Charlene Wittstock Current Events Part 10: January 2008 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is Vogue USA (July issue)
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4830/14604517913hfp5c.jpg
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7488/14604523842h7vxs.jpg

Let me guess: She is stunning!! She looks beautifully perfect! Right?

yeah...well, my thought is:
She looks fine, not absolutely gorgeous. Just fine. But she should stop posing in swimming suits. We know she is a swimmer. But she is 3 weeks to become a Princess Consort. We don't need no longer see her in swimming suit.
And the second pic...IF that is not an attempt to make her look like Grace, please people, be kind and explain to me what is it. Thank you very much.

But Nathalie Cox, she lives on the French Riviera. Are you saying that after the wedding she should NEVER wear a bathing suit in public again?? Why not?

Both Grace and Caroline and Stephanie were photographed on the beach in bathing suits.

Should Princess Charlene wear a muumuu to the beach to avoid comparisons? Or bluejeans only?

As for the photo in the evening gown, just because she wears a lovely strapless gown and pulls her hair into a chignon doesn't mean she is channelling Grace Kelly.

Women wore chignons and strapless diaphanous gowns long before Grace did.

Whatever. Is quite clear to me that Palace PR is trying to sell her in states because their wedding is not making the big noise they thought it was going to make.

And of course she can wear swimm suits. But for a photoshoot? Really?
And the gown...maybe it was something to be meant romantic style but they fail everytime. The hairdo is very much like Grace. They could have dressed her in other dress and with other hair style.

Okay...I see what you mean about the photoshoot in a bathing suit and I agree...I don't see the the need for those anymore.

Unless it's to show the world that she still has a great body.

Trust me, after the babies start coming CW might want to look back at these photos for a sense of nostalgia!

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit ?? She will be coming off the pill first... And he's 53....

Regarding beachwear, this type of clothing doesn't do her any favours...

It goes without saying that women were doing the last Charlene pose long BEFORE and AFTER Grace. But I guess since he isn't marrying any of them.....

I agree about the swimsuit issue but again....Charlene isn't the reigning soveriegn of Monaco...Albert is.

I actually think the last picture is stunning and beautiful.

Last edited:
Although Charlene looks stunning in some of the recent photo shoots, I am beginning to find this is overkill & not the best way of projecting the consort of a reigning Prince. No amount of beautiful outfits & interesting photos can drum up the interest which Monaco seems to be courting unless the person behind the image engages our interest - She may well achieve this overtime, but for the moment I think she should focus more on learning French.

Without a doubt there is a need for a better PR person in Monaco.

Instead of sitting for these countless interviews, Charlene should have done none. Create an air of mystery or something. I hate to bring up comparisons but Monaco could have learned something from Britain (even if the interest in the princely familyand the size of the countries are vastly different). Until Kate did her engagement interview, you barely knew what she sounded like.

Now we know too much about Charlene or rather its the same repetitive track.

Zonk, you hit the nail on the head !

From time immemorial, kings, queens, princes, emperors and the like ... they knew how to build up an aura, a mystique....

To this day, Queen Elizabeth hands out the Maundy money .... a personal and much treasured gift from the monarch.

Charlemagne had the same effect on his people.... kingship conferred by God...

COMPARE Monaco: a prince with two unplanned children..... need I go on ?

The UK has a large press and a large population; Monaco has to go outside its country for coverage. For the size of it's country, I think Monaco has outstanding press coverage.

Its not the press coverage per se but the actual press.

What is the point of having these constant interviews and photo sessions? To drum up interest in Charlene?

People should be interested in her just because she is marrying Albert. No more no less.

There has been a lot of interest in royal brides to be in countries (Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, etc.) and they didn't have this type of press. The press that they did have was the same people talking and guessing about Maxima, Mary, Kate etc because they might have read something about her or taken a class with her 10 years ago. It wasn't the royal bride to be.

The only swimming shots of Charlene floating in the internet should be pics she took pre engagement or on vacation. So we can all discuss whether or not she is allowed some sort of privacy. We should know that Albert and Charlene want kids based on one interview, not the conflicting statements of two to three interviews.

Renata summed it up perfectly....an air of mystery. Frankly, if the PR department had been doing a better job there wouldn't be the Charlene bashing that still goes on. Again, I hate to compare people but they could have learned from Maxima (engagement interview done in Dutch), Mary (who used a little Danish in her interview but enough that people understood her and didn't hold it against her) and Kate (you were thinking...omg...that's they way her voice sounds).

My point is this...Charlene seems like a likeable person. The lack of access to her via interviews or photos that are taken because she is out and about and with Albert should have been enough for people to seek information on her. Who is this Charlene person? How can I learn more about her.

Last edited:
Ths is such poppycock. She is stunning. Each does things their way. The BRF see themsleves as very high and mighty. They are no different than any of the others, they just see themselves that way. The ignorance of Divine Right, is mind boggling.

None of this is anything to do with the BRF. They have made their own mistakes, but right here and now, we're discussing the Monaco bunch, and the way they operate.

Constantly comparing the BRF with Monaco is tedious and doesn't carry the discussion further.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit ?? She will be coming off the pill first... And he's 53....

Regarding beachwear, this type of clothing doesn't do her any favours...

???

I think something got lost in translation...I was making a half joke about not looking the same way in beach wear many years from now after several children.

I didn't mean to imply that she will be pregnant by the end of summer or anything...even though CW herself is hinting that she wants to start as soon as possible.;)

As for the overglut of publicity, I think it would have been different if the WillKat engagement and wedding had not come along to sort of steal Monaco's thunder...maybe with all the massive interest and publicity in WillKat, the Prince and his "people" feel the need to play catch up?:ermm:

ICAM with Zonk that they need better publicists. There have been too many interviews and photoshoots, though admittedly not here in the American press. We won't see another CW interview until the July issue of American Vogue.

Lastly, great point by EllyC...all it would have taken is one interview by CW, given in French. It would not have needed to be a long one, and her French would not have been perfect..but it would have gone a long way toward building goodwill and emanating charm, like previous Royal fiancees.

All the flashy photoshoots in the world cannot take the place of that.

Last edited:
Charlene would give the interviews alone, but the prince is with her and he speaks a lot, she speaks in english, he speaks in french to the french tv, the palace is agree, the photos we will see on Vogue in July, they will be published in july after the wedding, the palace is agree. There is no scandal, when we remembered the scandals of Caroline and Stephanie on the beach with the breast naked. You joked over the wedding of Charlene and Albert which did not interesse nobody, now Zonk says there are too much news but the medias are asking interviews to the couple and not the contrary, the couple is not knocking at the doors of the medias. Besides the british wedding, it is nothing, every day during months, we were overdosed by the news of the english couple and the Middleton'family and it goes on with this Pippa. the report asked at every interviews to Charlene about the children or about the heir, she says they want a family. I remember when she answered in july " about the beak" when PPDA asked her about the children, what the same persons said.
Charlene is beautiful on the photos in Vogue and I think she has no lessons to receive of you. If she was an american girl and not a south africa, you would kiss the photos

Charlene would give the interviews alone, but the prince is with her and he speaks a lot, she speaks in english, he speaks in french to the french tv, the palace is agree, the photos we will see on Vogue in July, they will be published in july after the wedding, the palace is agree. There is no scandal, when we remembered the scandals of Caroline and Stephanie on the beach with the breast naked. You joked over the wedding of Charlene and Albert which did not interesse nobody, now Zonk says there are too much news but the medias are asking interviews to the couple and not the contrary, the couple is not knocking at the doors of the medias. Besides the british wedding, it is nothing, every day during months, we were overdosed by the news of the english couple and the Middleton'family and it goes on with this Pippa. the report asked at every interviews to Charlene about the children or about the heir, she says they want a family. I remember when she answered in july " about the beak" when PPDA asked her about the children, what the same persons said.
Charlene is beautiful on the photos in Vogue and I think she has no lessons to receive of you. If she was an american girl and not a south africa, you would kiss the photos

Do you know for fact that the PR palace is not paying vogue and all those TV channels to give interviews of them?
Really?
I'm sorry to dissapoint you, and some Charlene fans here, but Charlene doesn't have the IT factor. If she had it, there would be no need of so many useless interviews, in which they basically repeat the same rehearsed answers. Even Journal du Dimanche said that the questions had to be sent the day before...that to rehearse the answers they will give: "We can't wait for the wedding, we can't wait for children"
They don't say anything interesting.
After the "Give us break!" Charlene wants to have so soon children? Really?

And BE CAREFULL about what you say of her being american or south african. I don't care if she was argentinian. I would still have the same opinion i have of her.

You seem to dislike her and that is you right, Ms. Cox. Many of us think she is stunning. What did William or Kate ever say that was interesting? Untfortunately, there are those who keep pointing to the interest in the "other", wedding. So, you are right Apples and Oranges.

I agree with Nathalie -- partly anyway. While I do like Charlene and believe she has a great deal of potential, it appears at times as if she's become a puppet in the hands of a pre-wedding/Monaco PR machine. Perhaps a lapse of judgment on the part of PA and Palace advisers are to blame, but Charlene has enough savvy to assert herself. She should not be posing in swimsuits (it's simply not dignified for a princess-to-be), and yes, it's imperative that she puts more effort into mastering French, or at least indicate that she's trying. It can't be an easy job to live up to all the expectations, granted, but she'd be better off keeping it 'real' and spontaneous. I suspect she doesn't always have much say in matters... But I hope that, after the wedding, she would be given a chance to grow on different levels, to prove that she can be a worthy princess consort, and be the kind of woman others look up to and respect/admire.

You seem to dislike her and that is you right, Ms. Cox. Many of us think she is stunning. What did William or Kate ever say that was interesting? Untfortunately, there are those who keep pointing to the interest in the "other", wedding. So, you are right Apples and Oranges.
They didn't say anything interesting either. And i'm not comparing Charlene with Kate. You are doing it. Actually, i never compared those two. What for?
But it's ok, some people like Charlene, some people don't. I just try to say (and i might not be very able with this, because we always end in an eternal discussion) is that Charlene, or better say, the PR Palace, should let her stay alone and stop doing things that contradicts themselves. Like, when they say they want a simple wedding...when we obviosuly know is not a simple wedding. Does the monegasques know how many money is Albert spending on this big party? Because that's what he calls it, a big party. Not ceremoy, not marriage. But party.

Anyway, i think we all agree at least in the point that they need another PR people right now, because what they are doing with Charlene is not fair to her.

Nathalie, I find myself agreeing with you.
Let's not blame PA or CW - they are not the PR Machine.
It's the Palace and all its flunkeys.......

My thinking is this, there has been negative talk about her first interview in French and she probably, at the point, would prefer to speak her native language so there isn't any misunderstanding with her thoughts, feelings and passion. I don't believe she is trying to be rude by not communicating in French but she wants to be understood and taken for what she truly feels and not misunderstood because of nuiance. I don't think she will never converse in French but right now she wants to be understood and taken for who she is. You really can't blam her for that.

I like both ladies but I think if folks are comparing the 2 it's a mistake. Before and after the British royal wedding alot of the interest was manufactured here in the U.S. not be huge public interest by huge interest by the American press. And IMO even post wedding the interest isn't nearly as high as the press makes it seem. Don't get me wrong, I know people now have a heigtened interest that encompasses more of people post-wedding than before. But IMO that huge hype is overstated. Amongst my friends, young kids and work colleagues there is only a passive interest in William and Kate. Not the frenzy that the coverage would lead one to believe. Unfortunately more people I talk to know more about Kim Kardashian's engagement ring and coming wedding than about either Charlene or Kate (because she's American IMO). I think that there's slightly less hype surrounding Prince Albert & Charlene's wedding coming from the American press core. I do agree the number of interviews given by Albert & Charlene is a bit much but I'm not willing to disparage the attempts to garner interest by the palace. It's nice getting to know Charlene given that she's new to the royal scene. JMO.

:ermm:
Zonk, you hit the nail on the head !

From time immemorial, kings, queens, princes, emperors and the like ... they knew how to build up an aura, a mystique....

To this day, Queen Elizabeth hands out the Maundy money .... a personal and much treasured gift from the monarch.

Charlemagne had the same effect on his people.... kingship conferred by God...

COMPARE Monaco: a prince with two unplanned children..... need I go on ?

I can't think of one European Royal family today that has 100% successfully maintained the mystique and aura of the past.

Much of it is due to the inevitable glut of information available about them via the Internet...and the other half of it is due to their own scandals, bad behavior, etc. Familiarity breeds contempt, as the old saying goes.

Then their are the commoner marriages...we have entered the Era of Commoner Princesses and Princes with the exception of one or two. Commoner marriages in themselves are not bad and can even sometimes be a good thing, because to some extent they engage the population's interest.

But there are commoners...then there are COMMONERS...and imo it has gone a looong way toward eroding any sense of mystery about them. :sad:

So it's not your grandma's Royal family anymore, and some of the Royals(like PA in this case) are reduced to playing the role of PR persons to drum up interest and keep their own monarchies appearing relevant.

Last edited:
It is normal that there are many interviews about Prince Albert and Charlene, and in this last weeks, there will be another what you would say, The people here who do not like her would have like to say, look' she do not interest nobody, she is so lazzy idiot and so,' you said during the last years so nevative things about Charlene, she will never marry Albert and now she will marry at the end of this month, you are angry, so many news about her, and a thing you can not accept, they want to have a family my god!!, but if you do not news about her go on an other board and read about of an other family you would like because untill middle of july you will have other news Renata, Nathalie and Zonk, and think to the Cambridge couple who overdosed us during this last months.
I received many privat messages here who think like me but do not say nothing but they will post during the wedding
Good bye

Excerpted from MoonMaiden 23's Post #646 "...all it would have taken is one interview by CW, given in French. It would not have needed to be a long one, and her French would not have been perfect..but it would have gone a long way toward building goodwill and emanating charm..."

Didn't Charlene do that a few months ago and she was viciously ridiculed because her French was not so good? Yes, she did. I don't blame her for not doing another one.

I agree that the WillKat thing was way overdone by the American press. Most people I know weren't that into it. That being said those same people did get up on the morning of the wedding to watch. Post wedding there does seem to be a little more interest.

Monaco has always done things their own way. Remember that PA is half American and had all of his university and marketing training in the US so it is not surprising that he adopts American methods of promotion.

It is normal that there are many interviews about Prince Albert and Charlene, and in this last weeks, there will be another what you would say, The people here who do not like her would have like to say, look' she do not interest nobody, she is so lazzy idiot and so,' you said during the last years so nevative things about Charlene, she will never marry Albert and now she will marry at the end of this month, you are angry, so many news about her, and a thing you can not accept, they want to have a family my god!!, but if you do not news about her go on an other board and read about of an other family you would like because untill middle of july you will have other news Renata, Nathalie and Zonk, and think to the Cambridge couple who overdosed us during this last months.
I received many privat messages here who think like me but do not say nothing but they will post during the wedding
Good bye

It is NOT normal to have so many interviews. Sorry for comparing with other houses, but when a royal couple was about to marry (no matter william and Kate, Maxima and W-A, Mary and Frederik, etc) they didn't gave so many interviews. They only gave the interview of the day of the engagement and that was it. As it should be. Thing that Albert and Charlene didn't, and are trying to compensate by giving a lot of interviews now. Without any substantial content. It's quite obvious they are going to say they love each other and want kids. They are not being innovative.

Seems that you don't like the Cambridges, everytime i critizice Charlene you say something negative about Kate. And as far as i know, this part of the board is about Charlene and Albert, isn't it?

Anyway, i do want to see this wedding. And i will see it. And if i want to share my opinion here, i will do it too. Sorry melina.

Nathalie Cox, I don't find it abnormal. The wedding will be held within 3 weeks and French, German, American media are interested in th betrothed couple. Advertising of 'the other wedding ' belongs to this event. I think many channels approached them to give interviews. I don't believe CW and PA are very fond of giving interviews. Unfortunately the want to say "no". yes, I think it is true that less people will watch television on 1st and 2nd July. It has many reasons. Kate and William had a very tradional wedding. It was very formal, followed by many strict protocol rules. As I imagine this events will be more informal. It is a new fact that unlike other recents royal weddings and the wedding of Grace Kelly and Prince Ranier will not be held in a cathedral,the religious ceremony will take place in the courtyard of the palace. It is made for having fun, and enjoying a Monegasques show.

Last edited:
Excerpted from MoonMaiden 23's Post #646 "...all it would have taken is one interview by CW, given in French. It would not have needed to be a long one, and her French would not have been perfect..but it would have gone a long way toward building goodwill and emanating charm..."

Didn't Charlene do that a few months ago and she was viciously ridiculed because her French was not so good? Yes, she did. I don't blame her for not doing another one.

I disagree. She said a few words in French("Je voudrais decouvrir la France!" :lol:) with her fiance at her side, then she threw in the towel.

I think the harshest criticism she received for that interview were for things she said in English..."Give us a break!" in response to a question about future children didn't exactly melt the hearts of listeners worldwide, I think. :sad:

I personally had no problem with the few words in French that she DID speak.

I completely agree with FanofMonaco that the American press were more into the WillKat wedding than most people I spoke with...but make no mistake.

I would rather sit and watch the WillKat wedding played backward with the sound turned off than watch ANYTHING featuring Kim Kardashian. I couldn't care less about her!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom