HGD Guillaume, Current Events 10: November 2008 - May 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they are British royalty, I would think most royalty could come to the United States without being recognized by the American public. I've seen many many pictures of various royalty but probably would not recognize them unless I saw their picture every day or saw them on tv on a regular basis.

Unless they follow all of Europe's Royal Families closely- they would most likely not recognize them at all. The BRF would definitely be recognizable.

Since Guillame is taking a more active role now, is he based in Luxembourg?

Since Guillame is taking a more active role now, is he based in Luxembourg?

That is what Henri seemed to imply in his interview just a few days ago. He stated that Guillaume is in Luxembourg by his side.

That newspaper photo posted earlier looks photoshopped to me. Look closely.

Which link?
the one with the spy line on it, I think.
It does look like it could be and yet it could be because he's closest to the flash and in a lot lighter colored clothes than the others. It's hard to say.

I know we all wanted to read Guillaume interview, so here we go :flowers:

Interview with H.R.H. Crown Prince Guillaume, Honorary President of the Luxembourg Board of Economic Development

The US Remains the Most Important Trading Partner
The H.R.H. Crown Prince has been traveling regularly to the US since his childhood. He particularly admires the American people for their spontaneity, openness, and straightforward demeanor.

Your Royal Highness, 65 years after the end of World War II, a major worldwide change has taken place from an economic perspective, which is giving rise to new trends. What is the significance of this radically altered global environment for Luxembourg-American economic relations?

The US remains Luxembourg’s most important trading partner outside of the European Union. Now as before, most direct investment in Luxembourg comes from the US, which in turn is also the preferred destination for direct investments from Luxembourgian companies. What is increasingly connecting our two countries is our shared economic challenge of asserting ourselves in the global economy with creative and innovative ideas and concepts. Moreover, numerous US companies have long recognized that Luxembourg is a superb gateway to the internal EU market.

What active role does the Board of Economic Development, which you head, play in furthering economic ties between the US and Luxembourg?

The BED is a committee where actors from the public and private sector discuss their shared concerns regarding economic development. The executive secretary of the BED and the nine Luxembourg Trade and Investment Offices are under the Ministry of Economic Affairs. For the meantime, only the brand ‘Luxembourg for Business’ will be used, in the interests of a unified presence in the outside world. We have two Trade and Investment Offices in the US: one in New York and one in San Francisco. These offices actively seek out local companies with an interest in European markets, in order to highlight Luxembourg’ benefits. In addition to this, they also help Luxembourgian companies get a foothold in the US.

What arguments do you use to try to convince investors to choose Luxemburg when you are on promotional trips in the US?

In Luxembourg today, we can hardly solicit for aid anymore. The arguments have become much more nuanced and are often based on so-called ‘soft’ criteria. The Grand Duchy mostly wins people over with its geographic location and its multilingualism. Naturally, our infrastructure and our legal system are also major factors in our success. Aside from those, our high standard of living is important, to attract managers and their families, and their companies along with them, which build new workplaces. However, it is also true that it takes a great deal of effort to convince a company’s directors to settle in Luxembourg.

In the past, it was mainly American industrialists and investors who came to Luxembourg, so there has been an accelerated shift to other sectors recently. In which areas, generally speaking, is further expansion and cooperation possible?

It is getting noticeably more difficult to attract industrial companies to Luxembourg or Western Europe. We also need to focus on sectors with high added value, for which the EU remains attractive. Luxembourg has very strong arguments in its favor for some promising sectors. In the ICT and e-commerce sectors, some large US companies, as well as some smaller ones, have established themselves in our country. We enjoy close collaborations between American and Luxembourgian scientists in the field of medical technology. This kind of collaborative relationship seems entirely plausible in the area of environmental technology as well. We should bear in mind however, that companies from these sectors do not create hundreds of new workplaces overnight. In any case, we need to get closer “to the client”.

What are your personal ties to the United States, and what impresses you the most when you travel there?

I have been traveling to the States in a personal context since I was a child, especially since I had family living and studying there. I feel very much at ease in the US: privately, but also in touch with the business community. I particularly admire the American people for their spontaneity, openness, and straightforward demeanor. Their often quite distinctive spirit of entrepreneurship is certainly the source of their innovative power.

In your view what is the significance of the Luxembourg American Business Award, which you will present in New York on October 20th?

Getting new companies to settle in Luxembourg is absolutely vital. Nevertheless, we should not lose sight of the fact that the companies that are already established here are playing a supporting role in Luxembourg’s economic development. The Business Award bestows a distinction upon a North American company that has played an important role in Luxembourg in the past, and which will assuredly continue to do so in the future. The ceremony serves to reinforce the amicable ties between Luxembourg and the upper management of key US companies. In this way, the Grand Duchy can make itself a personal reference point on the world map for American companies.

:blush::clap::graduate:

I would love to read something like "I'm single, looking for a girl, love this and that" :devil: anyway was happy to find it and share with u :flowers:

^ Thanks sooo much for the interview! Guillaume is very well spoken. I love when we have any news about this family. :flowers:

THANK YOU for the interview!!! I enjoyed reading it! Guillaume is a very well spoken man! Wish he and his family come to the US more often.

U are very much welcome!
I was so so so happy to finally find interview G did (2 int per one week! not bad huh? ;) + new pics from NY event later=is it Xmas already :D

Really? He looks so red and bloated. :D
Don´t kill me now!

But I must say, he is one of the few good looking young Royals in Europe!

Really? He looks so red and bloated. :D
Don´t kill me now!

But I must say, he is one of the few good looking young Royals in Europe!

He looked thin and short in person. My personal experience was was not entirely pleasant despite his mostly professional performance.

Some people guess he is very shy towards women? Is this true?

Um, no. He was equally comfortable with men and women. Certainly more comfortable with some of the young women than the businessmen.

Some people guess he is very shy towards women? Is this true?

Probably just more private than some people (especially Americans... who tend to be a bit more...open shall we say?) which I would think would lead a lot of people to simply assume he's shy.

Americans in general are at lot more open about their families, their personal life and their jobs, etc. Europeans as a whole don't open up as much until you get to know them (they then may tell you things about their families, etc). At least this has been my experience with people from Europe.

Royalty in general are not open about their family or private life and for good reason. If it's something that they want the public to know, then it's known. I would be very surprised if someone who was royal would open up to a regular person or someone who is from a lower social standing than themselves. That's normally not done.

Americans in general are at lot more open about their families, their personal life and their jobs, etc. Europeans as a whole don't open up as much until you get to know them (they then may tell you things about their families, etc). At least this has been my experience with people from Europe.

Royalty in general are not open about their family or private life and for good reason. If it's something that they want the public to know, then it's known. I would be very surprised if someone who was royal would open up to a regular person or someone who is from a lower social standing than themselves. That's normally not done.

How do you get to know someone without knowing about their family, personal life and job? If you don't know these things then you don't actually know a person. They are merely used to your presence, which does not mean that you are friends. All of my European friends are warm and open and never held back with anything.

I doubt if many guests would have had the audacity to ask Guillaume about his private life.

I think most people would be surprised to learn that many of the friends of the family are regular people from lower social classes. They don't seem to have common-folk phobia.

I read your blog and was quite suprised, how rude he was to you. :ermm:

I wrote a really extensive blog entry on my experience. I don't want to write it again.

That's disappointing. Try not to take one encounter though to heart- there could be many things that were going on and one encounter isn't really a good representation of a person's character.

That said- we will also most likely never know what they are really like in person and this just serves to remind us that what we see in the press and what a celebrity is really like in person usually aren't the same.

I'm sorry your trip was so disappointing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom