Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I extend my condolences to the royal family of the death of Prince Philip. 99 years old. He lived a long life.

I would understand if Zara chose not to attend, given her very recent delivery and newborn at home. However, she is will likely want to be there to support her grandmother.

I also would not be surprised if Autumn attended. My husband has a good relationship with his ex-wife, and our entire family attended her mother's funeral.

Even with restrictions going up to 30, it's going to be a very difficult task to decide who may attend. Something that many families have had to endure this past year.

There is enough space for all immediate famy and I am sure they are the priority

I hadn't read the full statement until just now in which BP asked mourners not to lay flowers, to offer condolences in the safest manner possible, etc. It suggests that donations be made to charity rather than flowers being left. Would it be inappropriate if we began a list here of the charities which the DoE might have considered most appropriate for the donations? For instance, I'm not certain which environmental charities he's most affiliated with, if the DoE Awards accepts monetary donations, etc.

It's going to be so tricky for the funeral. It's going to have to be very carefully organised so that it doesn't cause offence to the country, I couldn't attend my brother-in-law's funeral earlier in the year because of restrictions.

So whilst the number of people working at the funeral don't count toward the 30, I imagine we will perhaps see just the Archbishop of Canterbury officiating without the usual extra clergy. No choir I assume as singing is a no-no atm.
I expect military pallbearers, but not an overly large number of people around.

The Quire at St George's seats 52 - that's not going to allow 30 people to socially distance properly. I wonder if they'll host the whole funeral in the larger main body of the church to allow distancing (especially as it will presumably be filmed) rather than have some family in the Quire and some further back. 30 people is going to be very tight.

The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Anne, Tim, Peter, Zara, Mike, Andrew, Beatrice, Eduardo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise and James I think are the certain attendees.

That only leaves 11 spaces to be divided between the possibles; Harry, any of the great-grandchildren considered old enough, Earl Snowden, Sarah Chatto, Princess Alexandra, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester, the Mountbattens (I imagine if Pamela Hicks is well enough and not shielding she will be there). I think Penny Brabourne would have been an absolute certainty had it been a bigger event. Plus any of his nieces and nephews who live in the UK that he was close too.

Won't family members be able to sit together?

So, we would have 10 family units for the BRF:
1. The Queen (it would be wonderful if at least one of her children could some how form a bubble with her)

2. Charles & Camilla

3. Anne & Timothy

4. Andrew

5. Edward, Sophie, Louise & James

6. William & Catherine (& children)

7. Peter (& children)

8. Zara & Mike (& children)

9. Beatrice & Eduardo

10. Eugenie & Jack

Assuming Harry won't be back in time, I left him out as well.

Won't family members be able to sit together?

So, we would have 10 family units for the BRF:
1. The Queen (it would be wonderful if at least one of her children could some how form a bubble with her)

2. Charles & Camilla

3. Anne & Timothy

4. Andrew

5. Edward, Sophie, Louise & James

6. William & Catherine (& children)

7. Peter (& children)

8. Zara & Mike (& children)

9. Beatrice & Eduardo

10. Eugenie & Jack

Assuming Harry won't be back in time, I left him out as well.

It depends who you are bubbled with. Princess Anne's lot could all be bubbled together.

While saddened, I am not surprised at the news particularly in light of the recent lengthy hospital stays. Phillip relished being an active vigorous person and would not have wanted a prolonged decline, so there’s comfort that he was mostly spared that.
Not only due to numbers but due to the requirements to quarantine ... which is why I am not even sure that Harry will be able to be their. He will need to do 10 days in quarantine and the funeral is reported to be in 7 or 8 days time.

Only 30 people are allowed and with The Queen, four children, three spouses of children, 8 grandchildren and six spouses of grandchildren that is 22 with no great-grandchildren or more extended family members.

It is for this reason that I do think that a state memorial service will take place next year with foreign royals etc being in attendance.

I assume grandson Harry could attend under the current 5 day test/release quarantine protocol https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-test-to-release-for-international-travel, but he’d need to be on a plane soon.
30 max funeral (excluding ex & soon to be ex spouses & Meghan due to international travel risks while pregnant during pandemic)
Wife - Queen (1)
Children & spouses: Charles/Camilla, Anne/Timothy, Andrew, Edward/Sophie (7)
Grandchildren & spouses: Peter, William/Kate, Zara/Mike, Harry, Beatrice/Eduardo, Eugenie/Jack, Louise, James (12)
Niece/nephew: David, Sarah/spouse (3)
First cousins of Queen: D of Gloucester/spouse, D of Kent/Spouse, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael/spouse - the Kents are also 2nd cousins (or 1st cousins once removed) of Phillip (7)
That’s exactly 30.
The eldest great grandchildren are very young, Peter’s girls - ages 10 & 8, George & Mia age 7, & Charlotte age 5, thus I doubt they’d attend.
It’s possible the Queen may wish for a smaller service, limiting attendance to just the immediate family, the Queen, her children & their spouses, her grandchildren & their spouses, her niece & her spouse, & her nephew (23.)

My thoughts are with HM and the family..

RIP

While saddened, I am not surprised at the news particularly in light of the recent lengthy hospital stays. Phillip relished being an active vigorous person and would not have wanted a prolonged decline, so there’s comfort that he was mostly spared that.

I assume grandson Harry could attend under the current 5 day test/release quarantine protocol https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-test-to-release-for-international-travel, but he’d need to be on a plane soon.
30 max funeral (excluding ex & soon to be ex spouses & Meghan due to international travel risks while pregnant during pandemic)
Wife - Queen (1)
Children & spouses: Charles/Camilla, Anne/Timothy, Andrew, Edward/Sophie (7)
Grandchildren & spouses: Peter, William/Kate, Zara/Mike, Harry, Beatrice/Eduardo, Eugenie/Jack, Louise, James (12)
Niece/nephew: David, Sarah/spouse (3)
First cousins of Queen: D of Gloucester/spouse, D of Kent/Spouse, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael/spouse - the Kents are also 2nd cousins (or 1st cousins once removed) of Phillip (7)
That’s exactly 30.
The eldest great grandchildren are very young, Peter’s girls - ages 10 & 8, George & Mia age 7, & Charlotte age 5, thus I doubt they’d attend.
It’s possible the Queen may wish for a smaller service, limiting attendance to just the immediate family, the Queen, her children & their spouses, her grandchildren & their spouses, her niece & her spouse, & her nephew (23.)

The royals often bring children to funerals. Eugenie was 7 at Princess Diana's .

I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 eldest great grandchildren where there given this will essentially be a private occasion.

It's going to be so tricky for the funeral. It's going to have to be very carefully organised so that it doesn't cause offence to the country, I couldn't attend my brother-in-law's funeral earlier in the year because of restrictions.

So whilst the number of people working at the funeral don't count toward the 30, I imagine we will perhaps see just the Archbishop of Canterbury officiating without the usual extra clergy. No choir I assume as singing is a no-no atm.
I expect military pallbearers, but not an overly large number of people around.

The Quire at St George's seats 52 - that's not going to allow 30 people to socially distance properly. I wonder if they'll host the whole funeral in the larger main body of the church to allow distancing (especially as it will presumably be filmed) rather than have some family in the Quire and some further back.

30 people is going to be very tight.

The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Anne, Tim, Peter, Zara, Mike, Andrew, Beatrice, Eduardo, Eugenie, Jack, Edward, Sophie, Louise and James I think are the certain attendees.

That only leaves 11 spaces to be divided between the possibles; Harry, any of the great-grandchildren considered old enough, Earl Snowden, Sarah Chatto, Princess Alexandra, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester, the Mountbattens (I imagine if Pamela Hicks is well enough and not shielding she will be there). I think Penny Brabourne would have been an absolute certainty had it been a bigger event. Plus any of his nieces and nephews who live in the UK that he was close too.

There will be no politicians, which I think would please him. Likely no representatives from any of his charities or any of his loyal staff, which wouldn't be so pleasing.

They could decide to have a completely private funeral that's not broadcasted and with just The Queen, the children, grandchildren and spouses now and then have a full ceremonial memorial service later.

For those annoyed by the reactions of people on social media it might be interesting to know that people are still attempting to lay flowers and gather both outside Buckingham Palace and Windsor.

Not the wisest idea, especially as the family have asked them not to but people do want to pay their respects in person.

The royals often bring children to funerals. Eugenie was 7 at Princess Diana's .

I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 eldest great grandchildren where there given this will essentially be a private occasion.

I attended my father’s funeral at age 5 and if their presence comforts the Queen, then I’m sure they’ll be there if the numbers allow that. If the first cousins don’t attend, there would be room for the 5 eldest great grandchildren.

I hope that his kinfolk are all coping well with their grief. I appreciate the fundraising that the Duke did for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and for the World Wildlife Fund. [.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it known whether Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward and other family members are with the Queen at Windsor Castle at the moment?

Prince Emanuele Filiberto remembered the Duke of Edinburgh.
"I met him a few times but I remember him as a very worthy person, very funny, with a great sense of humor, and this is the image I want to remember. A person who has always remained precise about his rank: he is not it was something easy even for a man like him, always a step and a half behind the queen, enduring and always staying with her, and I believe that a lot of what the queen did was also thanks to him".

"Today my thoughts go to the queen and to prince Charles and to the grandchildren. Of course, it was something they expected, and it is also for this reason that he left the hospital a few days ago. faced many blows, but when your life partner disappears, it will be rhetorical but it is as if half of you are leaving".

"Unfortunately he left at a time that was also a bit sad for the family, with Prince Harry leaving England. But that's the way it is and there is no turning back. We hope this can put the family back together, and reunite the two brothers, with father and queen".
https://www.ilgiorno.it/cronaca/princiipe-filippo-ricordo-emanuele-filiberto-savoia-1.6227128/amp

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do think the only real solution is to have a very small private funeral now and then a larger memorial service later. That is quite common with the aristocracy, the late Duke of Westminster was buried quickly in a private service before a public memorial a few months later and it was reported that was what the RFs first thought was to have for Diana after her death.

It would allow his staff, charities, foreign royal families, his more distant relatives and the like to be represented/present or certainly more of a chance of that happening.

I agree in the past royal children may have attended funerals - well Beatrice and Eugenie did go to Diana's but I can't see them attending this time with the limit of people being able to. Given most of them only very recently began attending the Christmas church service I think they won't be attending his funeral at present.

Nothing on the television, no photographs of anybody arriving that I have seen.

This is immensely sad. I was hoping he'd be alright since he was released from the hospital. It feels like something steadfast, strong, and immense has passed. My thoughts with the Queen :(

RIP, sir. Fair winds and following seas!

Is it known whether Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward and other family members are with the Queen at Windsor Castle at the moment?

Prince Charles is with his mother now...

The Prince of Wales' car was pictured arriving at the Berkshire royal residence on Friday. Charles, 72, could be seen in the passenger seat of the silver Tesla as he rushed to support the monarch, 94, who is grieving for her husband.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...ueen-latest-windsor-castle-prince-philip-dead

Last edited:
The bells of Westminster Abbey toll following the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh earlier today.

Those are lovely and kind words from The President of the United States, a man who has lost many very close family members and understands loss.

My thought exactly!!

There was a photograph just published of Prince Charles arriving at Windsor earlier today. I'm not sure about the others.

This is immensely sad. I was hoping he'd be alright since he was released from the hospital. It feels like something steadfast, strong, and immense has passed. My thoughts with the Queen :(

RIP, sir. Fair winds and following seas!
It could be he wanted to die at home.

It could be he wanted to die at home.

of course he would have wanted to die at home.. but I think it was on the cards from his long stay in hospital that he was wearing out....

A summary of reactions of Commonwealth heads of government from the same BBC article above.

A summary of reactions of Commonwealth heads of government from the same BBC article above.

Quote:
Australian PM Scott Morrison said in a statement: "He embodied a generation that we will never see again."

He praised the duke as the patron of dozens of organisations in Australia.

The praise from New Zealand's PM Jacinda Ardern was similar, saying that "thousands of young people have completed life-changing challenges" through the duke's Hillary Award.

Canada's PM Justin Trudeau said the duke had "contributed so much to the social fabric of our country - and the world".

He added: "Prince Philip was a man of great purpose and conviction, who was motivated by a sense of duty to others. We will fondly remember him as a pillar in the life of our Queen."

Pakistan's PM Imran Khan said Philip had been a "wise leader" and his "role in promoting Pakistan-UK relations will always be remembered".

And Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was another to praise a lifetime of dedication to "many community service initiatives".

Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta said the duke was a "towering symbol of family values and the unity of the British people as well as the entire global community" - a man who had worked for the "peaceful co-existence of the human race".

Kind messages from Commonwealth Realms' Heads of Governments of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, where the Queen is also their Head of State.

And also from Heads of States of Pakistan, India, and Kenya. These are Republic Countries that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations, but with their own heads of state.

BBC just reported that Prince Charles visited the Queen this morning at Windsor.

Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...

When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.
This is not a day for politics. Once again as on many occasions President Obama’s words comfort me when I need them.
This is also not a day to focus on HRH’s flaws - I can only say that I loved him more for them. He was a person not a pedestal- someone to look at- not to look up at, though no doubt an inspiration.

I would expect that there will be programs and the like on over the weekend to commemorate the life of the late DoE. Has anyone seen any of these listed so far? I'm in America so I might have to watch them at a different time. I'm wondering if there might be a special put on Netflix or Amazon Prime this weekend, though. They do have a ton of documentaries like that on the RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom