Kings and Queens of Pamplona and Navarre

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
List of the monarchs of the Kingdom of Navarra, from its origin, around 824 and more specifically from 905 who already signed with the name of the Kingdom of Pamplona, as later, from mid-1162, already expressly as the Kingdom of Navarra until 1841, on the one hand, in Spain, whose title was repealed and Navarra was incorporated as another province, and until 1830, on the other hand, in France with the definitive fall of the Bourbons, with the interlude of the French Revolution.

Attachments

• arbol_borbon.gif
    arbol_borbon.gif
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
Íñigo Arista (. 771-790 – 851 or 852) was a Basque chieftain and the first king of Pamplona. He is thought to have risen to prominence after the defeat of local Frankish partisans at the Battle of Pancorbo in 816, and his rule is usually dated from shortly after the defeat of a Carolingian army in 824.
More Information:

García Íñiguez I (c. 810 – 882), also known as García I was the second king of Pamplona from 851–2 until his death. He was the son of Íñigo Arista, the first king of Pamplona. Educated in Cordoba, he was a successful military leader who led the military campaigns of the kingdom during the last years of his father's life.
More information:

Fortún Garcés (Basque: Orti Gartzez; died 922) nicknamed the One-eyed (el Tuerto), and years later the Monk (el Monje), was king of Pamplona from 870/882 until 905. He appears in Arabic records as Fortoûn ibn Garsiya. He was the eldest son of García Iñíguez and grandson of Íñigo Arista, the first king of Pamplona. Reigning for about thirty years, Fortún Garcés would be the last king of the Íñiguez dynasty.
More information:

Sancho Garcés I (c. 860 – 10 December 925), also known as Sancho I, was king of Pamplona from 905 until 925. He was the son of García Jiménez and was the first king of Pamplona of the Jiménez dynasty. Sancho I was the feudal ruler of the Onsella valley, and expanded his power to all the neighboring territories. He was chosen to replace Fortún Garcés by the Pamplonese nobility in 905.
More information:

Jimeno Garcés, sometimes Jimeno II (died 932/3), was the King of Pamplona from 925 until his death. He was the brother of King Sancho I Garcés and son of García Jiménez by his second wife, Dadildis of Pallars. When his brother died, Sancho's only son, García Sánchez, was still a child and Jimeno succeeded his brother, becoming the second ruler of the Jiménez dynasty.
More information:

Sancho Garcés II (c. 938 – 994), also known as Sancho II, was King of Pamplona and Count of Aragon from 970 until his death in 994. He was the eldest son of García Sánchez I of Pamplona and Andregoto Galíndez. He recognised the Kingdom of Viguera during his reign.
More information:

García Sánchez II (died c. 1000), was King of Pamplona and Count of Aragon from 994 until his death c. 1000. He was the eldest son of Sancho II of Pamplona and Urraca Fernández and the second Pamplonese monarch to also hold the title of count of Aragon.
More information:

Sancho Garcés III (c. 992–996 – 18 October 1035), also known as Sancho the Great (Spanish: Sancho el Mayor, Basque: Antso Gartzez Nagusia), was the King of Pamplona from 1004 until his death in 1035. He also ruled the County of Aragon and by marriage the counties of Castile, Álava and Monzón. He later added the counties of Sobrarbe (1015), Ribagorza (1018) and Cea (1030), and would intervene in the Kingdom of León, taking its eponymous capital city in 1034.
More information:

García Sánchez III (c. 1012 – 1 September 1054), nicknamed García from Nájera was King of Pamplona from 1034 until his death. He was also Count of Álava and had under his personal control part of the County of Castile.
More information:

Sancho Garcés IV (c. 1039 – 4 June 1076), nicknamed Sancho of Peñalén (Basque: Antso Peñalengoa, Spanish: Sancho el de Peñalén) was King of Pamplona from 1054 until his death. He was the eldest son of García Sánchez III and his wife, Stephanie, and was crowned king of Pamplona after his father was killed during the Battle of Atapuerca.
More information:

Kings of Navarre who were Kings of Aragon:

King Sancho I/IV of Aragon & Navarre and Wives (Queen Isabel and Queen Felicie)

King Pedro I of Aragon & Navarre and Wives (Queen Inéz and Queen Berta)

King Alfonso I 'The Warrior' of Aragon & Navarre and Queen Urraca of Castile & Léon

García Ramírez, sometimes García IV, V, VI or VII (c. 1112 – 21 November 1150), called the Restorer (Spanish: el Restaurador, Basque: Basque: Berrezarlea), was the King of Navarre (Pamplona) from 1134. The election of García Ramírez restored the independence of the Navarrese kingdom after 58 years of political union with the Kingdom of Aragon.
More information:

Sancho Garcés VI (21 April 1132 - 27 June 1194), called the Wise was King of Navarre from 1150 until his death in 1194. He was the first monarch to officially drop the title of King of Pamplona in favour of King of Navarre, thus changing the designation of his kingdom. Sancho Garcés was responsible for bringing his kingdom into the political orbit of Europe. He was the eldest son of García Ramírez, the Restorer and Margaret of L'Aigle.
More information:

King Sancho VII of Navarre and Constance of Toulouse

Theobald I (30 May 1201 – 8 July 1253), also called the Troubadour and the Posthumous, was Count of Champagne (as Theobald IV) from birth and King of Navarre from 1234. He initiated the Barons' Crusade, was famous as a trouvère, and was the first Frenchman to rule Navarre.
More information:

Theobald II[a] (6/7 December 1239 – 4/5 December 1270) was King of Navarre and also, as Theobald V, Count of Champagne and Brie, from 1253 until his death. He was the son and successor of Theobald I and the second Navarrese monarch of the House of Blois. After he died childless, the throne of Navarre passed to his younger brother, Henry I.
More information:

Henry the Fat, Enrique el Gordo (c. 1244 – 22 July 1274) was King of Navarre (as Henry I) and Count of Champagne and Brie (as Henry III) from 1270 until his death.
More information:

Joan I (14 January 1273 – 31 March/2 April 1305) was ruling Queen of Navarre and Countess of Champagne from 1274 until 1305. She was also Queen of France by marriage to King Philip IV. She founded the College of Navarre in Paris in 1305.
More information:

King Louis X/I of France and Navarre and Wives (Margarita of Borgoña and Clemencia)

King Philippe V/II of France and Navarre and Queen Joan II, Countess of Burgundy
King Charles IV/I of France and Navarre and Wifes (Blance, Marie and Joan of Évreux)

Joan II (28 January 1312[a] – 6 October 1349) was Queen of Navarre from 1328 until her death. She was the only surviving child of Louis X of France, King of France and Navarre, and Margaret of Burgundy.
Joan's husband, Philip of Évreux, was a grandson of Philip III of France.
More information:

Charles II (10 October 1332 – 1 January 1387), known as the Bad,[a] was King of Navarre beginning in 1349, as well as Count of Évreux beginning in 1343, holding both titles until his death in 1387.
More information:

Charles III (22 July 1361 – 8 September 1425), called the Noble, was King of Navarre from 1387 to his death and Count of Évreux in France from 1387 to 1404, when he exchanged Évreux for the Duchy of Nemours.
More information:

King Juan II 'The Great' of Aragon and Queen Blanche I of Navarre

Queen Leonor I of Navarre and Gaston IV, Count of Foix

Francis Phoebus (4 December 1467 – 7 January 1483) was King of Navarre (1479–1483), Viscount of Bearn, and Count of Foix (1472). He was the son of Gaston, Prince of Viana, and grandson of Queen Eleanor, whom he succeeded. She recommended him to ally with France.
More information:

Catherine I of Navarre/Catherine de Foix

Henry II (18 April 1503 – 25 May 1555), nicknamed Sangüesino because he was born at Sangüesa, was the King of Navarre from 1517, although his kingdom had been reduced to a small territory north of the Pyrenees by the Spanish conquest of 1512.
More information:

Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre & Antoine de Bourbon

King Henri IV/III of France and Navarre (1553-1610)

King Louis XIII /II of France and Navarre (1601-1643) and Anne of Austria

Last edited:
Quite a few of the monarchs of Navarre were more or less French and looked more to the King of France as opposed to the Iberian monarchs.
The monarchs from the Houses of Champagne,Evereux ,Foix and Albert all had vast lands in the kingdom of France. Joan or Jeanne I of Navarre was born in France never ruled in person and her French mother,Blanche d'Artois ruled Navarre as queen regent ,whilst poor Jeanne was married off to the French king.
Navarre was then ruled from Paris.

From five years ago, an interesting documentary on the history of the kingdom of Pamplona --> Navara. The visual introduction ends at the 1:17 minute mark and you hear the narrator start the history of how the area became independent despite so many enemy nations attacking in all fronts.

If you want to have an idea of what Spain was like before the Trastamara cousins merged in marriage Castille (Queen Isabel/Elizabeth) and Aragon + Sicily & Naples (King Fernado/Ferdinand), think of Central Europe + Italy + Germany's Sacred Roman Empire. Spain was an area of independent micro kingdom nations that, like ancient Greece, made possible because of our geography prevented one ruler to easily overpower everyone else's kingdoms at the time.

That geography was a key factor for so many northbound areas to remain independent, like Asturias, and fight back invaders to expand both area and population.

Last edited:
Genealogy of the Kings of Navarre

Attachments

• 2024_05_21_02.19.07.jpg
    2024_05_21_02.19.07.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2024_05_21_02.19.04.jpg
    2024_05_21_02.19.04.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2024_05_21_02.18.56.jpg
    2024_05_21_02.18.56.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2024_05_21_02.18.47.jpg
    2024_05_21_02.18.47.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2024_05_21_02.18.37.jpg
    2024_05_21_02.18.37.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
Catherine I er or Catherine de Foix was the last ruler of the kingdom of Navarre until the Invasion of 1512.
Catherine fled to Béarn as lower Navarre was annexed by Ferdinand II .Several attempts were made to reconquer Lower Navarre by the French later failed.

The lands in green and purple were the French domains of Catherine I and the house of Foix-Albret
596px-Conquista_de_Navarra_cy.svg.png

The 1659 Treaty of the Pyrenees put an end to the litigation over the definite French-Spanish borders and to any French-Navarrese dynastic claim over Spanish Navarre. The title of King of Navarre continued to be used by the Kings of France until the French Revolution in 1792, and was revived again during the Restoration, 1814–30. Since the rest of Navarre was in Spanish hands, the kings of Spain would also use the title of King of Navarre.

Back
Top Bottom