Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love what they've done to the old building. Difficult to incorporate old and new styles, but they've done well. Would love to see if they use some of the old furnishings from the original times of 1940's. The chandeliers look great all polished up. At least they can change some of the art work if they want. The port of Nyhaven is immediately recognizable. Does anyone know when they move in?

As far as I know, some time after the summer break...

According to the plans, they are going to have an outdoor pool in the garden.
I believe Mary and Frederik will have no objections to other members of the DRF going for a swim, when they are not around themselves.
I can well imagin Prince Henrik and a dachshund or two refreshing themselves in the pool during a hot summer day. :lol:

They are also going to have a rather large pool. Has that been completed?? Will it be an indoor or a outdoor pool??
Because it is going to be part of the CP Couple's residence, will other royal members of the family be able to make free of it, or is it considered just the CP Couples private home, and they would have to wait for a invitation ??
They also have an outdoor pool at their Khancellory House which I believee is for their use only, except by invitation

I thought it was supposed to be a kitchen but I don't see any appliances. I could see it being a butler's pantry/staging area, but then the animals on the wall seem a little out of place if it's not a child-orientated area.

It is a pantry! It's almost ajacent to their daily dining room - so the information says - where they can seat around 20. The theme on the murals in the pantry is hunting, so it's definetely not a childrens room! Queen Ingrid used to a have pantry there too, but it looked more like a kitchen back then, if a photo on the information stand is anything to go by! The proper kitchen is in the basement by the way. It is the room where the old beautiful stuccato ceiling was found, as Userdane mentioned.

Viv

I think this would be for guests or special dinners, i think there private quaters is in the 3erd floor so there they would have their everyday kitchen!for what i read

I think this would be for guests or special dinners, i think there private quaters is in the 3erd floor so there they would have their everyday kitchen!for what i read

Erm... that's the information for all to read on a placard in the dining room! I was wondering about it too, Ashelen, but there you go. The room is not that big (well not by royal standards at least! :)).

Of course it does not rule out that they have some sort of dining facility on the private floor; they won't volunteer that information.

There are two dining rooms in the two lower floors; the above mentioned dining room on the first floor (the socalled "beletage") and the banquet hall (which seats ca. 50 60) on the ground floor.

Viv

Lancchick,

Thanks for the link--very fascinating piece. When the royal couple move in, does that mean the public tours stop? It appears that the palace has become a combination art museum/royal palace. Although the art looks fantastic, I am not sure I would be comfortable being surrounded by some of that art year round.

Lancchick,

Thanks for the link--very fascinating piece. When the royal couple move in, does that mean the public tours stop? It appears that the palace has become a combination art museum/royal palace. Although the art looks fantastic, I am not sure I would be comfortable being surrounded by some of that art year round.
yes, the public tours will stop at the beginning of August. The period was extended from May because of the overwhelming public interest.

I have heard from people who have seen it that it is impressive and that the artwork work really well.
If they want a pause from the artwork they must have lots of other rooms they kan resort to.:)

UserDane,

thanks for the reply and additional information. You are certainly right, there are plenty of rooms for the couple to enjoy. I hope one day to visit Denmark and see the sights. It looks like a lovely country.

I am looking forweard to visitng Copenhagen again soon, and visiting Amalienborg

I have only now watched the video from the link Paty so kindly provided in February. It was absolutely fascinating. I renovated my own old (for Australia - over 100 years) large home some twenty five years ago, and recall the same problem with the little wooden slats under the plaster walls and the expertise needed to repair so many of the walls and ceilings and the intricate plaster decorations. It was wonderful to see the infinite patience of the women repairing the needlework of the precious old tapestries, the mending and cleaning of beautiful old chandeliers that had been stored for decades in the attic, the skill of the painters restoring beauty to the ceilings and walls, and the artistry of those who were creating more modern magic with new canvases and murals to be enjoyed by Danes and visitors for decades to come.
One can only imagine the joy the Royal family and their guests will receive from this incredible renovation. Well done Denmark!

I am looking forweard to visitng Copenhagen again soon, and visiting Amalienborg
We were in Denmark in July and took the palace tour. It looks wonderful in person! Much better than the pictures in magazines. It was such a treat for me.

We visited the palace in March and it was wonderfull. You can't judge from the pics, I didn't like the black painting from what I saw before the visit, but it is sooooo different in real life.
And the pink psychedelic ceiling isn't intrusive at all. :)
But what I didn't like on real life, too, was the red one in Fred's study...

Btw. the walls are covered with fabric and the paintings were done on the fabric :)

I visited in July and I honestly didn't like it very much. The Palace itself is beautiful, as are the chandeliers, but I really wasn't crazy about most of the new modern art on the walls.

I think with all that modern art the palace is no longer a palace, it's lost it's integrity! I feel that royals shouldn't try to be like you and me they should be royals! If they wanted to put this hideous art put it in their private suites not in the main reception rooms. When there's no difference between Royals and regular people, what's the point of having Royals?

I think they were doing their best to support Danish art. Danes are known for modern art. That is why they used it, imo. They are trying to add some modernity to things. I think it is unusual for a palace to have such works, esp as many as they did. It's not my taste, but it was something different. I think we are just all used to the traditional concept of palaces etc.

Well, what we today call traditional was at their own time edgy and new and different, too :) Royals from all times promoted and encouraged "modern" artists :)

I presume soon the will move into the new homes

IIRC the floors need to get a brush up, as so many people visited the palace. I think the move is getting a bit delayed by that. :)

I was bemused and disappointed too about modern art but for the moment I am used to it. I think that people are not so disturbed about modern art as they are disturbed that modern art is in public rooms... But I think that royals must be modern and they must connect traditional with modern things so...

It's their home, they conserved it beautifully and added some new and favourite art so... there is no reason to be angry with them...

I think with all that modern art the palace is no longer a palace, it's lost it's integrity! I feel that royals shouldn't try to be like you and me they should be royals! If they wanted to put this hideous art put it in their private suites not in the main reception rooms. When there's no difference between Royals and regular people, what's the point of having Royals?

I dont really understand the reasoning for this opinion (respectively). A palace isn't a palace because of the art which may hang, it's palace for its size, it's function, it's history and to have modern art incorporated does not take away from that. It can't.

By your ideology royals cannot appreciate modern art in an open space and should only ever wish to have the portraits of ancestors and mythical beings displayed throughout stately rooms. Why? What possible reason can be given to suggest modern art is unworthy of being seen in such a setting? It's not offensive, it's vibrant, it's modern, it's purely Danish...

And how are they "trying" to be like you and I? It has nothing to do with you and I, or anyone. It purely comes down to what they wished to have commissioned for the palace which will now function as their permanent city residence (even when Frederik becomes King).

And the beauty of the artwork is that it can be removed to reveal walls that look like any other.

It's really such a non issue by all accounts.

^^^
Well really I still think it looks hideous but since its their choice its fine since they're the ones who have to live and work there. I just hope other royals don't catch on to this trend and throw hundreds of years of history out the window...

^^^
Well really I still think it looks hideous but since its their choice its fine since they're the ones who have to live and work there. I just hope other royals don't catch on to this trend and throw hundreds of years of history out the window...
you are of course entitled to your opinion but it is a shame if you continue debating based on false information. Hundreds of years of history was not thrown out the window - on the contrary, the palace has been restored to the original plans and layout of the rooms - The Palace Then and Now - Palaces and Properties Agency

^^^

You can think what you like, of course, but the erroneous statements you (and others, it must be sad) affirm as facts are anything but. And information has been provided on more than one occasion by members of these forums which clearly explains that the Palace has been restored to it's original outlay.

You may not appreciate the use of contemporary art in a rococo setting with empire interior, but that does not consolidate your theory that 'hundreds of years of history' has been thrown out the window. It just means you don't like the choice of art which as we know, can be removed as it is not a part of the structural interior.

At one point the decor and design of the palace was "modern" and I am sure some oldtimers thought the "new" design was hideous. Modern today is tradition and historical tomorrow.

At one point the decor and design of the palace was "modern" and I am sure some oldtimers thought the "new" design was hideous. Modern today is tradition and historical tomorrow.

You're absoletely right :)
Perhaps we might assume that critism now, bodes well for the way the artwork will be perceived some generations from now?

I have to say I am in agreement with jonc93 to an extent. But since the Crown Prince Couple didn't ask us for our opinion on there home I guess our opinions are mute.....HEHEHE!!(not my cup of coffee)!

Back
Top Bottom