Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofía, News and Pictures Part 1: April - July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least the queen has a namesake! Her sister even had one before her, so it's a nice gesture. I'm from a culture where names aren't repeated, either, but it's a great tribute at the same time.

Well in fact your culture DID repeated names. For example, you have a George Bush and a George Bush Jr., the current United States President. I studied some American Genealogy and I find a lot of names repeated in families (for example, you will find a lot of Laura Ingalls in a same family. One of them was the famous writer, but other was a simple housewife and a third one was one of the first American women who has flight a plane! All three were from the same generation). That was in Western tradition (all western countries) to repeat names to honorate a relative (French are renowned by that). It's only that nowadays, traditions are not in fashion at all, and people doesn't tends to christen their children with names that are in their families for centuries but with ones took from movies, rock stars and actors...Happily , some royals follows the old tradition and names their children with the names of their relatives. (Other royals are lacking this tradition...what a pity).

Western traditions has a lot of similarities. One of them is to repeat names. But since our new generations doesn't knows a bit what the traditions of their ancestors were, they believes these traditions never existed...What a GREAT pity. What a world!

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
Well in fact your culture DID repeated names. For example, you have a George Bush and a George Bush Jr., the current United States President. I studied some American Genealogy and I find a lot of names repeated in families (for example, you will find a lot of Laura Ingalls in a same family. One of them was the famous writer, but other was a simple housewife and a third one was one of the first American women who has flight a plane! All three were from the same generation). That was in Western tradition (all western countries) to repeat names to honorate a relative (French are renowned by that). It's only that nowadays, traditions are not in fashion at all, and people doesn't tends to christen their children with names that are in their families for centuries but with ones took from movies, rock stars and actors...Happily , some royals follows the old tradition and names their children with the names of their relatives. (Other royals are lacking this tradition...what a pity).

Western traditions has a lot of similarities. One of them is to repeat names. But since our new generations doesn't knows a bit what the traditions of their ancestors were, they believes these traditions never existed...What a GREAT pity. What a world!

Vanesa.

I'm actually Hindu, sorry for not clarifying. I consider that to be my primary (religious) culture.

planetcher said:
If they didn't name her Sofia the press will criticize Letizia for not naming her after the Queen. They didn't like the name Leonor, so of course they blamed Letizia and said that it was her idea.

I don't think anyone expected Letizia to call her second girl Sofia, most thought it would be a unique name, like Leonor.

However I think it was very nice of Letizia and Felipe to call their daughter after the Queen, :)

planetcher said:
If they didn't name her Sofia the press will criticize Letizia for not naming her after the Queen. They didn't like the name Leonor, so of course they blamed Letizia and said that it was her idea.

That's so weired. I personally thought Leonor was a very good choice, mainly because it's special. Don't think it's a popular name and I bet there are not too many Leonors around in Spain.

For that reason I did not favour Sofia.

Guess she can't get it right. On the one hand the press was pleased that they chose the queen's name (and stressed that it was mainly Letizia's choice) but on the other hand I read somewhere that Letizia chose the name to curry favour with the queen (I admit it was Yellow Press but nevertheless in the papers).

I wonder if they read or discuss what the papers write about them. Must be very frustrating from time to time.

Last edited:
I think some spanish people give the same name of parents to their child ! I heard many times "stars" giving the same name as the father or the mother of the child (Laura girl of Laura Ponte.
In the case of Sofia it's only her grandma's name and that doesn't matter they have the same name !
I don't think there isn't trouble for the little girl growing up and makes her oxn personality. She will not be the only llittle girl having the same name than her grand'ma.
More, the name doesn't make the personality ! I'm a teacher and I've got pupils very differents wearing the same name ! I think it's false to say that names influe the personality of a child (except if it's a very strange name, difficult to wear !).

Duke of Marmalade said:
That's so weired. I personally thought Leonor was a very good choice, not only because it's a nice name but also because it's special. Don't think it's a popular name and I bet there are not too many Leonors around in Spain.

Guess she can't get it right. One the one hand the press was pleased that they chose the queen's name (and stressed that it was mainly Letizia's choice) but on the other hand I read somewhere that Letizia chose the name to curry favour with the queen (I admit it was Yellow Press but nevertheless in the papers).

I wonder if they read or discuss what the papers write about them. Must be very frustrating from time to time.

I have a spanish friend. He also says that Leonor isn't a good name for princess...

Duke of Marmalade said:
That's so weired. I personally thought Leonor was a very good choice, not only because it's a nice name but also because it's special. Don't think it's a popular name and I bet there are not too many Leonors around in Spain.

Guess she can't get it right. One the one hand the press was pleased that they chose the queen's name (and stressed that it was mainly Letizia's choice) but on the other hand I read somewhere that Letizia chose the name to curry favour with the queen (I admit it was Yellow Press but nevertheless in the papers).

Leonor is a very beautiful name.
Refined sound, heard the Queen Sofia pronouncing the name Leonor in the video just after her first visit to Letizia and her new born, speaking about the looking of the baby girl.
Refined historical landscape, famous women in the European Realty during the Middle Age, Queen of Navarre, Princess of Austria and so on.
The fact that the name is no very frequent is for me a good point more. I'm sorry for the Jennifer, Vanessa and others Priscilla, charming name but whithout this touch of historic meaning which make a name more delightfull than an other
For Sofia, I'm very found of because this name is very precious. It's an universal and intemporal name which meaning the essential of the world since it is abble to communicate its thaught: the wisdom - I'm not sure it's the good translation of the old greek word sofia-
I can't beleive that the Queen could be impressed by the fact that Letizia had chooze her name to have her favour. It's so ridiculous because the people who think that seem to consider that the Queen and the Princess are totaly superficial and without any intelligency.
Why don't accept the simple fact that it's a beautiful name - absolutly right - and it's to pay hommage to Queen - for the Princes together- What Letizia could hope more from the Queen than she has yet?...:queen2:

How do you pronounce Leonor? On Wikipedia it says that it is the Spanish version of Eleanor (kind of like Sofia is the Spanish version of Sophie), but I don't know how to pronounce it.

Alamak said:
I have a spanish friend. He also says that Leonor isn't a good name for princess...

I don't understand why. I think Leonor sounds very royal and is very pretty. It's perfect for a princess :wub:

Alamak said:
Ingrid Alexandra's from norway...

Of course...I imagine you noticed I write "Sweden" by mistake. I know perfectly that Princess Alexandra is from Norway.

Vanesa.

acdc1 said:
How do you pronounce Leonor? On Wikipedia it says that it is the Spanish version of Eleanor (kind of like Sofia is the Spanish version of Sophie), but I don't know how to pronounce it.

It's pronounced Lay-o-nor (nor rhymes with door). Leonor is from the name Eleanor, and Eleonor is also used in Spanish, although that is pronounced A-lay-o-nor.

I think it's much prettier than the English pronounciation of that, Lenore (La-nor). It's really grown on me, and it fits her so well!

Leonor really is a beautiful name, and I think that it fits our beautiful girl!

IMO Leonor is a Queen's name, very regal and it is beautiful for the heiress to the spanish throne. And Sofia :wub: no words.. I love that name If I have a daughter in the future I'll name her Sofia!

Actually...I don't like the name "Leonor", for me, it's an old fashion name, just for an old person...:ermm:

Last edited:
ahtikavalentine said:
Actually...I don't like the name "Leonor", for me, it's an old fashion name, just for an old person...:ermm:

I hope you remember this comment when you are 'old', like your grandmother. Leonor is a beautiful name that suits the little princess very well. :flowers: (IMO)

Leonor is a name of queens. I think it's a beautiful regal medieval name. She will be queen one day if she has no brother, and I think that's why they gave her a name of a Spanish queen.

I think that Felipe and Letizia did a fantastic job in naming their daughters. Both names are elegant, regal, and have history. Two beautiful names for two beautiful girls.

In Brazil we used to say that some names are not for kids but for adults. But the kids will grow and become adults so chosing a name just because it's cute for a kid it's not right for me. I'm not too fond of the name Leonor but I think it's very appropriate for a girl who maybe become the queen one day.

cristine said:
In Brazil we used to say that some names are not for kids but for adults. But the kids will grow and become adults so chosing a name just because it's cute for a kid it's not right for me. I'm not too fond of the name Leonor but I think it's very appropriate for a girl who maybe become the queen one day.

Funny thaught but totally right!:flowers: nevertheless Leonor is too kind for a little girl also!

Last edited:
In Germany the name Leonor was not well received (by the Yellow Press) as it sounds similar to the very popular fabric softener LENOR.

I remember some uncomprehending remarks :)

Duke of Marmalade said:
In Germany the name Leonor was not well received (by the Yellow Press) as it sounds similar to the very popular fabric softener LENOR.

I remember some uncomprehending remarks :)

That's funny, :)
It also shows how the news we read in here are viewed so diferently in the countries we are in. Thanks for sharing that comment.

Toledo said:
That's funny, :)
It also shows how the news we read in here are viewed so diferently in the countries we are in. Thanks for sharing that comment.

:flowers: You are very welcome Toledo. I bet Lenor is not being sold Spain!

Ithink the reason they are just compling with the one name rule- it was a law passes a couple of years back. The older cousins have multi names but Irene and the babies and any future sibs have only one.
Wittykitty:neutral:

Leonor is a beautiful name .. sounds so romantic and regal.. almost like a name out of a fairytale..

Leonor is a perfect name for a Royal. It was beared for several Queens, Princesses and so on in MIddle Age, as it was told here some post before mine. The same for the name Sofía. I'm happy with the two choices the Princely Family did.

Vanesa.

Really i like the two names.. Leonor and Sofía.. are beautiful names!

wittykitty said:
Ithink the reason they are just compling with the one name rule- it was a law passes a couple of years back. The older cousins have multi names but Irene and the babies and any future sibs have only one.
Wittykitty:neutral:

I've always wondered why Froilan, Victoria, Juan and Pablo had multiple names, but Miguel, Irene, Leonor and Sofia only have one. I mean, there is 'de Todos los Santos' but I don't think that counts as a NAME, but more a Borbon tradition. I thought it was a little strange considering Cristina and Felipe (not Elena, since both of her children have more than one name) have multiple names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom