Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling: Relationship Discussion (2002-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article from The Local:
http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=608&date=20041110&PHPSESSID=991d03e59bd0cae0809d2fe77ca6a8f9

Madde shows shrinking violet Daniel the way

It is often said that younger siblings have all the fun: Princess Madeleine was certainly having a devil of a time at her halloween party in one of Stockholm’s trendiest restaurants. Her elder sister Victoria was feeling less carefree and easy, as word started to circulate that the pressures of celebrity were getting to her boyfriend, Daniel Westling.

The crown princess spoke in a television interview last week of the difficulties she had balancing her position with her love life. This week, Aftonbladet demonstrated the kind of difficulties that a royal boyfriend faces.

The paper reported that Daniel had become increasingly fed up with the attention he was receiving in the press. It noted that the couple used to walk openly together on the streets of Stockholm, but said that these days when Victoria and Daniel go to the gym they use different entrances to divert the press.

“Daniel doesn’t like being recognized, and being photographed in private is even worse,” a ‘friend’ told Aftonbladet. The friend went on to say that if the couple split, “it will be because of this.”

Aftonbladet reminded readers that this would not be the first time that Victoria had lost a boyfriend who could not handle all the attention. Her relationship with former boyfriend Daniel Collert broke up for just this reason, it reported.

A royal boyfriend who appears to be taking the press pack in his stride is Jonas Bergström, Princess Madeleine’s other half. He was by the young princess’s side as she held a halloween bash at a trendy Stockholm restaurant.

The “super secret” party, was “planned down to the last detail”, reported Expressen. The part girl herself made a grand entrance, dressed in a black wig with devil horns. Madeleine, clearly not the family’s shrinking violet, made quite an impression.

“Everyone laughed and she really drew attention to herself,” a guest told the paper.

So Daniel N. thinks he is responsible for the first spilt up? And might be for the second.... Well then he should learn to behave! :mad:

Gita said:
I am only guessing that if there is an engagement it won't be this year now.
Well not this year, this can taken for sure..
But I thought you are pro engagement.
Could you tell us why?

mixer2002de said:
Well not this year, this can taken for sure..
For sure? In life nothing can be taken for sure ;) And maybe we will see an engagement around xmas or new year. At least this is something, that I would consider as romantic :)

The ring

I wonder how this would be, if Daniel would buy the engagement ring. Could he buy it in Stockholm at the big jewelers, or should he do it abroad, so that no one would recognize him. What do you think, in which price class would it be? And do some members know how expensive (don´t need to know it exactly...just an idea) the rings were, which the european crown princes (this generation of course) have chosen??

Gymägaren Daniel Westling och kronprinsessan Victoria är på väg att permanenta sitt förhållande. Flera källor uppger nu att paret är på väg att gifta sig.
Victoria och Daniel planerar bröllop i sommar
Kronprinsessan Victoria och Daniel Westling kommer sannolikt att förlova sig efter nyår.
Det uppger flera initierade källor för Expressen.

– Kungen har gett sitt medgivande till ett giftermål. Allt tyder på att bröllopet står till sommaren, säger en källa.
Kronprinsessan Victoria, 27, och gymägaren Daniel Westling, 31, har snart varit tillsammans i tre år.
Expressen har tidigare avslöjat att kungaparet helst skulle se att relationen mellan Victoria och Daniel Westling tog slut.
Orsaken var att Westling inte ansågs klara rollen som make till Sveriges blivande statschef.
Bland annat ansågs han ha för dålig social kompetens och allmänutbildning.
Kungaparets uppfattning om Daniel har nu förändrats.
– De har förstått att de måste gilla läget. De har också börjat se till Daniel Westlings många positiva sidor. Han är en duktig, skötsam och ambitiös person, säger en källa.

Daniel har tvekat
Enligt Expressens källor har kronprinsessan Victoria hela tiden varit mycket tydlig med sin kärlek till Daniel Westling.
– Det är hon som har legat på och velat permanenta förhållandet ytterligare, säger en källa.
Däremot har Daniel Westling varit tveksam att ta steget fullt ut.
Han har bland annat berörts av kritiken att han inte skulle vara ”lämplig”.
– Men det som framför allt gjort honom betänksam är rädsla för den ständiga uppmärksamheten. Att inte kunna leva ett normalt liv utan att hela tiden vara påpassad, säger en källa.

Kungen har sagt ja
Enligt Expressens källor har Carl XVI Gustaf nu gett sitt godkännande till ett kommande giftermål.
Detta sker efter att Daniel Westling också fullt ut bestämt sig för att satsa på kärleken till kronprinsessan.
Som ett led i planerna håller Westling nu på att vidareutbilda sig inom olika ämnen. Utbildningarna sker ytterst diskret av handplockade personer.
– Det handlar dels om allmänbildning och språk, dels om hur man uppför sig på ett korrekt sätt.
Enligt Expressens källor väntas förlovningen ske efter nyår – följt av ett bröllop till sommaren i Storkyrkan invid Stockholms slott.
Samma kyrka som Victorias föräldrar gifte sig i 19 juni 1976.

Last edited:
They said it before. They said that he was in prince school last month though.
And the whole castle business deal was reported earlier this month.

Last edited:
Yes, but they never were so concrete before. To say an engagement shortly after New years day and a wedding in summer 2005 will take place...they really lean out far of the window with this. Maybe just a sign for the (new) lack of serious journalism in Sweden´s evening-newspapers. Maybe they have really found an indiscreet person (perhaps in Ockelbo), who has told them the news (???)

The reports in EXPRESSEN go on:

According to them Daniel is now in "prince school". But as Aftonbladet a few weeks ago, they don´t have details. They just say he´s teached in etiquette, english, social studies and political science. IMO they really could try harder to find out more details. Well, maybe it´s not true, then they can´t find details. Or maybe this is an top secret operation:
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=212932

Then they speculate if they could marry in the church of Ockelbo. High unlikely if you ask me. They would need videowalls for all the Royals outside of the church ;) :
33956091.jpg

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=212936

Then they tell their readers, that you can bet on a possible wedding. The bookies of "unibet" think , that they will marry, but that they will wait a bit longer (ridicules a bit the article of Expressen, which claims to be sure, that they will marry in 2005):
http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=212943

And finally Sweden´s minister for equality (very swedish, isn´t it) thinks, that Daniel should become king.The readers of Expressen think different. According to a poll only 16 % (so far) want him to be king:
http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=212970

And here is an article in english from The local:
http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=689&date=20041130&PHPSESSID=faf2c9115075b33282eaee6603b2f3d0

Rumours of Swedish royal wedding reach fever pitch

Is it about to be made official? Could Sweden soon have a new prince? Well, Expressen certainly seems confident: “Victoria and Daniel are planning a wedding for next summer” was the headline splashed across newsagents’ windows the length and breath of Sweden.

The Swedish tabloids and gossip magazines may be in the habit of issuing almost monthly predictions of impending royal weddings, but one day they’ll be right. Here at The Local we’re willing to suspend disbelief once more and deck the editorial offices in blue and yellow bunting.

Expressen, citing the usual “knowledgeable sources”, claimed on Tuesday that King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia had given their approval for Crown Princess Victoria to marry her long-term boyfriend Daniel Westling, and had overcome earlier doubts about the relationship.

The wedding is expected to take place in the cathedral of Storkyrkan, near the royal palace in Stockholm next summer. Before making it official, the couple would first need permission from the government. It is expected that Daniel will become a prince when the couple marries.

The paper said that the king and queen had previously thought that Westling was not well enough educated and had poor social skills. Now, says Expressen’s source, things have changed:

“They have realized that they have to deal with it. They have also begun to see that Daniel is a conscientious, comptetent and ambitious person.”

Far from the king obstructing the marriage, it seems that Daniel has been the one with most doubts. The paper says that he has been affected by comments that he would not be suitable to marry the heir to Sweden’s throne. He is also, it appears, frightened by the attention that goes with the job.

The news of engagement rumours was accompanied by comforting news for anyone bored with being packed off on professional development courses by their employer - it seems that even royalty are not exempt. In fact, as The Local reported recently, the Crown Princess has been studying ‘Queenology’ for some time. Now Daniel is to get “discreet” training from “hand picked teachers”, who will instruct him in languages and “good behaviour”.

If its that way... I would suggest a Roman Catholic Kathederal for marriage maybe St. Stephan would fit. It was good enough for an Austrian emperor. So it also should satisfy a Swedish crown princess :)

do you think they can confirm a engegment this spring if victoria say that its not true like everything else. I doubt it that would look a bit foolish

i think with all these roumors daniel will hasitate more and more

This weeks Svensk Damtidning also says that Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling will get married next summer.

According to their sources, the engagement will be announced sometime between the Royal Family’s winter holiday and the State Visit to Argentina (February).

According to the magazine, the Royal Court has now accepted that Daniel is not, and will never be, an academic. Instead they plan to uphold his knowledge in the things he is good at – like running a company and health.

They also say that Daniel has been appointed a mentor – a person from the trade and industry (business life) with a top position, who is teaching him etiquette and other necessary things. Like we’ve read before, the article also mentions that he is given lessons in political science, history, literature and English.

The magazine also writes that their sources say that no one in the Royal Family expects Daniel to devote his life work to the subjects he is now studying, but instead they want to focus also on his good sides – his healthy attitude and way of life which makes him a good role model. The magazine and their sources suggests that this can be done by Daniel working actively in various boards of non-profit organisations that works to benefit the public health, sports in schools, anti-smoking and corporate health services.

GrandDuchess said:
They also say that Daniel has been appointed a mentor – a person from the trade and industry (business life) with a top position, who is teaching him etiquette and other necessary things.
Firstly, thank your for the informations GrandDuchess.
So they know he has gotten a mentor with a top position in Sweden, but they can´t name him????
Well, if it´s true, we at least can be sure, that neither Ann Christine Jernberg nor ETW are his mentors ;)

So when Svensk Damtidning is right, it can happen that the Swedes next year at that time are warned of a big smiling prince Daniel in newspapers, magazines and on TV not to drink too much "Glögg", not to eat too much christmas cookies and to walk instead of going by the "tunnelbana" (?) ;)

GrandDuchess said:
... the Royal Court has now accepted that Daniel is not, and will never be, an academic.
Quite a "low blow". Does the King have an academic degree? Does Silvia have one? Does Victoria have one?
.... No, no and NO !!!!!!!!!!

They also say that Daniel has been appointed a mentor – a person from the trade and industry (business life) with a top position, who is teaching him etiquette and other necessary things.
I'd like to learn the outcome of that ..... is it a case of Daniel providing the mentor with a refreshing new view of the world? What happens if they don't click?

The magazine also writes that their sources say that no one in the Royal Family expects Daniel to devote his life work to the subjects he is now studying, but instead they want to focus also on his good sides – his healthy attitude and way of life which makes him a good role model.
Alas .... how Daniel will handle the boredom of being an inconsequential consort cannot be taught. Trust he doesn't take after Ernst August.

hrhcp said:
Quite a "low blow". Does the King have an academic degree? Does Silvia have one? Does Victoria have one?

Alas .... how Daniel will handle the boredom of being an inconsequential consort cannot be taught. Trust he doesn't take after Ernst August.
Aren't you a pessimistic person.
Victoria may not have a degree but she has studied at several academic institutions including courses at Harvard.
As for a consort being inconsequential tell that to Claus, Sofia, Silvia, Paola and Sonja and the others. All of them are much loved and well respected and no one in their countries would say they are inconsequential, least of all their spouses and their children.

Vicomtesse said:
Aren't you a pessimistic person.
Victoria may not have a degree but she has studied at several academic institutions including courses at Harvard.
As for a consort being inconsequential tell that to Claus, Sofia, Silvia, Paola and Sonja and the others. All of them are much loved and well respected and no one in their countries would say they are inconsequential, least of all their spouses and their children.
Yes, thanks god not all people think like hrhcp concerning this matter. Then they (Daniel) really would be inconsequential. But a few still do and this makes it so hard for the male prince consorts.

BTW Victoria has studied at Yale :)

I´ve found something suspicious on the Glittering Royals MB. The schedule of the norwegian Royal family (posted of Hans-E) for 2005. Now you will say, that this is the Sweden-forum and more exactly the thread about Victoria and Daniel. And you are right. On the plan for 2005 the swedish Royals are mentioned two times:

June: The Swedish King and Queen comes on a visit!

September: The King and Queen makes official visit to Sweden.

We all know, that the Norwegians and Swedes are very close (similar culture, similar language, close neighbours, and so on).

But why 2 visits in one year?? Quite unusal, isn´t it? Esp. since there is no special occasion (jubilee etc.).

And now my suspicion: The second visit (the norwegian Royal couple coming to Sweden) could be shortly after the wedding of Victoria to Daniel. And so he would get the chance to participate in an official visit of a statesman to Sweden. This wouldn´t be too difficult for him, since he could talk swedish to them. Of course I have no evidence and if they really would get engaged in January it is high likely that there would be a state visit to Sweden before and that Daniel as fiancé would have to participate.

I also think it are just rumours. I don't like that guy Daniel. I see something on him. I don't think he is, hm how should I say it, honest. And I think Victoria sees that too. Maybe thats why she don't take the big step. She is happy with him and he make her happy, but Victoria is smart enough to see he isn't fit for a royal role.

royal_sophietje said:
I also think it are just rumours. I don't like that guy Daniel. I see something on him. I don't think he is, hm how should I say it, honest. And I think Victoria sees that too. Maybe thats why she don't take the big step. She is happy with him and he make her happy, but Victoria is smart enough to see he isn't fit for a royal role.
I don't know about the honest thing as you suggest, but I wonder if she is torn by the last bit of your comment: she really loves him but also sees that he isn't fit or prepared for a royal future.

Recent royal weddings have very much consisted of both love and the ability to be royal: Phillippe and Mathilde, Frederik and Mary, Willem and Maxima, Felipe and Letizia. Even Haakon and Mette-Marit, which was most certainly about love though there was more skepticism about Mette-Marit's fittedness for a royal life, she was a least earnest and sincere in her desire to be a good representative for the Norwegians.

Even that sincerity and earnestness to represent the Swedish royal family and nation doesn't seem evident to me in Daniel. He may very well love Victoria but love or even prepared to live and sacrifice with what loving her means (he's marrying the woman as much as he's marrying the crown!) -- I don't think he's ready or willing.

Personally I find it very difficult to say anything about Daniel, I have not heared him say a singel word, I have hardly read that he has said something, there are very few (compared to say Fred and Mary) pictures of him and Victoria together, and the pictures I have seen of him by him self has almost always been in realtion with the gym. Even if I have read most of what expressen and aftonbladet has written there is very little known about him I think, his friend has kept from blabbing to the press...based on that I think it is impossible for me to make any "ruling on Daniel" except when Mette-Marit, Maxima, Letizia and Mary was excepted, all commoners, all rather average woman with no exceptional doings and some with different problematic things in the background can become royals why should Daniel be a no go?

And the constant nagging about Daniels supposed lacking english, has anyone heared him speak it BTW? How many languages did Mary speak when she moved to Denmark? MM spoke 2 and Letizia spanish and a unknown amount of English. They all went trough and still do "princess school" so why is it so strange that Daniel has to do Prince school, Its the way it works when everyone can become a royal...

The problem for Daniel, or any man Victoria marrys, is that its just not so intresting to talk about men, the ladies can be groomed, buy expensive clothes, wear big gala dresses with long train and load on with the family jewels and hairextensions and every one goes "ooooh she looks soooo regal" What can Daniel do? Put on a suit, tux or a whit tie for the fiftieth time maybe with a sash if he gets one...

The thing that I really would like to know is if her really wants to be a Prince (or whatever title he gets) at the moment he seems to go out of his way to not be in the press and if he marrys Victoria he willl be in the glossys every week for the rest of his life...

My resolution: Carl Philip marrys Emma, Sweden gets a royal wedding with all that goes with it and Victoria gets atleast another year with peace and quiet to think things trough....:D

Larzen said:
The problem for Daniel, or any man Victoria marrys, is that its just not so intresting to talk about men, the ladies can be groomed, buy expensive clothes, wear big gala dresses with long train and load on with the family jewels and hairextensions and every one goes "ooooh she looks soooo regal" What can Daniel do? Put on a suit, tux or a whit tie for the fiftieth time maybe with a sash if he gets one...
This is so totally true. The fascination for royals can be really superficial - but at the same time, why wouldn't it be, we all like to see our beloved royals in gala wear...:D

This is also partly why I think it's important for Victoria to get a stylist and improve her personal style - because when she one day becomes Queen Reignant - she will be the center of attention, and with time she will also have to "take over" Silvia's role as one of the most stylish royals. Victoria as Head of State won't have someone at her side, like The King has with Silvia now, who can draw the attention of the photographers.

Larzen said:
Im really suprised they hardly get pictures of him. Danish and Norwegian press had new pictures of Mary and Mette-Marit weekly. Daniel Nyhlen must be out of praktice:D I mean seeing how high the speculations are going no, I would have expected them to hunt him in search of a comment (which I don think they will get) or atleas some pictures, but Nothing
After concluding the fact that the Swedish evening newspapers (journalists) is all about writing trash and bashing people these days - maybe it's also time to realise that the core of Swedish photographers are all "softies"? I also find it very weird that we haven't seen more pictures of Danne alone, and Danne and Victoria as a couple, out and about. Especially Expressen should have these kind of pictures - since they don't have their "own" photographers anymore, but hire people for all photo assignments. So it would be the perfect thing for Expressen to do, order "paparazzi" pictures of the royals from freelance photographers...

royal_sophietje said:
don't like that guy Daniel. I see something on him. I don't think he is, hm how should I say it, honest. And I think Victoria sees that too.
You are alluding to him perchance of having a roving eye?

... Victoria is smart enough to see he isn't fit for a royal role.
I re-mention an earlier comment of mine that Victoria might have an inferiority complex. I'm sure if she gave the "nod" she could have her pick of well credentialed "academic" men. But with Daniel, she becomes a leader like Haakon in choosing a "spouse" who doesn't have a degree and comes from a slightyl questionable background. Something about these Scandinavians ....

hrhcp said:
[b said:
GrandDuchess][/b] ... the Royal Court has now accepted that Daniel is not, and will never be, an academic.

What I meant in this regard, was a presence of a degree, diploma or completion certificate. Fine, Victoria did go to Yale ... but did she get a degree? I agree, she probably got a well embroidered certificate that states she attended Yale, but does that piece of paper actually say she got a degree?

hrhcp said:
GrandDuchess said:
The magazine also writes that their sources say that no one in the Royal Family expects Daniel to devote his life work to the subjects he is now studying, but instead they want to focus also on his good sides – his healthy attitude and way of life which makes him a good role model.
Say what you want .... but men are men and women are women. That is, look at Prince Philip of England, Prince Claus of the Netherlands (while he was still alive), Prince Henrik of Denmark, Prince Ernst August of Hannover ... these gentlemen all had/have a hard time being upstaged by their wives. That's just a man thing. Most men "feel" a sense of accomplishment being "breadwinners" and I feel most certain that Daniel's sense of current satisfaction (and perhaps Victoria's sense of future unease) is connected with running a successful (ie: profitable) business.

When he marries, I think he will have to give it up. That will be a "loss" similar to that what ex-king Constantine of Greece experienced being booted off his throne. Compensation: running from infidelity to infidelity .....?....

Being a royal in the modern day and age - albeit being married into the ruling family - is something that appeals more to the female side, imho. The magic, the pomp and circumstance, the attention, the clothes, having servants at your beck and call. However, being married into the ruling family as a man, is completely different. Hence my allusion to Ernst August as the darker side. Perhaps I should have made reference to Constantine?

GrandDuchess said:
This is also partly why I think it's important for Victoria to get a stylist and improve her personal style - because when she one day becomes Queen Reignant - she will be the center of attention, and with time she will also have to "take over" Silvia's role as one of the most stylish royals. Victoria as Head of State won't have someone at her side, like The King has with Silvia now, who can draw the attention of the photographers.
There is no natural gurantee that Victoria will automatically become one of the most stylish royal women. Just because her mother is now doesn't mean Victoria is naturally entitled to this particular mantle. There isn't much inkling NOW that Victoria is capable of having the true sense of style her mother does. Style and fashion sense is not hereditary the last time I checked.

Larzen said:
Personally I find it very difficult to say anything about Daniel, I have not heared him say a singel word, I have hardly read that he has said something, there are very few (compared to say Fred and Mary) pictures of him and Victoria together, and the pictures I have seen of him by him self has almost always been in realtion with the gym. Even if I have read most of what expressen and aftonbladet has written there is very little known about him I think, his friend has kept from blabbing to the press...based on that I think it is impossible for me to make any "ruling on Daniel" except when Mette-Marit, Maxima, Letizia and Mary was excepted, all commoners, all rather average woman with no exceptional doings and some with different problematic things in the background can become royals why should Daniel be a no go?
Isn't this a bit of a double standard? Just because one hasn't read a single word spoke by Daniel himself or even the words of others doesn't mean that he can't be judged even if it is wrong. Even before Mary spoke her first public words about Frederik or about their relationship plenty of people had things to say about her. The same thing happened to Letizia. People thought it okay to judge her based on her divorce and her lack of religion before even the engagement press conference. Don't even get me started on how much was said about Mette-Marit before she so much as even sighed in public.

Larzen said:
Then maybe we shouldn't be so superficial. Maybe we should aspire for our royalty to be more than Barbie and Ken dolls and really applaud them for doing good works rather than just looking pretty in an expensive dress and a carat-filled tiara.
By the same extension a lack of focus on Daniel superficially would equal a boring subject matter for the glossy mags. Then he could either go quietly about representing the royal house or simply disappear into the backdrop of the royal house and be the man behind the woman.

Vicomtesse said:
There is no natural gurantee that Victoria will automatically become one of the most stylish royal women. Just because her mother is now doesn't mean Victoria is naturally entitled to this particular mantle. There isn't much inkling NOW that Victoria is capable of having the true sense of style her mother does. Style and fashion sense is not hereditary the last time I checked.
That's not what I meant. I just meant that when Victoria one day becomes Queen Reignant - she will be the center of attention in Sweden and in focus by all the media in Europe - and it will matter how stylish she then is (so she has to improve). Unlike the situation of today, when King Carl XVI Gustaf is considered quite boring by the media - but has a Queen and three gorgeous children who draw all the spotlight instead.

So when Victoria does get married, and before she starts a family - the people and the media will not have a beautiful young woman to awe for and call style icon - instead just a man who tries his best to change his tux, blazer or jaquette the best he can, and maybe a few different ties... No tiaras, necklaces, brooches, earring etc on him that the photographers can take pictures of and the journalists write whole articles and columns on... :D

Of course when she gets her own family, the press will follow them and all that. But I'm just saying - it matters how she dresses.

And when they dont have the superficial things to focus on the press will be bored and bored press write negative articles:D They really do, when was the last time someone read a positive article on Carl Gustaf?

i have been thinking would they keep going with the relationchip if they know (they i mean daniel and victoria) that they would not have a future togather they must have talked about it becouse they have been dating for a while now

Josefine said:
i have been thinking would they keep going with the relationchip if they know (they i mean daniel and victoria) that they would not have a future togather they must have talked about it becouse they have been dating for a while now
Hopefully not! With the time it wouldn´t become easier to get seperated one day.

Personally I was quite sure, that he would watch the NPA. Mainly to see his Victoria, and then to get an impression of these important festivities for the Royals.
But maybe he has videotaped it, or his "mentor" has, or whatever...
And I wonder, if he also hasn´t watched the wedding in Denmark (??)

Josefine said:
Ithink if the king is really against him, he will sooner or later break in and has to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom