News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cayetano Martínez de Irujo, the Duke of Arjona, was seen training for the Madrid Horse Week today, November 19:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
7 Years since the late Duchess passed :previous:

Eugenia Martinez de Irujo attended the screening of 'La Casa Gucci' in Madrid on November 23:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Eugenia Martinez de Irujo attended an Querer Foundation event in Madrid on November 25:

** Pic ** gallery **

Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and husband Narcis Rebollo attended the 2021 Vanity Fair Personality of the Year Award held in Madrid yesterday, November 30:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

The Duchess of Huescar was pictured with daughter Rosario in Madrid this week:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

This week's edition of Spanish magazine Hola has some new photos of Olivia de Borbon (daughter of the Duke of Seville and Countess Beatrix von Hardenberg) with husband Julián Porras-Figueroa and their children Flavia and Fernando Enrique:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** hola article for subscribers **

What a lovely family and Olivia is heir to the dukedom of Seville,the family are descended from the Infante Francisco de Paula of Spain the youngest son of Carlos IV of Spain and Maria Luisa of Parma.

What a lovely family and Olivia is heir to the dukedom of Seville,the family are descended from the Infante Francisco de Paula of Spain the youngest son of Carlos IV of Spain and Maria Luisa of Parma.

Do Olivia's children keep de Borbón as their first family name or do they use their paternal name instead? I understand Olivia's husband, Julián Porras-Figueroa y Toledano, is not a member of any royal or noble house,

I always assumed both of Olivia's children used de Borbón as a surname

Flavia Porras de Borbón
Born 30 November 2016

Fernando Enrique Porras de Borbón
Born 14 August 2018

I always assumed both of Olivia's children used de Borbón as a surname

Flavia Porras de Borbón
Born 30 November 2016

Fernando Enrique Porras de Borbón
Born 14 August 2018

It's normal in Spanish-speaking countries: first surname after a father and second after a mother.

The complicated thing is Julián's surname. Apparently Porras is from his father/paternal grandfather, Figueroa is from is paternal grandmother and Toledano is from his mother (maternal grandfather). However, apparently, at the wedding just 'Porras Toledano' was used, which would be the normal way the Spanish go about surnames; so, that is most likely his legal surname; just like his children are legally Porras de Borbón.

Interestingly, there are others who carry the same (Porras de Borbón) surname; I come across an Álvaro and a Carmen.

It's normal in Spanish-speaking countries: first surname after a father and second after a mother.

I also think the future Dukes of Seville will keep de Borbón in the surname.

However, apparently, at the wedding just 'Porras Toledano' was used, which would be the normal way the Spanish go about surnames; so, that is most likely his legal surname; just like his children are legally Porras de Borbón.

When you say "at the wedding" are you referring to wedding vows, reports about the wedding, or something else? I am not sure about the practice for wedding vows, but most Spaniards do not use their full legal name for everyday activities.

The Duke and Duchess of Huescar with daughter Rosario attended the wedding of cousin Casilda Herrero and Javier Zarrabeitia Fernández-Shaw at the castle of Almodóvar del Río in Córdoba yesterday, December 31:

** hola article: La hija de los Duques de Huéscar, protagonista en la boda de Casilda Herrero, prima de Fernando y Carlos Fitz-James Stuart **

What a stunning venue for a NYE Wedding and that castle was used in the the recent HBO series Game of Thrones.

When you say "at the wedding" are you referring to wedding vows, reports about the wedding, or something else? I am not sure about the practice for wedding vows, but most Spaniards do not use their full legal name for everyday activities.

I read it is an article, so I am not exactly sure what it referred to. But using part of your legal surname would be weird; I can see either using only first/middle names or including surnames but not including part of your paternal surname and your maternal surname.

I read it is an article, so I am not exactly sure what it referred to. But using part of your legal surname would be weird; I can see either using only first/middle names or including surnames but not including part of your paternal surname and your maternal surname.

The norm is to use only the first surname for everyday activities, so in that sense it is normal to use only part of one's legal surname.

Using part of a compound surname along with a second surname is certainly unusual, but I have seen it done before.

Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and husband Narcis Rebollo attended the 90th anniversary of the Chicote Museum in Madrid today, February 9:

** gtresnews gallery **

Eugenia Martínez de Irujo and husband Narcis Rebollo attended the 'Competencia Oficial' premiere at Capitol Cinema in Madrid yesterday, February 21:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Cayetano Martínez de Irujo, the Duke of Arjona, attended the celebration for the Day of Andalucia in Seville today, February 28:

** Pic ** gtresnews gallery **

Back
Top Bottom