Queen Beatrix Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is cabouchon sapphires. It could be a trick of the light that the clasp looks so dark while the light gets caught in the earring. And it's not the Queen's style to mix different stones, imo.

I love the turquoise and diamond cresent brooch Bea is wearing!!!!

Here are more pictures from PPE of Beatrix wearing the star tiara. Imo the tiara looked great on Princess Beatrix, this is a tiara that suits her hairstyle. It is interesting that the tiara was reserved for Maxima while being a princess. Now that she is the Queen, both Margriet and Beatrix have worn it.
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

This tiara really does suit Princess Beatrix and unlike others doesn't get lost in her hairdo!

Yes it looks great with her "do"!! Love the Dutch for wearing and sharing all their pieces. I wonder if they ever have a pow wow about whos wearing what. Im sure there is a system.

I find it hard to imagine those ladies to pull out each other's freshly done tiara hair because they all want to wear the same tiara! :ROFLMAO: And with such a variety of jewels it should be easy to come to peaceful agreements. After all they are no teenagers anymore. But who knows what happens when the A-team one day will start wearing those tiaras?:D

They seem to really get along. I meant it more as a...what are you wearing? Fun conversation.

I think she looks magnificent in the Star tiara. To be honest, I thought their big gun sapphire was a bit of a fizzer because it just had a big one in the middle of a whole lot of diamonds. That'll happen if you are wearing Bea's trademark bouffant hairstyle.

Beatrix has a grace and deportment that belies her (supposedly) lesser role and because of this she remains one of my favourite people. From the beginning she shared her jewellery with Max and these days goes out of her way to show she is "Princess Beatrix" once again.

Instead of diminishing her in any way, it makes her even more spectacular when she dusts off those magnificent Stars and goes large!

Kind of like "The Unsinkable Molly Brown".

Yes it is quite elegant but it has more or less become a Dutch Royal Wedding tiara of late!

Imo the laurel tiara is very beautiful and it is a pity that it has never been worn by Maxima. But it seems to be set aside as a loaner for the tier royals: Princess Christina has worn it at the pre-inauguration festivities, Princess Maria-Carolina has worn it at her wedding and at the wedding of GF of Prussia and Sophie of Isenburg, Princess Laurentien has worn it at her own wedding and at the State Visit from Jordan...

Just out of curiosity has Maxima ever worn the laurel wreath tiara?

Just out of curiosity has Maxima ever worn the laurel wreath tiara?

Not that I am aware of it.

Recently, whilst in Canada, she did wear some hair clips that could have been from the tiara, but some posters held the view that they were different, and not from the tiara.

Not that I am aware of it.

Recently, whilst in Canada, she did wear some hair clips that could have been from the tiara, but some posters held the view that they were different, and not from the tiara.

The ears-of-wheat's she wore in Canada where believed to be from the Ears-of-wehat tiara not the laurel-wreath tiara. Doubt it is possible to remove parts from the laurel-wreath tiara.

Last edited:
No, Maxima hasn't worn this laurel tiara.

Muriel, you are mixing up the laurel tiara with the ears-of-wheat tiara. That is another tiara which has a history of wedding tiara (all the van Vollenhoven princesses have worn it). But this tiara has never been worn by neither Beatrix nor Maxima.

Edit: You beat me, Stefan :flowers:
I agree with you. The laurel tiara does not look as if parts can be taken off.

Actually the laurel-wreath tiara reminds of the luxemburgian laurel-wreath tiara with the blue-sapphire in the center. A pitiy that it is worn so seldom.

The laurel tiara was the 18th birthday tiara of Princes Beatrix. Maybe it will also become Princes Amalia's 18th birthday tiara? That would be a very nice touch!

The ears-of-wheat's she wore in Canada where believed to be from the Ears-of-wehat tiara not the laurel-wreath tiara. Doubt it is possible to remove parts from the laurel-wreath tiara.

No, Maxima hasn't worn this laurel tiara.

Muriel, you are mixing up the laurel tiara with the ears-of-wheat tiara. That is another tiara which has a history of wedding tiara (all the van Vollenhoven princesses have worn it). But this tiara has never been worn by neither Beatrix nor Maxima.

Edit: You beat me, Stefan :flowers:
I agree with you. The laurel tiara does not look as if parts can be taken off.

You are both absolutely right, I stand corrected!

I like it even more so as a Wedding Tiara,however I don't recall seeing Maxima ever wearing the Laurel Wreath Tiara?

:previous: Maxima has never worn it. :sad:
The laurel wreath tiara is one of the few tiaras in the collection that she has never given a go. Afaik, Beatrix has only worn it as a young Princess. For several decades now it has only been worn by the other Princesses: Margriet, Laurentien, Christina and Maria Carolina.

I knew if anyone could answer that it would be our resident royal bling watcher/expert Madame Tilla :flowers:

:previous: Maxima has never worn it. :sad:
The laurel wreath tiara is one of the few tiaras in the collection that she has never given a go. Afaik, Beatrix has only worn it as a young Princess. For several decades now it has only been worn by the other Princesses: Margriet, Laurentien, Christina and Maria Carolina.
As far as i remember it was also never worn by Queen Juliana. So a tiara for Princesses.
Hope we will see the laurel-wreath tiara more when the three A's start to wear tiaras.

I believe it was a belated 18th birthday gift from Bernhard and Juliana to Beatrix, after Wilhelmina suppedly gave the Peacock tiara to Pss Irene to teach Beatrix an odd lesson. At least this is what the Spanish ambassador of the time wrote in his biography.

Originally the online royal jewel community thought the laurel tiara belonged to our first Wilhelmina of Prussia (wife of stadholder Willem V) or her daughter Louise (the unfortunate duchess of Brunswick). But I believe these days most think that the tiara was newly acquired. It makes a far better wedding tiara than the wheat ears, which usually disappears in the veils of the various brides.

Last edited:
I have never seen any picture that suggests that this tiara was in the family before Princess Beatrix 18th Birthday. Also I don’t know the source that makes some people claim that the tiara originates from Wilhelmina or Louise. Personally I believe that it is wishful thinking, and I really can’t see why a perfectly beautiful tiara like this would have stayed unused in the vaults for several generations? To me that doesn’t make sense. The only explanation I can think of is that the tiara had left the main line of the family and was bought back by Juliana & Bernhard. But that too is speculation, so please don quote me on that. ;)

[FONT=&quot]Marengo, the first picture of Beatrix in that blog post supposedly showed Princess Beatrix on the festivities of her 18th BD. If that is correct, then is it possible that Juliana and Bernhard acquired the tiara after Wilhelmina gave the peacock to Irene on the same birthday? I think that the gift must have been planned in advance.

It seems that this tiara never was a favourite of Princess Beatrix. She only wore it as a very young princess. And it can’t have been because of it’s size, because Beatrix often favoured small tiara, even as Queen. [/FONT]

According Els Smit, an expert of the magazine Vorsten Royale, the diamond Bandeau á la Grècque was made around 1800 and is therefore one of the eldest jewels in original and unaltered state in the Orange-Nassau collection.

For a long time it has been speculated that -like the emeralds- the diadem orginated from Princess Louise of Orange-Nassau (1770-1819). I think that was a matter of deduction: a diadem from the Napoleontic Era? And not disappared by inheritance? That must be from Princess Louise, the only daughter of Stadtholder Prince Willem V, the only sister of King Willem I, whom lived in exactly that era, whom remained childless and whose estate returned into the hands of her brother, the King. That theory indeed was not so far-sought.

In the end it indeed turned out that Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard purchased this beautiful and original diadem, made around 1800, in the 1950's.

Last edited:
I believe it was a belated 18th birthday gift from Bernhard and Juliana to Beatrix, after Wilhelmina suppedly gave the Peacock tiara to Pss Irene to teach Beatrix an odd lesson. At least this is what the Spanish ambassador of the time wrote in his biography.

Originally the online royal jewel community thought the laurel tiara belonged to our first Wilhelmina of Prussia (wife of stadholder Willem V) or her daughter Louise (the unfortunate duchess of Brunswick). But I believe these days most think that the tiara was newly acquired. It makes a far better wedding tiara than the wheat ears, which usually disappears in the veils of the various brides.

Any ideas what was the "odd lesson " Willem ina was trying to give Beatrix?

Back
Top Bottom