The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a pretty dress, but not when it looks like the wearer is going to burst out of it at any moment!
I agree about the hair, it does look dirty and unkempt.
And bare legs in this weather?

Love the coat and shoe...really like her hair, the bag is nice. I'm not convinced about the dress..it's a great color but I think a size up would of been a better look or without ruching on the sides..

LaRae

Shе looks like a pregnant Kardashian :( I prefer ladylike look for British princesses.

It's a pretty dress, but not when it looks like the wearer is going to burst out of it at any moment!
I agree about the hair, it does look dirty and unkempt.
And bare legs in this weather?

It's about 50 degrees today in London from what I could find. She's been wearing clothing that run to the lighter weight side since she moved to the U.K. so perhaps she runs hot even when not pregnant...she may really run hot now that she is.

I run around in a light jacket even during winter unless it gets really cold and I live in the midwest. I never wear sweaters or heavy clothing.

LaRae

It's about 50 degrees today in London from what I could find.

Just for us on the 'C scale, that's about 10'C. It's getting a lot colder this evening, so I'd expect to see her in a coat/cape tonight. :flowers:

It's about 50 degrees today in London from what I could find. She's been wearing clothing that run to the lighter weight side since she moved to the U.K. so perhaps she runs hot even when not pregnant...she may really run hot now that she is.

I run around in a light jacket even during winter unless it gets really cold and I live in the midwest. I never wear sweaters or heavy clothing.

LaRae

Really? I live in Pennsylvania and I am in multi-layers all winter! :flowers:

But you're right, some people just feel warm no matter the temperature.

Shе looks like a pregnant Kardashian :( I prefer ladylike look for British princesses.

I completely agree- such messy look (especialy the hair) doesn't suit a duchess! Not to mention chicken bare legs...:bang:

Just for us on the 'C scale, that's about 10'C. It's getting a lot colder this evening, so I'd expect to see her in a coat/cape tonight. :flowers:

It said 48 degrees F in London today....so....:D

LaRae

I completely agree- such messy look (especialy the hair) doesn't suit a duchess! Not to mention chicken bare legs...:bang:

Someone forgot to tell Anne, Kate etc that bare legs aren't duchess-like. :rolleyes:

Really folks..Meghan has yet to do or wear/not wear anything not already seen before.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

I so agree with you, this is more celebrity look then royal duchess look....when is straight messy hair deemed stylish? And when is bare legs and tight dresses a royal look for any member of any royal family? (..).since when does a royal duchess have to show off anything? (..) at least comb it and have the ends of the hair even.......not a good look duchess!

At least wear stockings with a short dress, Catherine learned that right away after a few disasters with flying dresses.

At least wear stockings with a short dress, Catherine learned that right away after a few disasters with flying dresses.

Unless Meghan's dress is about to fly up, which means bigger problem than stocking, I fail to see how that applies to anything here.

I fail to see how a nice coat and a dress is not all of sudden Kardashians. Or celebrity.

Someone forgot to tell Anne, Kate etc that bare legs aren't duchess-like. :rolleyes:

See now this is what interests me in these forums. I will be the first person to say I don't like an outfit, doesn't matter who it's on, and if i think it's too short I will say so. But then if Catherine for instance wore something just as short tomorrow, I would say that was too short to. My dress length level is the same across all royals. ?

For example Catherine whilst pregnant, certainly not as tight, but as short: https://rebeccastarrbrowndotcom.fil...f-second-wedding-anniversary-duchess-kate.jpg

I do think Meghan wears clothes that are too tight, particularly now she's pregnant but she has worn some questionable pieces before that. She really does need someone to help her understand her changes in shape. :flowers:

See now this is what interests me in these forums. I will be the first person to say I don't like an outfit, doesn't matter who it's on, and if i think it's too short I will say so. But then if Catherine for instance wore something just as short tomorrow, I would say that was too short to. My dress length level is the same across all royals. ?

For example Catherine whilst pregnant, certainly not as tight, but as short: https://rebeccastarrbrowndotcom.fil...f-second-wedding-anniversary-duchess-kate.jpg

I do think Meghan wears clothes that are too tight, particularly now she's pregnant but she has worn some questionable pieces before that. She really does need someone to help her understand her changes in shape. :flowers:

I agree..I've commented on all of them when they wore something that looked too tight or too short (I just commented in Kate's thread about her tight black pants from yesterday).

It's beyond annoying to see folks nitpick Meghan (or Kate) for something they ALL wear/do etc...and then give other royals they like a pass.

LaRae

I think she looks blooming lovely today. This shade looks terrific on her. I agree with some that the dress is a bit snug, but I think this has to do with baby growing rapidly each day. Her hair does not look "dirty". Personally, I prefer her messy bun and her 'up dos' rather than when her hair is down like today.

Lovely coat. It's a repeat.
Love the shoes as usual and they are also repeats.
Cheap dress, really don't like it, but she wore her coat throughout so I didn't have to see much of it.
The bag is ok, as I also hate 'chain mail' style bags.

Thanks for the site on Catherine, I did not like it then what she wore for it was again to short.....be it any royal lady out there wearing dresses/skirts that are to short....Meghan's dress imo is to short and to tight.......that is it, nothing more! It could be the Queen of Neverland for all I care, it is to short and tight! That to me is not what a royal duchess wears, JMHO!

Completely agree. And while I loved the colors that Catherine wore in that picture I agree that it's far too short. Just as Meghan's dress today was far to short and tight. Let's at least be equal opportunity criticizers here, folks. :flowers:

Another angle

Glad to see this coat back - I find the cut to be particularly flattering on Meghan and I enjoyed the monochromatic style of today.

While I am not usually one for tights myself, I do feel this was a pretty brisk look without it for January. I guess, she just doesn't feel comfortable in them. Certainly didn't grow up with it or is used to it in any way. Who knows maybe with time she'll learn to appreciate what nice cosy tights can do on a brisk winter day. :)

I won't even comment on the shortness or the tightness debate by some of the people who never seem to be bothered when other people in the BRF wear them. Constantly. Over years. Pregnant or not. (I do realise that some keep their commentary constant for all ladies so that's a completely fair game. :flowers: )

____
As with several times in the past when Meghan's hair is discussed in such a zealous way, I have to remind myself that it is very likely not meant to be as coded as it sounds. I fail to see how her hair looks 'dirty' and 'unkempt'. Sometimes, I wonder whether people even realise how texture on women of colour works. Meghan is never going to have Catherine's picture perfect Blowout look with our humidity and CERTAINLY not while she is pregnant and can't use keratin treatments for root control. This is how a washed, flat ironed and wavy styled hair of a woman of colour looks. You can simply not like this hairstyle, but some of the language used here can be very strong and easily mistaken as something it is not.

Last edited:
I like the look, an especially lovely color for Meghan. I agree that its a little too tight and too short but give a lot of leeway to pregnant women. Its hard to dress a bump, even with an unlimited budget.

Another angle

Glad to see this coat back - I find the cut to be particularly flattering on Meghan and I enjoyed the monochromatic style of today.

While I am not usually one for tights myself, I do feel this was a pretty brisk look without it for January. I guess, she just doesn't feel comfortable in them. Certainly didn't grow up with it or is used to it in any way. Who knows maybe with time she'll learn to appreciate what nice cosy tights can do on a brisk winter day. :)

I won't even comment on the shortness or the tights debate by some of the people who never seem to be bothered when other people in the BRF wear them. Constantly. Over years. Pregnant or not. (I do realise that some keep their commentary constant for all ladies so that's a completely fair game. :flowers: )

____
As with several times in the past when Meghan's hair is discussed in such a zealous way, I have to remind myself that it is very likely not meant to be as coded as it sounds. I fail to see how her hair looks 'dirty' and 'unkempt'. Sometimes, I wonder whether people even realise how texture on woman of colour works. Meghan is never going to have Catherine's picture perfect Blowout look with our humidity and CERTAINLY not while she is pregnant and can't use keratin treatments for root control. This is how a washed, flat ironed and wavy styled hair of a woman of colour looks. You can simply not like this hairstyle, but some of the language used here can be very strong and easily mistaken as something it is not.

Yes well said on this last part. Perhaps folks need to be more careful in their wording. One can say they don't like her hair without the other more personal type comments.

LaRae

Another angle

I won't even comment on the shortness or the tights debate by some of the people who never seem to be bothered when other people in the BRF wear them. Constantly. Over years. Pregnant or not. (I do realise that some keep their commentary constant for all ladies so that's a completely fair game.)

____
As with several times in the past when Meghan's hair is discussed in such a zealous way, I have remind myself that it is very likely not meant to be as coded as it sounds. I fail to see how her hair looks 'dirty' and 'unkempt' just because it isn't a Brazilian Blowout. Sometimes, I wonder whether people even realise how texture on woman of colour work. Meghan is never going to have Catherine's picture perfect Blowout look with our humidity and CERTAINLY not while she is pregnant and can't use keratin treatments for root control. This is how a washed, flat ironed and wavy styled hair of a woman of colour looks. You can simply not like this hairstyle, but some of the language used here can be very strong and easily mistaken as something it is not.

Completely agree with everything you said. Her hair today looks full and luscious, it just doesn't have much curl to it and it certainly doesn't look dirty. You are also much more diplomatic in your response, because when I saw those comments, I was itching to respond, but the thread would have probably been closed.

As with several times in the past when Meghan's hair is discussed in such a zealous way, I have to remind myself that it is very likely not meant to be as coded as it sounds. I fail to see how her hair looks 'dirty' and 'unkempt'. Sometimes, I wonder whether people even realise how texture on woman of colour works. Meghan is never going to have Catherine's picture perfect Blowout look with our humidity and CERTAINLY not while she is pregnant and can't use keratin treatments for root control. This is how a washed, flat ironed and wavy styled hair of a woman of colour looks. You can simply not like this hairstyle, but some of the language used here can be very strong and easily mistaken as something it is not.

Perfectly stated and very diplomatically, too. This is so important to remember when speaking about Meghan's hair. I think this is probably why I often prefer her half up/half down looks because they seem to work well to give her hair a bit of extra oomph without the look of an overly styled hairdo. Hair textures and the necessary treatments and styling methods for women of color are something that many, many people (including myself) are not terribly well versed in so I understand that many people might not realize the constraints that come with that hair but this is a great reminder that the phrasing used can certainly imply things that maybe the poster didn't intend to imply.

:previous:
I wonder if a nice slim down tent dress would look nice? Isn't comfort important for women having babies, I do not remember as that was a very long time ago and the only clothes I remember are tent dresses. You can get great slim dresses with fullness in fabulous fabrics I bet.....a pretty linen in creme with a small band in the back to make it more fitted ........doesn't have to be a full blown tent either. Swing coats are great for pregnant women also, stylish and chic......I have a leather swing coat would not give it up for anything as it is very chic and I get lots of compliments on it when I wear it..it is about 30 years old now......still going strong in black. There is many other dresses that are not skin tight for Meghan maybe she needs some guidance in those directions as skin tight is so unbecoming on her or any woman having a baby.

As with several times in the past when Meghan's hair is discussed in such a zealous way, I have to remind myself that it is very likely not meant to be as coded as it sounds. I fail to see how her hair looks 'dirty' and 'unkempt'. Sometimes, I wonder whether people even realise how texture on women of colour work. Meghan is never going to have Catherine's picture perfect Blowout look with our humidity and CERTAINLY not while she is pregnant and can't use keratin treatments for root control. This is how a washed, flat ironed and wavy styled hair of a woman of colour looks. You can simply not like this hairstyle, but some of the language used here can be very strong and easily mistaken as something it is not.

I think you put that perfectly. I did want to say something about those comments to this point, but didn't know how to put it in a way that is not going to get people over-defensive and take it the wrong way.

Another angle

I won't even comment on the shortness or the tights debate by some of the people who never seem to be bothered when other people in the BRF wear them. Constantly. Over years. Pregnant or not. (I do realise that some keep their commentary constant for all ladies so that's a completely fair game. :flowers: )

____

I’m going to push back a little. Black hair comes in all different textures, so it’s not completely true that woman of color can’t get a perfect blowout...some can, some can’t. I have hair texture similar to Meghan’s (no chemicals in my hair), but my blowouts get pretty straight...even with humidity.

But I do understand what you mean about coded words and it’s important that we point/call it out. Though I will note that I don’t think anyone here is doing that. Members are quite vocal when it comes to hair. Maxima is always getting called out for her messy hair and members couldn’t stand Kate’s “sausage curls.”

The lack of curl on the end is probably what makes people think Meghan’s hair looks a bit messy. But I think her hair looks absolutely fine. It’s certainly much better than some of the styles that I’ve seen other royals wear.

Last edited:
Okay, I actually love this look this shade of cream works for her.
However,
I agree the dress is too tight and thus shorter than it should be, seeing as it is still on sale in the website it is probably also available for purchase in any H&M store that carries it. An assistant should have been dispatched to one and got one that is a size bigger.
My second issue: cream when dealing with animals. A big no no!
This would have been a better outfit to wear to say the Smart Works visor or the one a couple of days ago with the red coat or the purple dress.

A pair of smart pants (hack even black jeans) or the purple dress from the other day, with a pair of low or mid heel combat boots would have been a better fit for this engagement, IMO.

(..)

From what I can see, the Rouland Mouret dress looks lovely.

From what I can see of it this evening's dress looks very nice. I will say that I love the sleeves. I feel like we don't see a lot of Meghan in sleeves (at least not coat sleeves, I'm talking about her tops and dresses) and certainly not 3/4 sleeves and I really love that look. Just like with the purple dress earlier in the week I thought the sleeves were beautiful and a nice change and I feel like that with this dress, too.

Perhaps she has a more modern approach to being "ladylike". Or maybe she doesn't care about such misogynistic descriptors (When was the last time a man was told to dress more gentleman-like? IMO, these terms are used to keep women in their so-called place). The dress is actually a maternity dress designed to allow for the pregnancy without hiding it. It is a modern aesthetic. She looks great.

Perhaps she cannot find maternity tights that fit her well and she opts for comfort. Also, I live in a colder climate, and unless you are waiting for a bus, or walking to work, you can easily do without hosiery for brief periods of time.

Back
Top Bottom