Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duchess

Royal Highness
City
xx
Country
Canada
Just watching a show on TV and one of the commentators said that Camilla should do more of the things that Diana did and let the public assess her suitability. They seem to think that that would be treading into Diana's territory but she should give it a try anyway. I thought it was a good point. Any thoughts on it?

Duchess said:
Just watching a show on TV and one of the commentators said that Camilla should do more of the things that Diana did and let the public assess her suitability. They seem to think that that would be treading into Diana's territory but she should give it a try anyway. I thought it was a good point. Any thoughts on it?

She cannot be Diana or do what Diana did. She could never achieve it first of all, and secondly everyone should be who they are and make their own mark in this world in their own unique way. Believe me, Camilla has unique ways of making history!!

What show was that and who was the commentator? That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

I think she should do whatever she wants to. She'll be criticized for it no matter what she does, so she might as well pick the option she likes best because she can't make everyone happy either way.

Alicky said:
I think she should do whatever she wants to. She'll be criticized for it no matter what she does, so she might as well pick the option she likes best because she can't make everyone happy either way.

So true! However, from the charities' point of view, I don't see why Camilla should be banned from them just because Diana used to support them. I somehow doubt they cared who will champion their cause, as long as Camilla help raise loads of money. Having a royal patron definitely brings lots more publicity, and other rich sponsors, compared to a lesser member of the RF or other celebrities. Judging from pictures of C&C's dinner parties, they have a lot of rich friends to call upon to support their causes.

I agree. And anyone who would criticize her for involvement in charitable work does not have the best interest of the charity in mind.

tiaraprin said:
She cannot be Diana or do what Diana did. She could never achieve it first of all, and secondly everyone should be who they are and make their own mark in this world in their own unique way. Believe me, Camilla has unique ways of making history!!

Newbie here.

& very well stated. Never try to copy someone else.

ysbel said:
What show was that and who was the commentator? That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

I agree with you also. That is the stupidest thing I have heard. But, hold on to your seats. There will be plenty of stupid things for years to come

Totally agree with many of you!

I completely agree with those of you who have said Camilla should not try to copy Diana or do the things she did. In my opinion, she could never come close to doing the things that Diana did, anyway. It would only come across as her trying to be Diana, I think. If Camilla takes a genuine interest in a charity and wants to get deeply involved, then so be it. But it sounded to me like "they", whoever "they" are, were suggesting in this program that she mold herself like a Diana clone and that would never work! I've never heard much about Camilla being involved in charity work. To paraphrase how one of you so eloquently put it, she has her own ways of getting attention (by my way of thinking, that's by stealing someone's husband, being a mistress, etc.).

Alicky said:
I agree. And anyone who would criticize her for involvement in charitable work does not have the best interest of the charity in mind.

But, to get involved just so you could win over public support( which I don't see happening). That is not the way to go also.

For her she driving down the no win lane. If she was involved before in Diana's Charities then I don't think that it would be a problem. But to now jump in. It would show that she is only doing it to win the public over.

If you want to do it, do it for the RIGHT reasons. Because you Care not for Public relations purpose. & alot of things over the past years have been done for the purpos of Public Relations.

That was one of the reasons why the WORLD loved Diana so. She Truly cared. & it showed. The PR that her Charities received was an added bonus.

Camilla is not Diana. She has her own style and her own manner and she should handle the public in a way that is suitable to her. If she were to act as Diana did, it would not come off naturally because it is not who she is. I think in her encounters with the public at official engagements, she has done a good job and it doesn't seem, to me, that she is trying to do or be something she is not, but that is just my opinion. Camilla has to learn she can't impress or make everyone happy. There will always be people out there who don't like her, that's just how it is, but if she acts in the way that is natural to her, it would make it a lot easier than trying to do it someone else's way and failing at it.

I wonder which commentator it was that said that. Sounds like someone wanting to sabotage Diana, Camilla, or both.

portergirl said:
I completely agree with those of you who have said Camilla should not try to copy Diana or do the things she did. In my opinion, she could never come close to doing the things that Diana did, anyway. It would only come across as her trying to be Diana, I think. If Camilla takes a genuine interest in a charity and wants to get deeply involved, then so be it. But it sounded to me like "they", whoever "they" are, were suggesting in this program that she mold herself like a Diana clone and that would never work! I've never heard much about Camilla being involved in charity work. To paraphrase how one of you so eloquently put it, she has her own ways of getting attention (by my way of thinking, that's by stealing someone's husband, being a mistress, etc.).

Here Here.

She should be her own person. & For her wheather people like it or not. Cam has put herself in he position of now having to live up to what diana did for the royal family. She will never reach that level. & Now, she too will know what TRUE pressure will be. When every move, Step, breath, etc..... will be noticed & talked about & critized. She wanted Charles & now that she has him. He comes with a lot of baggage. & she has now open the bags & live with all that stuff.

I believe somebody already made this point.If Camilla tries to do everything Diana did casually,not only will she be labeled as someone who is trying to be somebody else,she will be criticized for trying to be like Diana and win over public opinion.However,I do understand what the "man" on the T.V was trying to say.I think he meant for Camilla to take hints from Diana and try to blend in like she did.Ofcourse there was only one Diana and I think media just wants someone else they could haunt like they did with Diana.They believe that by making Camilla do all this, they can make a fool out of her and sell magazines.:rolleyes:

I remember reading somewhere that often times, it is the charity that writes to the person to ask for patronage. Just curious, if the AIDS Trust invites Camilla to be their patron, would that be more acceptable for Camilla to get involved, or will the charity be criticized for betraying Diana?

Incas said:
So true! However, from the charities' point of view, I don't see why Camilla should be banned from them just because Diana used to support them. I somehow doubt they cared who will champion their cause, as long as Camilla help raise loads of money. Having a royal patron definitely brings lots more publicity, and other rich sponsors, compared to a lesser member of the RF or other celebrities. Judging from pictures of C&C's dinner parties, they have a lot of rich friends to call upon to support their causes.

The last person to take over Diana's patronages is Camilla. Full Stop. Diana's patronages should go to her sons and other members of the Royal Family. Prince Andrew took over for the English National Ballet. Now Andrew is not the first person who comes to mind for being a ballet patron, but at least he is trying! Camilla has to pick her own, unique charities.

There are lots of charities that Camilla could become involved in if she would want to. Choosing one of the ones Diana supported would just cause comparisons and while I don't dislike Camilla or anything I don't think she would hold up very well in comparisons to Diana. Camilla should find something though that means alot to her and work towards that cause. She could use more good publicity

Princess Diana been in public for 15 years since she got married to Prince Charles in 1981-1997 but many people loves her very much till she died and she been attend Ballet ceremony and lots of more! but i think i would agree with posts! but Camilla would needs get her OWN patronages but i dont wanted Camilla follow Diana's footsteps!

Sara Boyce

im sure Camilla would want to make her own way of contributing to the world. That commentator should know that in order for her to be accepted, she doesnt have to be Princess Diana II. Diana is Diana and Camilla is Camilla, thats it.

Australian said:
im sure Camilla would want to make her own way of contributing to the world. That commentator should know that in order for her to be accepted, she doesnt have to be Princess Diana II. Diana is Diana and Camilla is Camilla, thats it.

im going with you! but im complete agree with you!

Sara Boyce

Camilla is already the patron of a charity that supports sufferers of osteoporosis. This disease hits pretty close to home since her mother died of it.

portergirl said:
I completely agree with those of you who have said Camilla should not try to copy Diana or do the things she did.

I don't think Camilla wants to be another Diana. Remember, while the world loved Diana, Charles couldn't live with Diana. If Camilla turned into another Diana, she'd risk losing Charles' love and she's already put too much on the line for his love to risk losing that now.

I didn't explain myself

ysbel said:
I don't think Camilla wants to be another Diana. Remember, while the world loved Diana, Charles couldn't live with Diana. If Camilla turned into another Diana, she'd risk losing Charles' love and she's already put too much on the line for his love to risk losing that now.
I guess I didn't explain my thoughts too clearly, ysbel: I didn't mean that Camilla wanted to be another Diana in every way - in private ways with Charles. I meant in the way she was perceived by the public, since I think that's how this thread started. I am sure she isn't trying to be Diana in private, since as you said, Charles didn't care for Diana - but I don't think there's any danger of Camilla being Diana in public or private - no chance!

I guess should rephrase the question. No one is suggesting that Camilla should take over Diana's patronages or try to copy Diana's style. The question should have been should Camilla make herself more available to the public when opportunities represent themselves and let the public decide for themselves on her suitability,

Absolutely. Those who are determined to dislike her can always choose not to support her charities.

She's patroness of the following:

Patronages
St John's, Smith Square (Patron)
Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust (Trustee)
National Osteoporosis Society (President)
New Queen's Hall Orchestra (Patron)

some excerpts from royal.gov.uk:

During her time as Patron and then as President, The Duchess has visited many bone units in hospitals across the country to help raise awareness about osteoporosis, which affects one in two women and one in five men over the age of 50 in the UK.

She also wrote the foreword to the society's book 'A Skeleton Guide to a Healthy You - Vitamins and Minerals', which was launched at a special reception held at the Ritz Hotel in London on 28 February, 2002.

Her Royal Highness is also Patron of St John's, Smith Square, and a Trustee of the Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust. Launched in 1998, this scheme supports elderly and vulnerable householders, including disabled people, and victims of domestic violence and race and hate crime.

Camilla needs to become more public and charity work is the best way to appear in a good light. While some people will always hate her there are at least some people who with some years time will be swayed into liking Camilla or at least not disliking her.

Diana took on so many charities to increase her power base with the public, and to beat the RF at their own game. Later, she dumped most of them. Camilla has no need to play games like that.

una said:
Diana took on so many charities to increase her power base with the public, and to beat the RF at their own game. Later, she dumped most of them. Camilla has no need to play games like that.

No, Camilla has bigger hurdles to leap over than Diana ever did!

Diana is also not as Machiavellian as you make her appear. She truly cared about people and their suffering because she was suffering. She didn't want anyone to suffer.

Diana also had to surrender those "dumped" charities to try to get her life back in order after her separation from Charles. When she was up to it, she returned to Charity work with the Red Cross and banning of landmines.

Heh, ask Jane Atkinson about the "surrender." :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom