Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 3: August 2004 - June 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennism said:
Yes it seems a little overdone. They could have stuck with the 2 if they were good.

I agree, 4 bodyguards seems a bit much. But I am surprised that Princess Madeleine was been allowed to make private visits around (not to mention London a few year ago) , w/o any bodyguards up untill now. Most royals from other countries, whether or not they are senior royals, have 2 bodyguards with them at all times. Ex: Princess Harry has 2 bodyguards at all times, even though he is not the heir. I have read articles about how Sweden and many of the other scandinavian countries are considered "open" societies where bodyguards are rarely used, not even for the Prime Minister. However, I think it is silly for royals and top gov'tment official to go w/o protection as it could make them more of a target. I don't think that the elite in scandinavia should all have bodyguards like in some countries (i.e.- South American, Mexico), but I do think that it is important the royal, gov'tment official, other people in the public eyes should have the same adequate protection that the same people in other industrialized countries would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
theprincess said:
I agree, 4 bodyguards seems a bit much. But I am surprised that Princess Madeleine was been allowed to make private visits around (not to mention London a few year ago) , w/o any bodyguards up untill now. Most royals from other countries, whether or not they are senior royals, have 2 bodyguards with them at all times. Ex: Princess Harry has 2 bodyguards at all times, even though he is not the heir. I have read articles about how Sweden and many of the other scandinavian countries are considered "open" societies where bodyguards are rarely used, not even for the Prime Minister. However, I think it is silly for royals and top gov'tment official to go w/o protection as it could make them more of a target. I don't think that the elite in scandinavia should all have bodyguards like in some countries (i.e.- South American, Mexico), but I do think that it is important the royal, gov'tment official, other people in the public eyes should have the same adequate protection that the same people in other industrialized countries would have.
I think it's good that Säpo finally takes their protection of the "minor" royals serious - and even if 4 security guards seems a lot - I think it's okay, especially with the current situation.

Both Princess Madeleine and Prince Carl Philip has been very "free" up until the last few years, even driving themself and walking around freely. But a few years ago, after they had their first stalkers and the general climate got a bit "harder", they have both had security guard protection when on official engagements or places with large crowds.

Also, after the murder of Anna Lindh (then Minister for Foreign Affairs) - and also a bit before that - the general climate in the society has gotten a bit tougher - and the murder of her was a real wake-up call. Säpo (the Swedish security police that provides protection for royals and officials) was massively criticised for not forcing her to have protection (she didn't want it herself), and now they have hopefully gotten much better in their procedures. There was an official inquiry on their work a while ago - and now they have raised the protection for both the Royal Family and other officials and their funds have been increased.

Before all this, the only ones who have been "forced" to have protection by Säpo are the King, Queen, Crown Princess and Prime Minister. But this was then, now there are new times with a harder climate...

Last edited:
I thought it was oinly the king and the Prime Minister that got protection from Säpo that was written down in some kind of law and the queen and crown princess got it becouse they get much attention

Josefine said:
I thought it was oinly the king and the Prime Minister that got protection from Säpo that was written down in some kind of law and the queen and crown princess got it becouse they get much attention
The Head of State (the King) and the Prime Minister are the only ones obligated by law to have personal protection (as far as I know), but the Queen and the Crown Princess have always had it and always will - it's just taken as a given, considering their positions. Sorry if I expressed myself in an unclear way.

no worries
when was the first time madeleine started to get protection from Säpo

Attachments

• privateshopshop2003.JPG
    privateshopshop2003.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 650
  • ikea2005.JPG
    ikea2005.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 699
Last edited by a moderator:
No, she ran into it!
She drove her car and was behind the taxi. Both cars stopped at a traffic light and then Madeleine tought the taxi started to drive., but it didin´t so she ran into it.
Apparently the old lady was thrown against the window and then back again and later complained about neck pains. (Dunno if thats the whole truth, since Aftonbladet likes to twist the truth a bit :) )

Madeleine was so upset she "almost had tears in her eys" says the taxi driver.
The royal court told the press the princess is very sorry and that she is feeling terrible after causing the old lady this.
The royal court also said that Madeleine will send flowers to the lady!

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=236982

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,598146,00.html

Last edited:
Svenska dagbladet says, the old lady didn´t go to a hospital after the accident, so I guess in fact nothing really serious happened (wonder if the cars even have scratches or not). But it was surely a shock for the old lady...and the young Royal driver.

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/inrikes/did_9067593.asp

Poor old woman. I hope she is fine. I hope Madeleine will send flowers. It would be a nice thing to do. And to pay any damages to the taxi.

Article from Aftenposten in english:

Princess injured 85-year-old

Sweden's Princess Madeleine drove her Lexus into a taxi on Thursday afternoon, sending an 85-year-old woman head first into the windshield.

"The princess was so nervous she was trembling," the collision victim told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

The accident occurred in downtown Stockholm on Thursday afternoon. The 85-year-old has a heart condition and was returning home from a visit to Karolinska Hospital in a taxi.

According to palace information chief Ann-Christine Jernberg, Princess Madeleine had stopped her car behind the taxi when she thought she saw the cab begin to move. The princess then put her car in gear and drove into the taxi.

"The princess thought she saw the taxi roll forward. She "bumped" slowly into the taxi. There was no major impact," Jernberg said. "She just misjudged the situation."

The collision was hard enough to send the elderly passenger, sitting in the front seat, forward so that her head struck the windshield. She then struck her head on the neck support behind her. The woman has complained of neck pains after the accident.

Princess Madeleine said she was extremely sorry about the incident.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/world/article962005.ece

Last edited:
Lena said:
Article from Aftenposten in english:

Princess injured 85-year-old

Sweden's Princess Madeleine drove her Lexus into a taxi on Thursday afternoon, sending an 85-year-old woman head first into the windshield.

"The princess was so nervous she was trembling," the collision victim told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

The accident occurred in downtown Stockholm on Thursday afternoon. The 85-year-old has a heart condition and was returning home from a visit to Karolinska Hospital in a taxi.

According to palace information chief Ann-Christine Jernberg, Princess Madeleine had stopped her car behind the taxi when she thought she saw the cab begin to move. The princess then put her car in gear and drove into the taxi.

"The princess thought she saw the taxi roll forward. She "bumped" slowly into the taxi. There was no major impact," Jernberg said. "She just misjudged the situation."

The collision was hard enough to send the elderly passenger, sitting in the front seat, forward so that her head struck the windshield. She then struck her head on the neck support behind her. The woman has complained of neck pains after the accident.

Princess Madeleine said she was extremely sorry about the incident.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/world/article962005.ece

Uh oh...I realize this is an accident, but wasn't she in the paper last year for some kind of parking incident?

Last edited:
Oh. well things like that happen. And I think even the Kings cars have to be insured in Sweden. So the Kings insurance will have to pay. So I do not see any problem at all. Of course an accident always is uncool, but if they happen they happen.

sommone said:
Uh oh...I realize this is an accident, but wasn't she in the paper last year for some kind of parking incident?

She was several times in the papers, because of her behaviour in traffic:

June 2003:
Madeleine drove on a pedestrian street:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13356&postcount=182
or:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194&page=10&pp=20

August 2004:
Madeleine was spotted driving 160 kmph and she was phoning, while driving
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=117278&postcount=251

December 2004:
It became public, that the members of the Royal family (+ the court) have paid 2300 Euro in 4 years for parking tickets.
Madeleine has gotten 6 (counted until autumn 2004), since she drives her Lexus (I think she owns it since spring 2004)
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=153724&postcount=5

And now this...well, I think most ppl, who drive cars regularly know, that such things can happen. And IMO it´s very likeable, that she drives her car! Though I see, that she needs protection, I think it´s ok, that she drives and that the bodyguards just accompany her.

Last edited:
I think maybe she needs some road safety lessons or something. Sure, people have accidents and make mistakes but she seems to make a lot of them, and you cannot afford to do that on the road.

Danielle said:
I think maybe she needs some road safety lessons or something. Sure, people have accidents and make mistakes but she seems to make a lot of them, and you cannot afford to do that on the road.

I agree on the lessons. I don´t know if the PR-ladies at the court would think, this would be "good PR", but IMO it would be good, if she would attend such courses (e.g. a safety training) and the press would be allowed to report. So she would be an good example/role model for (other) rowdies on the road.
Don´t know, how they can teach her to pay parking tickets, but I guess and hope the report in december was so embarrasing for them, so that they have stopped to park without paying.

Danielle said:

I agree, Danielle. I would hate to see her cause serious harm to herself or to someone else. She has been very fortunate she hasn't caused any real damage. I mean the old lady hitting her head on the dash board is bad, but it could be so much more worse next time.

Expressen writes that the old lady who got hurt said this about Madeleine: She behaved very well during the incident and she is so sweet.
"I´ve been trough many things in my life, and this is really nothing. I just hope nothings happends (like neck pains?) after a while"

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=237731

Aftonbladet writes that Madeleine sent flowers and a card to 85 year old Lily. "It was so pretty I got tears in my eyes, Lily said"
Madeleine wrote:
"Jag är så ledsen över det som hänt och vill av hela mitt hjärta beklaga det inträffade"

Lily continues: It was really touching, and was very nice of her. I´ve never been involved in a car acident before, and when I am, the car is driven be a princess!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,599066,00.html

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
What does the card say exactly? I can´t read the last sentence. Her font is nice, very "girly"

This is the text on the card:

Dear Lily Bergqvist
I´m so sorry about what happend and, from the bottom of my heart, I regret what happend.
I hope that I this way can contribute to your recovery!
Yours faithfully/ best wishes Madeleine

Now the old lady has got a Autograph from Madeleine. I think thats quite worthy as the Royal Family dos not give autographs. Maybe it will get sold on ebay in future :)

Wow she seems to have written the card her self, I didn´t think they did that, but just sent some offical telegram through the court. Yes maybe that could be worth some money in the future, atleast for people like us on this board...

Yes, she must have written the card herself. The signature is identical to the one she wrote on a rock(?) when she was in Gävle in 2001...

Attachments

• signature.jpg
    signature.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,347
How very nice of Len to do this. Handwritten as well.

will she have to take driver's education, seeing that she doesn't do a good job of driving?

I dont think that will be necessary. Things like this happends all the time. And if it would have happend to an "ordinary person" no one would care.
But sure, she might be more careful from now on, as I dont think mummy and daddy likes press attantion like this :D

Yennie said:
I dont think that will be necessary. Things like this happends all the time. And if it would have happend to an "ordinary person" no one would care.
But sure, she might be more careful from now on, as I dont think mummy and daddy likes press attantion like this :D
Maybe Mum and Dad forbid her to drive herself and she gets a chaffeur.

Yennie said:

I agree. Most people who are in their twenties and have been driving for less than 10 yrs get into minor accidents. In fact, most people have been in at least one minor accident in their lives. Unfortunately for Princess Madeleine when she gets in one it will be in all of papers because of who she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom