Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Current Events 8: June 2018 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GD Henri in Potsdam, Germany today for the first day of the annual informal meeting of the heads of state of the German-speaking countries

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...ent-frankwalter-welcomes-picture-id1233699998

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/12172765

I feel rather sorry for Henri; his wife doesn't even accompany to a meeting with fellow heads of states (or their stand-ins)...

She is learning: put a 'sheet' up as background so people don't see that you are not in Luxembourg...

She's not exactlly welcome in Lux, is she? So she's probalby happier living outside it....

I feel rather sorry for Henri; his wife doesn't even accompany to a meeting with fellow heads of states (or their stand-ins)...

I also don't understand why Maria Teresa didn't go to the meeting. Mathilde and Sophie accompanied their husbands.

She's not exactlly welcome in Lux, is she? So she's probalby happier living outside it....

She made it indeed rather difficult for herself; but joining her husband in Potsdam (Germany) shouldn't be a problem.

I also don't understand why Maria Teresa didn't go to the meeting. Mathilde and Sophie accompanied their husbands.

It's a regular meeting. In the past Maria Teresa did join Henri.

Possibly the Lux population dont like her doing anything much, and she does not want to either...

I also don't understand why Maria Teresa did not attend the meeting in Potsdam. Since everyone except for the German president had to travel there too, she could have done so as well. She would not have had a much longer trip from Biarritz than some of the others.

I don't think it's great for Henri to attend there alone, when all the other spouses are there, and with no good reason (such as illness), but the reason being that his wife has moved to Biarritz and can't be bothered to travel to Germany to attend. Yes, that won't be what they said, but everyone will know anyhow? :ermm:

Missing her National Day and now this Event with Spouses may me think that the does not have the behaviour of a Royal Consort anymore.

She has been - well pushed out of the role of royal consort to a great degree, and it seems now like she wants to spend her time in Biarritz -. I wonder if Henir thinks of abdicating and moving away with her.

Grand Duke Henri on day 2 of the meeting of the Heads of State of the German-speaking countries at a meeting at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research today, June 29:

** Pic **

I think MT is still stung by the very public rebuke after the Government probe and report which concluded that she had overstepped her authority, and had abused and mismanaged staff.

She really resents not having the ability to hire and fire staff at will and not having her own website.

This non appearance at Henri's side might be her way of retaliating. Her pride is wounded.

It's very disappointing behavior, but it isn't surprising.

Last edited:
Her pride is definitely wounded. But do we know for sure that it's her own decision to step aside from her representative duties, or has the government decided that after the Waringo report, she'd not be a good representation of the couuntry?

But if so, neither side is likely to say anything...

I suspect its both, the govt does not want her to be doing anything as a consort, and she is angry and upset and does not want to exert herself when she has been criticized and made to step back.

Her pride is definitely wounded. But do we know for sure that it's her own decision to step aside from her representative duties, or has the government decided that after the Waringo report, she'd not be a good representation of the couuntry?

But if so, neither side is likely to say anything...

I suspect its both, the govt does not want her to be doing anything as a consort, and she is angry and upset and does not want to exert herself when she has been criticized and made to step back.

The question in my mind is that if MT is bitter and her ego is wounded, how long will the current arrangement continue, before she encourages Henri to abdicate?

I also don't understand why Maria Teresa did not attend the meeting in Potsdam. Since everyone except for the German president had to travel there too, she could have done so as well. She would not have had a much longer trip from Biarritz than some of the others.

I don't think it's great for Henri to attend alone, when all the other spouses are there, and with no good reason (such as illness), but the reason being that his wife has moved to Biarritz and can't be bothered to travel to Germany to attend. Yes, that won't be what they said, but everyone will know anyhow?
Maria Teresa rarely accompanies Henri to this annual event for German-speaking heads of state, even before she bought a home in Biarritz. I don't like it either. Here is her track record:

2021 Germany........MT does not attend
2019 Austria...........MT does not attend
2018 Switzerland....MT attends (family lives there)
2017 Luxembourg...MT attends (host country)
2016 Belgium.........MT does not attend
2015 Liechtenstein..MT does not attend
2014 Germany........MT does not attend because of knee surgery

Last edited:
Maria Teresa rarely accompanies Henri to this annual event for German-speaking heads of state, even before she bought a home in Biarritz. I don't like it either. Here is her track record:

2021 Germany........MT does not attend
2019 Austria...........MT does not attend
2018 Switzerland....MT attends (family lives there)
2017 Luxembourg...MT attends (host country)
2016 Belgium.........MT does not attend
2015 Liechtenstein..MT does not attend
2014 Germany........MT does not attend because of knee surgery

Peculiar woman indeed....I often think JC was right after all....

I understand about the government but how do the Lux people feel about her? And I do wonder if there are issues between MT and Henri?

I understand about the government but how do the Lux people feel about her? And I do wonder if there are issues between MT and Henri?
I'd imagine that if the reports of bullying and harsh treatment staff are true, and I expect they are.. she's not likely to be well liked in Lux now. I think that she' has also been rather reluctant to spend much time in the country - and that may have affected her popularity.....

I don't believe there are any issues at all in the marriage between Henri and MT. He seems devoted to her as always.

He has always given me the impression of being under his wife's thumb, as unkind as it sounds.

The question in my mind is that if MT is bitter and her ego is wounded, how long will the current arrangement continue, before she encourages Henri to abdicate?
She said something along the lines of Henri still having some work to do back in Luxembourg for a couple more years. So, I do expect an abdication within 5 years time.

Based on the timing of the previous abdications I made a more precise prediction but would need to look that up.

Edit: Found it.
In one of her interviews she was already anticipating that in a few years they might move permanently to Biarritz but (you could almost hear an 'unfortunately') at the moment Henri still had duties in Luxembourg as Grand Duke.

Ages at previous abdications (and the ages of the new GD) - not counting Marie-Adelaïdes as that was due to political reasons:
Charlotte: 68 (Jean: 43)
Jean: 79 (Henri: 45)

Currently:
Henri: 65 (Guillaume: 39)
So, while Charlotte's reign started much earlier, Henri can refer to his grandmother if he decides to abdicate when in his late 60's/in about 3 years - and also reference giving Guillaume the opportunity to start his reign while in his early/mid-forties; just like his father and grandfather before him.

Thinking about it; a relevant point of reference would also be the length of the reign:
Charlotte: 45 years
Jean: 35 years (close to 36)

So, maybe Henri is aiming for 25? In that case, he could abdicate in 2025, so 4 years from now. Guillaume will be 43 or 44 - so very much in line with his father and grandfather in terms of age upon ascending the throne. And Henri would be 70, so seems acceptable. By that time Charles will at least be in school...

Last edited:
:previous: I do hope that Guillaume and Stephanie and Charles are able to enjoy a few more idyllic years at Fischbach, especially if they intend to have another child soon.They seem so happy now.

They only moved there two years ago.

So, maybe Henri is aiming for 25? In that case, he could abdicate in 2025, so 4 years from now. Guillaume will be 43 or 44 - so very much in line with his father and grandfather in terms of age upon ascending the throne. And Henri would be 70, so seems acceptable. By that time Charles will at least be in school...

Very well laid out, that timeline seems entirely plausible.

On 27 june , 4 days after the National Day , the Prime Minister Xavier Bettel got the Covid after receiving one vaccine.
He went also in Brussels were he met the 27 Head of States and attend an important Feast in Luxembourg !

On 27 june , 4 days after the National Day , the Prime Minister Xavier Bettel got the Covid after receiving one vaccine.
He went also in Brussels were he met the 27 Head of States and attend an important Feast in Luxembourg !

Oh dear! Hope he recovers soon.

:previous: I do hope that Guillaume and Stephanie and Charles are able to enjoy a few more idyllic years at Fischbach, especially if they intend to have another child soon. They seem so happy now.

They only moved there two years ago.

French-Luxembourgish journalist and royal supporter Stephane Bern said last year that he thought Grand Duke Henri would not abdicate until he turned 70 years old in 2025.

Last edited:
I don't believe there are any issues at all in the marriage between Henri and MT. He seems devoted to her as always.

He has always given me the impression of being under his wife's thumb, as unkind as it sounds.

I thought that he had been off with other women for a time, albeit he remained in love with his wife.. I think that really leaving MT to live away from him, like this, when he has an adult heir, isn't good. he could abdicate.. move away to be with his wife and return to Lux at times...

On July 5 Grand Duchess Maria Teresa attended a dinner as part of the Rencontres Arles that offered an exchange "with the important personalities of the world of photography and to discuss the role of women in this environment":

** Pic ** instagram gallery **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom