Papua New Guinea - and NOT the Solomon Islands?

She is also going to Australia.

Maybe the Solomon Islands didn't send an invitation (royals don't just 'turn up' they have to be invited).

Last edited by a moderator:
She is also going to Australia.

Maybe the Solomon Islands didn't send an invitation (royals don't just 'turn up' they have to be invited).

It's also not up to the royals themselves to decide where they'll go or not go. It's *all* at the government's request and Iluvbertie is correct, they need to receive an invitation for a visit first. ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...d-Sophie-Anne-given-major-overseas-tours.html

More Commonwealth tours announced for the Royal Family, 2022. I expect other countries will get visits later in the Autumn.

Does the DM think that Edward and Sophie are not jetting to the Caribbean for their visit of 4 Caribbean island nations? Quite a strange view...

Platinum Jubilee tour schedule sees Edward, Sophie and Anne given major overseas tours while Kate and William jet to the Caribbean

And visiting 'one country' is apparently also a 'major overseas tour'.

Does the DM think that Edward and Sophie are not jetting to the Caribbean for their visit of 4 Caribbean island nations? Quite a strange view...

It's the DM. It's what they do. It's also why I rarely will open a DM link. :D

The DM isn't mentioning the fact that Anne is also coming to Australia. I would think that any visit by any royal to Australia counts as a 'major overseas tour'. I know her visit to Australia is as Patron of the Royal Agricultural Societies of the Commonwealth and not a Jubilee tour as such but she is still visiting us here.

She will also have to be careful during that tour to ensure that if she is seen with the PM she is also seen with the leader of the opposition as we will be in election mode by then (election has to be held by the end of May and we usually have a 5 - 7 week campaign)

I don't think they do.

Actually this is the first foreign tour the Wessex have done in many years - to my knowledge they only did Canada and then a few in the West Indies. This is also the first foreign engagements when both of them will be going since the children were born. I think Sophie mentioned that they make certain that at least one person is always at home for the children. This will be a full week - so unless the kids are going with - which is very unlikely, then this is the first time they have deemed it important enough to break that resolution. It is Jubilee so understandable.

Also Louise is an adult now and old enough to look after her brother, with or without help. I think the Earl and Countess feel the kids will be fine without them.

Also Louise is an adult now and old enough to look after her brother, with or without help. I think the Earl and Countess feel the kids will be fine without them.

Aren’t both kids at Boarding School, or have a Nanny?

Why is she (Princess Anne) going to Papua New Guinea - and NOT the Solomon Islands?

And why are Charles and Camilla going to the Republic of Ireland, which is not even a Commonwealth member? That sounds extremely odd to me.

And why are Charles and Camilla going to the Republic of Ireland, which is not even a Commonwealth member? That sounds extremely odd to me.

Ireland is the only foreign country with a direct land border to the United Kingdom and has an intensive relation, especially after Brexit. I find it completely logical that the future King and Queen stress the excellent relationship between the two countries.

Ireland is the only foreign country with a direct land border to the United Kingdom and has an intensive relation, especially after Brexit. I find it completely logical that the future King and Queen stress the excellent relationship between the two countries.

But not if the purpose of the visit is to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee. I imagine Ireland must have extended an invitation, but it is surprising nonetheless.

Last edited:
Aren’t both kids at Boarding School, or have a Nanny?

Louise is doing her final year at school and is boarding (she only started boarding when she started the final two years but has been 'at home schooled' like so many others during covid).

I am surprised they are going when they are going because of Louise's exams starting on 16th May.

James is at a day school.

Given how close they are to the Queen, as happened when Edward and Sophie have gone overseas together before James may actually go and stay with Granny.

They went to Sri Lanka together, for instance, for the 50th anniversary of independence and then Edward went on to India but Sophie went home.

Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and UK Ambassador Andrew James Noble LVO unveiled a commemorative plaque of a tree planted in honour of Queen Elizabeth to mark her Platinum Jubilee:

** romaniaregala.ro: Ambasadorul Marii Britanii la Castelul Săvârșin **

In the Royal House of Romania thread, Her Majesty Margarita along with the British Ambassador to Romania, planted a tree, and unveiled a plaque, to commemorate the Platinum Jubilee. I feel there should be a mention of this in the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations thread, because not everyone would look at the Royal House of Romania thread.

How will 'checking a map' answer the question about why Charles and Camilla's annual visit to the Republic of Ireland be classes a a Commonwealth tour?

Actually this is the first foreign tour the Wessex have done in many years - to my knowledge they only did Canada and then a few in the West Indies. This is also the first foreign engagements when both of them will be going since the children were born. I think Sophie mentioned that they make certain that at least one person is always at home for the children. This will be a full week - so unless the kids are going with - which is very unlikely, then this is the first time they have deemed it important enough to break that resolution. It is Jubilee so understandable.
The first sentence might be true but the second surely isn't. The trip to Canada (5 days) in 2016 was many years after the birth of their children. But this wasn't there only trip. For example, they went together to the Baltic states; and also to France in 2018.

Last edited:
But not if the purpose of the visit is to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee. I imagine Ireland must have extended an invitation, but it is surprising nonetheless.

The Prince has previously expressed a wish to visit every county in Ireland.This visit will take place March 23rd to March 25th and the couple will visit Cahir Castle and the Rock of Cashel.
Visits to Ireland are not unusual and this visit may have been postponed by Covid and was announced by the British embassy in Dublin.

Let's get back to a discussion on the topic.

What jubilee tours are we expecting in the autumn?

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa etc?? I wonder will the Cambridges be off in the autumn to Southern Africa region as they have not done a tour there yet during their marriage.

Can we expect a UK jubilee tour - members of the family doing away days in all the regions and on Isle of Man and Channel Islands. Again I can not ever recall William or Kate visiting Channel Islands or Isle of Man

What jubilee tours are we expecting in the autumn?

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa etc?? I wonder will the Cambridges be off in the autumn to Southern Africa region as they have not done a tour there yet during their marriage.

Can we expect a UK jubilee tour - members of the family doing away days in all the regions and on Isle of Man and Channel Islands. Again I can not ever recall William or Kate visiting Channel Islands or Isle of Man

I suspect Australia, NZ and Canada will be visited, not sure if a trip to Africa will fit in though.

I suspect there will be a series of mini-trips across the UK thoughtout the year by C&C and W&C.

I suspect Australia, NZ and Canada will be visited, not sure if a trip to Africa will fit in though.

I suspect there will be a series of mini-trips across the UK thoughtout the year by C&C and W&C.

I'd be disappointed if the royal family can't make an effort to reach as many areas of the Commonwealth as possible including Africa.

So far we have had little information regarding how the jubilee will be celebrated with regional visits within the UK and only spring tours announced so far.

Naturally I don't expect the Queen to be active like she was in previous jubilees but I expect others to step up

Back
Top Bottom