King Abdullah & Queen Rania- Current News & Photos XI

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyonnaise

Serene Highness
Welcome to thread eleven of Current news and pictures of King Abdullah, Queen Rania, and family.

The previous thread can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/king-abdullah-queen-rania-current-news-photos-x-7491.html

Please review TRF's Posting Rules and Guidelines before posting: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4920. Violations of these rules may result in a supsension or permanent ban from the forum.

IMPORTANT: all photos must be credited when posted. As well, older photos must be hosted at other site such as Photobucket or Image Shack. Please see the ammended attachment policy: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ad.php?p=223503

Last edited:
07.11 / 14:04 King of Jordan pays an official visit to Kazakhstan
ASTANA. November 7. KAZINFORM. November 8-10 King of Jordan Abdullah II bin Al Hussein is arriving in Kazakhstan on an official visit. In the course of the visit the high guest will hold negotiations with Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev. A series of bilateral documents are supposed to be signed.
http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=137494;

King Receives Cables of Congratulations</STRONG>
Pet0206 4 0183 King Receives Cables of Congratulations For Newspapers Only =================== His Majesty King Abdullah II received cables of congratulations on the occasion of Eid Al Fitr. Cables were sent by King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia, King Muhammad VI of Morocco, President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai, President of Ivory Coast Laurent Gbagbo and Saudi Crown Prince Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz. Senders of the cables valued efforts being exerted by His Majesty King Abdullah II in promoting brotherly ties between Arab and Islamic nations. They also wished the King continued good health and happiness and the people of Jordan Further progress and prosperity. //Petra// 061544 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/06/28567300.htm

King Swears In Jordan's Ambassadors to Syria and Iraq</STRONG>
Pet0366 4 0090 King Swears In Jordan's Ambassadors to Syria and Iraq Amman, Nov. 7 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Monday accepted the oath of office of new Ambassadors, in the presence of Acting Director of King's Office Ma'rouf Bakhit and Foreign Minister Farouq Qasrawi. The new Ambassadors are Jordan's ambassador to Syria Hashem Shboul, its ambassador to Iraq Ahmad Al Lawzi. //Petra// 071415 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/07/28586300.htm

King Congratulates Tunisian President</STRONG>
Pet0348 4 0131 King Congratulates Tunisian President For Newspapers Only ================= Amman/Nov.6 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Sunday sent a cable to Tunisian President Zein al-Abidin Ben Ali congratulating him in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government on the occasion of the Assumption of His Constitutional Powers. The King wished the President continued good health and happiness and the brethren Tunisian people further progress and prosperity. Wardat/Petra 061922 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/06/28568700.htm

king abdulla leaves to kazakhstan

King Abdullah arrived to Kazakhstan

From getty

Attachments

• 56117446.jpg
    56117446.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 336
  • 56117459.jpg
    56117459.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 56117478.jpg
    56117478.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 56117488.jpg
    56117488.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 56117503.jpg
    56117503.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 311
King Holds Talks With President of Kazakhstan</STRONG>
Pet0415 4 0184 King Holds Talks With President of Kazakhstan Amman, Nov. 8 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Tuesday held talks with President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev in the economic capital of Almaty, on the bilateral relations and ways of enhancing and promoting them in the different domains in addition to a number of regional and international issues. The two leaders reiterated, in press statements following the meeting, their keenness to activate the cooptation and friendship relations between the two countries, expressing relief over the results of talks. King Abdullah expressed happiness over this visit, which he considered as a new page in strengthening relations between the two countries. //Petra//.............More 081439 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/08/28605600.htm

Jordan voices support to Syria against pressure over Hariri murder case
3zoom.gif
printResizeButton();
spacer.gif

Jordan on Monday voiced its support to Syria which is facing mounting international pressure following a UN report on the assassination of Lebanon's ex-premier Rafik Hariri, the official SANA news agency reported.
Jordanian King Abdullah II made the pledge while meeting with Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem in Amman, who presented the king a message from Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

http://english.people.com.cn/200511/08/eng20051108_219677.html

raniatit.gif
2 NOVEMBER 2005
Jordan's Queen Rania normally dazzles onlookers with her elegant fashion choices, but she and her husband King Abdullah were happy to fade into the background when they brought their little boy Hussein on a spiritual pilgrimage this week.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/11/02/kingabdullah/
didn't post the pictures as they've been posted before, although if you click on the link you can see them.

In Great Britain there is a court dossier or something (can't recall the exact name) which essentially lists upcoming activities of the members of the court. Does such a thing exist in Jordan?

I came acros this article. It's quite interesting and Rania and Noor both have a brief mention.

"Analysis: Women and a culture of peace

By CLAUDE SALHANI
UPI International Editor WASHINGTON, Nov. 8 (UPI) -- Establishing a role for women in a patriarchal society, one in which they can contribute toward building a culture of peace, is no simple task. Nevertheless, despite restrictions imposed more by cultural traditions than by religious diktat, Muslim women are not entirely the second-class citizens deprived of all rights, as so often portrayed in the West. And nor are non-Muslim women living in the Muslim world..............

Queen Noor of Jordan, and the reigning monarch's wife, Queen Rania, are prime examples of influential Muslim women involved in promoting dialogue between cultures. "
http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20051103-025117-6669r

Jordan's King Abdullah to visit the West Bank
corner_l_t.1.gif
Posted: 09-11-2005 , 08:32 GMT
corner_l_b.1.gif
Jordan's King Abdullah II will arrive in the West Bank next week for talks with Palestinian leaders regarding the Middle East peace process. Abdullah is expected to visit the town of Ramallah, where he will attend a memorial ceremony in honor of his late father, King Hussein.

Security reasons had forced Abdullah to postpone a similar visit planned to the West Bank last month. The king will also visit Israel on his trip, according to the AP, in honor of the 10th anniversary of the assassination of former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin.
http://www.albawaba.com/en/countries/Jordan/191193
there's no mention of Rania, will she be going with him?

Local families get the royal treatment
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 11/9/05

BY BONNIE DELANEY
STAFF WRITER
How many people can say they know a king?
Brian Solik of Dover Township and Paul Nowak of Freehold Township can. The men, who graduated in 1980 from Deerfield Academy in Deerfield, Mass., were classmates of King Abdullah Hussein, the reigning king of Jordan.
The classmates and their wives were among a group of 180 Deerfield alumni invited by King Abdullah II to visit his country in August for a week as his guests.
"One reason was to promote a school he is building for Middle Eastern high school students," said Solik, a financial adviser for Merrill Lynch in Dover Township. "We were given the royal treatment!"
"We have all come back as ambassadors for Jordan because our friend, King Abdullah, has a vision to promote religious freedom and tolerance in Jordan and the Middle East," said Solik, who traveled to Jordan with his wife, Donna. During an interview Nov. 3 at the Soliks' home, the Soliks and Nowak and his wife, Joan, talked about their fairy-tale trip and recalled the men's royal classmate, who was a prince when he attended the private, then-all-boys boarding school.........................
CompleteStory

I've moved any relevant posts regarding the Jordanian Royal Family's responses and actions to the 9/11 attacks to this thread.

Please continue to post there any articles or images related to the Jordanian terrorist attack.

I just thought I would let you know that there is an article on Queen Rania in this weeks PEOPLE magazine (Nov. 21, 2005 issue with Kenny Chesney on the cover. The article is on page 110). I would scan the article, but I don't have a scanner.

US Secretary of State to Meet with King Abdullah II of Jordan

14 November 2005 | 11:42 | FOCUS News Agency

Amman. US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will meet with King Abdullah II of Jordan regarding the attacks, which killed 57 people last Wednesday in Amman, the Spanish news agency EFE reported, citing official information.
Abdullah II and Rice will also discuss the restoration of peace between Palestinians and Israeli. Before visiting Jordan, Rice visited Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Israel and the Palestinian Autonomy, the agency reported.
http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=138&newsid=76435&ch=0

Jordanian king discusses with EU officials Mideast issues
AMMAN, Nov 13 (KUNA) -- King Abdullah II held talks here Sunday with EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana and Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moller on the situations in Iraq and Palestinian territories, an official statement said.
http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=786910

King Visits Army Headquarters</STRONG>
Pet0345 4 0098 King Visits Army Headquarters For Newspapers Only........... Amman, Nov. 16 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II, the Supreme Commander of the Jordan Armed Forces visited on Wednesday the General Headquarters of the Armed Forces. His Majesty met with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Khaled Jamil Sarairah and discussed with him a number of issues of concern to the armed forces. //Petra// 161335 Local NOV 2005 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/16/28858500.htm

Queen Rania "People" Magazine Article

I purchased the "People" magazine issue released the week before the bombings featuring Queen Rania. It was apparently done to promote her upcoming US visit (which was cancelled in the wake of the Amman attacks). Some excerpts from the 4 page spread:

Headline: A Very Modern Queen

Subhead: At 35, Rania of Jordan, balances work, motherhood, a leading role in a traditional Arab kingdom--and still has time for Desperate Housewives.

It is late afternoon, a.ka., the Whining Hour--that time when children grow restless and tummies begin to growl. And so Queen Rania of Jordan--Her Majesty to her subjects, Mama to her four young children with King Abdullah--sets about preparing katayef, savory cheese and walnut stuffed pancakes, with the help of her daughters, princesses Iman, 9, and Salma, 5. As the girls and their mom work, a nanny keeps an eye on 10 month old Prince Hashem, while KA, dressed in his off-duty uniform of combat pants and a T-shirt, appears briefly in the family's newly-built palace near Amman. Nearby, the couple's eldest son, Prince Hussein, 11, plays a computer game. "I am influenced by my son," the queen says with a laugh. "I listen to everything from 50 Cents to Coldplay to Alicia Keys to Norah Jones."

Yes, her Majesty Queen Rania--at 35, the world's youngest queen, who presides with her husband over a kingdom that dates back several thousand years--is a Coldplay fan. She's also a fashion designer's darling (Givenchy and Roland Mouret are favorites), a "Desperate Housewives" devotee and an outspoken advocate in her Muslim country for long-taboo causes like women's rights and victims of child abuse. Whether commanding attention at the 2004 World Economic Forum or plopping herself down on the floor with a dozen children at a puppet show to highlight child safety, Rania, as she is called by friends and colleagues, "is the epitome of modern royalty," says her pal Katie Couric. "She is such a terrific spokesperson for her country and the whole region. I'm a full-out gusher when I talk about her."

Unlike her royal counterparts in the west, the Kuwaiti-born Rania--who kicks off a US visit on November 16th to promote Arab-American relations--faces the daunting task of straddling modern and ancient worlds. "She has to constantly be aware of not offending, not stepping too far beyond the bounds of tradition and yet pushing just enough to keep the dialogue going and progress moving forward," says her friend Pat Mitchell, president and CEO of PBS. Rania has used her Jordan River Foundation to establish the country's first-ever center for abused children and to promote small loans for women starting their own businesses--moves that may have ruffled more feathers among Jordan's male-dominated old guard were it not for her smooth political charm.Says Mitchell "she has threaded the needle very carefully."

The balancing act extends to her 12 year marriage, itself a unique mix of traditional and modern mores. Rania praises Abdullah's "really good" barbeque skills; he defers to her modern decorating sense in the hilltop palace they moved into last year (the family also spends time in England and the Jordanian resort of Aqaba). Yet in a region where women traditionally have had a limited voice, "she has a natural ability to reach out," says Abdullah, 43, who unexpectedly ascended the throne in 1999, when his cancer-stricken father, King Hussein changed the line of succession shortly before he died. "We really work as a team," he says. "She covers areas that I am unable to dedicate much time to."

Her life changed forever in January 1993, when she attended a dinner party given by Abdullah's sister, Princess Aisha. "The minute Rania walked in, I knew it right there and then," says Abdullah. "It was love at first sight." His wife is more circumspect. "I knew he was KH's son and I was a bit wary of that," she says. "But I think he was quite interested, and he pursued it and it kind of happened." Five months later, the pair wed. "It was quick," says Rania, speaking in her flawless English. (Arabic is her first language). She says her own commoner's background allowed the romance to blossom naturally. "Nobody knew who I was, which was good."

The anonymity was to be short-lived, particularly after KH's 1999 death. Since then, Hussein's widow, the American-born Queen Noor, spends most of her time in the US and London, telling People in 2003 "I have the impression that it might give (Rania and Abdullah) a little bit more space and ease."

In the years following their accession, the royal couple says they have worked hard to remain as grounded as a couple of married monarchs can be. "We make sure to go to restaurants or go catch a movie somewhere, drive our own cars," says Rania, who often picks up her children from school behind the wheel of her Mercedes SUV (albeit with a security detail trailing her). Safety issues are always in the back of her mind--the late KH who faced opposition for his moderate views, survived several assassination attempts--"but it's not something I think about on a day to day basis," she says.

Instead, the multi-tasking queen, who missed the April wedding of friends Prince Charles and Camilla because she was still nursing Hashem, focuses on priorities: family and work. "It is a constant juggling act," she says. "Achieving that balance is about keeping some of the balls in the air most of the time."

Last edited:
Thats a great article maryshawn, thanx for posting it:)
Though I still cant get over the fact that QR watches Desperate Houswives!
I dont know what people see in that show:cool:

King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein of Jordan To Receive the Pope John Paul II Peace Prize

WASHINGTON - The Pope John Paul II Peace Prize for 2005 will be awarded to His Majesty King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on November 16 at an international event honoring the late Pontiff.
"His Majesty King Abdullah II was chosen because of his efforts to broker peace and understanding and for his tireless work to peacefully settle conflicts that engender violence," said Msgr. William A. Kerr, executive director of the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center,

http://www.jp2cc.org/news/KingAbdullahII.pdf

"I liked the fact Queen Rania tried to keep the world's eye on the situation with her appeals and visit. This cause needs more high-profile supporters."

I completely agree, I'm glad to see Musharraf hasn't kept quiet over the issue. Moreover, when she recently received the "Glamour Woman of the Year Award", Mukhtar (the Pakistani woman who was the victim of a barbaric gang rape) urged the people attending to help the earthquake victims.

Thanks for the article, maryshawn, I especially like Prince Hussein's musical taste, with the exception of 50Cent, of course.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Thats a great article maryshawn, thanx for posting it:)
Though I still cant get over the fact that QR watches Desperate Houswives!
I dont know what people see in that show:cool:

It's really campy and over-the-top, I think that's why so many people like it (at least that's why I would tune in):p

Sorry for going off topic:eek:

maryshawn said:
I purchased the "People" magazine issue released the week before the bombings featuring Queen Rania. It was apparently done to promote her upcoming US visit (which was cancelled in the wake of the Amman attacks). Some excerpts from the 4 page spread:

Headline: A Very Modern Queen

Subhead: At 35, Rania of Jordan, balances work, motherhood, a leading role in a traditional Arab kingdom--and still has time for Desperate Housewives.

It is late afternoon, a.ka., the Whining Hour--that time when children grow restless and tummies begin to growl. And so Queen Rania of Jordan--Her Majesty to her subjects, Mama to her four young children with King Abdullah--sets about preparing katayef, savory cheese and walnut stuffed pancakes, with the help of her daughters, princesses Iman, 9, and Salma, 5. As the girls and their mom work, a nanny keeps an eye on 10 month old Prince Hashem, while KA, dressed in his off-duty uniform of combat pants and a T-shirt, appears briefly in the family's newly-built palace near Amman. Nearby, the couple's eldest son, Prince Hussein, 11, plays a computer game. "I am influenced by my son," the queen says with a laugh. "I listen to everything from 50 Cents to Coldplay to Alicia Keys to Norah Jones."

Yes, her Majesty Queen Rania--at 35, the world's youngest queen, who presides with her husband over a kingdom that dates back several thousand years--is a Coldplay fan. She's also a fashion designer's darling (Givenchy and Roland Mouret are favorites), a "Desperate Housewives" devotee and an outspoken advocate in her Muslim country for long-taboo causes like women's rights and victims of child abuse. Whether commanding attention at the 2004 World Economic Forum or plopping herself down on the floor with a dozen children at a puppet show to highlight child safety, Rania, as she is called by friends and colleagues, "is the epitome of modern royalty," says her pal Katie Couric. "She is such a terrific spokesperson for her country and the whole region. I'm a full-out gusher when I talk about her."

Unlike her royal counterparts in the west, the Kuwaiti-born Rania--who kicks off a US visit on November 16th to promote Arab-American relations--faces the daunting task of straddling modern and ancient worlds. "She has to constantly be aware of not offending, not stepping too far beyond the bounds of tradition and yet pushing just enough to keep the dialogue going and progress moving forward," says her friend Pat Mitchell, president and CEO of PBS. Rania has used her Jordan River Foundation to establish the country's first-ever center for abused children and to promote small loans for women starting their own businesses--moves that may have ruffled more feathers among Jordan's male-dominated old guard were it not for her smooth political charm.Says Mitchell "she has threaded the needle very carefully."

The balancing act extends to her 12 year marriage, itself a unique mix of traditional and modern mores. Rania praises Abdullah's "really good" barbeque skills; he defers to her modern decorating sense in the hilltop palace they moved into last year (the family also spends time in England and the Jordanian resort of Aqaba). Yet in a region where women traditionally have had a limited voice, "she has a natural ability to reach out," says Abdullah, 43, who unexpectedly ascended the throne in 1999, when his cancer-stricken father, King Hussein changed the line of succession shortly before he died. "We really work as a team," he says. "She covers areas that I am unable to dedicate much time to."

Her life changed forever in January 1993, when she attended a dinner party given by Abdullah's sister, Princess Aisha. "The minute Rania walked in, I knew it right there and then," says Abdullah. "It was love at first sight." His wife is more circumspect. "I knew he was KH's son and I was a bit wary of that," she says. "But I think he was quite interested, and he pursued it and it kind of happened." Five months later, the pair wed. "It was quick," says Rania, speaking in her flawless English. (Arabic is her first language). She says her own commoner's background allowed the romance to blossom naturally. "Nobody knew who I was, which was good."

The anonymity was to be short-lived, particularly after KH's 1999 death. Since then, Hussein's widow, the American-born Queen Noor, spends most of her time in the US and London, telling People in 2003 "I have the impression that it might give (Rania and Abdullah) a little bit more space and ease."

In the years following their accession, the royal couple says they have worked hard to remain as grounded as a couple of married monarchs can be. "We make sure to go to restaurants or go catch a movie somewhere, drive our own cars," says Rania, who often picks up her children from school behind the wheel of her Mercedes SUV (albeit with a security detail trailing her). Safety issues are always in the back of her mind--the late KH who faced opposition for his moderate views, survived several assassination attempts--"but it's not something I think about on a day to day basis," she says.

Instead, the multi-tasking queen, who missed the April wedding of friends Prince Charles and Camilla because she was still nursing Hashem, focuses on priorities: family and work. "It is a constant juggling act," she says. "Achieving that balance is about keeping some of the balls in the air most of the time."

Nice interesting article. Thanks for posting it:) :p

Queen Rania wasn't able to attend the John Paul Legacy dinner but she sent in a taped message:

Queen Rania Sends Televised Message of Peace and Tolerance

Amman, Nov. 17(Petra)-- In recognition of his efforts in prompting peace and inter-religious dialogue between faiths, His Majesty King Abdullah II, on Wednesday, 16th of November, was awarded the first Pope John Paul II Peace Prize at an international event in Washington DC honoring the late Pontiff.

Speaking in a televised message aired during the ceremony, Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah, said: " even if I am not there in person, I feel the connection between us. Because community is not defined by proximity. It stems from the values we share."
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Nov/17/28893800.htm

At the same ceremony:

King awarded first Pope John Paul II Peace Award

WASHINGTON (AP) — His Majesty King Abdullah was awarded the first Pope John Paul II Peace Award on Wednesday in recognition of his efforts to promote tolerance among the world's religions and tackle extremism.

The King, who did not attend the award ceremony, accepted it in a letter “on behalf of the people of my beloved Jordan and the entire Arab world. Millions are courageously standing up for peace and tolerance — the traditional Muslim values that are the heart of our heritage and our hope for the future.”
http://www.jordantimes.com/fri/homenews/homenews1.htm

Lillia said:
It's really campy and over-the-top, I think that's why so many people like it (at least that's why I would tune in):p

and what about Rania listening to 50 cent? I think her son might be a bad influence:p
I just found that so funny.

Its amazing how many articles about KA or QR mention cooking. Both of them have said they enjoy it and its great that they involve their kids in the whole thing.
I think its wonderful and a great way for the whole family to relax together.
Im not a great cook but I always enjoy occassions when a whole bunch of family members or even just my immediate family cook a meal together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom