Dutch State Visit to Australia and New Zealand: October 31-November 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they were at the War Memorial. Very impressive, Poppy Day is approaching.

As far as the purchased beach and resort wear is concerned, perhaps they are going to stop off at a resort somewhere for a couple of days after the tour?

interesting addition, Curryong! thanks for mentioning. i guess it is quite possible. there's many nice (and private and secluded) beaches in that part of the world and i am sure they will need some respite following a grueling 10 day state visit across several time zones.

The Sydney Opera House is going to be lit up orange on the night of the concert that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima are hosting as a thankyou.

The Consulate-General of the Netherlands in Sydney has put a good photo of the orange Opera House on their facebook from last night's event.

(You don't have to be on facebook to see it - or the facebook photos posted by the Embassy of the Netherlands in Australia from the tour - these are open to anyone on the internet.)

Good footage on national TV this morning of the Royals, and our officials and Prime Minister and his wife, from last night too.

P.S. Thanks eya for the article of the little fan crying when our PM waved - not the only one feeling that way about Oz politics at the moment! :lol:

It's a Goldilock's day in Sydney today - not too hot/not too cold - for Willem-Alexander and Maxima's ferry trip on the Harbour across to Cockatoo Island.

And a very calm day - the flags on top of the Harbour Bridge are just hanging limp, no breeze, let alone wind.

I wonder if the Royal party are going on a ferry on their own - or, as the reports I've seen say it's a ferry, will they be on a regular service amongst the general public?

Cockatoo Island is under the Harbour Bridge on the more "working side" of the harbour.

Your photo of the orange Opera House is just stunning polyesco.

And the other photos you've posted of the Royals at Sydney's Government House from this morning - it's currently 11.25am, Thursday here, (we're on daylight savings time now) - make me think they may have been outside as a flotilla went passed.

A fire-boat spraying out water led in a grand tall ship, sails up, from the Chilean navy - along with a twenty-one gun salute from nearby Garden Island - and other Sydney based tall ships this morning.

And it was a very sedate, slow-moving affair due to the lack of wind. Hope they all got to have a look at the vessels, as they went passed Government House.

Last edited:

More pics from today, November 3, day 4:

** rd.nl gallery ** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

** robinutrecht.photoshelter gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Great photos iceflower, and so funny for me as I've sat where Willem-Alexander and Maxima are pictured many, many times over the years.

Luna Park, (our version of Coney Island/Tivoli Gardens), is just out of shot. The actual ferry stop is the more moden metalic structure behind them.

Really nice to see the Royal couple on just a regular ferry - even if just with the official party.

This is one of Sydney's smaller and older-style ferries that just service the area known as the Inner Harbour.

Looks as if the Dutch community had a really good chance to see the King and Queen.

Reactions: eya
Last edited:
Unlike other monarchs, the Dutch sovereigns don't seem to focus that much on economic /trade talks during their state visits. Why is that ?

Oh but there is a high pitched trade delegation following in their footsteps
and they landed contracts worth a 125 million euro's the past few days.

Indeed. The King opens doors for businesses and introduces captains of industry, says some nice words on innovation and cooperation but for the rest it are the businesspeople themselves who have to make the deals.

Very wise to remain on the outside line, a lesson learned from the unfortunate situation of his grandfather Prince Bernhard, with both elbows too deep in industry, trade and commerce.

Indeed. The King opens doors for businesses and introduces captains of industry, says some nice words on innovation and cooperation but for the rest it are the businesspeople themselves who have to make the deals.

Very wise to remain on the outside line, a lesson learned from the unfortunate situation of his grandfather Prince Bernhard, with both elbows too deep in industry, trade and commerce.

:previous::previous::previous:

With the then consecutive Governments consent that is!!But alas,that IS the past and has NO place here.

He took the bribes from Lockheed with the consent of the successive governments? That is news to me. It makes you wonder why they needed a comitte to investigate the prince in the first place.

He took the bribes from Lockheed with the consent of the successive governments? That is news to me. It makes you wonder why they needed a comitte to investigate the prince in the first place.

No no,his dealing et tout with countries and companies the world over was Always encouraged by the consecutive governments.Bribes,or couverts were common business then as it still is now.

Last edited:
First pics from the welcoming ceremony in Wellington, New Zealand

ANP Foto

It's a pity it was raining, nevertheless, the welcoming looked great!
Maxima looked stunning at the dinner.

The dutch royals manage what the british Royals these days in any of their "own" kingdoms constantly fail at: wearing properly jewels and (at least) mini-decorations for a highly official function!

Last edited:
Depends on the circumstances for the visit. When The Queen visited Canada in 2010 she wore lots of jewels including the Girls of Great Britain tiara at a State Dinner.

Depends on the circumstances for the visit. When The Queen visited Canada in 2010 she wore lots of jewels including the Girls of Great Britain tiara at a State Dinner.

I know. But some little more effort wouldn´t harm anyone - on the contrary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom