The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry’s entire immediate family, that is wife and son and daughter live in California. And there are lots of people who, after marriage, don’t see that much of their birth family, especially cousins and their children throughout the year.

This is true and it's inevitable that families grow more distant over time, especially if they don't really get along. It's also true though that family events eg weddings & funerals tend to bring people together again, where bonds are reformed and memories are shared. Given that Meghan doesn't associate with her half-siblings, and Harry has alienated his brother and father, they're pretty much isolated in terms of family, which is sad for their children I think.

Her birthday was on a day when most/all were working. They couldn’t go. There were some rumours that the Phillips/ Tindells send their daughters. I for one didn’t believe it because they were going to the house of someone they barely knew to see children they didn’t know. So no I don’t think anyone did go but really what was expected.

Heard they saw the Queen who wouldn’t allow pictures.

I thought that last year, when it was very obvious that the queen was really close to the end, and she had been struggling to do as many of her Jubilee duties as she could manage, the Sussexes were invited to Balmoral to see the queen for a private visit and they did not come.. so is seeing their family, or having the kids have birthday parties with the family, really high on their list of priorities.

[.....]
We don’t know if he’ll be at the coronation. When Charles was brought for a little while at his mother’s coronation it was because he was the heir apparent. Neither Louis nor Archie or Lili are, so there’s no real reason to bring them in. On the other hand, Louis has started school since the pageant, I reckon his patience to stay calmly in his seat has grown. We’ll find out in less than three weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It remains so sad and a lost opportunity because the Sussexes easily could have been the most well-liked royals, with the widest approach in all layers of society.

This week the London correspondent for NOS Journaal and VRT Nieuws (from the Dutch and Flemish public broadcasters) wrote a column in which she claimed: it is not too late for Meghan.

She pointed to a certain Ms Camilla Parker-Bowles born Shand, once nicknamed the Rottweiler, once labelled as "The Most Hated Person In The UK". And look at her now. If Camilla can make a come back, so can Meghan. After all she has done no crime, no misdemeanour, she just happens to be married with a most complexed husband.

Last edited:
Meghan wants to be rich and famous, not royal. She only uses her royal connextion to keep Americans interested so that they will buy her books and Harry's books, and generally make money for her. There are minimal requirement for Royals if they want to go on as working royals and Meghan was not prepared to abide by those rules. It seems from Harry's book that Meg found the whole thing silly and at best funny at worst annoying, and you can't do that.

[.....]
George is in Year 5, the coronation should be fine for him. Charlotte on previous appearances as well. Louis is too young for two hours. I would be worried about him needing to go to the toilet at the very least and about his ants in pants after around half an hour. The jump children make from reception 4-5 to Y1 5-6 is immense in terms of physical ability to sit, bone development, control of bladders etc and emotional maturity. One reason why I think school entrance age should be raised a year in the UK. And I do know what I am talking about as I teach this age.

Archie and Lili are way too young to even be there and probs way too inexperienced with all this to not freak out being brought into a hugely busy church for even a few minutes to see the crowning of their grandfather. Have they ever been in a church. It would be wildly inappropriate. They don’t even know any of these people.

It remains so sad and a lost opportunity because the Sussexes easily could have been the most well-liked royals, with the widest approach in all layers of society.

This week the London correspondent for NOS Journaal and VRT Nieuws (from the Dutch and Flemish public broadcasters) wrote a column in which she claimed: it is not too late for Meghan.

She pointed to a certain Ms Camilla Parker-Bowles born Shand, once nicknamed the Rottweiler, once labelled as "The Most Hated Person In The UK". And look at her now. If Camilla can make a come back, so can Meghan. After all she has done no crime, no misdemeanour, she just happens to be married with a most complexed husband.

She’d have to want to which based on evidence she doesn’t.

[.....]
There is no reason for Archie and Lili to be at the coronation and to take them all the way to England for a couple of hours with their grandfather is really not worth it.

I wouldn’t say they would have been the most liked royals, but rather simply well liked. Well Camilla has never written nasty books about the BRF and she never sought to put herself above anyone in royal hierarchy for money or popularity that’s why she’s more palatable. The Sussexes keep seeking silly commercial ventures to promote themselves for money and fame and antagonising the family time and time again.

but that is what they wanted to do. They said when they left that they wanted to be half in half out, and make an income for themselves. And in all honesty, the only way they could make a handsome income is by revealing or exaggerating the private lives of the other royals to the public. They were not going to get a book published talking about a charity or giving mild anecdotes about William or Charles.
But it seems very clear that Meghan really found the RF silly and tiresome and could not see what it was all about, and did not want to play her role in it.

but that is what they wanted to do. They said when they left that they wanted to be half in half out, and make an income for themselves. And in all honesty, the only way they could make a handsome income is by revealing or exaggerating the private lives of the other royals to the public. They were not going to get a book published talking about a charity or giving mild anecdotes about William or Charles.
But it seems very clear that Meghan really found the RF silly and tiresome and could not see what it was all about, and did not want to play her role in it.

I think she was fine when she was giving speeches, [.....]while on tour in the commonwealth. She also seemed fine at the big occasions. Its just the day to day of it that probably bored her: garden parties, shaking hands, making small talk. You know the majority of their work.

To be fair that is how she seems to working now too. Statement visits. Speeches. Awards.

I think she was fine when she was giving speeches, [.....]while on tour in the commonwealth. She also seemed fine at the big occasions. Its just the day to day of it that probably bored her: garden parties, shaking hands, making small talk. You know the majority of their work.

To be fair that is how she seems to working now too. Statement visits. Speeches. Awards.

Actually, what I think got to her wasn't necessarily the day-to-day, repetitive nature of the garden parties, shaking hands and small talk, but rather the fact that she couldn't accept freebies from designers and other tradespeople. That's not how it works in the entertainment industry and it seems pretty clear that neither she nor Harry were happy with whatever budget Charles set for them and the fact that they couldn't go the freebie route either.

[.....]

It's a shame that Archie and Lili won't get the opportunity to spend time with their Grandad, too. It could have happened, but sadly now it will not.

In line with everything that's happened.
Would not things have been more serious if Harry had been the eldest son?

In line with everything that's happened.
Would not things have been more serious if Harry had been the eldest son?
True. I honestly think he would have reacted the same way.. complained that William had more freedom, and he was stuck with being the heir etc etc.

It probably didn't go down well and while I question a lot of Meghan and Harry's thinking about other things, this I can fully understand. The papers have been briefing for weeks about how Archie and Lili are not invited to anything to do with the Coronation while roles were being planned for other grandchildren and step-grandchildren. What's the point in making Archie and Lili travel 11 hours just to be excluded? I imagine Harry and Meghan have learned their lesson from the Platinum Jubilee where the papers were being briefed on how many royals were happy to snub Lili's birthday party. The kids don't need to be dragged into this and should be in California where they have Doria and family friends who are happy to see them and spend time with them.

In general I think this is the right decision for all parties. The focus stays on the King and Queen as it should, Meghan can take care of the kids in California, and Harry fulfills his obligation to his father.

The step-grandchildren were included because they are the Queen Consort's grandchildren and are old enough to have a role, e.g. serving as the Queen Consort's pages. George, Charlotte and Louis were included because they are the children of the heir to the Crown and the monarchy, being an institution based on primogeniture, has an inherent hierarchy.

Meghan's decision not to attend plays into her "victimization narrative" that she and the children are ostracized and cannot go to the UK because they would be snubbed. That is, however, far from the truth. The King would be totally justified not to invite Harry and Meghan to the coronation after what they pulled in the Netflix docuseries and Spare. However, he extended them an olive branch and send them an invitation. At the ceremony itself, they would be treated exactly like other non-working royals (which they themselves chose to be), no more, no less. Prince Andrew and his daughters won't be in the coronation procession or the balcony either and won't have any role in the service. And Archie and Lilibet would never attend the service anyway because they are too young and are not in a category like Louis (one of the heir's sons) that requires them to attend. That doesn't mean that Archie and Lilibet would be mistreated or that the Family would be hostile to them. On the contrary, I am pretty sure the King would be delighted to see them in private and loves them very much.

As I see it, Meghan is the one who deliberately keeps the children from having any contact with Harry's family to feed into her narrative that the children are "unwanted" or "discriminated against" and must build, to quote the Netflix docuseries, a new "family of friends" in California (unsurprisingly the line you are repeating here). We know for example that the Sussex family was invited to spend the summer at Balmoral in the past and turned it down. It is very unfortunate that the children have been caught in Meghan's scheming like that.

Last edited:
I think re the children and roles - only George is getting to be a page right? Charlotte and Louis will just be watching (unless other roles are announced that haven't been yet) and taking part in the procession.

A huge part of why the Sussex's children may not be involved is - how are they going to rehearse? If they weren't going to arrive well ahead of the service then were they expected to just turn up and know what to do? They aren't even in the same time zone to talk it through online nor in the UK to be able to go to BP and practise even without Charles and everyone else.

As such as Meghan and Harry may be upset at the children not being included I'm sure they'd be more upset if Archie looked less prepared than the others. Add in to that that relations between Harry and Meghan aren't on best terms with most fo the RF and their staff that would just create tension and be a recipe for disaster. It just doesn't work.

An extended series of off topic posts have been removed. Please stick to the topic of the thread.

Actually, what I think got to her wasn't necessarily the day-to-day, repetitive nature of the garden parties, shaking hands and small talk, but rather the fact that she couldn't accept freebies from designers and other tradespeople. That's not how it works in the entertainment industry and it seems pretty clear that neither she nor Harry were happy with whatever budget Charles set for them and the fact that they couldn't go the freebie route either.

Oh that definitely bothered her too. But so did the stuff that ai mentioned. She wanted to leave the only garden party she went too. Probably didn't understand that walking around making small talk with the well deserving guests was the point.

The step-grandchildren were included because they are the Queen Consort's grandchildren and are old enough to have a role, e.g. serving as the Queen Consort's pages. George, Charlotte and Louis were included because they are the children of the heir to the Crown and the monarchy, being an institution based on primogeniture, has an inherent hierarchy.

Meghan's decision not to attend plays into her "victimization narrative" that she and the children are ostracized and cannot go to the UK because they would be snubbed. That is, however, far from the truth. The King would be totally justified not to invite Harry and Meghan to the coronation after what they pulled in the Netflix docuseries and Spare. However, he extended them an olive branch and send them an invitation. At the ceremony itself, they would be treated exactly like other non-working royals (which they themselves chose to be), no more, no less. Prince Andrew and his daughters won't be in the coronation procession or the balcony either and won't have any role in the service. And Archie and Lilibet would never attend the service anyway because they are too young and are not in a category like Louis (one of the heir's sons) that requires them to attend. That doesn't mean that Archie and Lilibet would be mistreated or that the Family would be hostile to them. On the contrary, I am pretty sure the King would be delighted to see them in private and loves them very much.

As I see it, Meghan is the one who deliberately keeps the children from having any contact with Harry's family to feed into her narrative that the children are "unwanted" or "discriminated against" and must build, to quote the Netflix docuseries, a new "family of friends" in California (unsurprisingly the line you are repeating here). We know for example that the Sussex family was invited to spend the summer at Balmoral in the past and turned it down. It is very unfortunate that the children have been caught in Meghan's scheming like that.

Respectfully, I would like to know what leads you to confidently make the assertion that I'm "unsurprisingly repeating a line" here. I haven't posted very frequently and when I do I think I take a pretty even handed stance towards Harry and Meghan. I don't dislike them or take every bad media story about them at face value - but I also realize they've made some bad choices that have impacted other people and there are consequences to those.

What prompted me to respond originally is Archie and Lili being dragged into this yet again in the "grandchild vs grandchild" narrative that the media has manufactured in recent weeks (a narrative I fear will only continue as they get older). The way they are talked about from all different media sources is frankly embarrassing and disgraceful - and from my view, all because people are unable to fully separate their personal dislike of the parents from their two kids who have done nothing wrong. I think Meghan and Harry are justified to believe their kids will be snubbed or subject to mean commentary if they go over there and have made the right decision to keep them home. My opinion in this regard well predates the Coronation debate on whether or not they should attend but I suspect that veers too off topic for this thread so I will leave it at that.

It probably didn't go down well and while I question a lot of Meghan and Harry's thinking about other things, this I can fully understand. The papers have been briefing for weeks about how Archie and Lili are not invited to anything to do with the Coronation while roles were being planned for other grandchildren and step-grandchildren. What's the point in making Archie and Lili travel 11 hours just to be excluded? I imagine Harry and Meghan have learned their lesson from the Platinum Jubilee where the papers were being briefed on how many royals were happy to snub Lili's birthday party. The kids don't need to be dragged into this and should be in California where they have Doria and family friends who are happy to see them and spend time with them.

In general I think this is the right decision for all parties. The focus stays on the King and Queen as it should, Meghan can take care of the kids in California, and Harry fulfills his obligation to his father.

The Sussex children are too young to actually take part but it is the couples choice to not bring them at all. Nobody from the palace has ever said the children are not wanted. As for the papers being briefed that the royals were happy to snub Lilis party., well I never read that. I did read that all the family had other commitments due to the Jubilee, which was true.

I do not believe for one minute that Charles does not want to see his grandchildren. I have my own opinion as to why the children are not coming but I will leave it at that.

I sometimes think we are inclined to believe media reports that it suits us to believe while discounting other stories as tabloid rubbish or as some of you like to say the daily fail.

Last edited:
If it is true, as I seem to remember it, that the Sussexes didnt take the kids to visit the queen when they were in the UK in her last months of life, do they really care if the children see cousins at a kids birthday party?

Unfortunately I believe Archie and Lili will be collateral damage in the fallout between Harry, William, and Charles. I honestly don't see any way around it.

Had the breech happened later, when 'older' children, or teens, there would have been some warm memories and shared experiences to fall back on.

Regardless of what had transpired between the Adults. That happened in my own Family when two siblings fell out horribly. Still till today too.
The niece and nephews maintained relationships with the Uncle, and the Cousins all themselves have a warm relationship. Because of a SHARED past together, events and visits.

Looks like that won't be the case here at all for the Wales and Sussex's, only George will have fleeting memories of Uncle Harry.

I really don't see William and Harry repairing the relationship any time soon. An unfortunately, the biter allegations of wrongdoing are ALL public.

In Interviews, Books and Docu-series. At the click of a finger, no less to pull up.

What a mess down the line for Sussex's kids. Innocent of this public relations disaster. The names and faces they will see on TV and Print of their first cousins, who will surely be media darlings and uncle, William The Prince of Wales and future King.

Unless Harry and Meghan can forge a path forward thru Charles for say Balmoral visits for ALL his grandchildren to spend time together. Minus The
Wales and Sussex's, Adults. With Beatrice, Eugenie, and The Tindall kids there too.

That would be lovely. But my fear is that it will never happen. To much anger and bitterness between The Wales and Sussex's. Zero trust and fear.....

Last edited:
And it all began on July 29, 1981, when a couple with totally different ideas about what marriage means, actually married. And the fallout from that day continues, and saturates every familial issue.

All valid feelings, but realistically there are many people who don't have a family and cousins and who have made their own circle of friends to be close with.
Sometimes friends are better for a person than some families are.

Archie and Lily know their family nucleus, with Grandma Doria, and mum and dad's friend and their children.

We at TRF like royals and want others to like them too, but Archie and Lily live in a different world, and might not even be interested in royal stuff.

And it all began on July 29, 1981, when a couple with totally different ideas about what marriage means, actually married. And the fallout from that day continues, and saturates every familial issue.

That couple in the end got divorced, and after that actually there were signs that they came to be on speaking terms again.
Unfortunately time was cut short so the world, like that couple, could leave that relationship behind them.

It's others who are clinging on that memory, that should have ended in 1996, 27 years ago.

If it is true, as I seem to remember it, that the Sussexes didnt take the kids to visit the queen when they were in the UK in her last months of life, do they really care if the children see cousins at a kids birthday party?

Yes they publicly turned down and invitation to go to Balmoral. Given that I don't think they can complain that no one turned up at Lili's birthday party on the busiest weekend of the year when many of them were working.

I don't believe a lot of what the press says about the Sussexes but I believe the Sussexes themselves even less. Everything I dislike about them, I've seen first had from their own words and actions.

I think it is for the best that Meghan doesn't come (the kids are an excuse considering they were away from them for weeks during the funeral) but I'm also curious about what's going to "drop" like a hand picked artisan wreath during the service. ;)

All by all I hope the family will find a way to reconcile. In the end no one has committed a crime or a misdemeanour. It is just a gigantic clash of incompatible characters with lots of complexities.

Last edited:
Its more than that. Lots of people have disputes with their families and often they are justified in getting angry with them, but they don't go on tv and write books making a complaint about them.

All by all I hope the family will find a way to reconcile. In the end no one has committed a crime or a misdemeanour. It is just a gigantic clash of incompatible characters with lots of complexities.

They also said certain things that were incorrect, which does not lead to good family relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom