Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably - but I think that would be a shame. At least, I hope it's not too much shorter than Kate's - Kate's train was already too short for the Abbey anyway. It was chapel length.

Personally I think we should be looking at Haute Couture lines - not bridal lines (most bridal gowns are meager imitations of designer haute couture lines anyway).

I love looking at Elie Saab's HC lines - Spring 2015 was an incredible year. Already mentioned Ralph&Russo in 2016. Btw - a ton of bridal gowns today were inspired by Elie Saab's collections - most of the beautiful embellishment and beading we see on bridal gowns today came from his work as the inspiration.

I think the main question for Meghan will be whether she goes soft and romantic (which I believe is risky - she still needs grandeur and it's harder to pull that off with softer fabrics), or modern and dramatic.

Either one can be pulled off in a respectable way that honors tradition... guess it depends on what Meghan dreams of.

Does anyone know what she wore to her first wedding? I imagine she'd probably choose something very different for this wedding.

My hope is that we get something modern and dramatic with a long enough train, substantial fabric (nothing that will cling to her and show something inadvertently), and some statement beadwork/lace/appliquework that elevates the gown.

I can't remember the royal bride's name - but someone mentioned it earlier - it was the spanish bride? She had the off the shoulder gown with flared skirt in a really heavy fabric and green shoes? That dress looked stunning with her coloring and the fabric was perfect. Unique and lovely. Perfect volume with the skirt and great train for the location. Loved her hair and the whole look.

That's my hope for Meghan - something like that - maybe with a more embellishment - although if she chooses something with a strong architectural shape, I'd be fine with little embellishment. She will have a tiara after all.

I just hope I'm not underwhelmed by her dress like I was with Kate's (a version of that dress had been in designer collections for years before Kate's wedding - you could literally run out during her wedding and buy something off the rack that looked almost exactly like Kate's gown), or downright disappointed like I was with Sophie's (such a tragedy).

My favorite gown lately has been Stephanie of Luxembourg. But that was Elie Saab.

For her first wedding Meghan wore a very simple gown, understandable due to the beach setting. It was a strapless white dress which was flowy but had no volume (almost like a maxi-dress). There was no embellishment except for a belt around the waist.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/01/09/19/3BF1FAE600000578-4103188-image-a-11_1483991306968.jpg

Will Meghan have a new bridal veil? Or might she be given an heirloom veil?

I’d like to see her in the diamond tiara that HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex wore to the pre-wedding event for the crown prince of Denmark in 2004

I’d like to see her in the diamond tiara that HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex wore to the pre-wedding event for the crown prince of Denmark in 2004

She wore a small diamond floral button-type tiara to Frederik and Mary's pre-wedding gala in 2004 - speculation says this might have been a loan from a jeweler, and hasn't been seen since.

Just saw this dress and really liked it. It has some statement beading, but then a simple silhouette. I think something like this in a slightly more substantial silk crepe with more volume in the skirt (like a modified fitted a-line flare) would be stunning.

Even better if this had a cape as well.

Fantastic dress. One of the best I have seen on here :flowers:

There is nothing immodest about the back, even for the 'pearl clutchers'. If it was the front of the dress perhaps, as it wold show a lot of cleavage, but not the back. Not even as deep as the back on HGD Stephanie's wedding dress. A veil would also help disguise some of it.

If she doesn't go vintage, I'd love something like this, streamlined front with a very eyecatching back to it.

I even like the idea, though would work better without veil, of a cape wedding dress. Seen a few posted here.

http://fustany.com/images/en/photo/large_large_wedding-dress-with-cape-2016-trend-fustany-14.jpg
http://fustany.com/images/en/photo/large_large_wedding-dress-with-cape-2016-trend-fustany-10.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/da/8b/d2/...-wedding-dress-cape-cream-wedding-dresses.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/61/7d/10/...d7bfef--wedding-gown-with-cape-bride-cape.jpg
https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-...pe-wedding-dresses-2017-mary-039-s-bridal.jpg

The one I have bolded is AMAZING!!!

I think perhaps she will veer toward a gown that makes the most of her assets, bearing in mind that a lot of the column dresses would look odd on her and make her look very thin and small.

There are elements of gowns that give great ideas - Princess Anne's pintucks showed off what an exquisite figure she has, MM train was pure romance, as indeed was Stephanie's, the neckline of both CP Victoria and Charlene showcased really elegant necklines. Obviously, you can go on and on, but one thing I do know, it will be her and her alone that we see walking down the aisle.

Just saw this dress and really liked it. It has some statement beading, but then a simple silhouette. I think something like this in a slightly more substantial silk crepe with more volume in the skirt (like a modified fitted a-line flare) would be stunning.
Even better if this had a cape as well.

I'm not sure which dress you were highlighting :huh: there were so many on the page. But I loved this one, on the upper left of the linked page (not sure it would be Meghan's style choice). :flowers: The lace overlay is gorgeous!

:previous: IMO looks a bit more like old crochet then fine lace. Not sure it fits what Meghan calls a more sleek fashion sense.

I would assume fashion meant the first dress, the one that appears large and alone at the top of the page she linked. As I assume you mean the large one at the top of your post. That is what happens with pinterest links, shows more then just the one pin (you have a number of dresses on your link too). :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still thinking she will do a Modified A Line or an actual A Line. I would be surprised if she wore anything fitted (waist down I mean). Some of the looser fitting Sheath styles might be an option too.

LaRae

I agree. People have to remember that she’s getting married in a chapel with 800 seating capacity. It’s a smaller wedding for the royals, but it’s not a small wedding by any means. It wouldn’t surprise me if they went to full capacity for this wedding. I always thought Kate’s dress was too little for Westminster Abbey and didn’t hold up the scene. I fully expect a fuller bottom half to the dress than Sophie had.

I agree. People have to remember that she’s getting married in a chapel with 800 seating capacity. It’s a smaller wedding for the royals, but it’s not a small wedding by any means. It wouldn’t surprise me if they went to full capacity for this wedding. I always thought Kate’s dress was too little for Westminster Abbey and didn’t hold up the scene. I fully expect a fuller bottom half to the dress than Sophie had.

Right the dress has to have presence but not overwhelm her. She has enough confidence/presence to wear a 'big' (not cupcake poofy big) dress and carry it off.

LaRae

She might have the presence to pull off a fuller dress, but does she want to??? Just because it is a royal wedding doesn't mean she has to have a ball gown. Many a royal bride has worn a much sleeker style. Westminster abbey called for a much more grand style. While St George's is large, it doesn't require the same grandeur. She could get away with a much simpler gown without looking like she is disappearing in the scenery.

An A-line I can see, a modified one, but I don't see her going with a full ball gown, even one that isn't a cupcake.

A drop waist might be a good option, very fitted but still the drama of a skirt. Again simpler ones could have a jeweled belt or such added to it to add some drama.

https://d1zpvjny0s6omk.cloudfront.net/media/cache/aa/f1/aaf1f9d8abe430c9cdabdf7ec986104d.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ec/cb/d0/eccbd0757c9507bea82cfd7a2d8b7252.jpg
http://www.sofiehouse.co/media/cata...et-Wedding-Dress-Detachable-Cap-Sleeves-1.jpg
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB14puv...d-Flare-Illusion-Cap-Sleeve-Wedding-Dress.jpg
http://thebeautybridal.com/wp-conte...eves-and-hand-tufted-skirt-Style-Sapphire.jpg

Last edited:
Who said anything about ball gowns?

LaRae

She doesn't strike me as the type to want your typical bridal dress with bigger skirt and lace top. If her steeze is more into the Carolyn Bessette Kennedy look, a Pippa or Kate gown won't be it.

Well she can't wear a Bessette look ...and she will look lovely in something of more substance and it doesn't have to have any lace on it.

LaRae

She might have the presence to pull off a fuller dress, but does she want to??? Just because it is a royal wedding doesn't mean she has to have a ball gown. Many a royal bride has worn a much sleeker style. Westminster abbey called for a much more grand style. While St George's is large, it doesn't require the same grandeur. She could get away with a much simpler gown without looking like she is disappearing in the scenery.

An A-line I can see, a modified one, but I don't see her going with a full ball gown, even one that isn't a cupcake.

A drop waist might be a good option, very fitted but still the drama of a skirt. Again simpler ones could have a jeweled belt or such added to it to add some drama.
No one talked about ball gown when we were talking about being able to hold up in a venue that fits 800. We were talking about a-line or modified a-line. Some of the dresses posted before were so light that it just wouldn’t work. I always thought Kate’s dress was too small for the Abbey. Good thing was that Kate is rather tall. I dont expect her dress to be as big as Kate’s still, but I wouldn’t count on it being that much smaller. I think it’ll be more than Sophie Wessex’s , the last televised wedding at St. George, dress. And yes, I know Camilla and Charles had their televised blessing there, but that wasn’t a wedding and not comparable in the dress or accessories department.

Last edited:
:previous: Sorry but when you talk about 'big skirts' and comments that Kate's skirt didn't have enough 'pressence' you certainly allude to a ball gown. There is only so 'big' an A-line skirt can do. And many of us have actually posted aline dresses here, not just sheaths.

Well she can't wear a Bessette look ...and she will look lovely in something of more substance and it doesn't have to have any lace on it.

LaRae
Just because she can't wear a slip dress and be done with it, doesn't mean she can't go for minimal and sleek.

Just because she can't wear a slip dress and be done with it, doesn't mean she can't go for minimal and sleek.

She can go sleek, but it won’t be minimal in the same sense as a normal bride.

:previous: Sorry but when you talk about 'big skirts' and comments that Kate's skirt didn't have enough 'pressence' you certainly allude to a ball gown. There is only so 'big' an A-line skirt can do. And many of us have actually posted aline dresses here, not just sheaths.

I said some of the dresses posted, not all. My comment about Kate’s dress was referring to the Abbey, not St. George. It was a comment about not being too small for the venue as I thought Kate’s dress was too small for her venue. Not that Meghan’s dress being bigger than what Kate wore.

In fact, when I said a fuller bottom of the dress, I compared it to Sohpie’s dress specifically, and not Kate’s.

I wasn't alluding to a ball gown. Big does not mean 'poofy'. Big as in a statement dress...something with presence.

Most of us have posted both A line, modified A line and Sheaths. Those can be 'big' dresses.

LaRae

I don't think anyone is against that? I've posted a several sleek modified A line and sheaths.

LaRae

My comment wasn't meant to start an entire discussion about what sleek and minimal is. I've seen links to dresses with lots of bling, drama and lace and I merely said I don't think that is what she'll wear.

Will Meghan's dress have short sleeves or long sleeves?

I could see her going either way.

LaRae

Jasper Conrad designed Lady Sarah Chatto’s sleek but not minimalist gown. Some of his are lovely.

Yes along with CP Victoria, Princess Grace, Princess Charlene, CP Mette Marit..more sleek styles etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom