Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is she though, if she hadn't put what her advisors were telling her before what her son was asking for, to marry the woman of his dreams, none of this would have happened. She showed poor judgement then and her son has had to suffer because of it. If the queen had allowed Charles and Diana to divorce sooner, allowed Charles and Camilla to marry sooner, had shown Camilla a great deal more support, then this would not be happening.

She is giving more thought to how she might be seen, as opposed to whether or not the monarchy will survive after her!

Skydragon - I think these remarks are interesting. I never thought that way before about the Queen. I do have a question. When the Queen mother died how long after did it take Charles and Camilla to marry? I think it was her (from what I read) that stopped Charles from marrying earlier. I wish they did divorce sooner. Maybe Diana's Panorama interview would not have happen or the Prince's book.

Also from what I read the Queen did advise Camilla not to go very early on to the memorial.

Last edited:
You are so right. But if you and many others including me called this predicatable already days ago, why is the future King unable to foresee what consequences his actions could have?

Somehow he must acknowledge that the media is there and won't go away, so he must find a proper way to deal with them or at least take them into consideration when taking decisions instead of ignoring the them completely.

It's essential for his future position as King as the media does influcence the public opinion whether he likes it or not.

Pretty much because he is incapable of seeing past the end of his nose. As I said before, he acts like a spoiled 2 year old who isn't getting his way, and doesn't bother to find out what the long term consequences of his wants are.

Obviously, Camilla shouldnot attend the memorial....She was the third one in the marriage of Princess Diana and Prince Charles.

You say she only does things for self fulfillment, in what way?

Well, I think having a long standing affair with a married man that ruins both your marriage and his marraige and the people involved is a person that does things for self fulfillment. But everything else you say about Camilla above Skydragon I believe is right about her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much because he is incapable of seeing past the end of his nose. As I said before, he acts like a spoiled 2 year old who isn't getting his way, and doesn't bother to find out what the long term consequences of his wants are.

... well said, and he obviously is surrounded by guys how have taken in the Yes Sir mentality to survive because contradiction will mean getting fired.

I wonder if this - sujective - feeling of being misjudged and bullied by the media and whoever will reflect on Charles' face on Friday. I am pretty sure he'll look very offended and blame the stupid public and the evil media that his beloved wife can't be by his side. But it's good that he gets all the fire now and not Camilla because I believe she wouldn't be the one who deserves it.

By the way, the memorial service will be air on the french channel France 2...

But you're suggesting that we have a figurehead who's simply a voicebox who reads out the script provided by the Government. In which case, why have a King at all?

But that's all The Sovereign really is and it's been that way since the reign of George V. I'm not saying the monarchy isn't important, but we have to keep things in perspective. The divine rule of Kings is long over in the UK.

By the way, the memorial service will be air on the french channel France 2...

I'm sorry but I looked in the TV Guide and there's no information on the memorial service being aired.

I've just heard this in the news of 1 pm: a france 2 TV special with our dear Stephane Bern on Friday...

I think it would be completely innappropriate and in very bad taste for Camilla to attend the memorial.

I've just heard this in the news of 1 pm: a france 2 TV special with our dear Stephane Bern on Friday...

Okay, just saw it on the website of France 2. It will be Friday at 12.35 PM on France 2.

Oh yes, the D.... Mail tells us that Diana´s judements are still true today...
And next time we will read what Diana is talking from ´ the next world´ to us about the British Monarchy...I´m waiting for that...

Sorry but i´m so tired of this evil gossip. If i have to read more i get a Royal depression....:eek:

That columnist chick who wrote that piece is such a classic Charles hater, though. She just vilifies him like no other. She makes Richard Kay outright look conciliatory! :lol:

That columnist chick who wrote that piece is such a classic Charles hater, though. She just vilifies him like no other. She makes Richard Kay outright look conciliatory! :lol:

Kay looking conciliatory in acomparision... what a scary thought. :ohmy:

Last edited:
We must be seeing a totally different person. The Camilla I 'know', is kind and charitable, often personally donating her time and money to causes without the constant need for publicity and the resultant public recognition. I haven't heard of any accusations of her being blunt, if she had been, I'm sure that would have been headline news. You say she only does things for self fulfillment, in what way? She appears to have a brilliant sense of humour (the British like that) and in every report in the media where people have spoken of meeting her at an event, they say how easy she is to talk to.

As another poster commented, the affair for one. Moving on, I just feel she does things that on fulfill her wants/needs. I.e. attending things, charity or not, because it won't make her look bad. Diana was known to do things that would make you look bad but bettered people. How many people in the 80s would touch people with HIV and talk to them? It could have made her look bad to many, but she took that risk. I couldn't imagine if Camilla was the POW at the time, she would be doing such things. I feel she toes the line, for the wrong reasons. About her being blunt, I mean more so that she has no subtlety to her. I remember the article I read saying something along the lines of her not attending because it will shift attention away from Diana. :lol: Please, this woman has been dead 10 years and appears on more things than Camilla will in her whole life if she lives to be about 250. I think she should have been more honest in her answer saying something in an elegant manner. So, add dishonesty to the list. The dishonest really goes with my main reason. The Dutchess does things to fufill her own needs. I think in making statements about not going because she will shift attention away was her way of stroking her ego about people, the Queen herself in some articles it claims, basically telling her you don't belong there. It reminds me of those children who don't get invited somewhere and counter "I didn't want to to go anyway!". I know she was invited, but really she was not invited because she is Camilla, or because she knew Diana. She was supposed to attend because of who she married. If she remained a mistress, she wouldn't have been invited. A person such as this, doesn't belong at an event that is meant to honor the life of someone else. Especially, considering she not only ruinned the late person's life she clearly has NO feelings of guilt about it. I'd like to note, Charles seems not to have any guilt about his part, either...

Let's please not turn this thread back into yet another pitched battle between Diana and Camilla fans. Nor are we remotely interested in speculation about how much guilt Charles and Camilla feel, because we don't know that, and it's no more than simply projecting of the feelings and prejudices of the posters unless some actual evidence is offered to back it up.

Since we now know for certain that Camilla won't be attending, do we even need to keep this thread open? We'll be opening a thread for the memorial late tomorrow or early Friday.

It will be on BBC America for sure on Friday at 6 AM. They have been airing commercials for it.

None of this would have happened...had he simply, in the early 70's, married Camilla. But, she wanted Andrew Parker Bowles, and God forbid he could marry a woman who had previous boyfriends and was not a virgin.

Let this be a lesson to all us parents to let our children marry whomever they want to for love.....

I can't imagine the talk about one's "betters" by some. The RF are not even equals to those whose brains, courage and style outshine them a million to one. They were born, just born in the right bed. They are an anachronism, which is falling apart. They hardly lead or have led exemplary lives. They give little in return for getting a great deal. Now, they are faced with this situation. They cannot even execute it with sense and dignity. They could have handled this in a sensible way, they didn't, they are running around like rats, going, not going, his fault, her fault, never saying my fault. The media, the Diana nuts, blame everyone except yourself. Is that what it is all about?

Well, I would say that they give quite a bit, in that they lead their lives in the public spotlight. I would not have wanted to be born in that bed.

This memorial service could have happened 5 years ago, or every year since 1997 - but it hasn't. It's happened when the William and Harry label is a little worn out

Interesting post ;) I think William and Harry were too young then to organize memorials and events in honor of their mother. Also it seemed like the rest of the more adult members of the royal family did not want any Diana memorials, and William and Harry are almost still too young even now to go against their dad's wishes.

..............you tell me this, if they're so worried about their blessed mother's memory then why haven't they dealt with that sham of a memorial fund that's currently aiding the very asylum seekers the British Government are working so hard to crack down on?

William and Harry probably don't yet have the smarts, education or experience to take on that sham of a memorial fund and clean it up. No doubt it's on their to-do list at some future time. And again, I suspect that would also go against their father's wishes who would prefer to keep the Diana memorial fund as a sham.

..............you tell me this, if they're so worried about their blessed mother's memory then why didn't they shut Paul Burrell up?

What would you suggest? An arranged car accident?

..............you tell me this, if they're so worried about their blessed mother's memory then why didn't they hold a pillow over their grandmother's face...............................

Hmmm...........I don't think the Windsors are a violent lot. However, maybe some of their handlers -- especially the pro-Diana ones -- might have considered this.

They were born, just born in the right bed. They are an anachronism, which is falling apart. They hardly lead or have led exemplary lives. They give little in return for getting a great deal.

I don't think this applies to the Queen, who's given her whole life in service od her country.

BeatrixFan, I understand that you want to live in a time where lines of behavior were more cut and dried. I would have loved to have lived in Victorian times (minus the cholera of course:rolleyes:) where manners and grace were considered as essential as air and water. But by picking and choosing which members of the royal family you support, you are just as guilty of contributing to the downfall of the Windsors as they are themselves.

And thats how it should be. It is no concern of the common classes what their betters do.

Well, the betters want a memorial service. End of story, right? But its really not and way before Queen Mary's time the press questioned the behavior of the royals. When Queen Victoria went into mourning and basically withdrew from life, the papers screamed even then "Where is our Queen?" This isn't a new phenomena.

- and that is what people seem to see in Diana, that she provided the quick fix for a commoner to become a Princess, .

But that was already done the minute Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon married the Duke of York and look what an amazing job she did. Diana wasn't needed to break down any walls.

Values were dropped long before Camilla came onto the scene but today is different and today we have Camilla. And if she's to be a member of our Royal Family then for goodness sake let's treat her like one, bow and scrape and jolly well genuflect.

If one is going to talk the talk about betters and divine right, remember that two princes of the blood royal are leading a memorial service on Friday so if you happen by the Guards Chapel and see them, walk the walk and remember to bow, scrape and jolly well genuflect to them and whatever African baby they may be holding. It's their right by virtue of their birth, correct?

Last edited:
While Charles was married, she did remain a discreet mistress.

Not among their inner circle -- no way. Hosting parties at Highgrove with Charles while Diana was away is not exactly discreet by any definition.

No doubt, Camilla has ignored many requests from Buckingham Palace in the past.
Feel free to back that assertion up with something resembling fact.

I can't even imagine that Camilla might have believed Buckingham Palace was delighted that she had her hooks into Charles while he was still married to Diana. Nevertheless, Camilla insisted on continuing her affair with Charles despite any stress or anxiety it might have caused the Queen. What did the queen say about the separation? Her Annus horrbilius or something like that? Nope, I don't think Camilla gives much thought to the wishes of Buckingham Palace -- and that is intuitively obvious to any casual observer, facts or no facts.

When you can come up with something Camilla herself is known to have said, such as in a taped interview or an authorised biography, that might be a better basis to draw conclusions about her. Otherwise you're dealing with anecdotes that are...........

Is there any taped interview or an authorised biography of Camilla? If not, all we have are anecdotes, and some of them ring true loud and clear. Others are more fuzzy. Without any taped interview or authorised biography, we are each left with out own guesstimates based on our own experiences and beliefs.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to think again if that's the best you can do.
I thought about it again, and that's the best I can do, at least for now. ;)

If one is going to talk the talk about betters and divine right, remember that two princes of the blood royal are leading a memorial service on Friday so if you happen by the Guards Chapel and see them, walk the walk and remember to bow, scrape and jolly well genuflect to them and whatever African baby they may be holding.

I do hope someone is there to take a photo...:photo:

I feel sorry for Camilla here...damned if she does attend the service and damned if she doesn't!

Since we know she isn't attending, should this thread not be closed now?

Since we know she isn't attending, should this thread not be closed now?

What a good idea! Everything is said again and again and again on 63 sites...
Friday night i will have a privat ´it´s over´ party.
( And that´s not because i have no moral because of Diana´s death)

Not among their inner circle -- no way. Hosting parties at Highgrove with Charles while Diana was away is not exactly discreet by any definition.
We are talking about the general public, who knew nothing about Camilla being the love of Charles' life, until Diana decided to co-operate in a book that made clear her feelings about the whole royal family and accusations, according to some that Diana regretted, as they were not entirely the truth!
What did the queen say about the separation? Her Annus horrbilius or something like that?
I think you might find that had more to do with the bickering between the Wales' camps and the 2 disasterous TV interviews.
Is there any taped interview or an authorised biography of Camilla? If not, all we have are anecdotes, and some of them ring true loud and clear. Others are more fuzzy. Without any taped interview or authorised biography, we are each left with out own guesstimates based on our own experiences and beliefs.
There are none so people are judging Camilla on their own lives, experiences and Diana's..........(we won't go there again). Anecdotes from who, unnamed sources, unnamed royal servants, disgruntled ex employees, friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of an unnamed source?

Skydragon - I think these remarks are interesting. I never thought that way before about the Queen. I do have a question. When the Queen mother died how long after did it take Charles and Camilla to marry? I think it was her (from what I read) that stopped Charles from marrying earlier.
The Queen was a grown woman long before her mother died, supposedly the head of the UK, so she should have been able to say to her mother 30+ years ago and any time after the divorce, Charles loves Camilla and all I want for any of my children, is for them to be happy, so I am giving them permission and you my dear, much as I love you, will have to lump it!
At the time of Charles & Camillas wedding, she could also have said to Rowan Williams, just who is head of this archaic institution, or quite simply allowed them to marry in a church in Scotland, followed by a blessing in England, therefore showing her backing of her son by attending both.

Sad to say HM has given in to the press again, (make no mistake it wasn't the majority of the Brits calling for Camilla not to g) and one has to wonder if she is still fit to rule!

Elspeth, People are not supposed to take cameras or mobile phones with them, however there is always someone who breaks the rules!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom