Kingdom of Tonga

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That could be the reason although I would bet economics also has something to do with it. The last coronation was quite lavish and expensive for such a poor country.

That could be the reason although I would bet economics also has something to do with it. The last coronation was quite lavish and expensive for such a poor country.

Good call. I think I have read somewhere that the coronation in 2008 cost 2.5 million!

A new heir for Tonga

Crown Prince of Tonga Siaosi Manumataongo Alaivahamama'o Aho'eitu Konstantin Tuku'aho (b.17 September 1985) [son of King Tupou VI of Tonga (b.1959) & his wife, Queen Nanasipau'u Tuku'aho (b.1954)] & his wife,Crown Princess Sinaitakala, nee Tuimatamoana Fakafanua (b. in 1987) [daughter of Princess Sinaitakala Ofeinae-he Lang Tuku'aho (b.1953) & her late husband, Hon. Dr. Kinikinilau Tuto'atasi Fakafanua, 7th Lord Fakafanua (1962-2006)] had their first child, a son named Taufa'ahau Manumata'ogo Tuku'aho, in Auckland, Zew Zealand, on 10 May.

Sources: Tupou10
Naissance du fils du prince héritier du Tonga | Noblesse & Royautés
Tongan princess gives birth - Pacific Profile - Story - Pacific Profile - World - 3 News (Thanks Lenora!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurray! Congrats to the parents, grandparents and great-grandmother!

:bunny::king3::cheers::baby::duckie::hug::rose2::fireworks:

Thankyou for the video link; I hope the couple will have every happiness :)

Honourable Salote Lupepau'u Tuita (b.16 April 1977) married, as her second husband, Epeli " Epi" Taione (b.2 March 1979) at Natadola Bay, Fiji, on 17 August.

She was previously married (from 2003 to 2008) to Matai'ulua Fusitu'a, by whom she has a daughter Phaedra (b.2003).

Her new husband is a former Tongan rugby player, currently the Chairman of the Tongan Rugby Union.

Source: Lupepau

Im thinking pf planning a vacation to Tonga. What are the chances I could see the royals? Thanks in advance: )

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 6h
The King of Tonga is in the UK, the Court Circular says. He arrived on Saturday afternoon & was greeted by Baroness Northover.

Crown Prince of Tonga Siaosi Manumataongo Alaivahamama'o Aho'eitu Konstantin Tuku'aho (b.17 September 1985) [son of King Tupou VI of Tonga (b.1959) & his wife, Queen Nanasipau'u Tuku'aho (b.1954)] & his wife,Crown Princess Sinaitakala, nee Tuimatamoana Fakafanua (b. in 1987) [daughter of Princess Sinaitakala Ofeinae-he Lang Tuku'aho (b.1953) & her late husband, Hon. Dr. Kinikinilau Tuto'atasi Fakafanua, 7th Lord Fakafanua (1962-2006)] had their second child, a daughter named Halaevalu Mata'aho (after her great-grandmother) in Auckland, Zew Zealand, in Auckland, New Zealand, on 12 July.
Her name is still unknown.

A sister for Taufa'ahau Manumata'ongo Tuku'aho (10-5-2013).

Source: Naissance princière au Tonga

Thank you, wartenberg7. That was wonderful!

When will the coronation of the "new" King and Queen take place?!

Lord Kalaniuvalu, aged 37, the eldest son of HRH the Princess Mele Siu'ilikutapu, who had died suddenly in Auckland, New Zealand, early Sunday morning, April 4, was buried at the Paepae 'o Tele'a Royal Cemetery, Lapaha on April 14th.
The royal family including King George Tupou V were present at the funeral.

This young man who died, Hon Filusi Tiosilusi (Theophilus) Fatu’ilangi Ngalumo’etutulu (Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili), 5th Lord Kalaniuvalu who died suddenly in 2010 was no ordinary lord - he was an extremely important person in Tonga.

Theophilus who was the head of the House of Kalaniuvalu was also the head of THE ancient royal line of Tonga (known as the Tui Tonga) who had ruled the Empire of Tonga for a thousand years up until 1865 when the last of their line saw his throne usurped by the present ruling dynasty.

To simplify things a lot the current kings of Tonga (the ones who usurped power in 1865) are a junior branch of a cadet line (the Tui Kanokopulu) of the ancient Tongan royal family. Essentially the Tui Tonga split many hundreds of years ago and this cadet branch were regional lords of some kind. However, the political and religious (pagan) power of the Tui Tonga seriously declined in the 18th Century (mainly due to foreign influences like Christianity) and when the penultimate Emperor of Tonga died in 1810 leaving behind just an infant son, Laufilitonga, the weaknesses came to the surface.

Prince Laufilitonga was too young to rule and the resulting power vacuum without a king allowed a junior member of the Tui Kanokopulu named Tāufaʻāhau I, whose family were the Chiefs of Ha'apai and not a major player at all, to rebel and begin taking over parts of Tonga beyond his own fief.

This brought him into direct conflict with Laufilitonga and the loyalists and a brief war broke out in 1826. Laufilitonga was defeated and the result of this was Prince Laufilitonga became a virtual prisoner and Chief Tāufaʻāhau increased in power massively.

This worried the other chiefs of Tonga so they tried to shore up the old regime by installing Laufilitonga as emperor in 1827 but it was clear he was now just a figurehead and the old empire now split into a dozen component parts. So the next trick Tāufaʻāhau had up his sleave was to get baptised in 1831, take the name "George" and declare himself to be King George I of Tonga. This got the powerful Christian missionaries on his side and the outlying islands fell to "King George" one by one while the main capital island, Tongatapu, erupted into civil war.

Tāufaʻāhau (aka Kng George) next defeated his rivals within his own clan to became the Head of the Tui Kanokopulu clan in 1845; adopting the subsidiary title "Tupou".

In 1852 the last independent chief (Takai Mo Fa'e) was defeated and King George Tupou was the undisputed ruler of the islands....

That is except for the powerless Emperor Laufilitonga who was still alive. He died in 1865 and the ancient, traditional monarchy was abolished by decree of Tonga's new Christian ruler who, in 1875, promulgated a constitution for the Kingdom of Tonga and had himself crowned in the Christian manner as King George Tupou I.

But that's not the end of the story. Laufilitonga had several sons and one of these (from whom the deceased subject of this piece of writing is descended from) was created the first Lord Kalaniuvalu by King George Tupou in 1875.

The line goes like this:

1. Emperor Laufilitonga (b.1797, installed 1827, d.1865)
2. Lord Viliami Fatafehi-’o-Lapaha Kalaniuvalu (b. 1828, d. 1903) (son of 1)
3. Amelia Leafa’-i-tulangi Kalaniuvalu Fotofili (b. 1879, d. 1926 (dau of 2)
4. Lord Semisi Fatafehi Fonua Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili (b.1911, d.1962) (son of 3)
5. Lord Sosiua Ngalumoetutulu Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili (b.1936,d.1999) (son of 4)
6. Lord Filusi Tiosilusi Ngalumoetutulu Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili, (1972-2010) (son of 5 and the subject of this comment)

Number 6 - whose Anglicized name was Theophilus - sadly died of a heart attack in New Zealand while still quite young and without issue. He was the 5th hereditary lord of Kalaniuvalu and heir to the very ancient imperial throne and spiritual office of the Tui Tonga that had ruled Tongatupa for 1,000 years.

Logically he would be succeeded by his younger brother:

The Hon Tepuiti Tupoulahi Mailefihi Fatuilangi Ngalu Mo’etutulu (Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili), 11th Lord Fotofili. b. at Nuku’alofa, 1975 and who m. at the Free Wesleyan Centenary Church, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 28th August 2010 to Marcella Margaret Tupoumoheofo [The Hon Lady Fotofili] (b. 1977), elder daughter of H.E. Sonatane Tu’akinamolahi Taumoepeau Tupou.

I don't know if the official King of Tonga (George Tupou VI) has designated this man is the 7th Lord Kalaniuvalu or not and I don't know if this needs to happen for him to inherit the title.

Maybe someone in Tonga can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard somewhere that one of HM sons (Prince Ata?), left the official church of Tonga, and joined the LDS church. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Apparently his majesty tried to stop his son from going through with it twice. I think this happened in Hawaii this year? I also heard that the king was so upset that he stripped his son of his titles.

Just curious as whether anyone had anything on this?

I heard somewhere that one of HM sons (Prince Ata?), left the official church of Tonga, and joined the LDS church. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Apparently his majesty tried to stop his son from going through with it twice. I think this happened in Hawaii this year? I also heard that the king was so upset that he stripped his son of his titles.

Just curious as whether anyone had anything on this?

Prince Ata baptised in Mormon church despite king’s repeated requests to postpone  ceremony - New Zealand Kaniva Pacific

An interesting Constitutional issue has developed in Tonga recently.

The King of Tonga has been petitioned by a group of people, including a former Education Minister, teachers and parents to revoke the appointment of the current Minister of Education and Training from his position because he is also the Prime Minister and they wish him to concentrate on that role instead.

Only the King has the authority to revoke the appointment of a Minister on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. But what to do when the Minister in question is also the Prime Minister.

This link explains further:

Education petitioners present concerns to Palace | Matangi Tonga

There are two lines of Royals in Tonga, Tupou is the other line. There was a King who worried the his family could be slaughtered so he created a secret second linage. To This dar The second line lives on. There's one of the Prices he lives in Hawaii.

Congratulations to them!
So from the grandchildren of the Queen Mother all daughters of Princess Pilolevu and the Crown Prince are married?

Last edited:
Rest in Peace Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho, The Queen Mother of Tonga.

RIP Queen Mum of Tonga!

Back
Top Bottom