Prince Gustav, Princess Carina of Berleburg and Family, Current Events 3, June 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for sharing the announcement from the Danish Royal House! That answers my question about whether Gustav and Carina's use of "Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein" for their son on the invitation was a one-off, since their son is only called "Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg" here.

The announcement actually refers to Prince Franz-Albrecht and Prince Carl-Anton as Highness, rather than Royal Highness. Can anyone identify which family Carl-Anton belongs to? (ETA: Thank you to Adda for identifying Franz-Albrecht.) Note that the German predicates of Hoheit and Durchlaucht are both translated into Danish as Højhed (Highness), whereas English speakers would ordinarily translate Durchlaucht as Serene Highness.

Could the Danish speakers explain the difference between "faddere" and "gudforældre", which are both translated into English as "godparents"?

faddere is meant like the sense of supporters, gudforældre is godparents

Thank you for the link. I would say they had the surrogate mother give birth to the child in America simply because surrogacy arrangements are illegal in Germany. The sort of contract described in the link would be legally unrecognized in Germany for ethical reasons, even if it is legally valid in California.

See this German Federal Foreign Office page (first shared by Elizaveta):
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa-service/buergerservice/faq/-/606860

The couple had to stay in the US for a reasonable amount of time, because this means the German authoritites will treat the case as foreign affair and later the child can be registered in Germany.
If the baby came to Germany straight after birth the German law guarantees the surrogate mother the legal right to take the child back up to it's second birthday, because she is the real mother( by German law).

There are several judgements by the Federal Court of Justice, but not in English, if you like the information though, let me know.

But again, how do you know he doesn't interact with them?
I didn’t say he doesn’t interact with nobles or the Oettingens, but that he doesn’t interact with many of the nobility because he doesn’t attend most of their weddings, or funerals.

I didn’t say he doesn’t interact with nobles or the Oettingens, but that he doesn’t interact with many of the nobility because he doesn’t attend most of their weddings, or funerals.

I'm a little confused then. You said, "Gustav doesn’t really interact most of the nobility or attend their weddings apart from a few families that he’s close to."

Not attending weddings is a lot different from not interacting with them. Unless someone has personal knowledge of how Gustav spends his time, we really have no idea how much he interacts with anyone.

faddere is meant like the sense of supporters, gudforældre is godparents

Thank you for answering. What is the difference between supporters and real godparents?

There are several judgements by the Federal Court of Justice, but not in English, if you like the information though, let me know.

If it isn't too much trouble, I would, thank you. :flowers:

Thank you for answering. What is the difference between supporters and real godparents?

In Denmark, the only difference is that the godparent is the supporter/witness that carries the baby. So godparents are not any more real than the supporters/witnesses – in theory, they all have the same responsibility :flowers:

Prince Franz-Albrecht Oettingen-Oettingen and several other nobles were visibly active at Gustav's father's funeral. They held the guest lists and were seen greeting and ushering the foreign royal guests at the church doors. Seemed like the families are on close enough terms to be given these roles...

Back
Top Bottom