King Harald's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Sonja and CP Haakon are now at the hospital, according to NRK.

The King will have a permanent pacemaker implanted once he is completely free from infection. I think this was kind of expected, since they said that the one implanted in Malaysia was only temporary.

His dad had heart issues. I suppose Harald's are similar?

The latest Press Statement from the Norwegian Royal Court, in full

His Majesty The King, as informed in recent days, has been suffering from an infection and low heart rate, requiring hospitalization and medical transportation home.
The infection has recently become more under control. His Majesty has a low heart rate and will require a permanent pacemaker.
The timing of the pacemaker implantation will be determined by when His Majesty is completely free from infection. This could take several days, so The King is likely to remain at Rikshospitalet until after the weekend.
Overall, his condition is stable and improving.

His dad had heart issues. I suppose Harald's are similar?

Oh I didn't know that. The good thing is that these days there are very good heart procedures available, probably a lot better and less risky than when King Olav was alive. And King Harald will get the very best treatment, so I'm optimistic.
I'm not a medical expert, but I think the most risky thing was probably that long flight back. Thankfully it all went well 😊

He better not! If Durek has one brain cell he should know it is best to keep his mouth shut and not say anything about the health of the much loved King!
My thoughts exactly. If he feels compelled to say something, it should be nothing more than he hopes the King feels better soon. Preferably- he just keeps his mouth shut.

Very nice to see all family members visiting King Harald. That shows how much he is loved by his family. On the other hand it is a bit worrying that they all are rushing to visit. I just hope for him and his family that he is stable and his condition doesn't get worse.

I noticed that almost all of them are wearing black or dark clothes… I hope it’s just a coincidence and not an indication of any danger…

But Crown Prince Haakon is in Bergen today carrying out official engagements. I don’t think he would have been, had there been any immediate danger with the King’s life…

Upon being questioned by reporters, he said that the King’s strength had been ”reduced” by his illness and that he is in need of rest but that it was great to see both of his parents being back home… He did not appear to be overly worried…

Crown Prince Haakon said the King and Queen's trip to Malaysia was made in consultation with a doctor: "It's a decision they should be able to make" he said.

They way the Norwegian family has been handling everything seems so sensible. They're reporting what's going on with enough detail to answer curiosity, but not so much that the king loses all privacy.

They also seem very down to earth in how they're handling driving themselves to the hospital to visit the king and so on. I noticed in the picture of Sverre Magnus entering the hospital that he has a backpack over his shoulder, just as every student does.

Did King's maternal granddaughters come to visit him?

Did the Ferner and Lorentzen families come to visit the King?

Did King's maternal granddaughters come to visit him?
Did you mean Martha-Louise's daughters?

They way the Norwegian family has been handling everything seems so sensible. They're reporting what's going on with enough detail to answer curiosity, but not so much that the king loses all privacy.

They also seem very down to earth in how they're handling driving themselves to the hospital to visit the king and so on. I noticed in the picture of Sverre Magnus entering the hospital that he has a backpack over his shoulder, just as every student does.
Its not really any different to Buckingham Palace's management of KCIII prostate issue and cancer. We know he has an infection, but not what kind or severity, similar to KCIII's cancer. We know he needed an operation for a pacemaker for a low heart rate just as we know KCIII had an operation for an enlarged prostate. Both had family visit them that was well publicized in the media. The have both struck a good balance of having to be open and honest due to them being the Sovereigns while also keeping a bit of privacy and continuing to act calm and collected.

King Harald has had so many health issues in the last few years. However his constitution and spirit remain determined to carry on. I really do wish him all the best and after a few weeks rest I’m sure he will be up and about again.

Its not really any different to Buckingham Palace's management of KCIII prostate issue and cancer. We know he has an infection, but not what kind or severity, similar to KCIII's cancer. We know he needed an operation for a pacemaker for a low heart rate just as we know KCIII had an operation for an enlarged prostate. Both had family visit them that was well publicized in the media. The have both struck a good balance of having to be open and honest due to them being the Sovereigns while also keeping a bit of privacy and continuing to act calm and collected.
I have to disagree with you a little here. I view the Norwegians as being more detailed about their reports in a way that cuts off speculation. When Harald had cancer, for instance, they named it.

Buckingham Palace started that way with Charles during his prostate procedure, but they have been opaque about the cancer and treatment.

That may turn out to be a strategic choice for Charles, but it opens the door to speculation. I don't see Harald facing that. His office has kept information flowing on a daily basis.

Today's update sounds good:

His Majesty the King is steadily improving, and the general condition is satisfactory. The doctors are satisfied with the development.The infection is under control, and the pacemaker insertion will probably take place early next week.

** kongehuset: Oppdatering om Kongens helsesituasjon **

The King Harald V and the Queen Sonja would like to send the following thanks:
We feel a great need to thank you for all the care, help and support in connection with the King falling ill on our holiday in Malaysia.

We have felt heat pouring from the Norwegian people during this time. The great commitment has touched us and strengthened us. Thank you to everyone for the consideration you have shown us in the family.

Back home in Norway again, we would also like to extend a big thank you to the Malaysian authorities and staff at Sultanah Maliha Hospital at Langkawi. Together with Norwegian health personnel, they did everything they could to ensure that the King got through his illness well and was ready for his return journey.

We are very grateful to the Norwegian government, the Armed Forces and others who helped make the journey home so safe and smooth for us.

At Rikshospitalet, the King is now under expert treatment. We thank everyone who has given us care, practical and medical help in a challenging situation.

Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon visited the King this afternoon.

Photos:

It would be good is Princess Martha Louise would go see her father.

Back
Top Bottom