The new order of precedence

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zach_1995

City
Brisbane
Country
Australia
With the passing of HM Queen Elizabeth II, there is a new order of precedence in the British Royal Family. Note that the order of precedence is different from the line of succession - I've been trying to find if it has been officially published anywhere, but haven't had any luck. I've attached what I anticipate will be the new OoP (I've been a bit indulgent, and based this on the assumption that HM the King will grant the title 'Duke of Edinburgh' to his brother HRH The Earl of Wessex and Forfar, and I've used the legal titles for Archie, Lilibet and Viscount Severn). I was wondering if anyone has any info (and if anyone could check that I haven't made any mistakes below!).

Gentlemen

1) HM the King
2) HRH the Prince of Wales
3) HRH the Duke of Sussex
4) HRH the Duke of York
5) HRH the Duke of Edinburgh
6) HRH Prince George of Wales
7) HRH Prince Louis of Wales
8) HRH Prince Archie of Sussex
9) HRH Prince James of Edinburgh
10) Mr Peter Phillips
11) The Rt Hon Earl of Snowdon
12) HRH the Duke of Gloucester
13) HRH the Duke of Kent
14) HRH Prince Michael of Kent

Ladies

1) HM the Queen
2) HRH the Princess of Wales
3) HRH the Duchess of Sussex
4) HRH the Duchess of Edinburgh
5) HRH the Princess Royal
6) HRH Princess Charlotte of Wales
7) HRH Princess Lilibet of Sussex
8) HRH Princess Beatrice, Mrs Mapelli Mozzi
9) HRH Princess Eugenie, Mrs Brooksbank
10) HRH Princess Louise of Edinburgh
11) Zara Tindall
12) The Rt Hon Countess of Snowdon (separated)
13) The Lady Sarah Chatto
14) HRH the Duchess of Gloucester
15) HRH the Duchess of Kent
16) HRH Princess Michael of Kent
17) HRH Princess Alexandra, The Hon Lady Ogilvy

Last edited:
I hope King Charles will do it without such an extensive order of precedence and let it all go spontaneously, like in other monarchies. And with spontaneously it means that royals automatically make way for a person closer to the King (the Princess of Wales) or out of courtesy make way for a senior aged princess of the blood royal, like Princess Alexandra. We see in other monarchies that it works, leaving it to an unwritten and natural feel for politesse, courtesy, anciennity.

Last edited:
With the passing of HM Queen Elizabeth II, there is a new order of precedence in the British Royal Family. Note that the order of precedence is different from the line of succession - I've been trying to find if it has been officially published anywhere, but haven't had any luck. I've attached what I anticipate will be the new OoP (I've been a bit indulgent, and based this on the assumption that HM the King will grant the title 'Duke of Edinburgh' to his brother HRH The Earl of Wessex and Forfar, and I've used the legal titles for Archie, Lilibet and Viscount Severn). I was wondering if anyone has any info (and if anyone could check that I haven't made any mistakes below!).

<snip>
In general, minors are not accorded precedence in their own right so the Cambridge and Sussex kids would not be on a formal list.

Back
Top Bottom