Prince Henrik's Plans for his Final Resting Place: August 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
The Queen will never abdicate because she is more her father's daughter than her husband's wife
And there it is! In one sentence. That's why Prince Henrik is going to continue to strike out at the Danish monarchy in any way he can because Margrethe has now put the monarchy first...above him. BUT....I think that it is clear now that the Danish house is fed up with him and they will no longer sugar coat or offer excuses for him. He's now equivalent to the boy who cried wolf too many times.
What else can Prince Henrik do now? He is out of options. His actions have only caused opinions to be hardened against him. He has increasingly lost respect, admiration and popularity.
The final action on his part would be to return to France permanently.

Last edited:
I've read all the replies before this page and all I can say is:

No history/upbringing/belief/etc can excuse Henrik from hurting and humiliating his own wife who has done nothing wrong but tolerating him all these years.

He is a completely selfish person.

TBH I don't understand some people trying so hard to find some (ridiculous) excuses to justify his recent action (other than medical/mental health reasons)

"Any man who is not equal to his spouse, is not worthy of being buried in the same grave."

I know you meant it as passive-aggressive, Henrik, but I think you truly are NOT worthy of your wife, alive or dead.

Last edited:
Now I'm wondering something. With Henrik's latest outburst about not wanting to be buried next to his wife, when the time comes, will he also be forgoing a very public and very royal funeral? Seems to me that if he's rejecting being buried as a Prince Consort, he would also reject being interred somewhere with a full state funeral befitting a Prince Consort.

A pine box, a private service and that's it? Thoughts anyone?

The Queen will never abdicate because she is more her father's daughter than her husband's wife.

I have to admit that ever since the first statements came out, I keep expecting the late King Frederick IX to rise from the grave and slap Henrik upside the head for forgetting what he accepted when he married into the family! ?

As far as the possibility of dementia, I was thinking about it today at work and relating it to a similar issue I had with an elderly parent. In my case, my family became worried when he was making all sorts of irrational comments and having a number of mishaps resulting in injury. But when we had him evaluated by doctors, he would turn on the charm and show off his intelligence. None of the medical professionals we went to could see the irrational behavior that we were seeing at home.

Now, it's a bit different with Prince Henrik because we're all looking at this and wondering if he's in his right mind. I have to wonder what kind of medical care he is getting and if they have adequately assessed him for dementia.

I think I have read that he has a full time nurse ?? so maybe it is dementia either way it's sad time for them all.

:previous: Osipi, I think you have an interesting point. He lives the life of a Prince of Denmark, a life of extreme privilege and ease, which is not inappropriate for a man of his age, position, standing and wealth. But how much of what he is is a result of who he is and, if he is reviling and repudiating that position in death, what about the rest of his life?

Give up all that, the wealth, the lifestyle, the position, the deference, etc. I think not. He could divorce his wife and leave her but that would adversely affect his lifestyle, so he repudiates his wife in death with absolutely no consequences in life.

However, he is making the somewhat arrogant assumption that he will pre-decease his wife and she and Denmark with be left to live with the "shame". But, what if it doesn't happen that way. What if the son he resents is the monarch and he prefers to live without indulging his father's tantrums, despises the hurt and shame he has brought on his mother and tightens the leash?

I've not posted here in years, but when I read the news about this yesterday my jaw hit the floor. Poor QMII--what on EARTH is PH thinking? Or not thinking? How can he just disrespect his wife like that?? He's going to pitch a fit over a title?? He does know he holds a standing at the top of the royal chain because of her, right? That just because he's a *mere* Prince Consort, he's treated with the utmost respect BECAUSE he's the husband of the Queen, right?

Well, not anymore, crankypants! You just kissed that goodwill goodbye.

At this point, the only way he's going to get any sliver of respect back from me is if it's later revealed that he's suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia or some other neurological malady that causes him to break from sanity and blurt out nonsense like this. Queen Margrethe deserves FAR better!

What if the son he resents is the monarch and he prefers to live without indulging his father's tantrums, despises the hurt and shame he has brought on his mother and tightens the leash?

Not only on his mother....Imagine what it must have been like for Frederik to grow up, trying to grow into the position he has, having a father who resents his position and is jealous because his own son is nr 2 instead of him?

I do too. It seems to me he's going the passive-agressive way against his wife. How classy from him.

Except in this case, he appears to have dropped the passive from the passive-aggressive!

The Queen will never abdicate because she is more her father's daughter than her husband's wife.

She was in mourning, she was terrified, but prepared to do her duty. Her handsome husband had become a father, was soon to become a prince, and then, through years of whining and his own stupidity became......merely a sperm donor.

.... Or as somebody small and insignificant once said, "a bloody amoeba!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit that ever since the first statements came out, I keep expecting the late King Frederick IX to rise from the grave and slap Henrik upside the head for forgetting what he accepted when he married into the family! ?

As far as the possibility of dementia, I was thinking about it today at work and relating it to a similar issue I had with an elderly parent. In my case, my family became worried when he was making all sorts of irrational comments and having a number of mishaps resulting in injury. But when we had him evaluated by doctors, he would turn on the charm and show off his intelligence. None of the medical professionals we went to could see the irrational behavior that we were seeing at home.

Now, it's a bit different with Prince Henrik because we're all looking at this and wondering if he's in his right mind. I have to wonder what kind of medical care he is getting and if they have adequately assessed him for dementia.

Thena, no doubt a good many of the posters on this board have observed and endured the sad decline of an elderly loved one who has developed dementia.

We put up with their (outrageous) behavior, we forgive their angry outbursts, we tolerate their many peculiarities, and we do our best to steer them through this end of life experience. We are distressed, and hurt, but we understand that the person our parent has become is still our parent.

If this is PH's fate, no doubt his family is heartbroken. But they still love the man he is because they loved the man he was.

I'd like to think that his family is understanding, and not merely annoyed and embarrassed. It's hard to grow old.

It is funny seeing self-proclaimed supporters of egalitarism on this board or the self-proclaimed champions in egality (Denmark) fuming about the last wishes of the Prince, skillfully avoiding the elephant in the porcelain cabinet: the truth, which is with him. Prince Henrik's daughter-in-law will be Queen and share her spouse's rank. In neighbouring Sweden, Mr Daniel Westling will never share his spouse's rank, but was Prince Carl Philip still the Crown Prince, his spouse Sofia Hellqvist would have been Queen Sofia of Sweden...

Many fellow posters are in a spasm, as are many voices in Denmark, but it is a quite selective spasm. Prince Henrik's objection was not only the non-equal treatment, for years he had no own income and while it was seen as "not-to-do" for a Prince-Consort to work for a boss or to exploit commercial activities, he had to held his hands up to his wife. Luckily the Danish State indeed has repaired this most unlucky situation (quite late, after decades of marriage) but it shows that the Prince has (had) a point.

His solution: "treat male spouses alike female spouses" would not be mine. The mine is: treat female spouses like male spouses:

The King and The Princess of Denmark
The Queen and The Prince of Denmark

The Grand-Duke and The Princess of Luxembourg
The Grand-Duchess and The Prince of Luxembourg

The Sovereign Prince and The Princess of Monaco
The Sovereign Princess and The Prince of Monaco

More transparent, more gender-neutral with respect to the unique title of the bearer of the Crown, is not possible. With the flood of female sovereigns coming (Victoria of Sweden, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Elisabeth of the Belgians and Lenor of Spain) the correct observation of Prince Henrik will only become more apparent.

It is the same anomaly which sees that a Mr Christopher O'Neill and a Mr Pieter van Vollenhoven did not become a Prince when marrying a Princess, while the other way round is "automatic" but these commoner gentlemen see their own flesh and blood titled Princes and Princesses...

So spare me the objective rants, spits and fuming, all his life long the Prince has pointed to this sore ulcer in the royal titulature and it was always laughed off: "Mad Henrik" but everyone can feel in his big toe that he has always and ever hit a relevant discriminatory system. I applaud the Prince for being consequent. No faking here, it is as it is, an outspoken man in life, and in death. Maybe his actions will indeed make Royal Houses think about the systematic of the royal titulature.

Last edited:
No title in the world could have made him the monarch of Denmark, that would always be his wife. He knew that when he married her.

P.Henrik is asking not for equality in general but just for himself in a situation which could never have happened.

Spare me your defense about him being outspoken and thinking about an unequal "system", he doesn't care about the system, he just cares about himself.

No title in the world could have made him the monarch of Denmark, that would always be his wife. He knew that when he married her.

P.Henrik is asking not for equality in general but just for himself in a situation which could never have happened.

Spare me your defense about him being outspoken and thinking about an unequal "system", he doesn't care about the system, he just cares about himself.

That is your assessment (even larded with an amateur psycholigical anamnese of the Prince's character). I have my own assessment. Thank you.

:previous: That's a rearguard action if I ever saw one!

It has been argued countless times why PH cannot be King, - Constitution, tradition, simplicity, practicality - and lastly the public opinion; he hasn't deserved it.
Why should the monarchies change a system that has worked for more than a 1000 years just because of one man's vanity?

In the holy name of gender equality? Give me a break! PH has never been an enthusiastic champion for equal rights - for anyone.

As for him getting a part of the apanage. Fair enough, I'll grant him that one. Or he could have kept his mouth shut and the Regent Couple could quietly have figured out how to split the total between themselves - Like Joachim and Our Marie is doing. Instead we now have two overlapping expense account.

Another member said why not just change the Constitution? And remove any direct references to "king". - Because it's extremely difficult to change the Constitution. The politicians are not going to do an overhaul of the Constitution just to make PH feel equal to his wife!
PH will be dead before the politicians are ready to present a revised Constitution. And even then it may not go through.
It takes a majority in the Parliament, followed by a general election, if there is a majority in the Parliament, the draft will go out for a referendum and it requires a certain percentage of votes to even be carried through. Only then will the change be voted through in the Parliament.

How big are the odds that people will vote in favor of PH being granted the title of king and majesty, considering all his huffing and puffing over the years?
And if people vote no, I will, that's a new draft out the window.

And why in the name of the holy teapot should we demote Mary and other crown princess, just because one man is vain?
QMII can grant PH the title of Caliph of Greenland, but she cannot make him equal to the head of state.

Last edited:

I agree... He doesn’t mind the system. He just doesn’t like it when it works against him. The man is not a feminist.

Like MANY here and on other websites have stated, yes there is a gender issue in the system, but not discrimination against men (as PH may have made himself believe), but discrimination against WOMEN. Because 'King' is automatically higher than 'Queen' and that's why no male consorts are granted the title of King otherwise they would outrank the female monarch. For a self-proclaimed man of equality, he surely missed the plot here.

Even if he was given the title 'King Consort', he would never be EQUAL to his wife, THE MONARCH, THE HEAD OF STATE. No Queen Consort anywhere is equal to the King Regnant. When formality calls, they still walk behind their husbands.

And if he really did want to rectify this inequality, how is refusing to be buried with his wife going to solve anything??? Would it make the government/parliament/people hurry up and change the entire system? I don't think so. He has achieved NOTHING but bringing sadness to his wife and family. It's just literally taking it to the grave. I'm not 'the end justifies the means' type of person. How you approach a problem is always important.

Of course, if you think 'being true to yourself' is the most important thing in your life without even the slightest consideration to other people, then there really is nothing to discuss.

Last edited:
Why should the monarchies change a system that has worked for more than a 1000 years just because of one man's vanity?

In the holy name of gender equality? Give me a break! PH has never been an enthusiastic champion for equal rights - for anyone.

THIS [in a nutshell] sums up exactly why the rantings of this fool should not be indulged, let alone acted upon...

It is funny seeing self-proclaimed supporters of egalitarism on this board or the self-proclaimed champions in egality (Denmark) fuming about the last wishes of the Prince, skillfully avoiding the elephant in the porcelain cabinet: the truth, which is with him. Prince Henrik's daughter-in-law will be Queen and share her spouse's rank. In neighbouring Sweden, Mr Daniel Westling will never share his spouse's rank, but was Prince Carl Philip still the Crown Prince, his spouse Sofia Hellqvist would have been Queen Sofia of Sweden...

Many fellow posters are in a spasm, as are many voices in Denmark, but it is a quite selective spasm. Prince Henrik's objection was not only the non-equal treatment, for years he had no own income and while it was seen as "not-to-do" for a Prince-Consort to work for a boss or to exploit commercial activities, he had to held his hands up to his wife. Luckily the Danish State indeed has repaired this most unlucky situation (quite late, after decades of marriage) but it shows that the Prince has (had) a point.

His solution: "treat male spouses alike female spouses" would not be mine. The mine is: treat female spouses like male spouses:

The King and The Princess of Denmark
The Queen and The Prince of Denmark

The Grand-Duke and The Princess of Luxembourg
The Grand-Duchess and The Prince of Luxembourg

The Sovereign Prince and The Princess of Monaco
The Sovereign Princess and The Prince of Monaco

More transparent, more gender-neutral with respect to the unique title of the bearer of the Crown, is not possible. With the flood of female sovereigns coming (Victoria of Sweden, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Elisabeth of the Belgians and Lenor of Spain) the correct observation of Prince Henrik will only become more apparent.

It is the same anomaly which sees that a Mr Christopher O'Neill and a Mr Pieter van Vollenhoven did not become a Prince when marrying a Princess, while the other way round is "automatic" but these commoner gentlemen see their own flesh and blood titled Princes and Princesses...

So spare me the objective rants, spits and fuming, all his life long the Prince has pointed to this sore ulcer in the royal titulature and it was always laughed off: "Mad Henrik" but everyone can feel in his big toe that he has always and ever hit a relevant discriminatory system. I applaud the Prince for being consequent. No faking here, it is as it is, an outspoken man in life, and in death. Maybe his actions will indeed make Royal Houses think about the systematic of the royal titulature.

Gender neutrality is HM King Margarethe II, King of Denmark. Then Henrik can be a Majesty by virtue of being HM Queen Henrik, Queen Consort. In this way the title is the position, not the gender

Regarding Henrik's wishes to be buried elsewhere than where the spouse of a reigning monarch and Queen would rightfully be, is it still in the cards that no matter where he wishes to be buried, he will be given a full state funeral as befitting the spouse of a monarch? I wonder really what Henrik's reaction would be to an announcement that he will be granted his wish to be buried elsewhere but also that it would be a private funeral with no expenses met by the Danish people.

For a man that is throwing a fit because he's not given the title and status that he feels he deserves, would he also feel the same way should he face the knowing that when his time comes, there won't be any pomp and circumstance or pageantry of a full state funeral but rather a quiet, private funeral with little to no fuss about it. If, and I'm just saying if, this man is in full capacity of his senses, I would think he'd think he deserves and merits the full monty when it comes to his funeral.

True. But I would say that her sense of duty also includes that she would give up the throne if she thought that it - for some reason - would benefit Denmark, the monarchy and her family. As far as we know, she has never been close to that point before. But prince Henriks latest tantrum might change things.

Another factor is her physical health, specifically her back problems. If they get worse, it's something that perhaps makes her restricted in the way that she can do her duties.

If she would abdicate, she can also do so knowing that the danish monarchy is in good hands with F&M. They are in many ways already doing the work of a king and queen. Their youngest kids are starting school this fall, so they are not at home full time.

All in all, I would say that the possibility of an abdication in Denmark has rapidly increased. We'll see what happens the next couple of months.

The whole system of monarchy is based on unequality - or hierarchy if you prefer.
Surely a man who is so... keen on... hierarchy as PH will appreciate, even relish in that fact?

He is a living proof that men can become consorts as well! He's trail-blazer! Men finally have equal rights to women, now we can become consorts too in the DRF.

So what is his problem? There is a very clear defined hierarchy in the DRF, where he at present happens to be number 2½. ?
He should be happy.

As it is now Frederik will usually walk behind PH in practical all formal settings. Why not make Frederik equal to his dad? Frederik is an adult, a grown married man with his own family. Surely he is entitled to be equal to his dad? - Just like it is in most other Danish families.

I think we should campaign for Frederik - Joachim too - to be equal to their dad. :D

I cannot understand that a man who is so eager to promote equality as PH is, ran off to France years back and wailed to high heaven about him being demoted to number three.

Yeah, yeah enough joking. ? Let's be serious.

PH already has a place in history. He is the very first prince consort in the Danish monarchy, stretching back more than a thousand years. He is a living symbol of gender equality in regards to the throne, because he is married to the first female monarch in Danish history.
He has quietly done his duty and supported the monarch as he is supposed to do. He slowly turned a public antipathy against him, into becoming a well-liked even cult, figure. He's never cheated on his wife, even to the point that he can joke about that, without anyone taking it remotely serious.
He has for 50 years been an absolute key-figure in representing Denmark, and actually done a pretty good job doing that.

- That's not a bad legacy for anyone! There are monarchies where this is something people dream about!

Now that legacy is gone. He will go down in history and be remembered for this. When PH has been dead ten years this is mainly what we will discuss here at TRF - and we are hardcore into monarchies. Imagine what everybody else who do not have a particular interest or knowledge about monarchies will focus on? Yes, you it right the first time; burial-gate.

I can't help feeling pretty sad for PH, while at the same time wanting to hit him with a shovel! It's not pleasant to see a person and all he has accomplished over a long life disintegrate before your very eyes. - Even if he is probably in legal sense still of sound mind.
It's sad and heartbreaking to see someone who is close to you slip away in such away, imagine how it must be for QMII and the rest of the DRF.

The question is can he if her persists end up being declared either unable to look after himself or so ill that he needs to committed? That usually calls for either a doctor to check him or for a judge to appoint a guardian for him. - That'll be difficult, even if the doctor/judge keeps an eye out for "national interests". I wonder if it may end in such a fashion?

Because there is actually plenty PH can do "further his cause" even more!
He could divorce QMII.
He could insist of people addressing him as king and majesty. (He has already called himself "king of Denmark" in Italy.)
He could be ranting on and on about becoming king to everyone, especially the press, now also the foreign press, at any opportunity he gets.
He could renounce his Danish citizenship.
Making a spectacle of himself at public DRF events.
And we can't even rule out totally bizarre things like PH staging a naked protest in public!
Or tuning up somewhere seeking asylum.
- All this could easily happen before the nice men in white, bringing a weird shirt for PH to wear with them, pays him a visit.

Regarding Henrik's wishes to be buried elsewhere than where the spouse of a reigning monarch and Queen would rightfully be, is it still in the cards that no matter where he wishes to be buried, he will be given a full state funeral as befitting the spouse of a monarch? I wonder really what Henrik's reaction would be to an announcement that he will be granted his wish to be buried elsewhere but also that it would be a private funeral with no expenses met by the Danish people.

For a man that is throwing a fit because he's not given the title and status that he feels he deserves, would he also feel the same way should he face the knowing that when his time comes, there won't be any pomp and circumstance or pageantry of a full state funeral but rather a quiet, private funeral with little to no fuss about it. If, and I'm just saying if, this man is in full capacity of his senses, I would think he'd think he deserves and merits the full monty when it comes to his funeral.

Good points.

IMO there is a very good chance that PH's funeral will be considerably more subdued, even if he were to die tomorrow.
We don't know what wished he has. But since he has by his latest act signed himself out of the royal roadshow and indeed annoyed the public, it might be better if he got a public memorial service and a quiet burial ceremony attended by the family only.
If he ends up being buried in France, that's almost with certainty what is going to happen.

When Queen Ingrid was laid to rest, people turned out to pay their last respect, because she was so very respected. I doubt that many will turn out to show PH the last respect. People will be there to support QMII and the DRF - not to honor PH.

Had PH kept his big mouth shut for the past five years, people would actually have shown up and lament him as the colorful person within the DRF. Saying goodbye to a genuinely well-liked man. A funeral with all the pomp and circumstance that follows.
But unless he's declared ga-ga, and preferably soon, that's not going to happen now.

[...]
Why should the monarchies change a system that has worked for more than a 1000 years just because of one man's vanity? [...]

Maybe you have forgotten that monarchies actually have changed quite a lot? Didn't Queen Margrethe herself became Queen instead of Prince Knud because the succession was changed? Didn't Prince Carl Philip of Sweden lost his rights retro-actively because the Swedish Constitution was changed? A British successor is no longer banned by marrying a Catholic lady. Princes and Princesses can marry anyone they wish since requirements seems to have been thrown overboard. Even the King of Spain, an Emperor of Japan or a Pope abdicate these days.

So "a system which has worked for a 1000 years" is not the same as "a system which remained unchanged for a 1000 years".

With a Queen Ingrid Alexandra, a Queen Victoria, a Queen Catharina-Amalia, a Queen Elisabeth and a Queen Leonor, on the Continent we will only have one King (Christian) and guess what? His spouse will be the only one to share her husband's title in a sea of Prince-Consorts...

These days we go wild about gender-neutral toilets and sratching our heads if "ladies and gentlemen" is still a correct form of address (fearing we maybe insult some, feeling neither a lady nor a gentleman) but the quite visible and apparent discriminatory system in the titulature can not be changed?

Prince Henrik has a point. His solution is not mine. He thinks that male spouses should be treated equal to female spouses. My solution is that female spouses should be treated alike male spouses.

[...]

Had PH kept his big mouth shut for the past five years, people would actually have shown up and lament him as the colorful person within the DRF. [...]

Is he now less colorful?

Gender neutrality is HM King Margarethe II, King of Denmark. Then Henrik can be a Majesty by virtue of being HM Queen Henrik, Queen Consort. In this way the title is the position, not the gender

You still attach the position to the gender of another person, you attach a male indivudual to a female individual to get a male equivalent of the female title. That is not gender neutral. In all monarchies there are 4 "functional" objective positions:

- the Sovereign: The King / The Queen

- the Sovereign's consort: The Prince / The Princess

- the Heir : The Crown Prince / The Crown Princess

- the Heir's consort: Prince / Princess [name] of [....]

Effectively this means that the titulature for male consorts (Prince Albert of the United Kingdom, Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands, Prince Félix of Luxembourg, Prince Pierre of Monaco, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince Philip of the United Kingdom, Prince Henrik of Denmark, Prince Claus of the Netherlands and Prince Daniel of Sweden) becomes the standard titulature for all consorts, no matter the gender. And boy, there us a flood of male consorts coming, so better get it cleared for once and for all.

SM el Rey
SAR la Princesa de España

ZM de Koning
HKH de Prinses der Nederlanden

SM le Roi
SAR la Princesse de Belgique

It is just a period of getting used to it. Soon we will find it normal, like we all find it normal that older daughters go before younger brothers. Monarchies are flexible enough (and they have to).

Sounds like a big fuss over nothing.. I don't think that he's got a case and why is h e doing this? Is it possible that he's got something like Alzhemiers? Philip would never disrespect his wife like this.

Maybe you have forgotten that monarchies actually have changed quite a lot? Didn't Queen Margrethe herself became Queen instead of Prince Knud because the succession was changed? Didn't Prince Carl Philip of Sweden lost his rights retro-actively because the Swedish Constitution was changed? A British successor is no longer banned by marrying a Catholic lady. Princes and Princesses can marry anyone they wish since requirements seems to have been thrown overboard. Even the King of Spain, an Emperor of Japan or a Pope abdicate these days.

So "a system which has worked for a 1000 years" is not the same as "a system which remained unchanged for a 1000 years".

With a Queen Ingrid Alexandra, a Queen Victoria, a Queen Catharina-Amalia, a Queen Elisabeth and a Queen Leonor, on the Continent we will only have one King (Christian) and guess what? His spouse will be the only one to share her husband's title in a sea of Prince-Consorts...

These days we go wild about gender-neutral toilets and sratching our heads if "ladies and gentlemen" is still a correct form of address (fearing we maybe insult some, feeling neither a lady nor a gentleman) but the quite visible and apparent discriminatory system in the titulature can not be changed?

Prince Henrik has a point. His solution is not mine. He thinks that male spouses should be treated equal to female spouses. My solution is that female spouses should be treated alike male spouses.

You are referring to changes in regards to the monarchs, not their consorts. Changes that were brought about often by sheer necessity - just look at Japan.
And because it was realized that that women are just as competent as men (and just as good at screwing things up...), so why dismiss half the children? - Again look at Japan and see where that leads.
In short: These are all practical solutions.

QMII did indeed become the heir, but that was because there was a public wish for it. People simply didn't like the alternative. They rightly or wrongly believed Prince Knud and his children were a bit on the slow side and frankly also too ugly. It didn't have that much to do with gender equality, because princess Margrethe would have been replaced had Frederik IX and Queen had a son, which was not impossible, QMII was only thirteen.
In fact the reason for the changes in the Law of Succession being put up for referendum back in 1953 was to get enough people to come and also vote for the changes in the Constitution at the same time. Because people simply did not want Prince Knud as king! (And people say a monarchy is undemocratic..., well!)

I also thing you are missing the main point: A Monarchy in its very nature is unequal. In fact that's the whole point by having a monarch.

Last edited:
What will be the Dane's Attitude when they will see for the first time their Prince Consort at a coming Public Event ?

[...]
I also thing you are missing the main point: A Monarchy in its very nature is unequal. In fact that's the whole point by having a monarch.

Of course a monarchy is very inequal, that is also its Achilles' Heel in any discussion. But a monarchy is a form of state: Margrethe af Glücksborg is head of state because of her birth.

But here we are not discussing a form of state. We are discussing (a taxpayer-funded) system, the Royal House, and the titulature used in that system.

One can ask: why has every municipality, every province, every department, every state agency or even every armed force to be non-discriminatory and equal in gender? And why is then the supreme instituton of state still discriminating in gender?

So end the discriminations in titulature: all consorts to the bearer of the Crown, regardless the gender, have the title Prince (Princess) of Denmark. Simple.

Last edited:
The whole system of monarchy is based on unequality - or hierarchy if you prefer.
Surely a man who is so... keen on... hierarchy as PH will appreciate, even relish in that fact?.

It is not a matter of hierarchy as the consort obviously does not outrank the regent. Instead, it is a matter of adjusting the system of titles and styles to contemporary practice that is already observed in other cases and is compatible with the new reality of equal primogeniture.

Taking the nobility as an example, when the succession to titles was majoritarily agnatic, there were no (or only a few) female title holders in their own right, so, whereas wives always took the title and style of their husbands , the reverse was mostly a non-issue. However, in countries lik Spain where equal primogeniture has been recently introduced in the succession to titles of nobility, my understanding is that husbands of a titled female (e.g. a duchess. or marchioness, or countess ) are now also referred to by their wives' titles (e.g. as duke, marquis, etc.).

As far as royalty is concerned, it is true that some countries like the UK or the Netherlands stick to the "old rules" and don't give royal titles to husbands of princesses like Pieter van Vollenhoven or Sir Timothy Laurence, but, in Belgium, for example, Lorenz of Austria-Este was made a prince of Belgium, just as his sisters-in-law (Mathilde and Claire) were made princesses; similarly, in Sweden, Chris O'Neill didn't become a prince just because he turned down the title by refusing to take up Swedish citizenship and give up his business, but the standard practice in the future is that a husband of any princess of Sweden (not just the Crown Princess) will most likely be a prince too. Finally, in Spain, the husband of the Princess of Asturias has always held the title of Prince of Asturias historically, and that rule was confirmed in royal decree 1368/1987.

It appears anomalous to me that a husband taking the title and style of his wife seems to be the emerging norm for most noble and royal titles, except for the title of king. A king consort will not be equal to a reigning king because he is called "king" or "majesty", just as a queen consort is not equal to a reigning queen, but, by taking the title and style of his wife, he will be treated in the same way as a female consort of a reigning king would be, thereby eliminating an unfair difference in treatment based solely on gender.

That would actually be the (controversial) French position. wouldn't it (e.g. Madame le Président de la République) ? I suppose it is a possibility, but some might think of it as sexist.

Another possibility is to go with Duc's position where both male and female consorts wouldn't take the title and style of their spouses and would either remain untitled, or get a new special title of their own (technically, BTW, that is actually Lorenz's and Claire's case in Belgium as they became a prince or princess of Belgium in their own right by special royal decree, rather than taking the title of their spouses by courtesy).

PS: Just to clarify, despite my support for gender equality in royal titles, I don't support Prince Henrik's decision not to be buried next to his wife, which is disrespectful to her as a spouse (not as a queen), is unjustified, and has nothing to do with his (otherwise legitimate) grievances about his title and style .

Last edited:
From the perspective of a 'title', I agree with Duc_et_Pair in terms of logic but I think it's time that the spouse of a sovereign should become King Consort/Queen Consort, or equivalent for Grand Duchies and Principalities. But that's only for a "title".

From the point of view of constitutional "status", however, to me the spouse of a sovereign clearly has a lower status than the sovereign's heir, irrespective of the spouse's gender (unless he/she is named as regent, of course) and any consort must understand and deal with that from the get go. That's not to say that a consort can't be accorded "precedence", however, as the Duke of Edinburgh is. For those who cite him as a model, we should not forget that the Duke did take time to adjust to his role and find his way. It is also true that he is a very different character to the Danish consort....

In the specific case of Prince Henrik, throwing his toys out of the pram in a fit of pique - and not for the first time - in such a public way, does him no credit at all and it seems to be much more a spiteful and hurtful act of a severely bruised ego than any reasoned argument.

If we are really serious about ending Gender 'discrimination' within Monarchies how about HM 'the Sovereign of Denmark' and HRH 'the Consort of Denmark', that way Gender is absolutely removed from the Titles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom