King Harald's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
King Harald has an respiratory infection, the court announced today, January 31:

His Majesty the King is on sick leave until Friday 2 February due to a respiratory infection. His Royal Highness the Crown Prince Regent carries out the King's programme.

** kongehuset: Kongen sykmeldt ut fredag **

Wishing King Harald a speedy recovery ,respiratory infections can take some time to get over once treated.

King Harald has an respiratory infection, the court announced today, January 31:

It is a terrible winter this year - but especially in Norway I heard. I wish the old King the best recovery!

Everytime HM is ill my heart skips a best. I hope he makes a quick and total recovery.

** kongehuset: Kongen sykmeldt ut fredag **

The King will be on sick leave for a few more days and has cancelled his planned attendance at the Landsskytterstevnet (National Rifle Championship) on Sunday …

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=225163&sek=112472

As His Majesty is both a heart patient and a cancer survivor, he should rest anytime he is ill and take it easy until he feels better.

Absolutely agree.

Those years it's more important that King Harald is around than what he is doing. Just by doing that he will buy more time for Ingrid to prepare for her future role - and simply being young.

The King has been admitted to hospital in Malaysia during a private holiday, due to an infection.

He is being looked after by both malaysian and norwegian medical staff.

He has been admitted to hospital several times before when he has caught an infection, to be treated with antibiotics intravenously. As he is both a heart patient and a cancer survivour, and now also 87 years old, he is vulnerable to infections.

Meanwhile, VG is constantly monitoring news about King Harald V's health status live:

The statement from the Royal House:

His Majesty the King fell ill while on holiday in Malaysia and is hospitalized with an infection. The king receives good support from medical personnel in Malaysia and Norway.

Last edited:
The King has been admitted to hospital in Malaysia during a private holiday, due to an infection.

He is being looked after by both malaysian and norwegian medical staff.

He has been admitted to hospital several times before when he has caught an infection, to be treated with antibiotics intravenously. As he is both a heart patient and a cancer survivour, and now also 87 years old, he is vulnerable to infections.
It seems to become more and more with his infections. Not really good.

The hospitals in Malaysia can be very good so I'm sure he is receiving the best care. I hope he does recover and is able to return to his home.

I wish the King a speedy recovery. At his age and with his conditions, I am surprised he was allowed to travel such a far distance. Although, I can understand the need for a nice warm vacation away from the frigid Norwegian winter.

I share the wishes for the King to have a speedy recovery.

I wish the King a speedy recovery. At his age and with his conditions, I am surprised he was allowed to travel such a far distance. Although, I can understand the need for a nice warm vacation away from the frigid Norwegian winter.
I was also surprised that he had travelled so far away from Norway, given his recent medical history…

But i suppose, if The King wants it - The King does it ?

Last edited:
Sorry, but maybe traveling all the way to Malaysia with his recent health issues, wasn't the best idea. October he was out, a few weeks ago in late January. And at this age.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

He has been 'out' due to illness many times over the last few years, so it isn't a surprise that he might catch something while on holiday was well. Hopefully he recovers well and will be able to make the long flight back to Norway soon.

I'm surprised that he would take such a long trip -- and a long (12+ hour) flight -- given his health issues. The Spain or the Canary Islands would give him warm weather much closer to home (and his doctors).

Seeing how many times he has gone on sick leave in the past few years makes me think his cousin Queen Margrethe was wise to step aside before she was in a similar position.

TV 2 contacted Sultanah Maliha Hospital on Wednesday.

- The King's condition is stable and he receives quality treatment from qualified doctors here, says a hospital official.

Good to hear his condition is stable. I googled the hospital, it's on the beautiful isle of Langkawi, hopefully it's a good hospital. I visited Langkawi in the 1980s, they didn't even have water to run the showers back in those times. But it is decades ago, everything is probably perfect by now.

The king's doctor has gone to Malaysia
"Update on the King's health situation
His Majesty the King's physician is in Langkawi and notes that the King is recovering from his infection. The king is well looked after in the hospital and receives good treatment.

The king will remain in the hospital for a few more days. No decision has been made regarding the return journey. The Norwegian embassy in Kuala Lumpur has offered practical assistance in connection with the visit.

The rest of the Royal Family's official program is going as planned."

Crown Prince Haakon: - The king is in good spirits
Crown Prince Haakon says that he spoke with his father, King Harald, this morning. - It seemed as if the form is a little better, he says. The king's physician also states that the king is on the mend.

That a frail 87-year-old monarch, who has been in and out of hospital for infections in recent years, travels to Malaysia is, IMO, not the wisest decision that has been made!

--------------------

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre said the following to the state broadcaster NRK today:

''Statsministerens kontor blir jo informert av Slottet når noe sånt skjer, og for meg er det viktig å si at vi stoler på det vi får høre om at han får god behandling og god oppfølging.

Men vi blir jo urolig når kongen vår blir syk og blir innlagt på sykehus enten det er i Norge eller utlandet, og kanskje særlig når det skjer i utlandet.

Nå er jeg er opptatt av at vi skal gjøre det vi kan for å bidra for å få kongen hjem så fort som mulig og så frisk som mulig.''

''The Prime Minister's office is informed by the Palace when something like this happens, and for me it is important to say that we trust what we hear about him receiving good treatment and good follow-up.

But we get worried when our king falls ill and is admitted to hospital, whether in Norway or abroad, and perhaps especially when it happens abroad.

Now we should do what we can to contribute to getting the king home as quickly as possible and as healthy as possible.''

(The quote is taken from the NRK-article in polyesco's post.)

--------------------

Media-coverage:

Unsurprisingly, the online versions of the newspapers have been full of it.
And the two main broadcasters, NRK and TV2, have had it as their main story on the television news where they have talked to their royal experts about the King's health and how busy he was last year.

TV2 also has its own news channel, which has been full of it.
And both NRK and TV2 have sent reporters to Malaysia.

Last edited:
The King is old, and realistically doesn't have many years left, if he wants to enjoy a tropical holiday then he should. If I was his age I would hate to live in a cocoon.

Sorry, but maybe traveling all the way to Malaysia with his recent health issues, wasn't the best idea. October he was out, a few weeks ago in late January. And at this age.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.
I agree. We are not even done with February 2024 and this is his second time in hospital. Maybe traveling such a long way for a private holiday was ill-advised. He is obviously in delicate health and much more susceptible to catching things. I do wish him a speedy recovery and I hope that if his doctors are giving him sound medical advice that he listens!

"Update on the King's health situation
His Majesty the King's physician reports today that the King is recovering. The king is still being treated at the hospital.

As reported yesterday, the King will be in the hospital for a few more days, and the King will be well looked after there.

The aim is that the King can return home by plane in a few days. The government arranges the transport, and the Norwegian Armed Forces are responsible for the practical arrangements for the return journey."

Haakon on his father today
"- He is still recovering, and we are following the situation closely, Crown Prince Haakon said of the king then.
He also stated that work is being done to find a solution for transport home for the king.
The Crown Prince Regent said today that he does not currently want to travel to Malaysia.
- As the situation is now, it is not relevant, he said."

Too bad for him and his wife that the holiday turned out so bad. Haakons' s reply sounds reassuring, as he doesn't see a necessity to travel to Malaysia. They will definetly work out a solution as I am sure that the King will get better treatment at home.
On a side note, why do so many royals and millionaires go to the US or Europe to get treatment when they are seriously sick?

Scandinavian media reports that an SAS-plane that's being used for medical transports has landed in Langkawi to bring the king back to Norway. (They didn't say why, but it's not that difficult to figure out). Hopefully he will be back home soon.

Norwegians really seem laid back - in every other country there would be sh*tstorm in the media for a head of state taking such an unnecessarily risk at his age and with his well documented health problems, going on holiday in Malaysia and produce this effort and cost to get him back.

Yes a Boing 737-700 that was converted a few years ago to a Military Medical Evacuations Plane has landed in Langkawi after a flight from Oslo via Sharjah…

The Norwegian Armed Forces can ofcourse not say why but as the norwegian government has already instructed the norwegian armed forces to arrange the King’s return trip, it is not difficult to figure out…

Hopefully the King is well enough to go home as planned in a few days, even if it will be in a flying hospital…

Back
Top Bottom