Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, even if that is a reputable poll, it doesn’t matter as ultimately the people don’t get to make the decision. I have to say that it’s a shame that Charles and Camilla are still hated or disliked by so many people because they can’t get over Diana, but then again, I’m not a fan these kind of polls so I guess I’m not surprised. Anyway, these two have lived with these ratings for years, and they will continue to do so.

Perhaps pragmatic change is a 'closed book' to you ? Bit odd given your views of the Couple 'exiting' the Firm at the end of March ?

But [in the real world] 'When Circumstances change l change my mind'..

Oh you see I very much agree that people change with circumstances. Though it seems people pick and choose who this should apply to. No surprise there though.

It’s just been fascinating to read these last few pages.

That said, despite what some in the public might groan about, at the end of the day Camilla will still be Queen Camilla when the time comes.

Oh you see I very much agree that people change with circumstances. Though it seems people pick and choose who this should apply to. No surprise there though.

It’s just been fascinating to read these last few pages.

That said, despite what some in the public might groan about, at the end of the day Camilla will still be Queen Camilla when the time comes.

she may or may not be. They may decide to stick to original intenton that she is known as Princess Consort. I think it was a bad idea to make that announcement.

You and l can [at least] agree on that...

But we don't know that. It was stated that she would be Princess Consort.. and if Charles had succeeded to the throne within say 6 months of the marriage, I think he would have had to abide by that.
Over time it had begun to lookl like she had more acceptance and that they had been a bit premature in making the Princess statement and that she would become queen...
But while she is accepted, I think that tehre is still a feeling that they are Ok with her being Charles' wife.... but that she should be Princess Consort.. rather than queen.

Last edited:
Comment: Camilla is the greatest victim of The Crown's republican lies

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is one of the most impressive, hard-working and dedicated members of the Royal Family, yet her rights as a woman are being denied.

Under British law, women have the right to take the same rank and status as their husbands, yet today Camilla is not the Princess of Wales, and when her husband becomes King she will, as things stand, be the Princess Consort rather than Queen. Despite having been married to Prince Charles for 15 years, during which she has made him happier than at any other stage of his life, she is going to be denied the right of equality that has been accorded every other monarch's wife in a thousand years of British history.

This aberrant – indeed abhorrent – situation is being further entrenched by the fourth season of Netflix's TV series The Crown, which covers the start of Prince Charles's marital breakup with his first wife, Diana, Princess of Wales, before the fifth season covers her tragic death. Despite the fact that it is largely fiction from start to finish, such is its power over the public imagination that it will open up the whole painful, but now ancient, story, to the inevitable detriment of the reputations of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyl...s-republican-lies/ECH6QQ24LOE46SQ5KWKI746GOU/

Well I'll admit it. I am old enough to have stayed up all night and watched the wedding of Diana and Charles live. And I watched her funeral live. And when it was fashionable to hate Camilla I did. But she's grown on me. Possibly on others as well.

Wow, that is a brilliant article - Andrew Roberts hit all the nails on all the heads with all the hammers. I could have posted any excerpt, frankly, but this makes the point especially well. Roberts is right about American audiences - certainly reviewers; they are gushing about it, unconcerned that it’s a cruel, nastily inaccurate version of real life people and events.

Camilla should be Queen, and I think Charles is making a mistake in catering to those who will never forgive him or Camilla.

The historian Hugo Vickers spotted over 500 factual errors in The Crown's first season, and there have been several hundred more in those since. Yet the massive audiences, especially in America, seem to be willing to suspend disbelief and treat the show as genuine history.

The result will be that a good, funny, charming, intelligent and decent person – the woman who ought to have married Prince Charles in the first place – will be denied the right to equal status with her husband on his accession, and Britain will be denied an excellent queen. Left-wing feminists who normally would be up in arms about a woman being denied her rights under the law are universally silent, possibly because so many of them are republicans.

Camilla never fed into and/or reacted to the vitriol that was directed at her from all angles and for that I admire her immensely. She just went on with her life. When the time came and she married Charles, she did what she was supposed to do as far as being his consort quietly and effectively and just let her actions speak volumes for her character and with that, she's more than earned not only her place in the British royal family but also acceptance in the minds of people that have watched her through the years.

Camilla is a woman that is comfortable in her own skin and that's a quality that I believe she's installed in Charles too as the marriage progressed. They definitely make for a good team together and that'll be a big plus in Charles' reign.

Camilla never fed into and/or reacted to the vitriol that was directed at her from all angles and for that I admire her immensely. She just went on with her life. When the time came and she married Charles, she did what she was supposed to do as far as being his consort quietly and effectively and just let her actions speak volumes for her character and with that, she's more than earned not only her place in the British royal family but also acceptance in the minds of people that have watched her through the years.

Camilla is a woman that is comfortable in her own skin and that's a quality that I believe she's installed in Charles too as the marriage progressed. They definitely make for a good team together and that'll be a big plus in Charles' reign.

I couldn’t agree more - beautifully said. I think the Queen must respect Camilla a great deal because she just got on with it. She dealt with the public scorn with great equanimity, and never complained about not being accepted by the BRF. She made Charles happier than he’s ever been and I think that’s a big deal in the BRF as well. They make a fantastic team - they are partners in every sense of the word.

Camilla, by all accounts, has a wonderful sense of humor, and that has stood her in good stead...

Comment: Camilla is the greatest victim of The Crown's republican lies

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is one of the most impressive, hard-working and dedicated members of the Royal Family, yet her rights as a woman are being denied.

Under British law, women have the right to take the same rank and status as their husbands, yet today Camilla is not the Princess of Wales, and when her husband becomes King she will, as things stand, be the Princess Consort rather than Queen. Despite having been married to Prince Charles for 15 years, during which she has made him happier than at any other stage of his life, she is going to be denied the right of equality that has been accorded every other monarch's wife in a thousand years of British history.

This aberrant – indeed abhorrent – situation is being further entrenched by the fourth season of Netflix's TV series The Crown, which covers the start of Prince Charles's marital breakup with his first wife, Diana, Princess of Wales, before the fifth season covers her tragic death. Despite the fact that it is largely fiction from start to finish, such is its power over the public imagination that it will open up the whole painful, but now ancient, story, to the inevitable detriment of the reputations of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyl...s-republican-lies/ECH6QQ24LOE46SQ5KWKI746GOU/

Andrew Roberts, a historian has written this same article on The Telegraph (behind a paywall). Thank you teeyah for posting the New Zealand Herald link with the complete article!! :flowers:

Camilla is the greatest victim of The Crown's republican lies
The show’s blatant agenda has only made it more likely that the Duchess of Cornwall will be denied her rightful place as Queen

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1605903531

Like other posters have mentioned, Camilla's dedication and hard work is something to behold, especially when she kept her head down and let her engagement do the talking, despite media/public scrutiny and hostility. She has also mostly avoided getting into political territories or other controversial topics. And let's not forget her sense of humour. I was not initially keen on Camila either, but I certainly grew to like her. Camilla has also made Charles happier and these two certainly make a great companion.

Last edited:
I really admire Camilla and her work ethic, but more important is the ability to engage anyone in a conversation that makes them feel comfortable and appreciated as that is a rare skill and her penchant for laughter a having joy in the moment.

It will be a travesty if she is not crowned Queen Consort. She has more than earned her place in the BRF.

I am very much a fan of Camilla's. She has made Charles happy. They always seem to be enjoying themselves no matter where they are.
Is it already determined she will become Princess Consort when Charles becomes King or could she become Queen Camilla. Who will determine her titles? I really hope when the time comes we will see her beside King Charles as Queen Camilla.

I have in the past been quite critical of both Charles and Camila and how I perceived the treatment of Diana.
I still believe a great deal of mistakes were made by a number of people on both sides.

As has been said before why should happiness play second fiddle to duty, I now find myself admiring Charles for standing up for Camilla, he could have kept her behind closed doors, with no public display of togetherness. A Biddy In, as we say.
There would have been rumours but that happens anyway.
Instead he stood up for her, he wanted her as his wife, on his arm.

For her part Camilla has grown into the role, supports her husband without taking the attention away from him, as is the role of the consort. Resisted the temptation to respond to hateful press and social media stories. She might have been happy to stay in the background.

We can all see the difference in Charles as a result.
A great deal of the public were prepared to give her a chance and they like what they see.

I have in the past been quite critical of both Charles and Camila and how I perceived the treatment of Diana.
I still believe a great deal of mistakes were made by a number of people on both sides.

As has been said before why should happiness play second fiddle to duty, I now find myself admiring Charles for standing up for Camilla, he could have kept her behind closed doors, with no public display of togetherness. A Biddy In, as we say.

For her part Camilla has grown into the role, supports her husband without taking the attention away from him, as is the role of the consort. Resisted the temptation to respond to hateful press and social media stories. She might have been happy to stay in the background.

A great deal of the public were prepared to give her a chance and they like what they see.
charles could not have gone on living with Camilla as his mistress, in the background. The affair was known about, in the end he had to marry her or split with her.

I very much agree with your overall point. Charles had to face the opposition of his mother, which must have been far harder to deal with than that of the public. He refused to live his life without the woman he loved, and that refusal was a testament to the strength of his love for Camilla. I imagine that even HM must have respected that, and ultimately she came to embrace Camilla as a member of the BRF. It makes me wonder how Philip, who used to worry about his son having backbone, must privately have felt, lol

It's been 15 years already since Camilla became a working member of the RF and, although she is not as hated as she was in the Diana years, she has not become particularly popular either.

Camilla seems to be comfortable with her low profile and not being the "Princess of Wales", but rather just the Duchess of Cornwall. I think she would be comfortable too with being the Princess Consort and won't insist on being crowned Queen. The early years of Charles' reign will be shaky as QEII will leave big shoes to fill and Charles is not popular either. I don't see him wanting to stir up controversy by reneging on his previously announced "intention" that Camilla be styled as Princess Consort.

Last edited:
I think Megan has given people something else to focus their ire on and that helps Camilla.

I dont think so. I think that there is a large sub set of people who just wont ever forgive her for the Diana years.. and I think that the general public who take a bit of interest have been OK wiht her for a while but since things like Di's 20th anniversary, and the Crown TV series etc the somewhat negative mindset has grown again...
Besides I think that people who tended to like Meghan and Harry are likely to be Diana fans as well,

It's been 15 years already since Camilla became a working member of the RF and, although she is not as hated as she was in the Diana years, she has not become particularly popular either.

Camilla seems to be comfortable with her low profile and not being the "Princess of Wales", but rather just the Duchess of Cornwall. I think she would be comfortable too with being the Princess Consort and won't insist on being crowned Queen. The early years of Charles' reign will be shaky as QEII will leave big shoes to fill and Charles is not popular either. I don't see him wanting to stir up controversy by reneging on his previously announced "intention" that Camilla be styled as Princess Consort.

I’m sure they’ve both -especially Charles- acknowledged that they won’t ever be popular, and come to terms with it. I understand why he wouldn’t want to antagonize the public, but I also think it’s hideously unfair...even if Camilla doesn’t care.

When Charles is King, Queen Camilla will be a thing. She will die a Queen.

I am torn on Camilla, it's clear Charles loved her his whole life and really only needed heirs so he married Diana. Diana's family should have been more suspicious with how young she was. She was young and naïve. Camilla was the other woman, will always be seen that way to others but in reality she's the true love and the love of his life. If Charles wasn't an heir, he would have married her years ago.

Charles & Camilla handled things very poorly but it's clear he's always been in love with her and she's in love with him. I also am a Diana fan and I feel for her knowing she lost her life, Camilla is now the step-mom to her kids and will be a step-grandparent to her kids. It must be hard to be dead and watch the woman you hate around your family. I always wondered if Harry & William resent her, but it's whatever. I think the public will never move on because Diana died. if Diana had lived, it would have been easier to accept Camila as Diana would have lived her own life.

When Charles is King, Queen Camilla will be a thing. She will die a Queen.

I am torn on Camilla, it's clear Charles loved her his whole life and really only needed heirs so he married Diana. Diana's family should have been more suspicious with how young she was. She was young and naïve. Camilla was the other woman, will always be seen that way to others but in reality she's the true love and the love of his life. If Charles wasn't an heir, he would have married her years ago.

Charles & Camilla handled things very poorly but it's clear he's always been in love with her and she's in love with him. I also am a Diana fan and I feel for her knowing she lost her life, Camilla is now the step-mom to her kids and will be a step-grandparent to her kids. It must be hard to be dead and watch the woman you hate around your family. I always wondered if Harry & William resent her, but it's whatever. I think the public will never move on because Diana died. if Diana had lived, it would have been easier to accept Camila as Diana would have lived her own life.

Barring a small minority, I think most people have accepted Camilla as Charles' wife. They have been married 15 years. Diana and Charles divorced 24 years ago, and Diana died 23 years ago. They were not the first couple to divorce. C&C were not the first couple to have an extra-marital affair and then marry. c30-40% of UK marriages end in divorce.

Barring a small minority, I think most people have accepted Camilla as Charles' wife. They have been married 15 years. Diana and Charles divorced 24 years ago, and Diana died 23 years ago. They were not the first couple to divorce. C&C were not the first couple to have an extra-marital affair and then marry. c30-40% of UK marriages end in divorce.

Of course not and I agree, but it's the way Diana was used for heirs, cheated on and then had a tragic death that leaves a sour taste in people's mouths. Then Camilla has stepped in to be her kids step-mother and step-grandmother.

He will make her Queen, regardless what it is the public opinion. She will never be as popular and loved as Diane. But she is the person who had always loved. It was ashamed that he wasn't understood from the beginning so Diana had not to endure her life living with him. One thing I will never understand after the disaster life of Margrethe's life without the love of her life how is possible the Queen did not get the message?

What makes you think that it was the Queen who prevented Charles from marrying Camilla? As far as I understand, that is not what happened.

I've read that Charles' marriage to Camilla is what made it possible for Harry to wed Meghan.

Still, I agree with Denville that there are still many Diana fans who will always see Camilla as the obstacle to the "fairytale" marriage.
It's not fair, but it is what it is.

I've read that Charles' marriage to Camilla is what made it possible for Harry to wed Meghan.

Still, I agree with Denville that there are still many Diana fans who will always see Camilla as the obstacle to the "fairytale" marriage.
It's not fair, but it is what it is.

That seems to be the attitude that Charles and Camilla have taken...they certainly aren’t courting popularity, just doing their thing, which I find admirable.

I do wish that people would get past all this. It was a long time ago. Camilla has worked so hard over the past 15 years. William and Harry clearly get on with her. She makes Prince Charles happy - and he must take a lot of putting up with.

There never was a fairytale marriage. Charles and Diana were not suited. If they hadn't been the Prince and Princess of Wales, they'd have got divorced after a few years, tried to get on for the sake of the children, and both moved on with their lives. But, as others have said, some people just can't seem to accept that!

I never get the impression that the Queen tried to stop Charles from marrying Camilla in the 1970s. I don't think the question ever arose. Camilla chose to marry Andrew Parker Bowles: I don't get the impression that marriage between her and Charles at that point was ever on the cards.

Last edited:
He will make her Queen, regardless what it is the public opinion. She will never be as popular and loved as Diane. But she is the person who had always loved. It was ashamed that he wasn't understood from the beginning so Diana had not to endure her life living with him. One thing I will never understand after the disaster life of Margrethe's life without the love of her life how is possible the Queen did not get the message?

Because Diana said yes. She didn't ask for more time or a break. She wanted to marry Charles.

Back
Top Bottom