Godparents for Viscount Severn

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will be chosen as Godparents for the Viscount Severn?

• Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Prince William of Wales

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • Prince Harry of Wales

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Prince Andrew, The Duke of York

• Princess Beatrice of York

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • Princess Eugenie of York

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Princess Anne, The Princess Royal

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Master Peter Phillips

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Miss Zara Phillips

• Viscount or Viscountess Linley

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • One of the Kents

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • One of the Gloucesters

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Other member of the extended British Royal Family (please, specify)

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Member(s) of the Greek Royal Family (Prince Philip's relatives)

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Family member of the Countess of Wessex

Votes: 71 56.8%
  • A friend of the Earl or Countess of Wessex

Votes: 60 48.0%
  • Member(s) of a Foreign Royal Family

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • Other (please, specify)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Louise's godparents are: Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Alexandra Etherington, Francesca Schwarzenbach, Lord Ivar Mountbatten, and Rupert Elliot.

So three of them are relatives, and two are friends of the parents; and there are three godmothers and two godfathers

Jeez...I'm used to their only being two in the US. Is that normal in Europe or just a royalty thing?

Personal I would not expect Camilla or any of the younger royals. Judging from Louise's choice this will be totally a private choice of close friends.

I certainly expect David Rhys-Jones and maybe Princess Anne.
Lord or Lady Dalmeny (close friends)
Lady Ivar Mountbatten (Ivar is Edward's best friend and Edward and Sophie are godparents of all their kids)
Abel or Belinda Hadden (friends)
Sarah Warburton (former Personal secretary)
Sophie's cousin don't know her name?
Viscount Fitz-Harris (current personal secretary)

Of all the foreign royals Edward and Sophie are only close to Prince Joachim, prince Frederick, Prince Williem - Alexander, Princess Martha-Louise and Prince Haakon. So it would probably be among them if they decide to go this route. But I doubt that.

^ Maybe they would choose a royal godparent(s) for James because he is the heir, and heirs frequently have more ranking godparents than the others. I recall reading that Diana Spencer's parents chose second-rate godparents for her, but for Charles Spencer, The Queen. Then again, the Spencers were always much more rank-and-status conscious than Edward or Sophie, neither of whom seem to put much stock in those concerns. So who knows.... we wait and see, I suppose. :flowers:

They may not put much thought into rank since neither of their kids is getting the HRH treatment, although they do have titles unlike Anne's children. So there may be a slight difference.

Titles flow from the father. Mark Phillips had no title so there was nothing to pass to Peter and Zara. Edward was born with a title, and acquired others later.

i think that either beatrice or eugenie will be godparents because they seem really close to the countess
my guess is that they will have one friend of the earl, one friend of the countess, someone who works with them, one senior royal and one distant relative

I think the Wessexes are going to choose from several branches of the family.Camilla,one of the Phillipses,one of the Chattos or Linleys,William,Anne or her husband, one of the Yorks,and one of Sophie's family.

Are any of Edward's nieces of nephews His godchildren? Perhaps he'd go that route: his child will have a godparent that he himself is godparent of. Sort of like the way Prince Charles is w members of the Greek RF.

My bank is on the following people:
1) At least 1 senior Royal (Anne, Camilla, Peter or Zara)
2) A Greek Royal (Philip's relatives)
3) A member of the extended Royal Family (Chattos, Linleys or Lascelleses)
4) A member of Sophie's family
5) A personal friend of both Edward & Shophie

If the are going to choose a foreign Royal (apart from the Greek ones), it is going to be Prince Joachim.

James Ogilvy (part of the class of 64)
Prince Joachim of Denmark
David Rhys Jones
Princess Anne
2 females friends of Edward & Sophie

I'm hoping that Princess Anne will be. It would be a nice gesture since she has never been a godmother to any of her other brothers children. For sure Sophie's brother I would think.Prince Joachim would be nice. It seem like he is a good friend of the Wessex's. As for another godmother I just don't know. Maybe a friend of Sophie.

Prince William and family members and friends of the Earl, Countess of Wessex.

Is there any news on when James' christening will be? If we go on when Louise's was, we'll get a May baptism. But Louise was premature and Sophie probably needed some time to recover, so it's natural her baptism was six months after her birth. James, however, seems to be pretty healthy and Sophie didn't have any complications that we know of.

As for Louise there were people in similar age than parents than now I think that for godparents will be choose members of the younger generation.
I can't choose between:
men: Harry, Will, Peter
woman - Zara.

I wouldn't be surprise if one of the little godparent will be one of their close-friend again.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't easter weekend at windsor

I don't know. Only the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and Lady Sarah Chatto attended Louise's christening. I know ever one is saying that there will be more important godparents and events surrounding James' , but lets face it considering that they must have really thought that Louise would be their only child they would have pulled out all the stops for her.
Edward and Sophie don't like making a fuss. So I'm not certain of that.

To add my two cents, I think they will chose whoever they are considered close relatives & friends with. I don't remember who they chose for Lady Louise, so that might be a hint on who might be asked. It will be interesting to hear who they choose.

Other options might be...one of Edward's German cousins...
Prince Philipp zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg and his sister Princess Xenia attended the wedding of Edward and Sophie but the extent of the relationship between the immediate BRF and their Baden, Hesse and H-L relatives is not public knowledge.

Can't wait to see how much Lady Louise has grown, I havn't seen a picture of her in forever.

Will there be an announcement of the godparents before the christening started?

I'm trying to find out more about each godparent.
I know Duncan Bullivant, old friend of Edward's from Gordonstoun.
I'm still undecided if the Alastair Bruce is the SKY royal correspondent.

I'm surprised they did not choose anyone from either family.

I really expected the Princess Royal and David Rhys-Jones to be included.

Yes, I believe Alastair Bruce is the Sky correspondent. Extremely nice and jovial chap! I met him 3 years ago when he came to a nearby festival as a luncheon speaker...Paul Burrell wanted 3 times the speaking price of Alastair Bruce, f.y.i.

Ms. Irwin is from my hometown here in Texas. She was a former flatmate of Sophie's and I believe she had an antiques store in London. Her stepmother used to be a Miss Texas back in the 1960's. Her father is massively wealthy and they all attended the wedding in 1999..

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised about Paul Burrell???

I must say the list of god-parents is completely unexpected! I would have thought that future Duke of Edinburg (way down the line) would have had some Royal god-parents--maybe Edward and Sophie already felt that having an Uncle who would be king, a cousin who would be king, and various aunts/uncles etc....was Royal enough and they wanted to honor their friends. Still, it is a bit of a break in tradition.

I was quite surprsied also by the lack of royal titles among the godparents, but considering how very flattering and gracious Alastair Bruce is to the Royal Family and the British Aristocracy and how extremely well connected to the Texas social scene (and the multitude of a lifetime of investment opportunities) Miss Irwin is, I believe baby James will not lack for anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom