Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 5: June-August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to me these is just a PR works why now she say something instead of two years ago:ermm:.
It was an interview she did, for publicity purposes and the questions about Catherine were asked and answered.

This article about Belle R and Kate is very interesting. What does she mean by "political problem with the press"?

Despite what many people believe, Belle says Kate got no official support: "Only if she were a fiancée would she get support. She said she can turn to William's press guy if there's a political problem with the press, but only if it's serious."

i really like Jigsaw by the way. There's one here in Santa Monica on the promenade and the dresses are so lovely.

Last edited:
Do we have any idea of who the 2 girls were she arrived with?

I believe the woman in red and black is Emilia d'Erlanger -- I posted comparison photos at my blog, and I'm pretty sure it's her. I don't know who the other woman is.

She genuinely wanted a job but she needed an element of flexibility to continue the relationship with a very high-profile man and a life that she can't dictate. She's going to be dictated to when she's needed and not needed." Together Belle and Kate worked out a job in accessories that she could do three days a week.

That doesn't sound too nice towards Kate, does it? She makes Kate sound like a booty call for William who has to be available at all times. Why should Kate have had a problem working more than 3 days a week because of her relationship? Wasn't William busy with Sandhurst and the military at the time? He would hardly have had time for her during the week - so why would she not have been able to work 5 days?

That doesn't sound too nice towards Kate, does it? She makes Kate sound like a booty call for William who has to be available at all times. Why should Kate have had a problem working more than 3 days a week because of her relationship? Wasn't William busy with Sandhurst and the military at the time? He would hardly have had time for her during the week - so why would she not have been able to work 5 days?
I suppose that if he was given a long weekend or a holiday between certain dates, she would be expected to be available.

One of the burdens of dating a Prince perhaps.

It really doesn't sound good, especially in light of all the reports calling for her to find a career. I'm curious as to what these vague "demands" are on a royal girlfriend, beyond the obvious inconveniences of the paparazzi. If she just needed to be available for parties, vacations, and the like, that doesn't reflect well. It's not like she was needed for official business. It just gives credence to those who claim she is biding her time waiting for a proposal. If I were Kate, I'm not sure I'd be at all happy about that part of the interview.

My OH is in the Army and I must admit it would make our lives alot easier if I could work part-time and have a degree of flexible working. But we have a mortgage to pay so that puts paid to that.

Good Luck to Kate if she can find a job that fulfils those needs and she can afford it. I don't blame her in the slightist.

When you are in a relationship with a member of the armed forces - the army, navy or raf are in charge I'm afraid - which is where I think the dictated when needed and not needed comes from.

so we've finally heard from a source that's actually used their name. this could be bad. if catherine gave them her blessing to speak to the press then it's bad and if they've spoken to the press of their own accord, they may have to forget any royal endorsements they may have received in the future.

She was just probably trying to help explain Kate's working position. There has been so much criticism about the hours she kept there. I don't think she meant any of it to sound badly. As far as Kate needing to be available, part of the package that comes with dating William is the need to have an easily freed schedule. Would it sound better if William had to re-schedule military or royal duties to accomodate Kate? Then she would be portrayed as a selfish girl with no regard to William's position.

When you are in a relationship with a member of the armed forces - the army, navy or raf are in charge I'm afraid - which is where I think the dictated when needed and not needed comes from.
Yes they are and it is such a normal part of life to have to cancel or re schedule arrangements, etc. Even William would be subject to having his time off rearranged. :flowers:

She was just probably trying to help explain Kate's working position. There has been so much criticism about the hours she kept there. I don't think she meant any of it to sound badly. As far as Kate needing to be available, part of the package that comes with dating William is the need to have an easily freed schedule. Would it sound better if William had to re-schedule military or royal duties to accomodate Kate? Then she would be portrayed as a selfish girl with no regard to William's position.

I think it's a no-win situation, just like almost everything surrounding Kate right now. Her fashion choices, her career decisions -- everything is going to be skewed by the press to fit with the portrait of Kate they've chosen to use. But I still think that organizing a job around a boyfriend makes Kate look bad, even if Belle Robinson was just trying to defend Kate. We all know that Kate doesn't need to work to make money, but arranging a job around a significant other's schedule before an engagement will seem a little questionable to some.

Exactly, kimebear. It's all part of the package of dating a prince. I also agree that what that girl said wasn't so terrible. It sounds as if she was just trying to explain Kate's predicament. I've never thought of Kate as a GF who's lazy and on-call. On the contrary, I think she's mature and she's proving that she can deal with all the restrictions and obligations that may be to come. I also tend to think that her personality gives William the space he needs. (At least that's my opinion about his personality.) If she was selfish and needy, she'd never have been able to make it this long.

........but arranging a job around a significant other's schedule before an engagement will seem a little questionable to some.
I don't know why it would seem questionable, it's a part of life for some couples. If you are dating someone who's life and work isn't a typical structured 9 to 5 one then sacrifices are going to have to be made. If you are serious about your relationship then you are going to do what you can to make it work.

I don't know why it would seem questionable, it's a part of life for some couples. If you are dating someone who's life and work isn't a typical structured 9 to 5 one then sacrifices are going to have to be made. If you are serious about your relationship then you are going to do what you can to make it work.

I agree with you. But I think those who would think it was a questionable choice are those who already believe that Kate is foregoing establishing a life for herself, with a career based on her own ambitions instead of one based on a convenient schedule for seeing her boyfriend, because she's just waiting for a proposal. They'd argue that she's arranging her life solely for the convenience of another person.

It's not the kind of career choice I would make; but then, I'm not dating a royal prince. I'm just saying that I think those already critical to Kate will jump on something like this because it could potentially be read that way.

Ella Kay...and let's not forget the green-eyed monster. Lol! If they're a good team together, which they appear to be, I hope they get married and I will wish them the best. :)

Some more pictures at the DM inlcuding Princess Anne and Autumn and Peter.

Kate Middleton legs it at second Royal wedding without her Prince | Mail Online

I agree with people at thefashoinspot, once she's engaged and on her way to being Princess someone in the fashion world will take her under their wing and give Kate a makeover. She always looks appropriate and poised but also predictable and dull, she doesn't wear things to flatter herself...great hair though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ella Kay...and let's not forget the green-eyed monster. Lol! If they're a good team together, which they appear to be, I hope they get married and I will wish them the best. :)

Oh, that green-eyed monster, always messing about in things. ;)

Prince William seems to have been in love with her for a long time, and the feelings appear to be mutual. As long as that's true, I think they'll surely be happy together. :flowers:

Gosh, I don't think Kate needs a makeover. I've always thought she dresses very appropriately. If anything, she could take the York gals under HER wing, in my most humble opinion. :)

Catherine has taste, elegance and sheer class. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, I don't think Kate needs a makeover. I've always thought she dresses very appropriately. If anything, she could take the York gals under HER wing, in my most humble opinion. :)

Lol, Monika! I'm also quite satisfied with the way Kate dresses. I like that she always dresses conservative and clean. I'd like to see a bit more color on her, but that's about it. But lol@ your York comments... maybe a bit brutal but true :)

I think it's a no-win situation, just like almost everything surrounding Kate right now. Her fashion choices, her career decisions -- everything is going to be skewed by the press to fit with the portrait of Kate they've chosen to use. But I still think that organizing a job around a boyfriend makes Kate look bad, even if Belle Robinson was just trying to defend Kate. We all know that Kate doesn't need to work to make money, but arranging a job around a significant other's schedule before an engagement will seem a little questionable to some.

I don't know. It states at least that Catherine tried to find a job actively even though her time was limited for whatever reasons. She could have said: okay, I don't need to work at all, so am happy to stay at home waiting for his call. Good for her!

But slowly I start to think that he should ask her to marry him and do it soon, as this time of waiting costs Catherine dearly. And once she starts to think that she pays much more than she gets for the relationship, she'll start to follow Diana's path. She could be starting to believe that a Royal position was her due and not her duty, that she has a right to something in return for the love she offers to William and that would be a very dangerous development indeed.

But slowly I start to think that he should ask her to marry him and do it soon, as this time of waiting costs Catherine dearly. And once she starts to think that she pays much more than she gets for the relationship, she'll start to follow Diana's path. She could be starting to believe that a Royal position was her due and not her duty, that she has a right to something in return for the love she offers to William and that would be a very dangerous development indeed.

The more I see them the more I have an awkward feeling and this has nothing to do with Kate (yes, I am one of those who don't fancy her lifestyle but that's a different story). Somehow it's about William and I can't see him settling down because he really wants to, a decision taken from the bottom of his heart. Firstly, he's the child of his parents who somehow knew from the day of their wedding or even before that their relationship was doomed. Look at Charles, he was kind of bullied into marrying Diana by his family and finally the media and it all went wrong. Secondly, look at his uncles who were either not ready, took the wrong choice or waited for ages before settling down ... it's just my feeling that all this must have and does have consequences on his own life decisions what makes it very, very difficult for Kate or any other girl he will probably marry. I see William very much as an emotional person, like his parents, not being able to separate feelings from duty unlike his "iron" grandparents who put their duty and service for their country above everything, including their personal feelings or emotional situations for the sake of the institution.

I see William very much as an emotional person, like his parents, not being able to separate feelings from duty unlike his "iron" grandparents who put their duty and service for their country above everything, including their personal feelings or emotional situations for the sake of the institution.

But then his grandmother married the man she loved and still loves and he has been gentleman enough to be at least very discreet - there are only rumours that he had a mistress, no real proof. But you're right: I cannot see William, a young man of today being able to uphold a facade when there is so much public intrusion in his life and no real high price to pay in case he admits to his faults, as his father did.

But maybe we are all wrong. But since the Robinson-interview I personally started to doubt William's willingness to stand in for Catherine. I mean Mrs. Robinson did not say so much about Catherine, but of the very few things she said she obviously found it important to mention that Catherine would only get help from William's staff in case he or his family were directly afflicted (= that's how I interpret "political" in this context). My impression was that Belle Robinson pities Catherine as a person, that she likes her but that she pities for her situation.

Obviously William really is not such a high prize, unlike his father who at William's age already showed the promise of a deep thinker besides being a good soldier, according to Dimbleby. It was enough to impress even politicians who, when Charles had successfully finished his Navy career after a final year as commander of a ship, tried to get him appointed as governor-General of Australia because they were convinced he would be a success there as well. I doubt anyone would recommend William at the moment as a Royal representative in such an important position...

Somehow it's about William and I can't see him settling down because he really wants to, a decision taken from the bottom of his heart. Firstly, he's the child of his parents who somehow knew from the day of their wedding or even before that their relationship was doomed. Look at Charles, he was kind of bullied into marrying Diana by his family and finally the media and it all went wrong. Secondly, look at his uncles who were either not ready, took the wrong choice or waited for ages before settling down ... it's just my feeling that all this must have and does have consequences on his own life decisions what makes it very, very difficult for Kate or any other girl he will probably marry.

I've always wondered if it's not really the two of them waiting until they're ready for a committed relationship, but instead waiting until they're ready to get married and start a family. I think the length and duration of their relationship, even weathering break-ups, says that they're in it for the long haul, and that they probably love each other deeply.

I think William has chosen already who he will marry, and I think it's Kate. But I'm sure that William is aware of the increased pressure on both of them that's inevitable once they marry, and he may be holding off because of that. And because Kate will be expected to give birth to an heir fairly soon after the marriage, they may also be waiting until they're older and more ready to be parents.

All my own speculation, of course.

I see William very much as an emotional person, like his parents, not being able to separate feelings from duty
Emotional? What feelings and from which duty?
Duke of Marmalade said:
. . . . . . unlike his "iron" grandparents who put their duty and service for their country above everything, including their personal feelings or emotional situations for the sake of the institution.
. . . "iron"? Did I miss something truely major? Did Princess Elizabeth not marry the Prince of her dreams. Did they not just celebrate their 60th Wedding anniversary? Have we marked the passing years by shaking our heads and noting how utterly miserable they are and how unhealthy it is to stay in such an unhappay "institution"?

Yes they put duty and service above everything. Most people of their generation did. If their marriages weren't perfect they worked at it! They have have obviously failed to embrace the notion of "its all about me".

Their private lives have remained just that, private!

I think William has chosen already who he will marry, and I think it's Kate. But I'm sure that William is aware of the increased pressure on both of them that's inevitable once they marry, and he may be holding off because of that. And because Kate will be expected to give birth to an heir fairly soon after the marriage, they may also be waiting until they're older and more ready to be parents.

good point, ella kay! and as much as i'd love to see a big royal wedding and bouncing royal babies, there's nothing worse than having these 2 pressured into a marriage before their time. i'd like them to start their life together with a bit of independence and control. i just hope that time won't take too long to come. because if they break up before the time is right, i fear kate will be regarded as "that girl who could have been... the right girl at the wrong time."

and by the way, your blog is OUTSTANDING! never have i seen anything so current. it definitely is a one-stop destination for wills & kate watchers.

good point, ella kay! and as much as i'd love to see a big royal wedding and bouncing royal babies, there's nothing worse than having these 2 pressured into a marriage before their time. i'd like them to start their life together with a bit of independence and control. i just hope that time won't take too long to come. because if they break up before the time is right, i fear kate will be regarded as "that girl who could have been... the right girl at the wrong time."

I don't think we'll have to wait much longer to find out. I don't think that Kate's appearances at the Phillips wedding and at Garter Day are coincidental ... I think they're preparing her for the big stuff to come. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an engagement announcement in the fall with almost another year to wait before a wedding. By that time, they'll both be 27, and I'm sure lots more of their peers will be getting married, too.

(But this is straying from current events to engagement speculation, so let me add that I don't think that her attendance at Lady Rose's wedding is nearly so significant as the Phillips wedding showing on behalf of William. I think she and Rose are probably just friends.)

And I'm glad you like the blog! I'm having lots of fun with it. :flowers:

^Ya I think they are just friends actually one of the articles on your blog mentions that BP said she wasn't representing William.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom