The Princess of Wales Jewels 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent, great to see a lovely family heirloom from the Queen Mother's Family gets a chance to "shine" !
Such a delicate and pretty Tiara that looks perfect. The Strathmore Rose Tiara.....YES !

My only question is..... what TOOK so long ? I always assumed it was in tough shape and to dangerous to wear kind of thing. It was a gift to the then Duchess of York from her Parents. A Rose Tiara.....for a younger Princess Margaret Rose, it would have been perfect. Or Princess Anne, even.

Margaret knew her maternal Grandparents, her grandmother died when she was 8, her grandfather when she was 14. She was born at Glamis Castle too. Her Grandparents Home.

So nice to see this. Kate looks just lovely tonight. Well done.

Last edited:
I'm so pleased to see her wearing the Strathmore Rose Tiara, what a lovely piece it is!

Hooray, and finally. She looks very well in it as I hoped she would.

So nice to see this tiara again and that it is still wearable.

I appreciate its historical value, but I don't think it is a good choice for women in Catherine's age range. It looks better on a younger princess despite its rather old-fashioned design. Maybe it can be a starter tiara for Princess Charlotte when her time comes.

Not that I was expecting Catherine to debut the Strathmore Rose, but I expected it to be a smaller, less significant tiara, perhaps more suitable to a younger princess. What we got was a medium sized tiara, with more height than I expected, and one that worked quite well for Catherine, IMO. I think she may introduce this to her regular rotation for a few years before graduating onto (I hope!) the Queen Mary fringe as her regular all-diamond tiara.

I am not sure if it is the quality of the photos but the diamonds do seem to lack sparkle. The diamonds are perhaps smaller than usual for royal tiaras. That would make sense as it was a gift from the Bowes-Lyon family.

I suspect they are old-cut diamonds, that have fewer facets than more contemporary cuts, and consequently, less shine.

Last edited:
ALLELUIA! It is wonderful that the Strathmore Rose Tiara has been able to be used! A wonderful heirloom from The Earl and Countess of Strathmore deserves to be used.

You can see from the pictures that the base of the tiara has a velvet band to match Kate's hair colour - I suspect she may have worn this in private before tonight.

It seems appropriate that she wore a "lesser" tiara for the state visit as it is from a republic. I always wonder why she has never worn her wedding tiara in public again

Appreciate seeing the Strathmore Rose again but I agree with some posters that it is maybe not the best for Kate

Oh my! The Strathmore Rose! What a nice surprise! I really like the tiara, though I must say my favorite tiara worn by Catherine so far is the Lotus Tiara (she's gorgeous in that tiara).

A bit curious now, are there other tiaras in the royal vault gathering dust that haven't been worn for years/decades? Perhaps we'll see them again, and soon.

:previous: I am absolutely stunned at the re-emergence of the Strathmore Rose and was also very surprised that it was bigger than all the other reports of the described "small tiara" that is the Strathmore Rose. I think it is beautiful and it is lovely to see it out and about and hopefully now in rotation.

The fact that the SR lent itself so readily to allow Catherine to wear her hair down is a big plus I think and possibly a point it favour of continued use. As to the question of any more tiara's gathering dust in the legendary vaults? I would say there is more than a small possibility that there are one or two more that we haven't seen for donkey's years or, like Eugenie's wedding tiara, at all.

:previous: I am absolutely stunned at the re-emergence of the Strathmore Rose and was also very surprised that it was bigger than all the other reports of the described "small tiara" that is the Strathmore Rose. I think it is beautiful and it is lovely to see it out and about and hopefully now in rotation.

I think Catherine has had the Strathmore Rose put on a new frame, and that has given it some height, especially around the central rose, which makes it appear bigger now that previously thought. You can see that in some of the close up pictures.

I cannot believe that the Strathmore Rose Tiara has not been worn since 1935!
Delighted to see it worn again after a lengthy absence.

Indeed.

Similarly, the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik had never been seen in public with a royal wearing it until Eugenie wore it in 2018, it had been bequeathed to the Queen Mum in 1942! Hope the Greville comes out to again soon.

Last edited:
I think Catherine has had the Strathmore Rose put on a new frame, and that has given it some height, especially around the central rose, which makes it appear bigger now that previously thought. You can see that in some of the close up pictures.
If one looks at those pics it looks also not so small on the Queen Mother but it was then worn on it's bandeau frame. I think she wore it only once as tiara on it's other frame and there are not really good pics from that occasion.

The fact that the SR lent itself so readily to allow Catherine to wear her hair down is a big plus I think and possibly a point it favour of continued use. As to the question of any more tiara's gathering dust in the legendary vaults? I would say there is more than a small possibility that there are one or two more that we haven't seen for donkey's years or, like Eugenie's wedding tiara, at all.

Marg-I too was surprised by the actual size of the tiara. I expected it to be much smaller. Glad to see that it's been worn again and hopefully will be in the future.

I'd love to see a new tiara on Sophie as hers are not among my favorites.

This site has a blog post dedicated to the British tiaras that have not been seen in many years.

https://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2021/04/her-majestys-hidden-tiaras.html

Indeed.

Similarly, the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik had never been seen in public with a royal wearing it, it had been bequeathed to the Queen Mum in 1942! Hope theGreville comes out to again soon.

Was that not the tiara that Princess Eugenie wore on her Wedding day?
Maybe I'm mixing it up!

Was that not the tiara that Princess Eugenie wore on her Wedding day?
Maybe I'm mixing it up!

It is indeed. I meant to add that it hadn't been seen until Eugenie wore it.

Seeing this tiara was a delightful and unexpected surprise!

It was at the Royal Variety Performance that the Duchess of York wore the Strathmore Rose Tiara in 1935.

It was at the Royal Variety Performance that the Duchess of York wore the Strathmore Rose Tiara in 1935.

Unfortuntaely, we will not be seeing another tiara at the Royal Variety Show next week!

Unfortuntaely, we will not be seeing another tiara at the Royal Variety Show next week!

Indeed. This time are unfortunately gone. Lets hope the 2 royal Ladies will at last wear a nice necklace, but somehow i doubt it as Catherine often omits them recently.

Indeed. This time are unfortunately gone. Lets hope the 2 royal Ladies will at last wear a nice necklace, but somehow i doubt it as Catherine often omits them recently.

I would be content with some serious earrings from Catherine: the Greville chandeliers, the QE2 chandeliers that Catherine has worn several times, or even the sapphire and diamond fringe earrings. Or she can shock us and get us something new from the vault that we hadn't been expecting, like the Queen Victoria emerald and daimodn fringe earrings.

Like so many other posters here I was thrilled to see the Princess of Wales wearing the Strathmore Rose Tiara. I wonder what prompted her to choose the Strathmore? So glad she did, this has been a longtime favorite of mine!

Like so many other posters here I was thrilled to see the Princess of Wales wearing the Strathmore Rose Tiara. I wonder what prompted her to choose the Strathmore? So glad she did, this has been a longtime favorite of mine!

I suspect Camilla and Catherine have had a bit of a session or two in the vault, having a play with what is there, what can be used, and what cannot. In that sorting, they probably stumbled upon the Strathnmore Rose, and Catherine was probbaly happy to wear it once or twice.

I suspect Camilla and Catherine have had a bit of a session or two in the vault, having a play with what is there, what can be used, and what cannot. In that sorting, they probably stumbled upon the Strathnmore Rose, and Catherine was probbaly happy to wear it once or twice.

Someone has suggested (sorry, I don’t remember who/where) that Camilla may choose to use things worn by QEII, while Catherine may focus on items connected to the Queen Mum. Although neither QC or POW will be a Queen Regnant, so who knows - fun to consider!

I'm just glad they are using these items and diversifying a bit. No point in letting beautiful pieces molder in the vault while they restrict themselves to the same ones over and over.

Someone has suggested (sorry, I don’t remember who/where) that Camilla may choose to use things worn by QEII, while Catherine may focus on items connected to the Queen Mum. Although neither QC or POW will be a Queen Regnant, so who knows - fun to consider!

Not sure that is a view I subscribe to. For years, Camilla has worn jewellery previously used by the Queen Mother, including the Greville Boucheron tiara, Camilla's engagement ring, the Greville festoon necklaces, the pearls from QEQM, various brooches.

Catherine had tended to wear items personal to QE2, including her wedding bracelet, the Trefoil bracelet, the diamond chandelier earrings, the diamond frame earrings, the Bahrain pearl earrings, the Silver jubilee diamond and pearl earrings, the Japanese pearl choker. More recently, the list has included the three string festoon necklace worn to the Coronation.

I'm just glad they are using these items and diversifying a bit. No point in letting beautiful pieces molder in the vault while they restrict themselves to the same ones over and over.

Well said. I am glad to see that Camilla is not scared to use jewellery previously used by QE2. I am also pleased to see the contents of the vault are also being shared with Catherine: the Greville chandelier earrings, the 3 string festoon and the Strathmore Rose. Long may these explorations continue.

Back
Top Bottom