Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Add strapless dresses to that list....so sick of them and wedding dresses that are negligees.

LaRae

Oh, absolutely and while we're at it off-the-shoulder gowns whose neckline begins at the same level as the lace sleeves . . . . . at armpit level. :eek: They look half dressed and give the impression that gravity has taken over and everything is slipping down millimetre by inevitable millimetre! Looking at them is like living on the edge of a volcano!

Yes you can add those to the list too.

LaRae

Pranter, do I remember you have experience with a bridal salon—you must have seen it all! It’s overwhelming!

I am loving the descriptions of various wedding gowns. I remember my mother being horrified the first time she went to a wedding and bride wore strapless gown or a neighbor's daughter who copied the bridal gown of Tom Hanks wife Rita Wilson who's skirt was so short we were glad the head table had a floor length cloth. We all have such different tastes. I am probably the only woman alive that hated Grace Kelly's gown. Just found it too lacy and fussy. Wasn't fond of Diana's either. I also agree that a classy 1940's "cut on the bias" gown would look so brilliant on Meghan. Will be very interesting.

From the Cosmopolitan magazine interview with Meghan that has been cited on Meghan's Mirror blog, Meghan spoke about her wedding dress sensibilities in connection with the wedding dress she helped choose for her character to wear on Suits (in season 5).

Meghan said the dress she wore for that episode was nice to dress up in, but that it was not exactly her style. She mentioned having a simple, classic, pared-down style with a modern twist. She also said:
"I personally prefer wedding dresses that are whimsical or subtly romantic. Delphine Manivet and Christos Costarellos are faves of mine for their uniqueness and beauty. And I will always be a fan of Elie Saab. J. Mendel is spectacular as well, especially for more structural designs."

Meghan will probably combine her personal style with royal tradition and protocol to some degree.

... I also agree that a classy 1940's "cut on the bias" gown would look so brilliant on Meghan. Will be very interesting.

Here are some examples of that style:
https://www.pinterest.com/0001blue/1940s-inspired-wedding-gowns/

Last edited:
I hope she bypasses 99 percent of those dresses.

LaRae

^^ Yeah, I wasn't particularly struck by the specific designs of any of those 1940s style dresses either. But perhaps the bias-cut updated in a modern way could be one direction the style Meghan's dress might take.

I think the biggest cues would be Meghan saying she likes pared-down and classic with a modern twist. Therefore, no frills, but with attention paid to cut, fabrication, structure, silhouette, and simple but unique details.

eghan will probably combine her personal style with royal tradition and protocol to some degree. Here are some examples of that style: [url said:

WOW not one of those so-called- 1940 wedding dresses are anything like I remember and attended. Heavens, not a one even comes close! Must be a current designer's idea of the 1940 as certainly not correct.

I think most of us are just unsure what to expect from her....her tastes are simple but then she wears something not simple (engagement photo dress) that seems out of character to her sleek/streamlined look.

The Pronovias that has been posted here is probably my favorite look for her and then the Ramona Keeveza.

LaRae

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/bridalwear-articles/beaded-wedding-dresses_1298.htm

Some of the dresses in the above link, posted earlier, certainly have attributes of a simple, classic, pared-down style, with distinct touches (beading)

I think most of us are just unsure what to expect from her....her tastes are simple but then she wears something not simple (engagement photo dress) that seems out of character to her sleek/streamlined look. The Pronovias that has been posted here is probably my favorite look for her and then the Ramona Keeveza.

Indeed @Pranter, Meghan's choice is supposed to be a mystery right up to the last moment. ;) That's why we speculate and await with bated breath, if we are into weddings and wedding dresses, and above all, if we enjoy the pomp and excitement of royal weddings. ?

I don't think Meghan's engagement photo fanciful gown is an indication of anything at odds with her aesthetic. She apparently wanted to have grand and whimsical fun for the photo shoot. The styling was classic, with a touch of luxe. The skirt was feathery, but still styled simply with a slim silhouette. And it was black with the see-through mesh top decorated with a gorgeous embroidered pattern. The styling and color are reminiscent of the party dress Meghan wore to the Christmas luncheon at Buckingham Palace.

I agree re the Pronovias that everyone exclaimed about earlier. The only issue is that it's long-sleeved, which I doubt Meghan will wear in May. So maybe something like that Pronovias, but with short sleeves. The below Pronovias previously posted has lighter see-through sleeves and I like this styling too for Meghan:

Is this the Pronovias you were referring to which everyone likes?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbZKh2EDGxK/?taken-by=millanova_official

Here's a side view of the same dress, where you can see the deep V plunging back:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcaZLhpjyMC/?taken-by=millanova_official

A very lovely dress (made of crepe, so it likely wrinkles). The see-through ribbed-seam arms detail is nice, and the boatneck style bodice is also very nice. I just think long sleeves are impractical for May and the crepe would not work either. Otherwise, it's stunning to look at the pared-down style aesthetic that seems to suit Meghan's stated preferences.

Is this the Romona Keveza dress you are referring to?
https://www.tradesy.com/i/romona-ke...MIyZj2tIHW2QIVkkwNCh12dgVAEAYYASABEgKPVvD_BwE

Which 1940s style bias-cut dressings are you thinking of @Winnie?

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the Pronovias in your first link there...it doesn't have enough presence and no on the other link...the Pronovias I'm talking about is this one :)

https://www.pronovias.com/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

With some adjustments for the time of year....this dress has presence ..can you imagine with a gorgeous tiara....earrings...maybe a elegant necklace?

And if she really wanted to go all out and princess it up....this Keveza:

https://www.theknot.com/fashion/rk525-romona-keveza-collection-wedding-dress

A gorgeous tiara ...a stunning necklace....

LaRae

The Pronovis gown is beautiful. A tiara would be fine, as would earrings, but the neckline would have to be reshaped to accommodate a necklace, IMO. Should she contact me about her new gown, I'd suggest she stay as far away, style-wise, from her first wedding gown. Then again, she is on the downhill towards 40, so a mature style is in order, just sayin'.

Last edited:
You will let us know if she contacts you right??? LOL

I agree, nothing even resembling her beach-y wedding dress...honestly it wouldn't even work in the venue she's getting married in so I don't think that is likely to happen.

LaRae

That one from the Knot has potential too. I like the overlay.

LaRae

You will let us know if she contacts you right??? LOL

I agree, nothing even resembling her beach-y wedding dress...honestly it wouldn't even work in the venue she's getting married in so I don't think that is likely to happen.

LaRae

I sure will let you know if she contacts me (after they administer the smelling salts!). I'm sure she'll get plenty of advice. Although with her favorite gown being the nightie that Carolyn Bessett wore to her wedding, you never know. She could throw off her 35 lb. beaded gown and walk down the aisle in a chemise.

Do they still make smelling salts?

I don't see that slip dress even being an option and I think Meghan realizes that is a no-go for the location and type of wedding she's having.

LaRae

^^ I agree re Meghan not going for that lingerie style dress. I think Meghan feels that it worked very beautifully and simply on Carolyn Bessette, but not that it's something Meghan necessarily would wear herself. In some of her fashion interviews, Meghan has said that she admires Gwyneth Paltrow's ability to dress for her own body. From that admission I get that Meghan is very much into understanding what works for her own body and aesthetic. So, just because she likes a style on someone may not mean she would wear the exact same for herself. She seems to like the clean simple lines and the elegance of Bessette's dress and how it flows. I do not think Meghan would wear something like that for a royal wedding. Meghan understands the need to be appropriate for the occasion.

But oh yes, this is the Pronovias, as you linked. It is the one that many seem to like. I didn't remember it exactly, so thanks for sharing again. ?
https://www.pronovias.com/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

It is very sophisticated and lovely with clean simple lines and exquisite detail (the asymmetrial neckline and embroidery detail on one side). The dress drapes beautifully down the waist and through the skirt. The back hammock-line draping detail is gorgeous.

The only issue is that the skirt would have to be a hemmed in a way where it doesn't drag the floor so much on the front and sides, in order to prevent anyone from stepping on the hem going down the aisle! Also, I would have 3/4 length sleeves with asymmetrical cut hem and perhaps a slight slit on the sides with small embroidered closures matching the neckline embroidery.

The Romona Keveza blush pink gown you linked, I do not like as much @Pranter. Of course, the color would have to be white or cream. Prince Harry will be in his dark navy uniform I believe, with red stripes down the pants and the red and yellow sash across his shoulder maybe. Therefore the dress will be white, off-white or pure white. I think the skirt design of that Romona Keveza is beautiful, but I don't think Meghan will go for that much puffery in a skirt. The same design perhaps but with a slimmed down skirt would look nicer on Meghan. But the neckline and thick straps over the model's bony shoulders does not look nice. The bodice and neckline would have to be styled completely differently, and it would need either cap sleeves or perhaps the off-the-shoulder boat neckline style we see in the Mary's Bridal Couture dress, which yes, I also really like @O-H Anglophile!
https://www.theknot.com/fashion/mb4010-couture-damour-wedding-dress
The embroidery and layering is lovely, and the skirt has simple slim lines, but not too slim and not too puffy.

Here's Harry in his dress uniform:

I think there would have to be adjustments on either dress style for sure...the Pronovias would need things altered to fit the time of year and definately shortened in the front.

The Keveza is just a fantasy dress if Meghan decided to go all all ballgown. Color is easily changed along with neckline etc. The skirt and material are what catches my eye as much as anything.

She will be able to wear one of several shades of off white to cream ..which I think cream will look great on her skintones. And anything in that range will go with Harry's blues.

LaRae

:previous: Oh yes, I agree with everything you said @Pranter. That's what I was thinking too about that Romona Keveza blush pink with the nicely styled skirt. It would look so nice styled like that but just a tad less puffy and slightly slimmer (with a completely different bodice and some type of sleeves). You are right about the shades of cream or white too. They will definitely have a white, off-white, or cream white shade that enhances Meghan's skin tone. And I hope for a really nice veil. However, I wonder if Meghan will wear the veil covering her face heading into church?

I think @KittyAtlanta is referring to this Keveza dress as one that Meghan would stay away from because of its similarity (sleeveless/strapless bodice, and silver decoration around the waist) to Meghan's beach wedding dress:
https://www.tradesy.com/i/romona-ke...MIyZj2tIHW2QIVkkwNCh12dgVAEAYYASABEgKPVvD_BwE

The second dress in this link also has a silver beaded waistline -- anything like that is definitely out.
https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/bridalwear-articles/beaded-wedding-dresses_1298.htm

The seventh dress down with the ruffled skirt and beaded illusion top is rather pretty, and the skirt is not too ruffled or puffy. Still, I think Meghan won't necessarily go bare arms for her wedding. But who knows. Meghan does seem to enjoy fairly simple lines and a pared-down aesthetic. And yet in the gorgeous St. George's Chapel venue, the dress really has to stand out and make a statement.

Last edited:
Hard to know if she will wear the veil down or not...I think it's a nice look to have it down then raised by the father (or groom depending on your view of things) just no blusher!

I hope she has an fabulous veil with details perhaps done by the Royal embroiders (Camilla visited them a few months ago).

After seeing her in Wales wearing that Bateau collar top...that is exactly what I'd love to see on her dress, I think would look absolutely fabulous on her.

LaRae

I’ll add my two cents, not a fan of the coat gowns!

:sad: I'll just be the lonely fan then with my appreciation of the coat dresses. (sniff)

TLLK, if it makes you feel any better, I like some of Carole Middleton’s coatdresses—just not for a gown. Sorry

I think a coat dress would wear Meghan...she's pretty petite as it is. It's kinda out of style too.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom