Prince Louis and Princess Tessy to Divorce: January 18, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Louis hasn't come out of this squeaky clean. People have wondered about his unreasonable behavior and role in the break down of the marriage. His lower profile and silence protects him somewhat.

Certainly Princess Tessy can take legal action on some reports but that takes time and money. She can't go after each comment or story.

Prenups / post-nups can be challenged.

As always, we can never know what goes on behind the closed doors of a marriage. Yes, Tessy was happy to marry a Prince with no succession rights, but whatever else he lost, he obviously was never at a loss for money to support them and their children and to allow them both to complete their education.

Louis' position in society was assured and Tessy, as his wife gained an entree into a lifestyle few can aspire to. Not surprisingly, for a close family, the marriage was regularised and the title HRH Princess bestowed on Tessy.

However given the announcement that upon her decree nisi she lost her titles it is hard to understand why she would go so far as to list a title that she never had and does not acually exist at all. Makes me reexamine her motives.

Calling herself P de Luxembourg is not creating her brand because she was never Princess de Luxembourg and if it were just branding I would understand if she called herself P de Nassau. But talking to the media having previously given an interview asking for privacy coupled with the whole title deal seems like an attempt to drag in the ex-in-laws.

Yes, Tessy managed three years married to Louis without the title 'Princess" but now she is in the unenviable situation where she is no longer Prince Louis' wife and is also no longer a princess.

I mostly agree but one correction: she is a princess of Luxembourg (until the divorce is finalized). Her sons are only princes of Nassau (just like the children of Felix and Claire) but she was made princess of Luxembourg by her father-in-law.

As usual, it takes 2 to tango. I don't see both as black and white at all. My guess is that most of the financial back up Louis has belongs to his parents.

I don't think this is about the boys, they will be provided for anyway, certainly by their grand parents.

Tessy has a good education and can provide for herself so I guess that this about what Tessy feels is hers - and she decided to fight for it, be it because she's greedy or feels hurt or feels entitled because of what has been going on behind closed doors or because she simply has a good reason to do so that we don't know about.

Very sad, especially if there is no pre-nup to take care of such situations.

This tell me that a prenuptial and/or a post-nuptial agreement was not signed.
This was a very stupid move by the GDF, especially given the unconventional union of Louis and Tessy.

Certainly in a UK court, where this divorce is being sought, a pre-nuptial agreement has no legal bearing in itself. A judge may choose to take cognizance of a pre-nup, but that is as far as it goes.

Usually a pre-nuptial agreement protects what was owned by person A and by person B before the marriage. Then it comes to the marriage itself. Usually this is an union of A and B and what has been acquired or earned during said marriage equally belongs to A and B, no matter A maybe brings the bucks home and B maybe is the housewife.

It is easy for to divide what was owned before the marriage by Ms Antony and by Prince Louis. But now they are divorcing, what has been acquired during the state of marriage needs to be divided, plus who feeds the bill for the alimony for the children plus what are the legal arrangements for the ex-partners and their children?

Prince Louis was just a junior Prince. His eldest brother Prince Guillaume will have protected the assets of his House when he engaged into marriage with Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy, otherwise she could claim half of the grand-ducal assets in the eventuality of a divorce.

Prince Louis hasn't come out of this squeaky clean. People have wondered about his unreasonable behavior and role in the break down of the marriage. His lower profile and silence protects him somewhat.

Certainly Princess Tessy can take legal action on some reports but that takes time and money. She can't go after each comment or story.

Prenups / post-nups can be challenged.

I think she'd be very ill -advised, She hasn't kept a low profile, and so she's "out there" for comment. and her actions in getting pregnant by a Prince do seem a bit odd. IF the pregnancy was an accident, why didn't they get married before the baby was born? was the LRF agains it and didn't want them to marry?
And if it wasnt' an accident?

I feel sorry for TRH the Grand Duc and the Grand Duchess who generous welcomed he pregnant Ms Antony.
This public Divorce , not the first one (Prince jean) is sad for the GD family.

I think she'd be very ill -advised, She hasn't kept a low profile, and so she's "out there" for comment. and her actions in getting pregnant by a Prince do seem a bit odd. IF the pregnancy was an accident, why didn't they get married before the baby was born? was the LRF agains it and didn't want them to marry?
I think the GDF and Antony family handled the unexpected pregnancy well. Louis and Tessy were only a couple for about a year. Why rush to marry? They had their baby, continued the relationship, and decided on marriage.

Last edited:

"Her actions in getting pregnant by a prince do seem a bit odd"
???

With all respect Denville, that is a very sexist and feudal attitude. I seem to recall that it takes two to get pregnant

P Louis is equally to blame........he could have used contraception, he's not the innocent in this

I have to say that I really do find all this unwarranted criticism of Princess Tessy strange. Very similar to the criticism in Lux I would assume, and yet it's a testament to her character and resolve that she has done so much with her life and is making a difference.

Remember she could live the life of the idle rich but she chooses not to. What does that say about her?

that she's sensible enough to realise that if she's royal, she has to be seen doing something with her life....

that she's sensible enough to realise that if she's royal, she has to be seen doing something with her life....

She doesn't have to do anything

Gaining the academic qualifications that she has and being involved in the causes that she has taken on takes intelligence, determination and lots and lots of hard work

She could have cut a few ribbons and attended a few functions if she was concerned to be seen doing something with her life.......

Really, I see a young lady who even being married to a royal prince, having 2 babies and carrying out duties who gets her education, pursues a career in helping others as someone with strong character and conviction. She is sure more then someone who could cut ribbon and do nothing else in life except lunch just because she married a prince and is now getting a divorce. Maybe royal life is not all that it is cracked up to be in any royal family. I admire her for taking on the world and trying to make it a better place for others while some sit and lunch and shop.

Really, I see a young lady who even being married to a royal prince, having 2 babies and carrying out duties who gets her education, pursues a career in helping others as someone with strong character and conviction. She is sure more then someone who could cut ribbon and do nothing else in life except lunch just because she married a prince and is now getting a divorce. Maybe royal life is not all that it is cracked up to be in any royal family. I admire her for taking on the world and trying to make it a better place for others while some sit and lunch and shop.
How right you are ! At least being a Princess gave her opportunities to develop and do good..... she took advantage of these opportunities proving she is a very smart Lady.....:flowers:

I think the GDF and Antony family handled the unexpected pregnancy well. Louis and Tessy were only a couple for about a year. Why rush to marry? They had their baby, continued the relationship, and decided on marriage.
I absolutely agree Prisma. It amazes me that quite a few people believe Royals need to maintain this perceived "18th century high-moral standing", i.e. need to be married within a year or so after meeting partner, no children out of wedlock etc. It is very hypocritical, to say the least! And it's worse for female partners of Princes and royal-born Princesses. Louis and Tessy did what most adults would have done - accept the reality that they were expecting a child.

YES YES YES! I admire Tessy for still forging an education and career despite gaining a huge amount of responsibility at a young age. She has used her position to help others and to promote causes that are close to her heart. She is, in my eyes, in the same category as Mary and Maxima in this respect. I know I'll get roasted for this, but I wished HGD Stephanie was a little more like Tessy, Mary and Maxima.

Since Louis and Tessy were granted a Decree Nisi in February, their marriage is ended and a Decree Absolute is granted after the custody and financial situations are finalised which is proving problematic.

The photo of Tessy arriving at the High Court to discuss the settlement identified her as Tessy Antony which makes me wonder if the title is part of the disputed settlement. Claims that Louis or the LRF colluded with the tabloid rag Privat, calling Tessy a golddigger don't sit well as does the claim that her name was scrubbed from family website pretty quickly when in fact it took over five months are strange. One makes no sense and the other is easily disproved.

"Privat" has been less than kind about GD MT weight and HGD Stephanie not being able to conceive. Hardly the sort of media outlet you would choose to share your divorce details with.

They are not divorced until decree absolute. I understand that the The Royal Court can decree what her title is (ie Tessa Antony) but that doesn't change her status as his wife.

As an outsider looking in, he looks so wimpy. But that is a personal opinion based on pix and will NEVER stand up to scrutiny.

Also LuxRF will do anything to block outside interest - divorce in RC family being a real problem. Why didn't they just sort it out before court appearance FGS?

I absolutely agree Prisma. It amazes me that quite a few people believe Royals need to maintain this perceived "18th century high-moral standing", i.e. need to be married within a year or so after meeting partner, no children out of wedlock etc. It is very hypocritical, to say the least! And it's worse for female partners of Princes and royal-born Princesses. Louis and Tessy did what most adults would have done - accept the reality that they were expecting a child.

YES YES YES! I admire Tessy for still forging an education and career despite gaining a huge amount of responsibility at a young age. She has used her position to help others and to promote causes that are close to her heart. She is, in my eyes, in the same category as Mary and Maxima in this respect. I know I'll get roasted for this, but I wished HGD Stephanie was a little more like Tessy, Mary and Maxima.

You will never get roasted by me here, for I completely and totally agree with you about the highlighted area of yr comment.......I so admire women that are strong and have courage to take on the world and at any age they can and do become role models for all women of all ages, even ones like me, an ole lady of the past.:flowers:

It is really unfortunate that it has come to this. I just hope their children will be unaffected by their divorce. :sad:

I wished HGD Stephanie was a little more like Tessy, Mary and Maxima.

Can we not diss Stephanie? She is just as lovely as the other ladies. (And if we really want to pick on someone, I still cannot stomach what Tessy said the other day : "That anyone with will power can do what she did.") :ermm:

:previous:
I really don't think anyone is wanting to dish on Stephanie at all, it was just an observation being made of the differences in her and Tessy. Yes all the ladies of Luxembourg are very nice and respected by the people. Yet each does their own thing in regards to work and events.

It is a difficult time for both Tessy and Louis yet in many ways she is to be admired for not just raising 2 children, running a house hold, preforming the royal duties required of her and then achieving her education in a field to help others.....that take strong character, conviction and determination on her part. It is never easy to go through a divorce let alone have it published for all the world to see....that is a whole new level of stress in my eyes.?

It's a sad situation for both Louis and Tessy plus the children and both families of the couple. I'm not blaming either one or the other because it takes two to make a baby, two to make a marriage and in a divorce it's rarely just one person to blame for the break up of a marriage. It appears that both were/are good parents to their sons and I hope both will continue along that line.
As for the "gold digger" label from a tabloid, Tessy is better off ignoring what a tabloid puts out, she has better things to do than to sue a gossip tabloid for libel. It's libel when written and slander when verbal.

Fine so if she si so admirable, she doesn't need to make a fuss now, does she? Just get her divorce arrangemetns sorted and get on iwht her life. If she's doing a lot of good work, she wil have the satisfaction of knowing that she is doing good work and the right thing. She does not need to be on social media talking about her title..

Fine so if she si so admirable, she doesn't need to make a fuss now, does she? Just get her divorce arrangemetns sorted and get on iwht her life. If she's doing a lot of good work, she wil have the satisfaction of knowing that she is doing good work and the right thing. She does not need to be on social media talking about her title..

And we are not the people to tell her how to live her life are we? All the decisions and choices are her's to make not yours or mine, and we can not just go up to her and tell her to get on with it. That is rude and condescending to even consider that. We can have an opinion on them but in the end it is her life............and yes she has the education and is doing something with it.......unlike a lot of people who are all talk and lunch.....nobody has to like her or what she does, that is not the point here nor is the last word the last word either. And another subject beside politics and religion that I do not touch is called ..*social media*........do not get me started on that for I will not go there!

She isn't making a fuss. Louis is as much to blame for non-settlement. The judge presiding over the case would have thrown out any ridiculous settlement that Tessy asked.

She made one tweet on her social media account. That hardly counts as a fuss.

And we are not the people to tell her how to live her life are we? All the decisions and choices are her's to make not yours or mine, and we can not just go up to her and tell her to get on with it. That is rude and condescending to even consider that. We can have an opinion on them but in the end it is her life............!
I'm not telling her anything. IM just saying that if she's a genunine charity activist, and is working hard at this job, then she will be admired for it. Even ifshe's not admired for it, she will have the satisfaction of knowing that she is doing the right thing.. So why not concentrate on getting her divorce, looking after her children and getting on with life.

I'm not telling her anything. IM just saying that if she's a genunine charity activist, and is working hard at this job, then she will be admired for it. Even ifshe's not admired for it, she will have the satisfaction of knowing that she is doing the right thing.. So why not concentrate on getting her divorce, looking after her children and getting on with life.

I suspect that is exactly what she is doing, and I for one admire her!

She's also probably ignoring the plethora of negative press (with far more dignity than I would if I was in her place ?)

The Judge saying:
"You are adults and I aspect you to act like adults in my Court Room"
to RHH and Son of a Head of State must show two non maturity Persons.
A Member of Prince Louis's family should have been there to avoid that.

I suppose most divorces are painful and it is understandable that those involved get emotional about things. Royal or not, they are also humans.

Are they required to be present in such a case or could they have their lawyers take care of it? It is a great pity for all involved that this could not be settled privately.

Last edited:
I haven't really been following this thread and although I'm pretty much caught up now with what is going on, one thing I really wish is that these two people, who are going through what seems to be an acrimonious divorce, could have gone through it all as privately as possible. It never solves anything to get the general public involved whether it be in the media or posting on social media.

When a marriage fails, it could be for any numerous reasons that are unique to the couple themselves and even in the best and friendliest divorces, there is a lot of stress. I just hope for a divorce absolute with all issues resolved and the both of them able to move on with their lives.

The Judge saying:
"You are adults and I aspect you to act like adults in my Court Room"
to RHH and Son of a Head of State must show two non maturity Persons.
A Member of Prince Louis's family should have been there to avoid that.

What difference would that make? Presumably the Judge felt that both Tessy and Louis were acting like spoiled children or stupdily.

Whatever happens, I hope Tessy gets a fair deal. Unlike the cases of P. Alexandra and P. Diana when they divorced their royal spouses, she is in a huge disadvatange being in her early 30s, trying to establish a career, and coming from a middle-class background. The other two princesses would have had the advantages of their coming from a secure background and being established women when they divorced. Who pays for Tessy's lawyers, for example? And they better be damn good lawyers to come up against the lawyers of the son of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

I hope she does not get bullied by the staff of Louis also. Is this a reason why she wants the divorce in England? Surely despite Luxembourg being her home, she would feel more the impartiality of an English divorce court than a Luxembourgish one. Somebody mentioned about how she would be known as Tessy, Princess of Luxembourg if they were English, would the English courts more likely to decide the same? Could that also be a reason why England? (I know it would all be style, in the end, but I was wondering if she would legally--at least-- have a right to being called that)

Does she have patronages in Luxembourg and could she been asking to keep them until perhaps her kids reach age of majority or Louis remarries? Much like Princess Alexandra kept hers after the divorce?

Questions, questions... Anyway, I have no problem with what she's done to her life after marriage. She could have gone on to fashion or those rich people pursuits common to people in their circles but she got herself a grad degree and seems to want to put focus on her causes. I just wish she focuses her social media on her work, not on her personal life. If she has a complaint against people talking nasty stuff, she has to take them to court and not post things like any cheesy millennial these days.

Back
Top Bottom