Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a direct link to the article by Victoria Ward from the Telegraph which the Daily Mail cites:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...x-invited-play-informal-role-queens-platinum/

Ms. Ward was apparently told by aides that Queen Elizabeth "plans to attend as many events as possible" but does not want to be "photographed having difficulty walking".

The Queen, who turns 96 on Thursday, is determined to take part in the four-day celebration and plans to attend as many events as possible.

However, her struggles with mobility mean that in reality, her participation is likely to be minimal.

[...]

One of the most important events for the Queen will be the service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral on June 3.

Palace aides are working on plans to ensure that she can attend with dignity, as she will be unable to walk up the many steps at the main entrance.

Staff are considering how she can best travel to the service in comfort and make her way into a side entrance of the cathedral without being photographed having difficulty walking.

For Her Majesty, a horse racing fanatic, the Epsom Derby on June 4 will also be a highlight of the festivities, although the logistics could prove challenging.

While she would usually be driven down the home straight before taking a short walk to the stands for a receiving line, plans are being put in place for her to be dropped off as close to the grandstand as possible, where she can then take a lift up to her box.

Despite earlier reports that the Duke of York could accompany her, the Telegraph understands that it is the Duchess of Cornwall, who is also “absolutely besotted” by racing, who has been earmarked to attend alongside her.

It is the Duchess, patron of the national stud, who is expected to take on the royal patronage of the sport in the longer term.

[...]

The thread had been cleaned up and posts about the Sussex couple have been removed. The thread is now re-opened.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Barbie tribute will give the queen a chuckle!

I LOVE it. How much do they cost on US Amazon? I think they should do a whole Royal Family, and a separate All Creatures set with Siegfried and Robert Hardy.

It looks more like Helen Mirren playing the Queen than it does Elizabeth Windsor being the Queen.

But I agree, it's bound to give Her Majesty a chuckle.

Edward and Sophie's Grenada trip has been postponed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61183853

Grenada has been dropped from the Wessexes' Caribbean tour following consultations with the local government and the Governor-General, who personally advised against the visit.

That is probably a sensible move following what happened to the Cambridges in Jamaica especially, but is also a little bit sad. It appears that many of the Caribbean realms governments are heavily invested not only in the Republic vs Monarchy debate, but especially in this issue of slavery reparations, and the Royal Family is unfairly taking some of the heat from that debate.

The monarchies of the United Kingdom and of Spain in particular, and, to a lesser extent, those of Belgium and the Netherlands too, remain a powerful symbolic link to those countries' imperial/colonial past. That can be paradoxically both good and bad. In a way, the monarchy as a historical institution helps to maintain the cultural influence and the links that those former imperial countries still have in/with their former colonies (again that is especially true in the case of the UK and Spain), but, on the other hand, it also serves as a focus of grievances and resentments that the former colonies may hold.

Last edited:
The monarchies of the United Kingdom and of Spain in particular, and, to a lesser extent, those of Belgium and the Netherlands too, remain a powerful symbolic link to those countries' imperial/colonial past. That can be paradoxically both good and bad. In a way, the monarchy as a historical institution helps to maintain the cultural influence and the links that those former imperial countries still have in/with their former colonies (again that is especially true in the case of the UK and Spain), but, on the other hand, it also serves as a focus of grievances and resentments that the former colonies may hold.

I fear the Wessex's trip will be much like the Cambridges. The Wessex's trip is too soon . Perhaps if more time had passed the anti-monarchy ferver would have died down.
I'm not sure I would call it "cultural influence" - in the very beginning people native to the colonies didn't really have a choice did they? It was basically violent force followed by enslavement.
[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
I fear the Wessex's trip will be much like the Cambridges. The Wessex's trip is too soon . Perhaps if more time had passed the anti-monarchy ferver would have died down.
I'm not sure I would call it "cultural influence" - in the very beginning people native to the colonies didn't really have a choice did they? It was basically violent force followed by enslavement.
[.....]

Excuse my ignorance on these matters but have other countries previously involved in slavery provided apologies and compensation or is Britain sadly lacking.

It looks more like Helen Mirren playing the Queen than it does Elizabeth Windsor being the Queen.

But I agree, it's bound to give Her Majesty a chuckle.

I see both.

The food look's good.

If you go to Clarence House twitter, they have more photos~

I'm already liking the sounds of Whisky-laced Bread & Butter Pudding and the Spanish Marmalade.

Will watch out for this!

Where to get a copy of Angela Kelly’s. revised edition?

It's been announced that neither Andrew nor Harry will be on the balcony for the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. I think it's the right decision. The presence of either of them will only divert attention from what the occasion is, i.e. a celebration of the Queen's reign.

I think it is a wise decision! Only HM's loyal supporters should have a balcony appearance.

The only problem is that the wording of the press release will seem like hypocrisy if non-working members of the Queen's family like Peter Philips attend.

[....] And the announcement about non working royals not being on the balcony means that the vast majority of the Queen?s grandchildren won?t be there either. No Zara, no Yorkies, no Peter Phillips etc. And presumably no Wessex children as Lady Louise at least is old enough to begin royal duties at eighteen but has so far chosen to not do so.

If it’s true that the balcony is being restricted then I think it’s a real shame. It would have been wonderful to see all the great grandchildren up there for such a special occasion.

I suspect that it was Charles who suggested it, but it's a shame that we won't see Lena, Mia, Savannah and Isla, and maybe even the babies could have made an appearance. People love seeing pictures of cute children - as the Queen knows, from the days when she and Margaret were "the little princesses".

A reminder that there is no Sussex related discussion except on the Sussex thread, which is currently closed.

I am sure we are going to see the younger children in some form or other during the weekend.

Many more details about the Platinum Jubilee events have been announced today:

https://www.royal.uk/updates-her-majesty-queen’s-platinum-jubilee-weekend

https://www.royal.uk/gold-state-coach-lead-platinum-jubilee-pageant

Thank you, crm2317.

Here are the quotes from the Buckingham Palace spokesman:

'The Queen has decided this year's traditional Trooping the Colour balcony appearance on Thursday June 2 will be limited to Her Majesty and those members of the royal family who are currently undertaking official public duties on behalf of the Queen', a palace spokesman said.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: 'As you might expect, some adjustments have been made for the Queen's comfort.

'There will be no ceremonial journey to St Paul's and Her Majesty is expected to arrive at a different entrance than on previous occasions.'

The Palace spokesman added: 'In addition the Cambridge and Wessex children are also expected to appear as is Sir Tim Laurence, who the Queen is happy to attend as a frequent attendee and support for the Princess Royal on official engagements.'

A Palace source said: 'Other family members will be invited to events. We've always made that clear and they are likely to be public events.'

A Palace spokesman said: 'The Queen is looking forward to the weekend and will be taking part in the celebrations but her presence will not be confirmed until much nearer the time or even on the day itself.'

While I'm pleased at the informal recognition that Sir Tim (I am surprised the spokesman did not call him Timothy) is a working royal in all but name, I cannot see why the Wessex children will appear on the balcony when all other adult non-working members will be excluded. The Cambridge children's inclusion is consistent with the expectation that they will one day be working royals, but there is no such expectation for Lady Louise and Viscount Severn.

Interestingly, the "Updates" press release only states "the Royal Family’s balcony appearance will happen as in previous years."

I understand the Queen made the exception for the Wessex's children as it will be the last time they will be on the Balcony and have relatively been least on the balcony compared to her other grandchildren.
This is also the one of the few Jubilee event they will be attending - all of the other grandchildren will be at the races and the other events, which is easy due to their age. As the Wessex children are going to be the least seen during the celebrations - they have been given this honour.

The decision to restrict the balcony appearance is bound to cause some dissent, but it seems very sensible to me.

Back
Top Bottom