Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson, Current Events Part 2: Aug 2009 - June 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid, it is not so easy, since the last will mentioned the "Fideikomiss", what means the "heir" can use the inheritence at his own will, but has to leave it to the next generation as untouched as possible and in one piece.
And the case decision, you linked, was about Prince Gustav living together with a non-noble woman, not marrying her.

So, to put things together: The inheritence is in my humble opinion comparable to a modern "trust fund". And whatever Prince Gustav is doing, is bound by the last will.

And the same would be this "marriage stuff"...
You obviously didn't read the text I linked. In section 74 it explicitly states that the "Vollerbe" cannot lose his inheritance by marrying a non-noble-woman after the will has been executed.
It was his grandfather's wish that the estate stays in one piece for the male line of the family (as it was tradition then) but he cannot rule from the grave. The estate is Gustav's now and he can make his own will.
Times are different now than they were in the 40ies. In most ruling royal families the male primogenitur is gone now, heirs are allowed to marry commoners. And in the court ruling it is actually declared as "unethical" to demand a marriage with a noble woman (section 80).

Last edited:
You obviously didn't read the text I linked. In section 74 it explicitly states that the "Vollerbe" cannot lose his inheritance by marrying a non-noble-woman after the will has been executed.

Don't be so harsh with me, I simply overlooked section 74... BTW What does "Nacherbe gleichsam als Vollerbe" there mean? So, Prince Gustav inherited within the framework of the will... - and now you are claiming, he can do whatever he wants with the inheritence, right? Sell it, part it, make a gift out of it... What?

Just wondering... he inherrited the estate and everything quite some time ago. Why only now marry?

If this is true, I am so very excited for them to finally be husband and wife. They have been through quite a lot and now is a time of happiness and joy and calm for them. Congratulations.

Don't be so harsh with me, I simply overlooked section 74... BTW What does "Nacherbe gleichsam als Vollerbe" there mean? So, Prince Gustav inherited within the framework of the will... - and now you are claiming, he can do whatever he wants with the inheritence, right? Sell it, part it, make a gift out of it... What?

Yes, he can do whatever he wants with it and he can also marry whoever he wants. Congrats!! :flowers::flowers:

Whereas his father, as "Vorerbe" was bound by many things and couldn't do whatever he wanted. I take it from the ruling, that the grandfather was aware that he could not bind the "Nacherbe" to anything once he had inherited, because it was no longer legally possible at that point in time. "Vorerbe" and "Nacherbe" was as much as he could do to exert influence. Quite enough influence anyhow.

By the way, unsurprisingly, the grandfather's stipulation about not "bringing blood from a non-aryan race" into the family was declared invalid.

By the way, unsurprisingly, the grandfather's stipulation about not "bringing blood from a non-aryan race" into the family was declared invalid.

I think the non-aryan race clause in the will has to bee seen in the time the Will was written. If the grandfather had lived longer the Will perhaps would have been changed and this clause removed.

Just wondering... he inherrited the estate and everything quite some time ago. Why only now marry?

Because now his opponent has no legal options anymore to claim the inheritance for himself. Gustav has won and now that the grandfather's will has been executed, he can marry whoever he wants.

victor1319
Sorry, if I was too harsh.
"Vollerbe" means he has full power of disposal, something a pre-heir can never have.

"Vorerbe" and "Nacherbe" was as much as he could do to exert influence. Quite enough influence anyhow.
With his wish (section 23) he still tried to exert influence on the heirs. I guess it all depends now on how traditional and how capable Gustav is (is he able to keep the estate together? I'm thinking of his cousin Joachim who failed as an estate manager). His father was very capable as estate manager and very traditional and probably raised his son that way.

It's actually quite ironic that with his demand of noble marriages the grandfather contributed to the extinction of the direct male line.

Last edited:
I think the non-aryan race clause in the will has to bee seen in the time the Will was written. If the grandfather had lived longer the Will perhaps would have been changed and this clause removed.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know, but it's not surprising to me that that kind of thing would not be upheld by a contemporary German court. So basically, if he had married a non-aryan aristocrat, he could not have lost his inheritance, no matter what the will said.

From what I read of the ruling, it also seems to me that the court did not rule on whether or not it was valid to demand that Gustav not be married to a non-aristocratic woman in order to inherit. The non-aryan part was declared void, but the court left it open as to whether he really could not have been married to a non-aristocratic woman & still inherited. They did not decide either way, since he was not married anyhow.

The challenger seems to have based his case on the fact that Gustav has been living in a relationship "similar to marriage" with Carina for years. It's quite awful really. But luckily the court found that a) the will only spoke of marriage & he was in fact not married to her. And b) even if the will had demanded it, it was too much to ask that someone not engage in any romantic relationship with a non-aristocratic woman in order to inherit.

Last edited:
Thank you to ricarda, Victor and Princess Eleanor for answering the questions regarding the court case.

Another question - why didn't Prince Gustav's father change the will when he inherited??

Thank you to ricarda, Victor and Princess Eleanor for answering the questions regarding the court case.

Another question - why didn't Prince Gustav's father change the will when he inherited??

You're welcome ?

Prince Richard never inherited the estate. He was merely a custodian for life for his son.

Precisely. A legal trick, basically, that allowed the grandfather to control his heir for life and his heir's heir until the day he got the inheritance. He would have preferred to make these rules for all future generations, and apparently had done so in his previous will, but then the law changed and the only thing he could do was make demands of the "Vorerbe" and "Nacherbe."

The "Vorerbe," Gustav's father, was never in full possession of the inheritance so to say. It belonged to him for life, but he was obliged to keep it all together, to never be married to a non-aristocratic woman & was unable to decide who his own heir should be.

Also, because there were questions about a possible appeal - this decision can apparently no longer be appealed. The German Supreme Court declined to deal with the case, so the second highest court's decision is now the highest possible one.

Prince Richard did inherit as Vorerbe/pre-heir (and he actually was the 6th Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg although he did not use the title, and as such he was head of the Sayn-Wittgenstein family) but he was never Vollerbe/full heir. Therefore he never had full power of disposal over the estate. He was bound to his father's will and could not make a will of his own (regarding the Berleburg estate at least) or change his father's will.

Prince Gustav is full heir now and can make his own will, just like his grandfather was and did.

Last edited:
Because now his opponent has no legal options anymore to claim the inheritance for himself. Gustav has won and now that the grandfather's will has been executed, he can marry whoever he wants.

His opponent?
Who was he fighting?

well I assume htat if he has now inherited the estate yes he can do what he wants with it.

His opponent?
Who was he fighting?
A cousin of his father, Louis Ferdinand, claimed he was the rightful heir because Gustav was in a marriage-like relationship with a commoner and therefore did not meet the regulations of his grandfather's will (he demanded marriages with noblewomen). There was an inheritance dispute going on since 2017.
And the court in last instance has now ruled that Gustav is legally unmarried and therefore meets the regulations of his grandfather's will. Gustav is confirmed as Vollerbe/full heir now and Louis Ferdinand has no legal options anymore to claim the inheritance.
Besides, the demand of a marriage with a noblewoman was declared "unethical" in the court ruling.

This is a pecedence case now. And very important for similiar cases and future wills.
So far German noblemen tended to marry German noblewomen in order not to loose their positions and rights. But I think this is going to change now, we will see more marriages between nobility and commoners in Germany.

Last edited:
A cousin of his father, Louis Ferdinand, claimed he was the rightful heir because Gustav was in a marriage-like relationship with a commoner and therefore did not meet the regulations of his grandfather's will (he demanded marriages with noblewomen). There was an inheritance dispute going on since 2017.
And the court in last instance has now ruled that Gustav is legally unmarried and therefore meets the regulations of his grandfather's will. Gustav is confirmed as Vollerbe/full heir now and Louis Ferdinand has no legal options anymore to claim the inheritance.
Besides, the demand of a marriage with a noblewoman was declared "unethical" in the court ruling.

This is a pecedence case now. And very important for similiar cases and future wills.
So far German noblemen tended to marry German noblewomen in order not to loose their positions and rights. But I think this is going to change now, we will see more marriages between nobility and commoners in Germany.

The things some of the aristocrats,..read Louis Ferdinand... worry about,while they are nothing less or more then couleur local...I love the idea of Gustav and Karina finally getting married.Love does concur all,always!

Congratulations to the Gustav and Carina!

Does anyone think this may have been why Carina moved to the UK for a couple of years?

Since Gustav’s relative was implying that by Carina living with Gustav for so long and being in a 19 year relationship, that they were living as a married couple and therefore should be considered married...this could be why she moved. To give the impression that she was still unmarried and independent or legally single?

It they did it would’ve been interesting, we all thought they had maybe broken up but they were really very together. Well done Carina and Gustav [emoji1319]

Does anyone think this may have been why Carina moved to the UK for a couple of years?

Since Gustav’s relative was implying that by Carina living with Gustav for so long and being in a 19 year relationship, that they were living as a married couple and therefore should be considered married...this could be why she moved. To give the impression that she was still unmarried and independent or legally single?

It they did it would’ve been interesting, we all thought they had maybe broken up but they were really very together. Well done Carina and Gustav [emoji1319]

I think there is a strong possibility that her move to the UK may have been driven by a need to demonstrate that they were not living as manand wife.

I am looking forward to this wedding, that they both deserve so much !

Can the SWB family legally use the title, HH, Prince/Princess of Denmark? If so, will this extend to Carina as well?

Can the SWB family legally use the title, HH, Prince/Princess of Denmark? If so, will this extend to Carina as well?

No they can't. King Fredrike IX. had some criteria included into the Consent of marriage of Princess Bendikte in the case she should have become Heiress to the Throne.

Wait, what? They are getting married this week after all those years?! How wonderful that they can finally get closure on that very complicated process started by Gustav's grandfather('s will) during WOII...

I wish them a very happy wedding and an even better life as a married couple!

And how greedy must you be as 'cousin' to claim this inheritance and prolong their (undeserved) 'suffering' - I am pretty sure they won't get an invite to the wedding...

Last edited:
Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson have given an interview to Danish Billed Bladet this week, posed for some lovely photos and revealed that there will be a civil wedding ceremony on June 3, followed by the church wedding on June 4 and shared the number of guests they've invited:

** BB: Kort før brylluppet: Prins Gustav og Carina Axelsson deler overraskende nyhed ** translation **

** BB: Her er forklaringen: Derfor kan prins Gustav og Carina Axelsson nu endelig gifte sig ** translation **

That there is also a civil Wedding si nos suroprise as only that is the lwegal wedding in GErmany.

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson have given an interview to Danish Billed Bladet this week, posed for some lovely photos and revealed that there will be a civil wedding ceremony on June 3, followed by the church wedding on June 4 and shared the number of guests they've invited:

** BB: Kort før brylluppet: Prins Gustav og Carina Axelsson deler overraskende nyhed ** translation **

** BB: Her er forklaringen: Derfor kan prins Gustav og Carina Axelsson nu endelig gifte sig ** translation **

The pre-wedding photos of Prince Gustav and Carina are priceless. They both look so happy and relaxed, especially Gustav. This is what true love looks like. I am thrilled for them both. Looking forward to their wedding(s) this Friday and Saturday!

They look blissfully happy in those pictures, it's really nice that they share them. Now I'm looking forward to their wedding pics and I assume that Carina will look stunning. Since they want to have a small and private ceremony, I fear that we won't get too many pics of family and friends, but I hope for some nice photos of the happy couple.

Gustav and Carina Axelsson gave a very long interview to Billed Bladet.
And while there are no big revelations there are a few details worth noting.

This is the ultra-short version that I have time for right now.

They are both immensely relieved that the court ruling went their way. That is emphasized.
Gustav also harbor considerable resentment, even anger and bitterness against the relative that sued him.
While the court-case was ongoing, Schloss Berleburg formally speaking had no owner, and that included Gustav, who was considered a lodger. As such he did not have full access and use of neither the schloss nor the lands of the estate. Someone was appointed to look after the estate for those years.
He could only use a few rooms in the schloss.

While Carina will continue her writings, she will also be the lady of the manor, in regards to Schloss Berleburg and the community of Berleburg town.

While the topic of children is not touched in the interview, it is clear to me, that their dogs are their "children."

Carina explains that there is a good chemistry between her and Mary and our Marie - mainly because they have all married (will marry) into the family and they have a number of things in common.
With Marie, French and an interest in French and Danish culture. Carina having lived in France for a long period.
Mary for her interest in horses and nature and because Mary is deeply committed to everything she is involved in. As well as her understanding of entering a family with a long history.

I wish them well, they deserve it.

A marriage probably doesn't make that much difference in their personal relationship, but it is still a nice formality to have in place. Also in regards to the locals for that matter, who now for real have an official lady of the manor.

They couldn't get married and have children because of that idiotic and anachronistic will. And when Prince Richard died his corpse wasn't even cold before an IMO greedy relative, Prince Ludwig-Ferdinand, sued for the right of Schloss Berleburg. - That happened the week after Prince Richard's death. Something that in the interview and between the lines really angered Prince Gustav.
And who can blame him! He and Carina were forced to de facto separate for several years while this case went before a court. Not to mention that Gustav was in reality evicted from him childhood home, only having a small apartment at his disposal - he couldn't even move freely on the estate!
- I don't think that relative can expect to forgiven any decade soon, let alone being invited to the wedding and other events at Schloss Berleburg.

In the interview Gustav points out that his father was a difficult man at times (read: unreasonable, pig-headed and frustrating) and that that was a help for Gustav in coping with this lawsuit.

But wonder what will happen now? Can and will they have a child? There are treatments ensuring that a pregnancy can be "arranged" pretty fast.
If that's what they want, we may see an heir next year. I hope so.

Additional details from the interview, in no particular order.
In the ruling by the Oberlandesgericht for Nordrhein-Westfalen it was determined that the will was contrary to Gustav's human rights and also that most European royal houses today have members who were commoners, so the will about Gustav's wife having to be a noble, went out the window as well. And by being unmarried Gustav had not done anything contrary to the will.
So because Gustav had done nothing wrong, the ruling went in his favor and he is now free to marry whomever he wants.

During her exile in UK, which was to some extent prolonged due to Corona, Carina got herself two cocker spaniels. Jane and Zadie.

It is emphasized that they don't look as much forward to the wedding as sealing a bond between them, but because it marks an end to a very difficult period.
Which is why the wedding is celebrated with only the closest relatives and close friends. Carina smooths out that one, by interjecting that that was also how it was done a hundred years ago. Small weddings.

When the lawsuit came, Carina went to England to write on two books she had signed a contract for - and to get away from the chaos. While Gustav from time to time visited her, while handling the lawsuits back in Berleburg.
Being separated for period wasn't anything new for them. When they first met, Prince Richard was ill with cancer, so he used the weekend visiting Carina in Paris as a way to relax and get away from the stress of his daily life, and that's what he did when he visited Carina in England as well, until Corona put an end to that for more than six months. But nevertheless the stress of it all also affected Carina, so it wasn't an easy time! Not least because with everything in the hands of the lawyers, they felt helpless.

There will 40 for the dinner in the evening after the civil wedding. There will be a lot of traditions, but also new traditions. Their dogs will take an active part in the wedding.
Gustav has two black labradors, Anna and Alice.
The whole of the DRF has been invited and parts of the Greek RF as well.
Carina's parent cannot take part, due to bad health, but her brother and sister will fly in from California.

A Danish tailor has made her wedding dress.

They have been busy preparing after the court ruling, because a number of rooms that will be used at the wedding has been renovated. The hall where the big dinner will take place hasn't been used for a hundred years and they will be the first couple who will actually live in the Schloss. (Benedikte and Richard lived in an adjacent - but still large - building.)

Carina is fond of cooking and she miss talking cooking with uncle Henri (PH) and she does use a number of his recipes.

It is Carina who is doing the decorating of the rooms and who oversee the renovations of the rooms as well.

Towards the end Gustav and Richard developed a close relationship and Carina had a good relationship with him, in the sense that he treated her kindly (at least towards the end) and they had a common interests in antiques and old houses.
As such they plan to have exhibitions at Schloss Berleburg, about culture and the 900 year long history between Schloss Berleburg and the region.
Carina in particular will be busy!
Apart from keep on writing she also intends to dedicate herself in the local culture by arranging local cultural events (typical lady of the manor work, so to speak.) And she is passionate about horses as well as classical music.
The big start of all that will in particular be the the annual Berleburg Schützenfest in July, which will be held for the first time in two years due to the pandemic. (I guess BB will cover that.)
They both believe Prince Richard would have been delighted that they could finally marry. (He was never a snob.)

During the interview Carina is wearing a ring on her left hand. That was a Christmas gift from Gustav, many years ago at Fredensborg. (Probably the Christmas where the whole extended DRF-family gathered at Fredensborg.)

Scans will come up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom