Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, a good point Henri M. All the reasons given as to why Camilla shouldn't go actually are applicable by the logic with which they're presented, to Charles.

Exactly he shoudn't go either, but he's going that's a fact

So who should be going in your view?

Exactly he shoudn't go either, but he's going that's a fact

Let us turn it the other way round. I would not be surprised if Mr. Dodi al-Fayed and his spouse Lady Diana al-Fayed née Spencer formerly Mountbatten-Windsor would have been invited for the Prince's second marriage or for the new King's Coronation.

Diana went on with her life. And Charles with his. And the sons with theirs.
Only parts of the public remains standstill to 10 or 15 years ago.

A public poll of who exactly? Notice only 1001 people took part and that every result was rounded up. It really is laughable. I hope Camilla isn't losing sleep over this. The majority of the public couldn't care less about the entire event, let alone whether HRH goes or not.

Well Camilla is still going to the Princess of Wales' memorial service so this dailymail article is of no importance.

Well Camilla is still going to the Princess of Wales' memorial service so this dailymail article is of no importance.

Maybe so, yes probably, but the picture of Camilla on it is nice! :)

With all due respect, it is of importance to many who care about the royal family and/or the late Diana.

I don't know whether or not it's true,but I read that Camilla does not wish to go but that Charles is insisting as he's worried about her non-attendance looking like 'guilt'.

My view is that I think it exceptionally crass that the service is being held at all and that Charles' family, nearly all of whom heartily disliked Diana and she them, are attending. Wanting to do it for the 'boys' is not valid, either. Neither of Diana's sons are boys any longer. William's grandmother was only five minutes older than he is now when she became Queen, for instance.

My impression is that it's a media-PR exercise in the worst possible taste, and I'm terribly disappointed in many of the protagonists for going along with it.

I'm also trying to find any record of a memorial service for any monarch, 10 years after her/his death, much less an ex-royal family member. I'd be grateful if those who know of any could let us know.

Ugh. Roll on Republic.

What bothers me about it is that all these polls and things in the media is making the memorial service about Camilla, and it should be about remembering Diana, and one hopes for some remembrance of the other two who died too (although obviously, Diana is the focus, like it or leave it). I don't care if Camilla goes or doesn't go. I just want the press to shut up about it and not show any pics of Camilla going or being somewhere else, and just focus on the event for what it is.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, Polly. I agree with you about most of the Royal Family's view of Diana but I don't believe the memorial is for Diana, the Royal Family or the Public.

My own belief is that William and Harry wanted to create their own way of remembering their mother and as her sons, I believe it is their right to remember her as they see fit not what the Queen thinks or Charles or the adoring public - and the concert and the memorial service are their method of choice.

I see this as an act of closure for Diana's sons and nothing more but I think it is important to them so they should be allowed it. And if they invite Camilla she should go. If they had not invited her, she should have stayed at home.

The rest of us: Charles, Camilla, the Queen, and the public will get over our momentary discomfort.

Last edited:
My own belief is that William and Harry wanted to create their own way of remembering their mother.

They had that ghastly concert, wasn't that enough? I mean, what do they want? Blood? Tears? Wailing mourners on every street corner and daily parades where icons of the fallen Madonna are ceremoniously trudged through the streets with mantilla wearing widows throwing white roses and singing Dido's Lament? How many of these concerts and memorial services do we actually need? They cause more trouble than they're worth.

It's not really that much BeatrixFan although it seems like a lot because that's all people are talking about now. :)

I'm sure William and Harry grow up to be nice young men, get married to nice girls and have nice children and then looking back on all of this will seem quaint. But they really didn't have a chance to show their respects to their mother as they would have wished when she died because they were too young and things were a bit crazy.

Now things have calmed down a bit (even though it does seem crazy, things are not as crazy as when Diana died) and so they have a little space to breathe and honor their mother as they wished.

I agree about the concert but its what they wanted.

They had that ghastly concert, wasn't that enough? I mean, what do they want? Blood? Tears? Wailing mourners on every street corner and daily parades where icons of the fallen Madonna are ceremoniously trudged through the streets with mantilla wearing widows throwing white roses and singing Dido's Lament?

Or even Dodi's Lament...:hiding:

That was cruel, Elspeth...but funny! :lol:

They had that ghastly concert, wasn't that enough? I mean, what do they want? Blood? Tears? Wailing mourners on every street corner and daily parades where icons of the fallen Madonna are ceremoniously trudged through the streets with mantilla wearing widows throwing white roses and singing Dido's Lament? How many of these concerts and memorial services do we actually need? They cause more trouble than they're worth.

This is just absurd. It is not overdone what they are doing for Diana this summer, with the charity concert and memorial service, it is all very tastefully done, and it's ten years after she died, and that's the reason for it, to mark the decade passing. I think everything has been appropriately done and organized according to what William and Harry want. There is nothing wrong with the events in themselves. What is wrong is that the press is making it about Camilla!! Why?? how does it help or add to anything? It just makes people like me really angry, so why don't they stop? :lol:

The operative phrase is "this summer". I had no idea that the whole season was to be dominated by Di events. And what happens in another ten years? Two concerts and two memorial services? And when are we having a concert for the Queen Mother - or even a permanent memorial in London to her? That's what absurd, the constant churning out of memorial this and memorial that. I've no problem with a quiet memorial service attended by close family and friends but this is turning into a Di-Aid and it's really not becoming of the Royal Family. They're above things like this - or should be. It just confirms that William and Harry have absolutely no idea about what it is to be Royal. Royals have dignity, this is fast robbing the Windsors of theirs.

And what about on the day? Are we to have Elton John wheeling out that tired old showtune, another stinging address by Earl *laugh* Spencer and general hysteria? Because to normal, sane people that's what the connotation of Di-Fest is. It's another excuse to generally have a pop at anyone in a hat and pearls and we're already seeing it. It's already become a by-word for Camilla bashing and general "Hang your head in shame!" sentiment.

It might be interesting to compare the public's reaction to the memorial compared with the funeral. I have a feeling that more people are going to be diverted by whether Kate Middleton attends and how Camilla behaves than anything.

And if they've got any sense at all, they'll keep Earl Spencer muzzled.

And when are we having a concert for the Queen Mother - or even a permanent memorial in London to her?

There was a memorial concert for the Queen Mother in Norfolk at Castle Acre, attended by the Prince and the Duchess. It was a very classy event, by appearances. The Queen Mother gets plenty of recognition as the true matriarch of the family, the Queen's mother and best friend, and the Prince's favorite grandparent. She is honored everyday by the Prince and the Duchess opening the Castle of Mey to the public, and taking such good care of her other two dearest homes, Birkhall and CH. The Queen Mother is honored in ways that her family sees fit, as it should be. Diana is a different person, and she is honoroed differently, accordingly, appropriately, as her sons see fit. That is all that can be said about it.

We're getting a pemanent memorial in London to the Queen Mother - isn't there supposed to be a statue under way?

My own belief is that William and Harry wanted to create their own way of remembering their mother and as her sons, I believe it is their right to remember her as they see fit not what the Queen thinks or Charles or the adoring public - and the concert and the memorial service are their method of choice.

I see this as an act of closure for Diana's sons and nothing more but I think it is important to them so they should be allowed it. And if they invite Camilla she should go. If they had not invited her, she should have stayed at home.

The rest of us: Charles, Camilla, the Queen, and the public will get over our momentary discomfort.

I would like to think that you're right, but my opinion is that the whole exercise is part of an effort to show everyone as warm and wonderful and forgiving and understanding. It just doesn't fadge with me. Nor do I believe that it's at all necessary or even a good idea. I cannot rid myself of the idea that it's all showbiz and an attempt to airbrush the hatefulness and damage and spite that the whole Diana era occasioned. There is nothing wrong or special about Diana's sons wishing to have a memorial service for their mother, but turning it into a public spectacular is not fitting, in my opinion, but it will get into the history books. I repeat, I'm disappointed in all of them.

I understand that most will disagree with me, but them's my views.

Well, the boys have grown up, the boys have money and have people to help them to have things done. And the boys are better to do something to create some positive publicity I think.

I am not against any idea that Prince William and Prince Harry stand up and hold some celebrations about their mother's life. It is up to them as long as they don't do thing damaging the future standing of the royal family. I think it is a good idea to bury the past and let Diana rest in peace if they can achieve it finally .

Two years ago I was thinking how was 2007 summer looked like for the celebration of Diana's life. Now I find out, one concert for Diana, one birthday party for Camilla, one concert for Queen Mother, one memorial service for Diana. Charles have his way to remember Queen Mother then William and Harry have their ways to remeber Diana.

Camilla should not attend Diana's memorial service, says public poll

Camilla should not attend Diana's memorial service, says public poll | the Daily Mail

The D.... Mail and a public poll....how laughable...everybody knows this special kind of public...
How can a tabloid that never publish readers comments who are not confirm with their gossip wants to make us believe that this poll shows really public opinion?
Chin up Camilla,we know you will do it the right way!:flowers:

Considering how many of us have reported sending in positive comments about Camilla to the Mail or complaints about biased stories claiming to be fair and balanced, none of which have ever been published in their online comments section, I think we have a fairly good idea of how impartial that poll is likely to be.

Last edited:
I actually find the poll quite a pleasant surprise for the Duchess and the Clarence House.
Just think how much were the chances 40% of the public would support the idea of Camilla, attending the Memorial Service for Diana only 3 years ago? :rolleyes: :)

On another polls:
The Daily Mail article conveniently forgets to mention that (according to their own poll) there are more people (39%), who think Charles and Camilla's marriage strengthened the Monarchy, then those, who think the opposite. :)

And finally the last poll, the one that suggests the Crown should go straight to William. Note that the majority of those, who voted for that were people under 22. And of course, the usual Daily Mail readers. ;)

Last edited:
I actually find the poll quite a pleasant surprise for the Duchess and the Clarence House.
Jut think how much were the chances 40% of the public would support the idea of Camilla, attending the Memorial Service for Diana only 3 years ago? :rolleyes: :)

On another polls:
The Daily Mail article conveniently forgets to mention that (according to their own poll) there are more people (39%), who think Charles and Camilla's marriage strengthened the Monarchy, then those, who think the opposite. :)

And finally the last poll, the one that suggests the Crown should go straight to William. Note that the majority of those, who voted for that were people under 22. And of course, the usual Daily Mail readers. ;)

One has to pity the Mail as they were trying so hard to change the mood of the Britons against Charles and Camilla - and how they failed.... :ROFLMAO:

I haven't read through the entire thread so don't know what direction the thread has gone in. However my gut instinct is that Camilla should not attend.

Aside from the obvious reason that she played a a very active role in the break-up of their marriage, her presence will merely overshadow the actual event itself.

Every camera will be focused on her and every journalist will write about her, not Diana.

I haven't read through the entire thread so don't know what direction the thread has gone in. However my gut instinct is that Camilla should not attend.

Aside from the obvious reason that she played a a very active role in the break-up of their marriage, her presence will merely overshadow the actual event itself.

Every camera will be focused on her and every journalist will write about her, not Diana.

I am with you little star but somehow it's a lose lose situation for Camilla because she will be critizised either way. I personally don't want to see her in the front row but somehow she belongs next to Charles as his wife. If she doesn't go at all it looks like giving in to the media pressure. Besides, the princes have invited her. If they didn't anyone would assume that there is trouble in the family, which is obviously not the case. So if the family has moved on, we should too, but on the other hand a media focus on Camilla attending and monitoring any movement in her face does spoil the purpose, remembering Diana.

Very, very difficult for Camilla because I think the last thing on earth she wants to do is turning this memorial day into a where-is-Camilla-and-what-is-she-doing event. I believe all people involved have learned their lesson and if they had had the opportunity to look into crystal ball in 1981 to see what happens in the future all of them would have taken very different decisions I can imagine. It's just a pity they couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom