General News & Information about Haakon,Mette-Marit & Family 1: July 2014 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for a most interesting reply! :flowers:

Nothing less could be expected from you. :notworthy:

Well, well, well, I won't pretend to know a lot about Norwegian politics, but looking at it from a detached point of view, that's not just a warning shot about not becoming elitist, it a salvo! :ohmy:

If they are the official party spokespersons for royal matters (interesting you have such a post) then they are officially speaking on behalf of the party, with the party backing them up.
Magnus Takvem seems to have gone a little too far about being too elitist being a danger for the monarchy, but otherwise he has the party behind him.
And I noticed that they are not novices. They are all experienced politicians.
One is a former MP and some are party leaders, it can't get any higher!

Per Sandberg, he may be republican, but he is the party leader for a most influential party. Since he is the party leader and there is no reaction from the rest of the party, unsurprisingly, this is the official political stance on the subject.
Interestingly he is basically accusing Haakon and Mette-Marit for being what in Denmark is called "kultur-radikal", Almost the worst thing you can be called today! "Kultur-radikal" = intellectual/humanist big-city elitist with no connection with ordinary people. (End definition.)

I didn't realize the criticism was on this level!

That most of them are pro-monarchy or even monarchists doesn't really concern me that much. Many monarchists have a tendency to very conservative, often conservative to the point of being out of touch with population as a whole.
It's their positions within the parties that are telling.

Thus ends my political amateur analysis. ?

:previous: Thanks Muhler, and likewise to you! :flowers:

Well, Norway is an egalitarian society, where the Law of Jante is still very present.

So when the CP couple takes their children out of the public school, or choose to spend their holiday on rich-peoples yachts, then both politicians, commentators, professors and ordinary people will react pretty strongly.
Why? Because it breaks with what the media have always described as ''Det Norske Folkemonarkiet'' (the Norwegian People's Monarchy).
And I must admit that I often takes myself in agreeing with some of the criticism, must be the egalitarian Norwegian in me.

Well, this was it, at least for now. ?

Last edited:
:previous: Yeah, well. If that's the worst thing people have to complain about the Norwegian monarchy isn't in direct danger.
It may become less popular for a period, but not in danger.

I can easily imagine ten other things that are happening in other monarchies that potentially could be a danger, but the CP-couple being too elitist is not among them.
And much depends on Ingrid. If she turns out to be perceived as elitist too, the monarchy may begin to be considered irrelevant to most Norwegians. But that's still a couple of decades into the future.

CP MM is 45 today:

The day is according to TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland celebrated privately with family and friends at Skaugum, where she is awakened with song, homemade cake and gifts.
MM has since 2001 also invited family and friends to a small private andakt (devotional gathering) in the Palace Chapel a bit later in the day.

Media coverage:
It's been talked about on TV2 News Channel, and there are several articles about it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Royal Norway. :flowers:

Out of curiosity: Is this an official flag day in Norway? And are there other ways the birthday of a crown princess of Norway is marked officially?
- Say the NRF and therefore Mette-Marit mentioned in the Sunday sermons? (As a recommendation to the priests from the ministry of church, I mean.)

Thanks, Royal Norway. :flowers:

Out of curiosity: (1) Is this an official flag day in Norway? And (2) are there other ways the birthday of a crown princess of Norway is marked officially?
- Say the NRF and therefore Mette-Marit (3) mentioned in the Sunday sermons? (As a recommendation to the priests from the ministry of church, I mean.)
You're welcome! :flowers:

1. Yes, as with all members of the Royal House (the King, Queen, Haakon, & Ingrid), her birthday is an official flag day.
2. Except that the day (as with all Royal House members) is marked by a 21-gun salute around the country, no.
3. Since the Church of Norway is no longer the state church, I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures great to see her , been ages she is looking well

:previous: Thanks eya & polyesco! :flowers:

Well, read about the annual ''TV-aksjonen'' (''The TV Campaign/Auction") in this English Wikipedia article, which this year went to The Church City Mission.

Either the King, Queen, CP Haakon or CP MM are protectors, and this was (as eya said) the reason to why the Crown Princess guested Lindmo (Norway's largest Talk show) on Friday, where she said that: ''Jeg er ikke redd for vanskelige samtaler, og det tror jeg ikke familien min alltid er like fornøyd med.''
Translated to: ''I'm not afraid of difficult conversations, and that, I don't think my family is always as happy with'' (she was referring to Haakon who has previously teased her about it).
Her appearance: Well, as I have said before, interviews are not her strong side, but she made a good impression, I think.

Last edited:
Royal Norway, why do you say, MM was not that good at interviews? To me she always seems to be quite secured and selfassured when being interviewed!

:previous: Because she's not known for doing so here in Norway!
She often says ''veldig'' (''very'') all the time, and puts on her usual ''grumpy don't talk to the media face'' when she gets difficult questions about Marius or other things.
But don't get me wrong, she has a warm and folksy personality/appearance, and she made a good impression on Friday (at least IMO). ??

:previous: Am I understanding her caption correctly that she's trying/going to try to attempt 52 new sports? What were the first two she tried, because I think it says 47 more to go?

And did someone suggest synchronized swimming in the comments? :lol:

Thanks eya! :flowers:

Well, let's go through the first photo, which seems to have been taken in the great-hall at Skaugum: From left, Bartosz Piasecki (fencer, and sporting-sjef at The Norwegian Fencing Federation - Wikipedia-article), then we have Marte Stokstad (Norwegian programme-host and close friend of The CP-Couple - no English Wikipedia-article about her) and Jan Åge Fjørtoft (former Norwegian footballer and close friend of The CP-Couple - Wikpedia-article).

--------------------

Am I understanding her caption correctly that she's trying/going to try to attempt 52 new sports?
Hmm, whether she's tried them (the sports) before or not, I don't know. - But think it's more about winning against Marte & Jan Åge. ?

She wrote: ''Still 1-0 then @martestokstad ? Thanks to the Olympic medalist @fektern (she means Piasecki) who met up to pre-Christmas fencing. Jan Åge, you crushed me this time ???? #52sport 47 to go! Done in around 2039 :).''

What were the first two she tried, because I think it says 47 more to go?
You mean the first four? We don't know! Not been mentioned in her Instagram account or the media before now.

And did someone suggest synchronized swimming in the comments? :lol:
Yes! :lol:

They are then in their skihouse in Uvdal... I thought she can't go with her lungillness to such cold places... I would wonder if she go skiing...

It's not as if the other parts of Norway are considered to be subtropical ;)

You are right... :) It can be not easy with this illness in Norway. But I meant skiing can make this illness more worse or not?

From what I understood, Mette-Marit has known about her illness for a time--even though the diagnosis was only shared with the public in October.

This year alone, she's been surfing, kayaking, played her annual charity game of football with her family, flew from London to Mexico to South Africa to Estonia (there's another trip I'm forgetting), had a rousing fencing match.

I think she and Haakon and her doctors know if skiing or the cold would exacerbate her illness, and they would have taken precautions ahead of time.

Great video, where Victoria, Daniel and the kids and the norwegian royals promote Generation Pep's "Up and Jump, Sweden! campaign". Obviously done in Åre.

The video at Generation Pep's social media:

"The pepidemic spreads over Sweden and of course the Crown Princess family has also caught it.
The Crown Princess, Prince Daniel, Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar are of course on Up and Jump!
The pepidemic's joy of movement has also crossed the borders and brought along the Norwegian Crown Prince family.
Full speed, play and jump in the snow is a simple and effective way to bring in everyday movement, how do you get into your movement today?"
https://www.facebook.com/generationpep/videos/vl.678109965956857/361726377747452/?type=1&theater
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btx0DffB4j1/

Generation Pep to Mette-Marit in Instagram
"gen.pep @crownprincessmm Such an honor that you participated in our campaign
And Mette-Marit
crownprincessmm @gen.pep But of course ❤️"

Last edited:
The Palace announced today that CP Haakon is to undergo surgery this morning:

"His Royal Highness The Crown Prince will today, on Monday, March 4, 2019, have a minor surgical intervention for exostosis in the ear canal.
The surgical procedure takes place at Rikshospitalet in Oslo.
As a result of the intervention, the Crown Prince will have a reduced program for the next two weeks."

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=167952&sek=112472

Thanks, Eya.

Did a quick read-up.
It's a common thing a surgery is done when it's progressed to the stage where it affects hearing and build up of ear-wax with the added risk of infections that entails.

Thanks for the excellent explanation Muhler. It clarified the situation perfectly.

General News and Information about Haakon, Mette-Marit and family

How coincidental - I'm scheduled to have syringing for a similar condition in a couple of weeks time (a procedure I have to have done once a year). I hope Haakon's went smoothly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom