Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a beautiful picture of Mia and Philip :cry:

And a sidenote, again a wonderful picture by Kate. She's such a good photographer.

This is a beautiful photo. What a nice thing for Mia to have as she gets older and for Mike and Zara now, especially so as Zara is so close to both of her grandparents. I really do think it's lovely that Catherine has apparently become kind of the de facto family photographer. I know it's usually her own children that she shares with us in her photographs and I totally understand why but it's so nice to see the photos she takes of the other great-grandchildren, too, and it speaks to the closeness of the cousins and their families. I wonder if this was taken at Balmoral?

It's lovely. It definitely seems like Balmoral with the log cabin and heather behind it.

Oooww, that's lovely...

What a wonderful thing that greatgrandpa (and greatgranny) have been able to enjoy such a long life in relatively good health and a number of greatgrandkids will have lasting memories of them ❤️

So true........

Kate is a wonderful photographer; she's able to capture warmth in relationships -- she just seems to know what's right.

If I had seen that photo without being told who it was, I never would have guessed it was Philip; he just looks like a regular grandpa

Another lovely family photo released, this time by Mike Tindall on his personal Instagram.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzHGdE9XEAAjuxF?format=jpg&name=large
It seems - with all of the photos being released - that Catherine has become an "unofficial" photographer of the BRF :D It's wonderful to see she had captured memories for th extended family as well and she's clearly talented.

Mike's words were also beautiful. "A devoted family man who we will forever miss but always love" :sad:

Catherine's photography has the quality of letting us "in" a bit to see the private side of the family that professional photographers would never get access to. The pictures that are released are so much more personal this way.

Tomorrow live from the YouTube channel*of the Royal family:

FYI - network coverage of the funeral:

ABC:

ABC News will present special coverage of Prince Philip’s funeral on Saturday, April 17th beginning at approximately 9:30 am ET on the network.

World News Tonight Anchor David Muir will lead the coverage. He’ll be joined by:
Deborah Roberts in NY
James Longman from Windsor
Maggie Rulli from Buckingham Palace

Additional reporting from Windsor by:
Robert Jobson
Victoria Murphy
Omid Scobie

CNN:

CNN International will broadcast the proceedings starting at 1 p.m. local time (8 a.m. ET), with Christiane Amanpour anchoring from Buckingham Palace. Anderson Cooper picks up anchoring duties on both CNN and CNN International at 2 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET), joined by Julia Chatterley and Richard Quest in New York, as well as CNN correspondents in Windsor, London, and Edinburgh.

Hala Gorani will host an additional 90 minutes of coverage on CNN International starting at 4:30 p.m. local time (11:30 a.m. ET). There will also be a live stream of the event on CNN.com.

I'm trying to find out who will be on NBC and MSNBC

This is a beautiful photo. What a nice thing for Mia to have as she gets older and for Mike and Zara now, especially so as Zara is so close to both of her grandparents. I really do think it's lovely that Catherine has apparently become kind of the de facto family photographer. I know it's usually her own children that she shares with us in her photographs and I totally understand why but it's so nice to see the photos she takes of the other great-grandchildren, too, and it speaks to the closeness of the cousins and their families. I wonder if this was taken at Balmoral?

Agreed.

This is a lovely photo. I like that we get to see Philip doing something with her (having/making a snack) as he was such an active person. (Much like George with the carriage, and Eugenie’s stories of their activities.)

Catherine does seem to be the family photographer. She’s very good at it.

I suspect it was at balmoral.

Last edited:
I imagine the only one who will ever know the answer to this is probably the Queen which is okay imo. We don't need to know everything about their relationship/marriage or any Royal for that matter.

I doubt the Queen actually "fell in love" at age 13 if you get what I mean. Probably more of a young teen girl cush on an older boy but eventually developed into something more as she got older.

Didn't they start writing letters to each other after that meeting in which the now queen was 13; so something must have happened for that to start. I don't think she wrote to a wide variety of potential future husbands/foreign princes that were several years older. It makes sense that their 'not-yet relationship' wasn't a high priority during the war; as Elizabeth was still a teenager - and it was war...

Didn't they start writing letters to each other after that meeting in which the now queen was 13; so something must have happened for that to start. I don't think she wrote to a wide variety of potential future husbands/foreign princes that were several years older. It makes sense that their 'not-yet relationship' wasn't a high priority during the war; as Elizabeth was still a teenager - and it was war...

I don't think anything happened- that would have been really, well, gross as Princess Elizabeth was 13; no way Philip would have had any feelings like that. They did keep up a correspondence, but it was friendly. I thought I read that things changed when PE was about 16 or so and Philip saw her performing in one of the family shows - I think they called it charades? PE was apparently extremely good in the charades and Philip saw that she was not a little girl anywmore......

I definitely would worry, as a parent, if my 13 year old daughter (essentially a child) was writing love letters to an 18 year old young man and he was receptive to them. For reasons of common sense (on her parents part) I have never believed that to be true. A crush on her part, absolutely, but to say she was in love is just silly. Lady Pamela Mountbatten even said that it took Elizabeth to be 20/21 to fall in love with him and it took Philip a lot of years later to fall in love with her and that makes much more sense.

I definitely would worry, as a parent, if my 13 year old daughter (essentially a child) was writing love letters to an 18 year old young man and he was receptive to them. For reasons of common sense (on her parents part) I have never believed that to be true. A crush on her part, absolutely, but to say she was in love is just silly. Lady Pamela Mountbatten even said that it took Elizabeth to be 20/21 to fall in love with him and it took Philip a lot of years later to fall in love with her and that makes much more sense.

Elizabeth was not writing love letters to Philip and he wasn't responding to them that way. It was a friendly correspondence. Whether the princess knew what "love" really was (I mean, she saw her parents deeply in love and the kind of marriage they had), who knows? But it's clear she couldn't see past Philip once she laid eyes on him. It makes sense to me that she was really IN LOVE the way and adult can be when she was older, though.

This article is Beatrice talking about her grandfather from shortly before his death, but the life lessons she learned from him were really good:

Princess Beatrice shared lesson she learned from Prince Philip at her last engagement before his death, telling young leaders not to be 'obsessed with solutions' and to focus on the journey to get there instead

When asked to share advice with young future leaders during the webinar, Beatrice told them not to become obsessed with the 'solution' while trying to solve problems because their journey will always have 'twists and turns'.

She went on to urge them not to become 'disheartened' by obstacles and to remain 'focused' on what they are trying to achieve, a lesson she said was inspired by her grandfather Prince Philip.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...ng-leaders-advice-inspired-Prince-Philip.html

Elizabeth was not writing love letters to Philip and he wasn't responding to them that way. It was a friendly correspondence. Whether the princess knew what "love" really was (I mean, she saw her parents deeply in love and the kind of marriage they had), who knows? But it's clear she couldn't see past Philip once she laid eyes on him. It makes sense to me that she was really IN LOVE the way and adult can be when she was older, though.

Thanks Betsypaige. Elizabeth wasn't writing love letters (I am sure she knew what would be expected of her in such a correspondence and writing lots of 'I love you's' surely wasn't included and would have been considered improper) but they DID start exchanging letters, so there was some kind of mutual interest (whether encouraged by others or not). The queen's confidants, including her lady-in-waiting Lady Pamela Hicks, confirmed that from age 13 she didn't have an eye for any other man than Philip.

There was obviously something there that drew them to each other at the very beginning although I definitely wouldn't put "love" in the equation. There was a connection enough that they pursued getting to know each other as "friends" and perhaps "distant relations". Kind of like pen pals. This, to me, formed a good, solid basis for the loving relationship that grew out of that in the years ahead. They "got" each other. They respected each other's individuality and instinctively knew what the other needed. They knew each other well before any thought of "falling in love" entered their heads.

They were one of those couples that you kind of could say their relationship was "fated to be" or "written in the stars". I think 73 years of marriage proves that through the ups and downs and ins and outs and flying tennis rackets. :D

That photo of Prince Philip and Mia Tindall is sweet, it's the first photo that made me tear up. So authentic.

Last edited:
The photograph of Prince Philip with Mia really shows that this family is more than just the "royal family" ... it's an authentic traditional family with grandpa having a beautiful moment with his great-granddaughter. Together, with the photograph of QEII and Prince Philip with their great-grandchildren earlier this week, we now know what we had only suspected --- there are more "family time" intimate moments than we know (or should know!). I'm so touched by the photographs this week.

From Sky News earlier the route and how the Funeral will unfold.

The Archbishop of Canterbury talks about the death of the duke and the funeral.

Last edited:
I think there are a variety of reasons for that, certainly I think they had a close relationship with Philip and we know they visited Windsor a lot and the Queen and Philip visited Bagshot quite frequently too (certainly more than some of her other children's homes)

I also think in these Covid times the Wessex's are the easiest to "deploy" as such as they are so close to Windsor itself whereas Anne is 1.5hours away as is Charles (unless he is at Clarence House)

That pic of HM and Philip is lovely! It's been a real treat to see how close the family are "behind the scenes".

That's a lovely photo by Sophie and from the early days when they weren't married and she was still getting to know everyone.

Lots of photos from Balmoral, clearly it has always been a very happy place for them, which we knew but it's nice to get a peep behind the curtain sometimes.

I think there are a variety of reasons for that, certainly I think they had a close relationship with Philip and we know they visited Windsor a lot and the Queen and Philip visited Bagshot quite frequently too (certainly more than some of her other children's homes)

I also think in these Covid times the Wessex's are the easiest to "deploy" as such as they are so close to Windsor itself whereas Anne is 1.5hours away as is Charles (unless he is at Clarence House)

That pic of HM and Philip is lovely! It's been a real treat to see how close the family are "behind the scenes".

I think it’s my favorite photo of them. Scotland is so gorgeous, and HM and Philip look just like regular country folk. ????

I agree with your second comment as well. Maybe they don’t see each other that much, but it’s obvious there’s a great deal of love between them...

The whole British Royal Family did celebrate last week his life. This was such an incredible gift to him to honour his achievements, his love and the time with him.

I had to shed some tears when a new aspect of his life was posted.

There is also something in the Daily Mail about them ending up walking in twos once they arrive at the chapel

Yes, the official website lists the order of the procession:

The Princess Royal The Prince of Wales
The Earl of Wessex and Forfar The Duke of York
The Duke of Sussex Mr. Peter Phillips The Duke of Cambridge
Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence The Earl of Snowdon

https://www.royal.uk/funeral-duke-edinburgh-0

Interestingly, it lists "Mr. and Mrs. Mike Tindall" ahead of "Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi" on the guestlist.

They might just have decided they didn't want too many people walking behind the coffin, so to keep it to the children and the adult grandsons.

A natural approach of limiting the number of grandchildren walking behind the coffin would have been to incorporate only the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex, the grandchildren who are highest in the order of precedence, or perhaps only Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall, the oldest of the grandchildren. If what has been said about the Princess Royal walking in the otherwise all-male procession only because she asked and received special permission to do so is correct, the most likely explanation is that the granddaughters and the wives (Sir Tim is walking in the procession) were excluded on the grounds of their gender.

Maybe the granddaughters have been given the choice and they just chose not to. Especially Zara and Eugenie have just delivered a baby.

It is not impossible, but if all attending members of the family were given the choice it would be surprising that all but one of the family members who accepted were male.

The Queen presented Edward with a Scottish Earldom for his 55th birthday. I thought the title was only going to be used in Scotland but obviously on this occasion both are being used.

I think you are correct. The announcement of the Earldom of Forfar stated that "Their Royal Highnesses will use the title The Earl and Countess of Forfar when in Scotland."

That being said, I suppose one could say that "when in Scotland" does not necessarily mean "only when in Scotland".

Those who missed the discussion of the Queen's conferral of the Earldom of Forfar on Prince Edward can find it here. https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...s-10-november-2018-a-45774-5.html#post2202820

Peers (whether Royal or not) always use their highest title and if they have two of the same rank they use both. For example the Duke of Buccleuch is also the Duke of Queensberry so is addressed as the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. The same thing is happening here with Edward.

Unsure if this is for the event or how it always is? As the Earl's titles are of the same rank, both have to be listed. If one outranked the other, then only that one would be mentioned - ie. the other Dukes.

But Prince Edward typically uses The Earl of Wessex only, at least outside of Scotland.

https://www.royal.uk/the-earl-of-wessex

I asked this morning and the official word is that Windsor Castle is both in Scotland and England.

Isn't Windsor Castle located in the region of London?

That's a lovely photo by Sophie and from the early days when they weren't married and she was still getting to know everyone.

Lots of photos from Balmoral, clearly it has always been a very happy place for them, which we knew but it's nice to get a peep behind the curtain sometimes.

The photo was taken in 2003, Sophie and Edward were married for 4 years by then and assumably first-time parents (of Louise) ;)

Isn't Windsor Castle located in the region of London?

It is, so unless Windsor Castle has a ghost companion in Scotland, I have no idea what "both in Scotland and England" means.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom