The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the comments about her working were made when they were still only dating, it felt very much that she gave up her job early on to their relationship becoming public. She could have worked through the engagement period.

I also wonder if maybe the late Queen and Charles didn't think maybe she could do something more full time - a NGO or not for profit linked with acting etc that she could work for a few days a week and still have the flexibility to go to some royal duties when needed, foreign tours etc but something a bit short of full time royal but her other job (crucially) would not be commercial.

Ithey got an office, under the Queen and BP purview which may well have had some funding from both the Sovereign grant, Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy fo Cornwall funds. In other words - Charles seems to have been right in what he said - that he couldn't pay for a full household, but a solution was found that allowed Harry and Meghan to still do duties for the RF so wasn't really a big deal.

Sounds to me like once again Harry and Meghan taking a comment made by the family and trying to turn it into a huge snub and example of how badly they were treated when in fact the family and Household found a workable solution to accommodate them. Sounds to me like they wanted a bigger office and household than anyone else, more like William's than Anne, Edward etc and Charles said no, whilst still funding a decent sized operation for them.

Their own website during their great "Sussexit" sulk laid it out pretty clearly

How has the Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex been funded up to now?
Since the establishment of The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, 95 percent of the funding received for their Office expenditure is derived from income allocated by HRH The Prince of Wales, generated through the Duchy of Cornwall. This provision has been in place since Prince William and Prince Harry first established their offices in support of The Queen, and is the responsibility of The Prince of Wales. This information continues to be available on The Duchy of Cornwall website.

Where does the other five percent come from?
As described above, the remaining five percent of funding for the Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, covering costs associated with employing members of their official office, is received through the Sovereign Grant...

it seems to me that Charles supplied much the same funding for his 2 sons, and he was able to do so? Unless he did get some help from the queen/DOL funds to provide clothes, support and so on for Meghan. But Harry did imply in his book that WIlliam got the 2 sausages ad he only got one.. that Will's room was bigger than his and so on

Perhaps Charles merely meant he couldn't afford to pay for Meghan in the style she desired?
Her engagement dress by Ralph & Russo reportedly cost 56,000 pounds.
(It was said at the time she paid for it herself, but it later turned out she never did, and KP quietly settled the bill.)

I can see why Charles wouldn't want to fork over for that sort of thing.

It was said at the time that the dress was ‘privately purchased’. We don’t know that KP paid for it at all. Charles wouldn’t be likely to be paying for an engagement dress for a woman that had not yet married into the RF. It’s much more likely that it was either a freebie or very discounted and that either Harry or Meghan or both had paid for it.

it seems to me that Charles supplied much the same funding for his 2 sons, and he was able to do so? Unless he did get some help from the queen/DOL funds to provide clothes, support and so on for Meghan. But Harry did imply in his book that WIlliam got the 2 sausages ad he only got one.. that Will's room was bigger than his and so on

I stand by my previous interpretation. I don't think Charles meant that Meghan would have to keep working as an actress to support herself. He meant instead that the Office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be funded by the usual sources (the Duchy of Cornwall and the Sovereign Grant), but there would be no (extra) personal allowance for the Duchess. Her clothing bill for example would have to fit into the regular Sussex budget.

Perhaps Charles merely meant he couldn't afford to pay for Meghan in the style she desired?
(It was said at the time she paid for it herself, but it later turned out she never did, and KP quietly settled the bill.)

I can see why Charles wouldn't want to fork over for that sort of thing.
Wow, a dress for 56,000 pounds? That is $69,282.02 in dollars - that is more than many people earn in a year’s salary. That is OTT IMHO:eek:

One might ask why a woman so devoted to eradicating global poverty would present herself wearing a jaw-droppingly expensive dress. I'd have difficulty answering that question without using the words 'wannabe-princess', 'tone-deaf' and 'hypocrisy'.

If she were dedicated to that, she'd live on the money inherited from Diana, and do volunteer work

It was said in British tabloids that the dress cost that much. We don’t know that it did in reality, or if it did, that Meghan paid full price for it. And Meghan didn’t join the BRF until the following May so how she paid for it would have been her own business not the Palace’s.

Last edited:
as she wasn't yet officially a member of the RF she may have borrowed it or got it heavily discounted / free for the PR it garnered - we know she wanted to carry on accepting freebies after she married.

as she wasn't yet officially a member of the RF she may have borrowed it or got it heavily discounted / free for the PR it garnered - we know she wanted to carry on accepting freebies after she married.

I read that she assumed it was a freebie but it turned out not to be. To avoid any bad PR about the unpaid bill, KP settled it in the end.

Last edited:
Harry does write in Spare that his father said there was not enough money (in the Duchy funds) to go round. On a shooting expedition at Sandringham as they were out in the fields, Harry writes that his father asked if Meghan was going to continue working.

Harry then pointed out that Suits was filmed in Toronto and that after their marriage he expected that his wife would join him in the royal round in England. Charles then says specifically that there is not enough money to go around as he has to support William and Catherine (and his wife and himself.) Harry is rather taken aback at this, but then writes about asking his grandmother’s permission to marry, after picking up dead birds and then returning to the car with the dogs on that same weekend shoot.

From US Weekly Magazine

The Duke of Sussex, 38, claimed that his father, 74, told him “there’s not enough money to go around” because he was “already having to pay” for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, both 40.

“Pa didn’t financially support Willy and me, and our families, out of any largesse,” the Invictus Games founder wrote in an excerpt from Spare exclusively obtained by Us Weekly. “That was his job. That was the whole deal. We agreed to serve the monarch, go wherever we were sent, do whatever we were told, surrender our autonomy, keep our hands and feet inside the gilded cage at all times, and in exchange the keepers of the cage agreed to feed and clothe us.”
That wasn’t his job. The Duchy of Cornwall money has never been decreed that the POW (whoever they may be at anytime) has to or had to fund any of his children with an allowance or pay expenses. Charles chose to give money to his sons. Both of his sons received the same amounts of money before and after Harry got married till he left the country.

That wasn’t his job. The Duchy of Cornwall money has never been decreed that the POW (whoever they may be at anytime) has to or had to fund any of his children with an allowance or pay expenses. Charles chose to give money to his sons. Both of his sons received the same amounts of money before and after Harry got married till he left the country.

well that's true but Charles has an income from the Duchy and it makes sense to help his sons, and spare the tax payer from having to support them fully. As far as I know he gave roughly the same to both sons, unless Will got a bit more because he had a wife and kids to support.

well that's true but Charles has an income from the Duchy and it makes sense to help his sons, and spare the tax payer from having to support them fully. As far as I know he gave roughly the same to both sons, unless Will got a bit more because he had a wife and kids to support.

It doesn't matter how much money was given to Harry, it was never going to be enough if his wife was buying dresses that cost £50,000 (engagement dress) or £100,000 rumoured price of Dior gown for the dinner in Morocco.

well we dont know what Meghan was spending on clothes. It may be that Charles did mean that he could not spend mega money on her dress allowance but it may not. This is all rumours

I was responding to what Curryong posted about what Harry said to US weekly about the funding saying “Pa didn’t financially support Willy and me, and our families, out of any largesse,” the Invictus Games founder wrote in an excerpt from Spare exclusively obtained by Us Weekly. “That was his job. That was the whole deal. We agreed to serve the monarch, go wherever we were sent, do whatever we were told, surrender our autonomy, keep our hands and feet inside the gilded cage at all times, and in exchange the keepers of the cage agreed to feed and clothe us.” My point is that he misunderstands the point of the funding and does not understand the history of the funding that’s why I said that it was never mandatory or decreed that the POW had to give money to his sons regardless of whether it saves the taxpayer money or not.

Last edited:
well we dont know what Meghan was spending on clothes. It may be that Charles did mean that he could not spend mega money on her dress allowance but it may not. This is all rumours

“Mega money!” That’s actually funny⭐

I was responding to what Curryong posted about what Harry said to US weekly about the funding saying “Pa didn’t financially support Willy and me, and our families, out of any largesse,” the Invictus Games founder wrote in an excerpt from Spare exclusively obtained by Us Weekly. “That was his job. That was the whole deal. We agreed to serve the monarch, go wherever we were sent, do whatever we were told, surrender our autonomy, keep our hands and feet inside the gilded cage at all times, and in exchange the keepers of the cage agreed to feed and clothe us.” My point is that he misunderstands the point of the funding and does not understand the history of the funding that’s why I said that it was never mandatory or decreed that the POW had to give money to his sons regardless of whether it saves the taxpayer money or not.

This was the same Harry who complained that his father had cut him off financially after he left the working royals but in his own words he states that you received the money in return for agreeing to serve the monarchy.

He needs to make up his mind.

This was the same Harry who complained that his father had cut him off financially after he left the working royals but in his own words he states that you received the money in return for agreeing to serve the monarchy.

He needs to make up his mind.

Harry’s never worried about consistency. I think the source of tension is the mismatch between what Harry felt he was entitled to and what Charles was willing to give.

Charles likely had an amount in mind that would cover what he felt were reasonable expenses for each son. It doesn’t sound like he was willing to routinely provide money for things he considered to be luxuries. That seems fair, especially since William and Harry were also able to make use of the inheritance they received from Diana.

I also think it’s reasonable to assume that, once he became King, Charles would have planned to substantially increase the amount he gave to Harry since he’d no longer be giving any money to William.

Except that Charles would no longer be in charge of Duchy of Cornwall funds but Duchy of Lancaster ones, and since he became King he doesn’t appear to have increased funds to anyone. On the contrary, he appears to be on a cost-cutting campaign.

And we don’t know, as only the total sum was mentioned in the audited accounts each year, exactly what sum each son received.

Harry’s never worried about consistency. I think the source of tension is the mismatch between what Harry felt he was entitled to and what Charles was willing to give.

Charles likely had an amount in mind that would cover what he felt were reasonable expenses for each son. It doesn’t sound like he was willing to routinely provide money for things he considered to be luxuries. That seems fair, especially since William and Harry were also able to make use of the inheritance they received from Diana.

I also think it’s reasonable to assume that, once he became King, Charles would have planned to substantially increase the amount he gave to Harry since he’d no longer be giving any money to William.

The money given to them comes in accounts and roughly equates to covering their office and the women’s clothes. Add to that free housing etc.

Charles could easily afford to support them but how much money did he want.

As per the Duchy accounts he didn’t pay for the Cambridge children’s schooling for example.

As per Harry’s book, money is a huge issue for them. Who knows what’s they wanted from him. It’s the oddest thing because Charles had money but what did they want? Also very upsetting to hear Harry was swearing down the phone at Charles basically asking for more money the whole time.

Except that Charles would no longer be in charge of Duchy of Cornwall funds but Duchy of Lancaster ones, and since he became King he doesn’t appear to have increased funds to anyone. On the contrary, he appears to be on a cost-cutting campaign.

And we don’t know, as only the total sum was mentioned in the audited accounts each year, exactly what sum each son received.

It was more detailed than that. It basically was their working expenses. He didn’t pay for either of their lifestyles.

It was more detailed than that. It basically was their working expenses. He didn’t pay for either of their lifestyles.

I do remember articles stating accounts showed that Charles was paying for numerology sessions among other things, though I can't remember the context, so it may be far from the mark.

Regardless, we know Charles funded their lives as working royals and given that they were all set to be the "Commonwealth Couple" (a role they now seem to want back) and with various cousins retiring in the next decade, it seems that Charles had long term plans for their working life including funding them.

It's just that it wasn't enough. They claimed they only started negotiating with "the streamers" once he "cut them off" but we know know that was a lie and they have admitted they started doing so in January 2019 - a year before they left. Add to that everything else about not accepting freebies, not reselling things, not merching things and not being allowed to do Oprah(!) and their lifestyle plans were simply too much and at odds with the BRF. Considering their house and Meghan's talk of the "super rich" lifestyle in The Cut, their tastes probably dwarf what Harry's inheritance can provide, maybe even what they've actually earned from their deals long term.

Regarding his quote, fine, he wanted to step outside the "gilded cage" and become financially independent and did so, so why is he complaining about it? If they were satisfied without things were going then they wouldn't bother complaining about having been cut off or Charles essentially providing a salary for working in the family Firm. Money has strings attached, news at 11!

I have no proof of this, but I do think if they had really wanted privacy and to live quietly somewhere or wanted to retrain etc then Charles would help them out if they needed it but it's beyond galling to be yelled at for money by people who denigrate you and you're life's work at every turn.

It's also been assumed by many people including me that one reason for Harry's lawsuit against the government for security is because that would alleviate one huge expense for them.

I just looked at accounts for last number of years.

Yeah Charles really could not afford to keep them in the way they currently keep themselves. Basically a million or two a year but I would bet anything they wanted more.

So actually if discuss their wants and what Charles had available…then no he couldn’t afford it.

It will interesting to see the returns next year. William obviously has less expenses and less expensive tastes then Charles.

I think Charles does have expenisve tastes but he also has used his money to help his staff during Lockdown and for the less fortunate. I thik that Will is from a different age and is happy to live a simpler life, but Harry seems to not want to lead the formal life of a royal but to spend even more than the more extravagant royals

Still *allegedly* no definitive word on whether The Sussex's will attend The Coronation in less than a month. Its these cat and mouse tactics that I find so annoying with them.

If I feel that way, I can ONLY imagine what the Teams tasked with organizing the logistics of ALL aspects of the Participants in Coronation Events feel. Contingencies ......one way or the other. On top of the Family Members and the on going discussions ( more likely bargaining) as to whether the Sussex's will grace them with an appearance.

Why the sideshow games ? Are there negotiations going on between The Sussex's and Charles Team ? What DO the Sussex's want for them to show up. Looks like the "Meeting -Sit down" with Charles & William, with an apology to Meghan is OUT. We know The Balcony is OUT too.

But I'm wondering, with all the Foreign Royals attending and Foreign Political Leaders and Dignitaries, is there going to be a Reception to host them ? I couldn't find anything referencing that.

Except that Friday night before the "big day" Charles is having nothing scheduled. So he and Camilla will be rested and ready. I know Jill Biden is representing Joe Biden, I'm just curious if Buckingham Palace is having any type of Reception for all these VIP's after the Coronation Festivities ? A Luncheon on Sunday ? A cocktail meet and greet ? That seems like something that Harry and Meghan WOULD love to participate in. Mingle and network......Build up Brand Sussex.

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Or formal recognition of Prince Archie and Princess Lili in some capacity ? A brief appearance for Archie at The Coronation ?
But they obviously want something.......

Last edited:
But I'm wondering, with all the Foreign Royals attending and Foreign Political Leaders and Dignitaries, is there going to be a Reception to host them ? I couldn't find anything referencing that.

Except that Friday night before the "big day" Charles is having nothing scheduled. So he and Camilla will be rested and ready. I know Jill Biden is representing Joe Biden, I'm just curious if Buckingham Palace is having any type of Reception for all these VIP's after the Coronation Festivities ? A Luncheon on Sunday ? A cocktail meet and greet ? That seems like something that Harry and Meghan WOULD love to participate in. Mingle and network......Build up Brand Sussex.

My understanding is that there will be a reception on Friday, 5 May for world leaders. This will not be too unlike the event hosted at BP the evening before QE2's funeral. Harry & Meghan are unlikely to be invited to that event as it will be a state event, attended only by working members of the BRF.

It's extremely rude to leave it so long without answering an invitation.

muriel, thanks. Yes, they are as non working Royals likely to not be invited, but this is soooo up their Alley to want to be there and "mingle".
And Alison H, I COMPLETELY AGREE. Their rudeness is appalling, it matches their arrogance.

Love to know whats behind their tactics. Must be a doozy ! Wonder if Harry is using " reconciliation " as a bargaining chip, or I'm the Kings "son" too ?
They want something very badly I think.

With these games......"will they-won't they come", I believe this is the last hurrah for Sussex's at UK Events. NO future Trooping The Colour, Ascot, ect. If they refuse to RSVP for this ......why bother with other invites to Events ?

So short sighted. Especially for their children. They should have responded that They would attend the Coronation and kept a low profile. Been grateful for the invite AFTER all the drama with everything they said and did for the last three years.

Can't imagine what Archie and Lili will make of all this down the line.

Last edited:
It was said in British tabloids that the dress cost that much. We don’t know that it did in reality, or if it did, that Meghan paid full price for it. And Meghan didn’t join the BRF until the following May so how she paid for it would have been her own business not the Palace’s.

Vanity Fair also said the dress did cost as much and I would consider that magazine reliable regaining fashion. Now we don't exactly know who paid but is not that difficult for magazines to find our costs for dresses.

Playing devils advocate. I think I am right in saying that the palace has not confirmed any attendees , it is the guests themselves who have confirmed their attendance. It is possible that the couple have advised the palace of their intentions but it has not been made public for whatever reason.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom