Prince Henrik's Plans for his Final Resting Place: August 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think PH suffers from a case of foot in his mouth, or a slightly more innocent case of verbal diarrhea.

What an utter embarrassment. :nonono: :argh:

How do you know he's doing this out of revenge? The man just want to be buried in a location of his choice. Who are we to get highly upset because a person want to lay his bones in a different location of his wife?

Direct quote from the court press officer:

Lene Balleby says to BT: "It is correct that Prince Henrik has decided that he will not be buried at Rskilde Cathedral, as it was planned.
It is no secret that the Prince for many years has been unhappy with his role and the title has been given in the Danish monarchy.
That dissatisfaction has in later years taken up more and more room. For the Prince the decision not to be interred next to the Queen is a natural consequence of him not being treated as an equal in relation to his spouse - by not getting the title and functions, which he has wished for.

Sounds like a petty reason to not be buried by one's wife.

Direct quote from the court press officer:

Sounds like a petty reason to not be buried by one's wife.

Yes, but he sure loved the life style and money that he was given being married all those years to a Queen. If I was a Danish citizen I would want his generous allowance cut since he no longer wants to be subservient only in title to his Queen and is now retired and does nothing useful except to cause trouble. He couldn't get all this recognition and world headlines prior, he sure is loving them now. I'm feel his brain is now laughingly singing "Now I am showing them for not bowing to me as they should have all these years." Either he is extremely spoiled and self-centered or rather a mental problem is really taking hold. Either way he needs help. I hope he gets it soon, one way or another because his country no longer needs or has much respect for him right at this moment. Like was previously stated = there is only ONE monarch and that is the queen. He knew the rules and law before his marriage and he wasn't that important to have their constitution changed.

I'm sure there are several catholic's buried in Rosklide Cathedral from the time before it became a proterstant Church. And if Prince Henrik would have problems with that or the choosen location this could have discussed before the Plans for the fuenral was made puiblic several years ago.

You are absolute right. Denmark became an official protestant country in 1536, so all previously royals buried in Roskilde, must have been catholics.

Yes, but he sure loved the life style and money that he was given being married all those years to a Queen. If I was a Danish citizen I would want his generous allowance cut since he no longer wants to be subservient only in title to his Queen and is now retired and does nothing useful except to cause trouble. He couldn't get all this recognition and world headlines prior, he sure is loving them now. I'm feel his brain is now laughingly singing "Now I am showing them for not bowing to me as they should have all these years." Either he is extremely spoiled and self-centered or rather a mental problem is really taking hold. Either way he needs help. I hope he gets it soon, one way or another because his country no longer needs or has much respect for him right at this moment. Like was previously stated = there is only ONE monarch and that is the queen. He knew the rules and law before his marriage and he wasn't that important to have their constitution changed.

Couldn't agree more. But right now I would rule the illness theory out. He's always been like this. Only this is a step too far even for him.

What made this situation unnecessarily worse was that the Royal Court even commented on it! They should have never said a word. Just let it be! Perhaps Henrik is having a hissy fit? Perhaps Henrik is nearing the end of his days and not thinking clearly? Who knows. I think it's a personal matter and the only person who should have an opinion is the Queen herself -- and she should keep it to herself.

I am a bit confused about talk about QMII abdicating. I thought that she had always said she would rule until she died. Is there a lot of talk about her abdicating soon?

Except that's NOT why he made this choice?

The press release and the interview with the Press Officer made it VERY CLEAR that Henrik refused to be buried together with Margrethe because of his long-time dissatisfaction with his title and position.

They didn't even try to hide it by citing some sentimental or cultural reason. It's purely out of spite and that's why it's appalling and disrespectful to his wife of 50 YEARS.

If he had any problems with the burial traditions, he could have said it a long time ago, a decade or two, before the court has LONG begun planning for their eventual deaths. Not when the sarcophagus is complete and the cathedral site renovated.

agree 100%. The reasons are pretty clear.

Well, the editorials this morning are very harsh! Even the first political comment is very hard.

Eksperter: Prins Henrik straffer Dronningen og tager den ultimative hævn - TV 2

The serious royal reporter from the conservative newspaper Berlingske, Thomas Larsen, says under the headline: Prince Henrik's fatal letdown of the Queen:
"With his demonstrative and selfish decision about not wanting to be buried next to his wife (formal), Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik is creating an unworthy end to his marriage and work for the DRF".

The serious and mainly republican newspaper Politiken believe PH is punishing QMII for not becoming king in Denmark. "That's why his annoyance reach into death, and he plays the trumph and in that punish and discredit both the Queen and the royal family".

Royal corespondent from DR1, Anette Kokholm, says: "I think people must understand it like that the dissatisfaction which Prince Henrik has expressed for a lot of years has not gone away and that it is so overwhelming that he presents the ultimate revenge".

The businessman, Asger Aamund, who is often heard in any debate, says: "It's not a good idea he has had. He has known all along what he went into.
So you can't come in in the middle of the whole thing and want to be king. It's sad for the Queen that he out with this primitive rebellion. She didn't deserve that".

The self-declared ultra royalist, Jim Lyngvild, who is also not afraid of speaking his mind when a member of the DRF goofs, says: "It might be that the man is suffering from mild dementia or going nuts. But I will not stand for this. That you first say: that I will not celebrate my golden anniversary with the women who has been by my side for a whole life, and that you will not be buried with her. Then get a divorce. Leave her. Renounce your apanage, you old a**hole".

The long-time royal reporter, Lally Hoffmann, believe it's nonsense that PH is not acknowledged within the DRF: "The Queen has carried him forward and done everything in order for him to be treated as her equal. That he isn't equal is only in his own head".

A leading spokesman for the Conservative party, Naser Khader, says: "It's silly and childish. He's unfair in the way he is treating the Queen. (Actually the expression is even more rebuking towards PH, but this is the best translation I can come up with). It might be that there is a discrimination in him not being made king, but that is an unreasonable reasoning for not wanting to be buried with her".

thank you for all the summaries and translations. :flowers:
clearly this was a decision that left many shocked and angry.

Last edited:
Whatever the considerations were, a choice is always personal.

When the Prince feels that he does not deserve an equal treatment to his spouse after death, because he did not receive equal treatment during life, then that is a pretty consequent way of handling. No hypocrisy here: his stance during lifetime is his stance after lifetime. This consequent way of acting is actually refreshing.

PH is acting like a spoiled pompous meaning:synonyms:self-important, imperious, overbearing, domineering, magisterial, pontifical, sententious, grandiose, affected, pretentious, puffed up, arrogant, vain, haughty, proud, conceited, egotistic, supercilious, condescending, patronizing FOOL.

This is not just about HIM, yes he has a say in his life yet look at all that QM and the very people of Denmark have done for him......he is so ungrateful and arrogant for treating the very hand that FEEDS him, with out QM and the people where would he be, sitting somewhere in France in a run down old chateau trying to make ends met maybe, his former career was not paying very well to live the lifestyle he has today. He should be very extremely grateful to the people whom he has treated like dirt under his feet..........take him money away from him NOW and see how fast he changes his tune.............this is today, year 2017, not the 1700 hundreds where it looks like he and you come from and are living in the mind set ....men and women are *Equals today* in all things.... :bang:

Last edited:
Our Danish members will be relieved to know that in the UK I have seen no mention of this 'kerfuffle' on either BBC Television or Radio News. Duc_et_Pair won't be surprised and will put it down to our 'arrogance' with regard to European Royalty, but whatever the reason the Danish Royal House is protected from the damaging effect of publicity on this issue !

Our Danish members will be relieved to know that in the UK I have seen no mention of this 'kerfuffle' on either BBC Television or Radio News.

There are two articles on BBC news/Europe.

Is it possible he has the start of dementia? It does sound awfully petty to refuse the burial next to his wife. When I read statements like, "Henrik also risk losing all the sympathy and respect he has build up over his many years in Denmark" it sounds like he may not have been so petty in the past. I have not followed him closely and don't know for how long and how strongly he has been so childish but I'm just wondering.

I have to say that dementia was my first thought as well.

While not an outstanding journalistic source, it is at the Daily Mail.

Denmark prince refuses to be buried next to wife, the queen

Read more: Denmark prince refuses to be buried next to wife, the queen | Daily Mail Online

This must be a first for the Daily Mail actually printing the truth for once.

Is this 'transition' some kind of Mystical/Religious event ?

When the Queen in placed in Roskilde it will be in perpetuity.. I imagine that Henrik plans to placed [wherever he is placed] also in perpetuity [nobody plans or expects to be moved about once a funeral has occurred !]

Not quite in perpetuity, like everyone else she will rise on the Last Day.

Our Danish members will be relieved to know that in the UK I have seen no mention of this 'kerfuffle' on either BBC Television or Radio News. Duc_et_Pair won't be surprised and will put it down to our 'arrogance' with regard to European Royalty, but whatever the reason the Danish Royal House is protected from the damaging effect of publicity on this issue !

Let's be honest, foreign Royalty hardly ever get a mention in the British news.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was reported on by both the New York Times and the Washington Post today. Henrik is getting negative publicity for this decision worldwide it would seem

Has anyone even thought that Prince Henrik wish to be laid to rest in a more serene spot in the future? Not all husbands and wives are buried together you know.

See, the problem is Roskilde Cathedral (or the burial sites in front of the Cathedral) have been the final resting place of all the Danish Kings and almost all of their consorts. And Prince Henrik is a Consort (he even had the title :whistling: )
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roskilde_Cathedral#Royal_burials

Also, the fact that Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik are to be interred there wasn't a surprise. It was planned, the Cathedral was also accordingly restored. Prince Henrik knows these facts. He has for decades. If he had a problem resting in eternity with his wife, as her Consort, he could have made it known before they went and build a special sarcophagus for him. And we all know, he is very good at making things known. :argh:

Also, if this whole mess is a result of his medical condition, then I doubt the Palace would have made an official announcement about it.

Last edited:
I was just fixing to say...folks who have dementia can start behaving in a more exaggerated and sometimes aggressive manner. Perhaps he has something medical going on....as opposed to just being a complete ass and having the world find out he doesn't want to be buried next to his wife. If it's the latter then I wouldn't want to be sitting at the table with his wife if I were he...let alone explain this to my children!

LaRae

As PH has said many times he loves his wife...yet in saying I love you does not give you the privilege or right to treat your wife with such disrespect and disregard for her well being. He has treated not just his wife but his entire family and the country that has given him everything that he now owns.....so I hope there is a movement in the government to take that nice large pension he gets and send him back to France with no return ticket.

QM, if I was her my feelings would be so deeply hurt that there would be no return to a relationship like we had in the past. Glad to see she is with her 2 sisters today..great support for her as always!

Ashes? Or Dust?

A similar, though certainly not identical, discussion/disagreement is ongoing in other families. One spouse prefers a traditional burial; the other wishes to be cremated. Does the one left behind get to decide, regardless of the preference of the other? Whose feelings matter more, then?

The interesting articles are pouring in right now! Sorry, but I really have to cook dinner.

Here PH's very close friend Erik Brandt is very frank indeed! It is also very much worth a read!

Ven talte med prins Henrik i dag: Vil du vide, hvor jeg vil begraves? - TV 2

Let's return to what PH's very close friend, the designer Erik Brandt, has to say.
It's something of an eye-opener! And he is so far the only one close to the Regent Couple who has given his frank opinion.

Erik Brands says in the segment that he has been on the phone with PH, earlier today, Friday.
"We have among other things talked about it, and when we are going to meet".

Q: What has he said about the decision?
EB: "He hasn't really elaborated on the decision. He asked: Would you like to know where I want to be buried? To which I answered no. I'm afraid to mention it - you can easily do that by accident - but as far as I understand it's in Denmark.

Q: So he hasn't told you where he would like to be buried?
EB: "He'd like to but I haven't been told, because I don't want to know".

Erik Brandt is however taken aback: "To me it looks - and forgive my figure of speech - but it resembles a teenage rebellion a bit, where the child has had a fight and says: Now I won't lie beside you anymore".

Q: What would he like to achieve?
EB: "If I knew, I'd answer you. It probably stems from equal rights, and he has become irritable, because he doesn't feel it is something he has been given".

Q: You say you have problems understanding Prince Henrik. Have you told him?
EB: "Yes, I say so openly. I've said that I think it was an odd decision and I don't agree - and was it really necessarry? But I think it's sort of like having a revanche/payback for something. But revanche/payback for what? He's had a wonderful life".

He ends the video by praising both QMII and PH.

------

This is pretty astonishing! Normally the personal friends of the DRF won't even tell you what day it is!
Erik Brandt was much more defensive and understanding of PH in a comment yesterday.
Erik Brandt is not a man who seek attention or need attention for that matter.

A similar, though certainly not identical, discussion/disagreement is ongoing in other families. One spouse prefers a traditional burial; the other wishes to be cremated. Does the one left behind get to decide, regardless of the preference of the other? Whose feelings matter more, then?

That wouldn't be a problem IMO. There is plenty of room for an urn in QMII and PH planned grave. And if he wants to decompose first, that's possible too I imagine.

The problem is also that PH must have gone public, otherwise the media wouldn't know. PH and his family clearly must have an ongoing discussion on the matter, since the final resting place of PH is yet to be disclosed.
Otherwise Lene Balleby would issue the details and give some official explanation as to why.

It's a bit like the children who wails their heads off in supermarkets in the hope om embarrassing their parents into giving in. PH is wailing right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Edinburgh isn't even 'Prince Consort' but you don't see him throwing a fit over 'equal rights'.

Surely a man of PH's age and background must know he'll never be the Queen's 'equal'.

Here is another eye-opener!

I would like to see this quote from other sources, in case I have misunderstood the article.

Prins Henrik i privat samtale med nær ven: Vil du gerne vide, hvor jeg vil begraves? | BT Royale - www.bt.dk
According to BT, asking for a comment from PH after the news broke yesterday, Lene Balleby apparently quoted PH for saying: »Enhver mand, der ikke er ligestillet med sin ægtefælle, er ikke værdig til at blive begravet i samme grav.« = Any man who is not equal to his spouse, is not worthy of being buried in the same grave".

Again, I would to see other medias mentioning this, in case I have misunderstood something.
I don't think so though, because the article says: Til BT udtalte prins Henrik følgende via kongehusets pressechef Lene Balleby følgende om den kontroversielle beslutning torsdag, da nyheden blev bekræftet. = To BT Prince Henrik stated the following, via the DRF press-secretary Lene Balleby, about the controversial decision Thursday when the news was confirmed.

Danish members: Please correct me if I have made an translation error here, because it is important to get this right!

ADDED: This quote has been confirmed by Ekstra Bladet, that is IMO still not a 100 % confirmation, so if you see other medias with the same quote, please say so.

ADDED: The quote is confirmed.

Last edited:
This is all about attention and making his mark IMO. The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion he has done this to make sure he goes down in history in some way or another...
By being one of the first consorts in hundreds of years not to be buried with their spouse he ensures he will get mentioned in every tour guide or book about Roskilde.
What I find the worst it that he so openly (surely this information has only come out because he has let it) embarrass his wife. If he made this decision in private and then it was announced when he had died so be it, but announcing it now just ensures there is a fuss and IMO he hopes someone (the Queen most likely) does something to make him change his mind, this is attention seeking at its worst!

I remember the moment I went off liking Henri and it was when he went on about not being King during a press conference before the Dutch state visit and just after a terrorist attack in Denmark. The Queen looked so mortified she couldn't look anywhere other than the floor.

Here is another eye-opener!

I would like to see this quote from other sources, in case I have misunderstood the article.

Prins Henrik i privat samtale med nær ven: Vil du gerne vide, hvor jeg vil begraves? | BT Royale - www.bt.dk
According to BT, asking for a comment from PH after the news broke yesterday, Lene Balleby apparently quoted PH for saying: »Enhver mand, der ikke er ligestillet med sin ægtefælle, er ikke værdig til at blive begravet i samme grav.« = Any man who is not equal to his spouse, is not worthy of being buried in the same grave".

Again, I would to see other medias mentioning this, in case I have misunderstood something.
I don't think so though, because the article says: Til BT udtalte prins Henrik følgende via kongehusets pressechef Lene Balleby følgende om den kontroversielle beslutning torsdag, da nyheden blev bekræftet. = To BT Prince Henrik stated the following, via the DRF press-secretary Lene Balleby, about the controversial decision Thursday when the news was confirmed.

Danish members: Please correct me if I have made an translation error here, because it is important to get this right!
Im not Danish but live across the bridge from Copenhagen and have spoken Danish very well since my early teens and Id say your translation is spot on.

Last edited:
Wow, I knew Henrik acted like a spoilt child; but I didn't think he'd stoop this low. He definitely wants to have his fair share of cake and eat it too. He should have gotten over it - perhaps Elsa can teach him a word or two; let it go...

I do feel sorry for Margrethe. When the statement read "any man who is not equal to his spouse, is not worthy of being buried in the same grave"; I interpreted that as Henrik blaming her for this. Margrethe is such a lovely lady; she doesn't deserve someone like Henrik.

How do you know the Queen is a lovely lady? Did you met her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom