Engagement of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Expressen, Victoria´s engagement ring was too big and now it is being fixed, that´s why Victoria didn´t wear it at the gala dinner and at the icehockey match yesterday. Daniel didn´t know the exact size of Victoria´s rings and the court jeweller Bohlin advised Daniel to buy the ring with estimation. Nina Eldh, Director of the Information and Press Department of the court, confirmed that the ring is being made smaller now.
Expressen/Victoria och Daniel - kärast på hovet

Have we heard of such a "ring-problem" from other engaged couples in the last years? After seven years he should have found a way to find out what her ring-size is....:cool:

I remember reading somewhere that ring might be the engagement ring of Princess Sibylla and used to belong to Silvia later. There was some story about Daniel possibly having the ring adjusted to fit Victoria but now I can't find the news story anywhere... :ermm: It was in one of the Swedish newspapers or royal magazines. Has anyone else heard about it?

Edit:I found this bit in German about the ring... http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2009/03/05/1073167.html If my German isn't too rusty, I believe this is the exact thing I read in Swedish earlier. Here's something in Swedish: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sofismode/mode/article4552077.ab

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that ring might be the engagement ring of Princess Sibylla and used to belong to Silvia later. There was some story about Daniel possibly having the ring adjusted to fit Victoria but now I can't find the news story anywhere... :ermm: It was in one of the Swedish newspapers or royal magazines. Has anyone else heard about it?

Edit: I could only find this bit in German about the ring... Rätsel um Victorias Ring If my German isn't too rusty, I believe this is the exact thing I read in Swedish earlier. I have no idea if it is true or not. Anyone fluent in German care to translate..?
Here is the article, you probably thought of
Kronprinsessan Victorias förlovningsring - samma som drottning Silvias? | Mode | Sofis Mode | Aftonbladet

As it seems Aftonbladet copied it from Svensk Damtidning, which had a similiar headline on the cover.

To be honest the story sounds like a load of **** to me. They stay quite vague and draw weird conclusions.
The ring is a "classic", and therefore it might have similiarities.
It would be too weird, if Daniel would choose her mother´s engagement ring.

Here is the article, you probably thought of
Kronprinsessan Victorias förlovningsring - samma som drottning Silvias? | Mode | Sofis Mode | Aftonbladet

As it seems Aftonbladet copied it from Svensk Damtidning, which had a similiar headline on the cover.

To be honest the story sounds like a load of **** to me. They stay quite vague and draw weird conclusions.
The ring is a "classic", and therefore it might have similiarities.
It would be too weird, if Daniel would choose her mother´s engagement ring.

I agree, it would be a bit weird and I expect Silvia is still wearing her engagement ring! I'm not sure but this might be a picture of Silvia's engagement ring (and some others):
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/9608/566506264re.jpg

It is such a simple looking ring that it is not a surprise that Victoria's ring might look similar. Classic, as you said but not very unique or distinguishable.

Absolutely, Lena.
I don't believe this is correct at all - it was confirmed before that the ring was bought by Westling at court jewelers Bolin.
It's Svensk Damtidning's (frequent...) fiction, which has only been picked up by a few other mags, because they usually copy from each other (and from the TRF).

Maybe there's a lovely tradition that the royal brides shall have simple solitaire rings, each resembling one from the previous generation? I couldn't find a good picture of Sibylla's engagement ring, but you can see it a little on this one: http://pro.corbis.com/images/HU034406.jpg?size=67&uid={7e1d5ec4-5b80-4414-b5f6-482cb112469b}

I believe the new ring would mean a lot to Victoria anyway since she got it from her fiancé. To have one modeled after the engagement rings of your grandmother and mother would also be a romantic gesture. So, I think it is a new one but maybe Daniel got a tip from the Queen about what Victoria might like... :)

It's not entirely unheard of for engagement rings to be family heirlooms. Camilla's ring once belonged to the Queen Mum, and didn't CPss Mette-Marie's engagement ring originally her mother-in=law's engagemtn ring?

That's different, it's not the ring from the brides family. Therefor the groom can give the ring. (Otherwise he still could, it would just be weird in my opinion.)

However, this discussion was started before and I don't want to start it again.

Josette

It's not entirely unheard of for engagement rings to be family heirlooms. Camilla's ring once belonged to the Queen Mum, and didn't CPss Mette-Marie's engagement ring originally her mother-in=law's engagemtn ring?

Yes but it was given by a Prince to his intended. It would be really wierd if Daniel gave Victoria a ring that was already an heirloom in HER family. Even if Daniel could not afford a suitable ring, I am sure the royals would have helped him out by buying a new ring, not recycling a ring-no matter the sentimental value of the jewellery.

According to Expressen, Victoria´s engagement ring was too big and now it is being fixed, that´s why Victoria didn´t wear it at the gala dinner and at the icehockey match yesterday. Daniel didn´t know the exact size of Victoria´s rings and the court jeweller Bohlin advised Daniel to buy the ring with estimation. Nina Eldh, Director of the Information and Press Department of the court, confirmed that the ring is being made smaller now.
Expressen/Victoria och Daniel - kärast på hovet

This makes no sense. Did Daniel give her the ring on the day of the official announcement of the engagement? :eek: If it was before, I am sure there was plenty of time to get it re-sized before being presented to the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
FINALLY! Good Lord, I feel like we've all been waiting forever for this joyous news. My heartfelt congrats to the couple and may they have many long and happy years together.

I'm not sure this is a new thing or has to do with the engagement but I decided to post it here. Svensk Damtidning as an article about "love jewelry" meaning pieces of jewelry that royals have given their significant others to signify their love.

Daniel överöser Victoria med kärlekssmycken - Svensk Damtidning

There's a bit about a pendant that Daniel gave Victoria which has entwined letter V and D. The letter V is encrusted with diamonds and the D is plain gold. A nice thought but I must apologize for my awful thoughts... It really is unfortunate that their initials happen to be V and D... :lol::blush: In case you're wondering why, Google 'vd'...

I'm not sure this is a new thing or has to do with the engagement but I decided to post it here. Svensk Damtidning as an article about "love jewelry" meaning pieces of jewelry that royals have given their significant others to signify their love.

Daniel överöser Victoria med kärlekssmycken - Svensk Damtidning

There's a bit about a pendant that Daniel gave Victoria which has entwined letter V and D. The letter V is encrusted with diamonds and the D is plain gold. A nice thought but I must apologize for my awful thoughts... It really is unfortunate that their initials happen to be V and D... :lol::blush: In case you're wondering why, Google 'vd'...
And that is bad because... Sorry, i'm missing your point here.

Congrats to the happy couple! They finally got engaged :flowers:

Congratulations to CP Victoria

mgrant is in the house! Hello everyone! I plan to be back on a more regular basis like old times:)

I've been waiting for this official announcement for some time. I'm a big fan of CP Victoria and I'm so happy for her it could be my own engagement:lol:. Congratulations to the happy couple!

This is the first time in months that I'm posting. I just read that Victoria is FINALLY engaged!!!!!!! Congratulations and it is about time!!

Queen Silvia commented the engagement when she and king Carl Gustaf visited Gästrikland:
Aftonbladet/Daniel är en väldigt trevlig man
The Queen said that this is a wonderful time, and of course it will be exciting next year also. She is very happy. Both Victoria and Daniel are happy and Daniel is a very nice man.

:ROFLMAO: I got it right. My guess as to the next royal getting engaged!!! Well, the very best wishes for both Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling. She looks on cloud 9 with happiness and he looks smart but smiling very nervously - a big task lies ahead. Huge congratulations to both!!!!! :swedenflag:

FINALLY! Good Lord, I feel like we've all been waiting forever for this joyous news. My heartfelt congrats to the couple and may they have many long and happy years together.

Hahaha. I could not visit here for months, and when I saw the news I was really amazed! I was just believing it should never happen! :ROFLMAO::bounce::princess3::fireworks:

Vanesa.

Well, the absence of Maxima´s parents at her engagement and wedding was of the well-known reasons (her fathers political involvement) so therefore I wouldn´t call it similar
I still find it strange that so far Daniel´s parents didn´t appear in public to at least take part at the engagement
Engagement announcements without any parents are not so rare (f.i. Märtha-Louise and Haakon in Norway) but later there were always official photoshoots with both parents which is still missing concerning Viktoria and Daniel

Well, couldn´t it be, that they are simply not as "hard-boiled" as Royals, who are for years in the business and who also keep an appearance in sad or worriful moments up?
The Westlings obviously underwent quite a stressful phase in the past months.
Donating an organ within a family is so much more than just two routine surgeries, so maybe they simply didn´t wanna add an other "factor of stress" to their lives by grinning into cameras and opening the doors for journalists.

I am though hoping, that they would appear more often in the future, as it would probably also give strength to their son and brother and is in a way also important for the Monarchy (some still remember Sven O., I guess. An extreme example of "what in-laws can do" )
And the wedding, they can´t avoid...so a little "media training" pre-hand might be helpful...

If Daniel would be part of the birthday show at Borgholm, it would be nice, if also his parents, sister and nieces would get invited...

actully i did not have in mind that daniels parents were not there but how it were set up, sitting by a table the king / Quenn said a few words, later Queen /prince talked and later on daniel/maxima were next and at the end crown princess/ crown prince said the last words....

Video from the engagement reception:
SVT Förlovningsmottagning

I read from a Finnish women's magazine article that Daniel, before they announced their engagement, held a speech in front of the government of Sweden. In the speech he spoke about his love for Victoria and how he sees his future as a prince. I read that it made many government members in tears.

Does anyone have more information about this? I'm not sure how trustable this story was in a Finnish magazine.

Here is an article at Svensk Damtidning, where Minister for International Development Cooperation, Gunilla Carlsson tells of Daniel´s speech:
Daniels hemliga kärlekstal till Victoria | Svensk Damtidning
Google Translate

Last edited by a moderator:
I read from a Finnish women's magazine article that Daniel, before they announced their engagement, held a speech in front of the government of Sweden. In the speech he spoke about his love for Victoria and how he sees his future as a prince. I read that it made many government members in tears.

Does anyone have more information about this? I'm not sure how trustable this story was in a Finnish magazine.

Daniel comes across as a very sensitive - and sensible- man!

I think he will do very well in his new role and I wish him continued good health for the future.

Victoria and Daniel tell about the proposal at the official wedding book "Vårt bröllop".
Daniel tells: Victoria had clearly told a few years before, that she didn´t want to be proposed abroad. She would like it to happen in Sweden and outdoors. I had clear directives on how it would go and then I had two options. There was a one place up in Ockelbo which we like very much, or at Drottningholm, along our favorite walk. And it was at Drottningholm it happened.
Victoria tells: It was a lovely winter day on our walk. Daniel said that he would like to read something. And then he read a wonderful speech that he had written about our time together, our experiences and what we like to do, special dates and events. There I sat. And then he went to on his knees in the snow and proposed. And I said yes, yes, yes.
Daniel had ordered the engagement ring from a jeweler abroad, to keep the engagement secret, but they had discussed about the ring before. Victoria had wanted a ring quite similar to her mother´s engagement ring. Victoria says: My mother got the ring of my grandmother, princess Sibylla when she became engaged to dad. Our rings remind eachother. I like the tradition and that the ring has connection to the past.

Back
Top Bottom