Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 15: June-July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla looks wonderful in the blue but usually she wears two small flower brooches with this outfit. Now, I'm pretty sure that I saw the Queen wearing them when she visited that museum with a sculpture of Camilla in. I'm off on a picture hunt.

Let's get off the subject of The Royalist, please. People who don't like what they have to offer can just ignore them; people who do like what they have to offer are welcome to share facts from there with the other members here, but we aren't going to tolerate journalistic innuendo and schadenfreude masquerading as fact, whether it comes from The Royalist, The Sun, The Mirror, The Times, or any other source.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

BeatrixFan said:
Camilla looks wonderful in the blue but usually she wears two small flower brooches with this outfit. Now, I'm pretty sure that I saw the Queen wearing them when she visited that museum with a sculpture of Camilla in. I'm off on a picture hunt.

When you mentioned it, I also remembered those brooches and searched my files and found this picture of Camilla (her recent visit to Lloyds). The brooches are very alike but they are not the same, unless you were talking of different ones.
From face to face and getty

12-1.jpg

53068646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
I couldn't be more proud to be patron at Llangollen

PRINCE Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall delighted visitors when they flew into the International Eisteddfod yesterday.
Yeah, "my darling wife" is back again...:):D

Avalon and BeatrixFan, are you sure with the brooch? Camilla´s seems to be shamrocks, the Queen´s flowers...

I just found this on abaca-press

Lady Lieutenant of Powys Mrs Legge Bourke curtsies for the Prince of Wales during his visit to Cwmdu Church in Wales Primary School near Crickhowell in Powys, UK on July 6, 2006.
Who is this and what she is doing? :confused:

Elspeth said:
Let's get off the subject of The Royalist, please. People who don't like what they have to offer can just ignore them; people who do like what they have to offer are welcome to share facts from there with the other members here, but we aren't going to tolerate journalistic innuendo and schadenfreude masquerading as fact, whether it comes from The Royalist, The Sun, The Mirror, The Times, or any other source.

If Skydragon is right and RFs have someone watching the internet for them, be it PR-employee or friend, then yoour aabove statement is exactly why these forums are quite the good place to look - I'm again and again astonished about the sheer amount of reliable facts, pictures and links which are to be found here! Plus you really do a great job at moderating, even though I am one whose postings get reviewed and deleted occassionally. ;)

About the word "Schadenfreude" - is it really a word used in the English language? - for I was seeking for a translation but didn't come up with something suitable except combinations like "enjoyment of other's mistakes" which isn't exactly what the word in German says, as the interesting lingual aspect is the combination of the negative "Schaden" (which means "damage" or harm" - in any case something serious and hurtful) with the positive word "Freude" which contains something innocent and joyful in its meaning. Through this combination it mirrors the character of the person and describes much more than just amusement about other peope's unhappiness. Maybe "malicious joy" is a suitable translation. Or, well, "schadenfreude"! :)

hornsen said:
I just found this on abaca-press

Lady Lieutenant of Powys Mrs Legge Bourke curtsies for the Prince of Wales during his visit to Cwmdu Church in Wales Primary School near Crickhowell in Powys, UK on July 6, 2006.

Who is this and what she is doing? :confused:

A relation of "Tiggy"Legge-Bourke, the former nanny of William and Harry, who is said to be a friend of the prince and Camilla?

Who is this and what she is doing?

It's Tiggy's mother I believe and she's doing the very clever manoeuvre of kissing him on both cheeks and then dropping an extremely low curtsey. When you see it, it looks extremely elegant but it doesn't come off well in photographs.

About the word "Schadenfreude" - is it really a word used in the English language? - for I was seeking for a translation but didn't come up with something suitable except combinations like "enjoyment of other's mistakes" which isn't exactly what the word in German says, as the interesting lingual aspect is the combination of the negative "Schaden" (which means "damage" or harm" - in any case something serious and hurtful) with the positive word "Freude" which contains something innocent and joyful in its meaning. Through this combination it mirrors the character of the person and describes much more than just amusement about other peope's unhappiness. Maybe "malicious joy" is a suitable translation. Or, well, "schadenfreude"! :)

It's one of those somewhat untranslatable words, which is why I staged a cop-out and left it in the original German:D ; it's one of those things that you know it when you see it, though. I was rather struck, looking at the Royalist site the other day, by the number of comments (not in the actual articles so much, but in the blog-type comments underneath them) about how the Wales marriage isn't doing well and Camilla's not making a success of her new position, with all the "poor Camilla, what a shame for her" stuff, written by people who are so clearly dying for Camilla to be having these problems in real life and who would be purely delighted to find that she was thoroughly unhappy. We occasionally get people indulging in that sort of dishonest spite here, but not very often, I'm pleased to say; as you pointed out, it doesn't reflect very well on the person writing it. I think the format there, with the ability to write comments underneath an article, lends itself to that sort of thing somewhat more easily than a threaded board like this.

BeatrixFan said:
It's Tiggy's mother I believe and she's doing the very clever manoeuvre of kissing him on both cheeks and then dropping an extremely low curtsey. When you see it, it looks extremely elegant but it doesn't come off well in photographs.

It certainly doesn't. It wasn't clear whether she was trying to strangle him or doing something thoroughly X-rated.:D

It certainly doesn't. It wasn't clear whether she was trying to strangle him or doing something thoroughly X-rated.

LOL. It does indeed. You see alot of the Europeans doing it. For example, there's a pic of Mette-Marit half-way through a kiss-curtsey with Camilla.

Elspeth said:
I was rather struck, looking at the Royalist site the other day, by the number of comments (not in the actual articles so much, but in the blog-type comments underneath them) about how the Wales marriage isn't doing well and Camilla's not making a success of her new position, with all the "poor Camilla, what a shame for her" stuff, written by people who are so clearly dying for Camilla to be having these problems in real life and who would be purely delighted to find that she was thoroughly unhappy.
Hm, yes, I guess there are still a lot of people like that around. I'm still thinking about Skydragon's claim that the Royal PR-people follow forums and webpages like this and the Royalist to keep informed about what people take serious and what not when it comes to published articles (Just wanted to add that this is my interpretation of what she said :)). I wasn't so sure it happens that way but come to think of it - it's quite a good way to get a feeling about the people's reaction to articles.

Well, be it as it is - IMHO the POW did a good PR-stunt towards people who believed in the "strife"-theory when he just called Camilla "his beloved wife" again in public. It has that "twinkle" aspect which I think is a speciality of the prince! Great move - whether he had the idea by himself or was guided by people who advised him to react in this very elegant and witty way to all the rumours about the state of the Waleses' marriage.:)

Last edited:
Well, when I telephoned BP for something a while back, I mentioned a website that was giving some info (it was a hospitality issue for those interested) and they said, "Oh yes, we know about that one". So I think they do have a regular check of any Royal sites that spring up.

Who is this and what she is doing?

At first I though she was about to fall and Prince Charles was holding her. He is definitely holding her though (in the 2nd pic), maybe trying to prevent a still deeper bow. :D

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
LOL. It does indeed. You see alot of the Europeans doing it. For example, there's a pic of Mette-Marit half-way through a kiss-curtsey with Camilla.

This has probably been hashed over ad nauseam elsewhere, but why would one crown princess be curtseying to another? Aren't they of equal rank?

Maybe the younger will curtsey to the older crown princess as a matter of courtesy?

Apparantly, Mette-Marit curtseyed because Camilla's a representative of the Queen and Elizabeth has reigned longer than Harald and so got a curtsey from Mette-Marit. That was the 'official reason'.

Jo of Palatine said:
About the word "Schadenfreude" - is it really a word used in the English language? :)

In Polish it is used too :) Even people who cannot speak German understand it very well. It is a kind of German-international term I believe :D

Elspeth said:
It's one of those somewhat untranslatable words, which is why I staged a cop-out and left it in the original German:D ; it's one of those things that you know it when you see it, though..

According to the Brockhampton Reference Dictionary and my husband, :D Schadenfreude means 'malicious glee'.

Skydragon said:
According to the Brockhampton Reference Dictionary and my husband, :D Schadenfreude means 'malicious glee'.

That sounds like a good translation when I look it up in the dictionaries. But isn't "glee" already a bit negative like "gloat"? I got the impression from reading english books that the word is mostly used in situations where something malicious is implied along with the jollity. Or would you use it rather neutrally on its own or even positive like mirth, gaiety, cheerfulness etc.?

Elspeth said:
This has probably been hashed over ad nauseam elsewhere, but why would one crown princess be curtseying to another? Aren't they of equal rank?
I thought it has to do with who's the hostess. Camilla was hostess to CP Mette-Marit and CP Haakon, thus the guest showed the mistress of the house her reference. Even then Mette-Marit probably could have avoided a curtsey but as Camilla is so many years her senior it still is a nice gesture, IMHO.

And we don't know what's going on behind the closed door of Clarence House - after all the Norwegian Royals are cousins of the POW from both queen Maud/king Haakon's and both queen Elizabeth/prince Philip's side. Haakon and Mette-Marit lived in London after their wedding, so I'm sure they've met Camilla before she became the wife of the POW. So it could be that it was a public showing of appreciation from CP Mette-Marit's side to the now official CP of the UK.

Another question for those who know how the British upper class tend to view things: did the divorce of Camilla Parker-Bowles change her status within the society? Was the Van Cutsem-wedding only one occasion of others, where Camilla found out that her social staus had diminished after the divorce from APB?

Jo of Palatine said:
That sounds like a good translation when I look it up in the dictionaries. But isn't "glee" already a bit negative like "gloat"? I got the impression from reading english books that the word is mostly used in situations where something malicious is implied along with the jollity.

glee - mirth, delight (watched the enemy's defeat with delight)
mirth - merriment, laughter, gloat - consider or contemplate with malice.

Taking pleasure in someone else's misfortune I think is the best description I can come up with. Goodness isn't English complicated! :D

The latest pics of Camilla show her wearing this odd skirt that looks like it has the Prince of Wales feathers on it. I know she loves her man, but I hope I'm wrong because that would be kind of excessive...not to mention weird, freaky!:D

Jo of Palatine said:
Did the divorce of Camilla Parker-Bowles change her status within the society? Was the Van Cutsem-wedding only one occasion of others, where Camilla found out that her social staus had diminished after the divorce from APB?

The divorce only altered her status within her own circle, as with any divorced couple, people take sides. Her friends knew of her relationship with Charles and rallied around when it became public and they knew the truth about the allegations made by others. So no her social status was unchanged, IMO.

She was welcome at the events she had always attended as Camilla P-B, the problem arose at the Van Cutsems, because Charles wanted her to be sat with him and they did not want to be seen officially, to condone the relationship.

Perhaps we owe them a vote of thanks, without their stupidity, IMO, the issue may not have been raised and Charles and Camilla would not now be married.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
Perhaps we owe them a vote of thanks, without their stupidity, IMO, the issue may not have been raised and Charles and Camilla would not now be married.

I think Prince Charles has waited for the chance to marry Camilla for about 10 ten years already. He chose to put the feelings of Queen Mother and his sons first and Camilla accepted that. After the death of his grandmother, Charles wanted to marry Camilla but he chose to wait until Harry became of age (21 years old). However Camilla was not allowed to sit with him in such a society marriage and it was a huge embrassment or public humuliation to both of them. Under that situation, it was hard for Charles to sit with Camilla during her children's weddings and the falling of Major Shand's health, so on and so on. Any way, year 2005 was a perfect time for their marriage.

Chiyo said:
Maybe the younger will curtsey to the older crown princess as a matter of courtesy?

You would think so but Mette-Marit also curtsies to Victoria who is younger then her...

pollyemma said:
You would think so but Mette-Marit also curtsies to Victoria who is younger then her...

But Victoria is a Crown Princess in her own right - i.e. she holds the same position as Mette-Marit's husband not Mette-Marit herself.

Mette-Marit is only a Crown Princess by marriage.

I would expect ALL other Crown Princesses to curtsey to Victoria, if they are curtseying to anyone.

I think the others curtesying to Camilla is a recognition that of the Crown Princes, Charles is the oldest and therefore the most senior.

Camilla and Charles arrive for the Order of the Thistle service at St.Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland where she and her husband along with other members of the Royal family observed the nationwide two minute silence in honour of the many dead and injured from last year's London bombings. Reuters

Skydragon said:
Camilla and Charles arrive for the Order of the Thistle service at St.Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland where she and her husband along with other members of the Royal family observed the nationwide two minute silence in honour of the many dead and injured from last year's London bombings.
GOD!!!:eek: Why did her stylist take a day off???

But Iam proud of them for observing the moment of silence with every body.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom