Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly a nice selection of brooches to have options from!

LaRae

https://www.maggiesottero.com/blog/cap-sleeve-chiffon-wedding-dress-rosemary/

:previous: That dress gathered at one side with the decorative brooch is quite pretty. It's very interesting and attractive.

The brooch idea is unique, but as far as the jeweled belt, I don't think Meghan is going to do anything with a belted look at her waist because she did that for her previous more casual wedding on the beach.

Last edited:
That would be very risky!

Didn't Diana do that with the Emmanuels?
And look what they came up with!

Diana's dress is 30+ years in the past. It suited her, it suited the time, and it suited the venue. I do wish people would bear that in mind.

I have to admit I am totally off lace gowns. I feel like I overdosed on sugar and my palette needs clearing. In fact, you can add beading, applique, crystals, etc. I think I am officially over it. Almost all the lace ones can be likened to Catherine's and I think I'd go back to the beginning with those gorgeous Katherine Hepburn 1940's styles.

An honest to goodness '40s wedding gown.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ns&simid=608032487822067842&selectedIndex=138

I don't think Meghan needs any 'softening' @KittyAtlanta. Meghan is small-boned, relatively petite to average height, and very feminine. She gets her small frame from her Mom, as well as her ideals and her sense of caring about others. What makes Meghan special is her ability to embrace her soft femininity and her womanhood, and at the same time to proclaim her power, her beauty, her outspokenness, and her smarts.

I'm sure Meghan is going to choose a wedding dress design that perfectly suits her own sensibilities and style aesthetic, while also melding her selection to what is apropos to royal tradition and to the ancient venue, but with a modern twist. She is a strong, pretty woman who embraces both her softness and her strength. So I guess we'll see how who Meghan is plays out in what she has already chosen to wear. ?

You seem to have a strong sense of what you'd like to see Meghan wear. What she wore for the engagement photo was a surprise in it's fanciful glamour, which I don't think anyone was expecting. And all of the criticisms were so over the top and unnecessary. It will be interesting to see what Meghan and her designer and stylist have decided upon for her all-important wedding dress.

Although Meghan is between 5'6" and 5'7", she appears to be small-boned with a relatively small, slim frame, albeit shapely. She will likely wear comfortable but low heels (not stilettos) to give her a bit more height next to Harry in his military uniform. Meghan has been adept, yet casual about coordinating their looks. The other thing to think about when selecting a dress is bodily proportions. Meghan appears to have long to average length arms and legs with moderate to broad shoulders, a long neck, an oval face with an elongated chin, very thin but gorgeously shaped legs and ankles, plus a short torso. All those factors are taken into consideration when choosing the clothes she wears, and especially the design of her wedding dress.

By 'soften' are you referring to fluffy romance or to what exactly?

My goodness, to whom are you talking? I don't care (too much) about having someone go on and on about a person they don't know (f you do know her, tell us now). I'm discussing her gown, not every bit of minutiae regarding Meghan.

Diana's dress is 30+ years in the past. It suited her, it suited the time, and it suited the venue. I do wish people would bear that in mind.

I don't believe that it suited her at all.
Even at the time, that dress met with widespread criticism.

But it is true that back then, it was possible to get away with a design that seems OTT today.

Last edited:
I don't believe that it suited her at all.

i've never been able to track it down on the Internet, but in Spring of 1981 British Vogue did a Bridal 'photoshoot' which featured an Emanuel Gown pretty much identical to Diana's [except it was pure White, and without the lace around the neckline, on the bodice and at the elbows]
The Model wore a Tiara, but on 'punky' spiked Hair, without a veil.
Ever since i've been convinced Diana saw that issue, and said to Vogue [who were already 'advising' her] and said "I want something like that"...
A very young woman [girl really] with no notion of what suited her, or what she really liked.. [indeed without much interest in clothes].
It makes sense to me that she would impulsively pick something she saw and liked [and it was STAGGERINGLY lovely in the photoshoot], and, 'get it done with' and out of the way...without a great deal of thought...

My husband thought it was the most beautiful wedding gown he'd ever seen. But, then, most women dress for other women, not men. I thought Diana's gown was very special. I might have been thinking that in the future, no one else would wear a dress like that as well as she did and as far as I can tell, no one has. On the other hand, her selection might have been impulsive, as I think she was prone to that. She chose her engagement ring on impulse...she just picked the biggest one!

i've never been able to track it down on the Internet, but in Spring of 1981 British Vogue did a Bridal 'photoshoot' which featured an Emanuel Gown pretty much identical to Diana's [except it was pure White, and without the lace around the neckline, on the bodice and at the elbows]
The Model wore a Tiara, but on 'punky' spiked Hair, without a veil.
Ever since i've been convinced Diana saw that issue, and said to Vogue [who were already 'advising' her] and said "I want something like that"...
A very young woman [girl really] with no notion of what suited her, or what she really liked.. [indeed without much interest in clothes].
It makes sense to me that she would impulsively pick something she saw and liked [and it was STAGGERINGLY lovely in the photoshoot], and, 'get it done with' and out of the way...without a great deal of thought...

That makes sense to me...we know she was very young and did not have the fashion sense she came to have later. She even poked fun at herself about some of her early clothing choices.

I expect Meghan to make a much better choice for her dress.

LaRae

My goodness, to whom are you talking? I don't care (too much) about having someone go on and on about a person they don't know (f you do know her, tell us now). I'm discussing her gown, not every bit of minutiae regarding Meghan.

:lol: A bit of run-on by me about the little I do know about Meghan in terms of her physical build and her public personality. I wasn't sure what you meant by Meghan needing to wear something to 'soften' her. It's not a big deal, indeed. I was just curious what you meant, since I don't see her as needing any 'softening.' If you could clarify, there might at least be better understanding. ?

This is a pleasant thread to frequent for all of the ideas and suggestions being offered, in advance of seeing exactly what Meghan has chosen.

I like the second Suzanne Neville dress you linked.

I much prefer the second Neville dress too.

LaRae

None of them know....2 weeks ago it was McQueen.

However I'm not a fan of R&R dresses. They don't seem like her style either, they are so fussy/busy.

LaRae

Who called Ralph and Russo? I didn't think Meghan would choose this designer because of the pushback she got the engagement gown, which was designed by R&R. I saw the wedding gown this team designs and they don't come near what we've seen as Meghan's style. Then again, who expected that black gown with the sheer top for the engagement photo? Meghan doesn't plan to look like Kate on her big day

I was just listening to a new podcast by royal reporters and they stated that there is no pressure for Meghan to wear a British designer (except from the tabloids from all sides) and at the end of the day it's her decision.

Which I hope so.

So despite Ralph and Russo being Australian, the label is considered a British label b/c of where it was started ...interesting.

Last edited:
Who called Ralph and Russo? I didn't think Meghan would choose this designer because of the pushback she got the engagement gown, which was designed by R&R. I saw the wedding gown this team designs and they don't come near what we've seen as Meghan's style. Then again, who expected that black gown with the sheer top for the engagement photo? Meghan doesn't plan to look like Kate on her big day

There was pushback on price, not on the designer. One would expect that kind of money spent on a wedding dress not engagement photos.

But I doubt very much they will be designing her wedding gown. I don't think Meghan would have used the designer for both gowns.

Totally agree, she wont pick a style like Kate. They have drastically different styles.

I was just listening to a new podcast by royal reporters and they stated that there is no pressure for Meghan to wear a British designer (except from the tabloids from all sides) and at the end of the day it's her decision.

Which I hope so.

There may be no pressure from the palace, but there is certain public expectation. I would be shocked if Meghan doesn't choose a British designer. She has made a concerted effort in her public events since the engagement to wear British designers, including lesser known houses. She gets very well her future role as a british royal member, and the role they have in representing the country.

And why not? Its not like this is a small country with like 2 designers to choose from. There is a wide spectrum of top designers, and ones she has worn in the past before Harry.

None of them know....2 weeks ago it was McQueen.

However I'm not a fan of R&R dresses. They don't seem like her style either, they are so fussy/busy.

And before that it was the Israeli designer who had been asked :whistling:

I agree on their dresses. They are too showy, like being designed for a movie set, for production value.

If Meghan doesn't like design ideas for her dress from British designers I don't think she should feel pressured to choose one. Maybe it's because I'm American but I think being pressured to wear a certain countries clothes for your wedding is unfair to the bride and taking national pride a little far. It reminds me of those people who get upset if a politician doesn't drive an American made car.

What if she should a small little designer in Belgium who makes a beautiful dress she wants in the style of a previous British Royal Wedding dress such as Alexandria, Margaret, or the Queen Mother?

Last edited:
If Meghan doesn't like design ideas for her dress from British designers I don't think she should feel pressured to choose one. Maybe it's because I'm American but I think being pressured to wear a certain countries clothes for your wedding is unfair to the bride and taking national pride a little far. It reminds me of those people who get upset if a politician doesn't drive an American made car.

What if she should a small little designer in Belgium who makes a beautiful dress she wants in the style of a previous British Royal Wedding dress such as Alexandria, Margaret, or the Queen Mother?

I'm sure there is a British designer that Meghan would be able to work with. This is a case where Meghan is going to be close enough to the throne that promoting a British company with her wedding gown would be seen as a positive. I can see where it is very different from another random dress or coat here and there.

Since she's marrying a prominent member of the RF, whose career will be promoting Britian and she will be expected to help with that, she should certainly use British designers....

Definitely a case where people have drastically different ideas, because I don't like anything about it. But then I don't care for the cape effect that seems to be popular now.

But I can see Meghan wearing a gown like this if for anything to acknowledge this is her second marriage. She can wear a veil if she wants, but IMO a veil should be for a first marriage and a veil with a cape should not be worn together. Serena Williams did a cape and a veil for her wedding:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...Q7AkINA&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=voOATW-ZjZ7dyM:

For me it's one or the other.

I found this under Ralph and Russo wedding gowns and this could be an option for Meghan due to the engagement dress:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ral...ved=0ahUKEwjZm9DgouLZAhVYyYMKHXMjDe4Q9QEIPTAK

The link doesn't show a specific dress...just a whole page of dresses.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think either of those dresses have enough presence for a venue like St George and a royal wedding though.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom