The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible Meghan didn't know that Gillibrand had not informed her colleagues she was giving their numbers out, or simply assumed it must be fine given the source? Again, it's a bit pretentious, entitled, and naive, but you'd have to fault the senator for enabling her, not Meghan.

What I wonder is, how, with her background of advocacy and charity work, did she suddenly decide that there are no paid leave groups in California that could use her voice, and that she needed and was entitled to work directly with senators all of a sudden? (Not even anybody in the House of Representatives?) Whether she means to or not, it comes across as her first, cause second.

And I seem to remember back when they were still working in the BRF they introduced themselves as "Harry and Meghan", all the time. Now on the outside, she is permanently reminding everyone she has a title, even when ludicrously inappropriate.

Last edited:
Is it possible Meghan didn't know that Gillibrand had not informed her colleagues she was giving their numbers out, or simply assumed it must be fine given the source? Again, it's a bit pretentious, entitled, and naive, but you'd have to fault the senator for enabling her, not Meghan.

What I wonder is, how, with her background of advocacy and charity work, did she suddenly decide that there are no paid leave groups in California that could use her voice, and that she needed and was entitled to work directly with senators all of a sudden? (Not even anybody in the House of Representatives?) Whether she means to or not, it comes across as her first, cause second.

And I seem to remember back when they were still working in the BRF they introduced themselves as "Harry and Meghan", all the time. Now on the outside, she is permanently reminding everyone she has a title, even when ludicrously inappropriate.

Yes, this could be, and I appreciate this post giving Meghan the benefit of the doubt.

At the same time, she has emphasized that she is involving herself and providing input on this issue as Meghan the citizen, mom, and wife, and not Meghan of any particular position or prestige. If this is true, she should be reaching out using official communication channels only (the same available to every other wife, mom, and citizen), and not ones afforded to her due to her position and prestige. Otherwise, she is indeed not acting as Citizen Meghan but as Privileged Position Meghan.

And people do this all the time. They use their connections to afford them special access to make their voices heard. The problem here is that the Privileged Position is derived entirely, 100% from her place in a foreign peerage whose existence hangs on not doing exactly this.

The other aspect I found interesting as she lobbied these two Senators on their own "private" phone numbers is that Meghan blocked her own phone number.
She thought nothing of cold calling them, but SHE is off limits for them, had they been so inclined to have her phone number.
She really does come off as quite full of herself and yes, entitled.

Good point. That is interesting.

And not surprising imo. There seems to be a disconnect at times as to how Harry and Meghan view their own privacy rights versus other’s.

I fully understand that Meghan doesn't make her number public... Cold calling senators on their private phone numbers (who assume it is a colleague because said senator-colleague also has a blocked number) is the problem (as I said previously, I believe the primary error of judgment in this lies with the D-senator who handed out the numbers; hopefully Meghan has learned that she needs to check more carefully before using private information that people gave her because of her status).

In terms of calling as a 'private citizen', she at least acknowledged that she is a very privileged citizen who has many benefits and advantages that fellow-Americans don't have. So, she is not advocating for something that will benefit her personally but for the many, many others in less fortunate situations.

Gillibrand has been a US Senator for about 10 years now. I’m sure she is well aware of what the customs of the Senate allow/demand. I rather think that it is not unusual for phone numbers to be passed along without permission if the caller is a known quantity. You don’t want to miss a call from a potential big money donor. At any rate, if this is some terrible breach, it’s on the Senator, not Meghan.

And identifying herself by her correct title just makes sense- no embarrassing struggle to recall who Meghan Markle might be, just cut to the chase.

If the Senator called me, I want to know her title right away, because I might hang up in an unknown Kirsten.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

I fully understand that Meghan doesn't make her number public... Cold calling senators on their private phone numbers (who assume it is a colleague because said senator-colleague also has a blocked number) is the problem (as I said previously, I believe the primary error of judgment in this lies with the D-senator who handed out the numbers; hopefully Meghan has learned that she needs to check more carefully before using private information that people gave her because of her status).

I can get Meghan not wanting her private number public in general- except when she’s calling United States senators on THEIR private numbers.

I think this is on both the Senator who gave them out and Meghan.

As to how common this is in terms of senators just passing out other senators private numbers for VIP lobbying without their knowledge or permission- maybe I’m misreading the “tone” of the senators- but I didn’t think they were exactly thrilled.

At any rate- it was apparently worth saying publicly- Meghan blocked her own number, used their personal numbers which they hadn’t given permission for, and used her foreign title as an introduction- and noted the “irony” of doing so. It really didn’t sound overly complimentary in general. Just being polite enough to say they were happy to listen to her thoughts, but they have their own constituents concerns at heart.

It honestly sounds like a waste of everyone’s time except for the PR aspect, which is not minor. Cold calling senators is not going to move the needle from my POV. She is not personally going to change anyone’s minds IMO. But- she and the issue got additional attention. Though it frankly is getting a lot anyway because it IS a big issue.

Last edited:

Meghan was speaking on behalf of the Paid Leave For All organization she has been working with the past few weeks. She wrote the open letter for them too. Meghan not going to get anything passed but she can bring an insane amount of attention to it by being an advocate. And quite frankly since she has been so publicly supportive I have seen it quite everywhere. What comes of it will come but people are definitely discussing... including this royal thread.

I guess I will leave it that for me, it is simply another head shaking moment. Harry and Meghan seem to do these bold faced and attention getting "actions" alot. I wonder if any trips to Cemetery's are planned for next week ? With a Photographer in tow.
She doesn't seem the type to want to work quietly and effectively behind the Scenes either. I do believe this move did ruffle some feathers, especially the two Senators involved. Appears with these two Senators, it backfired.
Maybe Senator Gillibrand is a fan and is impressed by Meghan. I think others, on both sides of the Political spectrum might be a little wary, given Megan's history, of this important issue being hijacked to boost Meghan's profile.

Meghan , Duchess of Sussex is not her correct title , unless she and the Duke are divorced she is either the Duchess of Sussex, or in her identity as a American citizen Meghan Markel . Truly unless she can decide on which identity she wishes to use when lobbying , [on what i agree is an important issue ], she is just going to garner more unfavourable comments . The senator was wrong to give out the telephone numbers , trust goes both ways .

However Meghan hasn’t been Meghan Markle since May 2018, when she married. She has barely used that name since, (once only as I recall, on her daughter’s birth certificate) though she’s been called Markle in the media many times by journalists.

However Meghan hasn’t been Meghan Markle since May 2018, when she married. She has barely used that name since, (once only as I recall, on her daughter’s birth certificate) though she’s been called Markle in the media many times by journalists.

When not using a title - such as when they are abroad in a private capacity and need/wish to be identified without a title -, they may use a surname; which for Harry would be Mountbatten-Windsor (which is also the surname their children use).

Apparently Meghan's surname on her US passport is still Markle instead of Mountbatten-Windsor (otherwise she would have used M-W on the birth certificate). So, it seems that in fact she is still Meghan Markle according to the most relevant document: her US passport.

Passports are valid for ten years though, so that may well have been issued before Meghan’s marriage in 2018 and she will probably continue to use that one until it runs out. There is no evidence that Meghan has regularly used Markle in her private life however since her marriage and the ending of her acting career.

As a Prince and Royal Duke Harry doesn’t have the surname Mountbatten Windsor. So why would Meghan use it?

[FONT=&quot]The royal family's [/FONT]website[FONT=&quot] states that "The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor." Which is why Archie (who [/FONT]doesn't[FONT=&quot] have a title!) uses the last name and Harry (who is a Prince!) does not.[/FONT]

Last edited:
She must have some kind of legal name, and I don't think a US citizen can get "Firstname, Duke/Duchess of Whatever" as their full name on their American documents. If she ever drives herself anywhere, she'd need a California license. She wouldn't already have a valid one because she hadn't lived in California since 2011 - whatever she had before would have long expired. More and more women keep their names upon marriage, so I'd be surprised if she changed it. But if she did, "Meghan Windsor" or "Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor" would also work fine.

When not using a title - such as when they are abroad in a private capacity and need/wish to be identified without a title -, they may use a surname; which for Harry would be Mountbatten-Windsor (which is also the surname their children use).

Apparently Meghan's surname on her US passport is still Markle instead of Mountbatten-Windsor (otherwise she would have used M-W on the birth certificate). So, it seems that in fact she is still Meghan Markle according to the most relevant document: her US passport.

The birth certificate asked for her name at birth, not the name on her passport. The craziness with the father's "legal" names aside there, there is absolutely no reason saying "Hi, this is Meghan Markle/Mountbatten-Windsor. Senator Gillibrand gave me your number" wouldn't have worked perfectly well as an introduction, as a feminist and an American citizen calling to lobby Congress.

Last edited:
She may use the name that might still be on her passport for use on any driving licence in California. I don’t think anyone has seen it. But she doesn’t use Marke in her private life since marrying, as we have seen.

And as Harry technically doesn’t have a surname why would Meghan use Mountbatten Windsor for hers?

She may use the name that might still be on her passport for use on any driving licence in California. I don’t think anyone has seen it. But she doesn’t use Marke in her private life since marrying, as we have seen.

And as Harry technically doesn’t have a surname why would Meghan use Mountbatten Windsor for hers?

Because people who live in the US do not get the luxury of "not having a surname", and titles are not recognized for use on legal documents. Or by anyone in Congress.

Since his brother who is in the exact same situation re: names used "Mountbatten-Windsor" in the exact same situation (legally, in a country that doesn't recognize anything else), that would be the last name Meghan would use, should she prefer her married one to her birth name, should she choose to start acting like an American instead of someone who lived in the UK for two years, hating it.

Last edited:
This sort of thing does damage the idea of monarchy as an institution in the UK. And this monarch’s legacy will be somewhat tainted unfortunately. I’m not sure that this is always understood outside of Britain although posters on here do valiantly persevere in trying to explain the British context. So thank you to them.

Where this whole weird situation ends exactly is not clear but lessons do have to be learnt going forward to prevent relatives of the monarch profiting from & abusing their royal status. We've had examples before of course but this has the potential to be on a whole other level. It arguably already is totally unprecedented. It's all very concerning.

Y'know. we're probably spending more time talking about these phone calls that Meghan made whereas for the Senators she called, it was most likely an in one ear and out the other kind of thing. We're discussing it because it is Meghan.

What I'm kind of disappointed in is Meghan's choice of what to advocate for. Although I do think that the first months of a child's life is important for the family to be together and bond, with the situation this country is in right now economically and with the needs of many being more of a top drawer issue right now, I would have thought that Meghan would get behind causes that aim to assist those that really need it at this time rather than lobby for Paid Leave For All organization. To me, this would be something that could well be put on the back burner until more important issues are ironed out. But that's just me.

It may not be significant to some sectors of the US population. Others might say, Osipi, that families being significantly financially disadvantaged during the time that a new little member joins them is pretty important to them. Especially as most countries in the First World have had measures like paid parental leave put in place by their governments for many years.

Last edited:
As a Prince and Royal Duke Harry doesn’t have the surname Mountbatten Windsor. So why would Meghan use it?

[FONT=&quot]The royal family's [/FONT]website[FONT=&quot] states that "The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor." [..][/FONT]

To the contrary, the article from the official royal family website confirms that for legal purposes, the members of the royal family who have royal titles and styles do have legal surnames:

Continued from the previous post, as the forum would not allow me to quote the website in the previous post:

The Royal Family name | The Royal Family
https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-name

However, in 1960, [...] It was therefore declared in the Privy Council that The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.

The effect of the declaration was that all The Queen's children, on occasions when they needed a surname, would have the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

For the most part, members of the Royal Family who are entitled to the style and dignity of HRH Prince or Princess do not need a surname, but if at any time any of them do need a surname (such as upon marriage), that surname is Mountbatten-Windsor.

The surname Mountbatten-Windsor first appeared on an official document on 14 November 1973, in the marriage register at Westminster Abbey for the marriage of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips.

In any case, my understanding is that the majority of the preceding comments were not making the argument that Markle was necessarily the Duchess of Sussex's legal surname or that she should use it as her surname. The message of the comments was about the issue of usage of the royal title.

If you would like to continue debating legal naming issues, however, I suggest we move it to the thread to which I linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be significant to some sectors of the US population. Others might say, Osipi, that families being significantly financially disadvantaged during the time that a new little member joins them is pretty important to them. Especially as most countries in the First World have had measures like paid parental leave put in place by their governments for many years.

Most places of employment here in the US that do have paid parental leave is determined by the employer, themselves. People working at places at an hourly rate rather than salaried are usually those that survive paycheck to paycheck and perhaps would benefit more with an increase of hourly wages rather than an enforced paid leave for maternity/paternity. To force places that pay minimum wages for this kind of federal sanctioned paid leave, it benefits some rather than something that would benefit all employees.

There are up sides and down sides to all proposed changes to policy. I just thought that Meghan would champion all the disadvantaged, causes that effect the whole quality of life for all rather than compartmentalize on an issue that, in reality, was something Meghan has never experienced (but is grateful for) when she had her children. Harry and Meghan were in a place to be able to stay home and bond as a family. A family where both parents work hourly paid jobs to make ends meet probably have more immediate concerns dealing with their finances than getting paid time off when they have a baby. When the paid leave ends, they still go back to surviving paycheck to paycheck. With the rising prices of just about everything these days here, I would think that affording a tank of gas to get to work would trump a paid maternity/paternity leave.

In short, I seriously wish Meghan would be better off jumping on bandwagons that *everyone* could get behind.

Now, I'm a huge fan of both Senator Gillibrand and HRH The Duchess of Sussex, but I believe that the former giving the latter the private phone calls of her colleagues without their knowledge let along their consent will ultimately prove counterproductive to their push for family leave. The United States political atmosphere is already heavily charged, with both sides unwilling to compromise on anything. A senator who is disinclined to support paid family leave who be more so disinclined if their private number was giving to a left-leaning celebrity whose perceived claim to fame is marrying a royal and supports a policy the senator's base does not.

I see what you're saying but getting left out of all this are the Senators like Deb Fisher - R, & AOC - D, who appreciate what Meghan's doing, have praised her outreach and seem open to this discussion and most importantly are from both sides of the aisle.

Now it's something I would ever do, but maybe the reps aren't as mad about Gillibrand giving out their number.
I'm guessing after near a decade of being in Senate together, they've all known each other long enough to get their respective idiosyncrasies. Maybe?:zen:

Anyway, this Washington dinner may not part the clouds, but it could engineer some discussion and middle ground, amidst so much political toxicity.
All parties interviewed seem to be down for it, so who knows.

Meghan isn't really doing anything groundbreaking as an American lobbying for a cause, but she's pretty much at the stage of copping grief either way, so I'm guessing there's an awareness that 'them's the shakes' for any female public figure. See also Hillary Clinton.;)

I do think it'll be far more appropriate/more tasteful to introduce herself as Meghan, Co-founder of Archwell, if anything.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a member of the House of Representatives, not a Senator.

We haven't heard Meghan's bicameral plans yet, presumably because things pass more easily in the House, due to its current composition.

Meghan is targeting the Republican female Senators because their votes would help this bill to pass.

The same number of votes from male senators would be just as effective at helping the bill pass. I had the impression Gillibrand just asked Meghan to call the women, so Meghan was doing as requested in that regard. But framing it as something that only women could be persuaded to support isn't exactly helpful here. Arguing about whether it's fair for men and childless women to have their taxes increased to pay for something that only benefits mothers - which is where that approach ends up, every single time - is much less productive than working to craft a program that a broader cross-section of society perceives as beneficial to themselves personally.

Like I said, I think Gillibrand is primarily to blame for that approach. But it seems like if there's a constructive way to address something and a divisive way to address the same thing, Meghan chooses the divisive one every single time.

It was a great talk. Nice to learn that Mellody has been somewhat mentoring Meghan. She was amazing to listen too and I am sure Meghan is absorbing her knowledge.

Harry's panel is going to kick off in a bit too. And what a nice surprise to learn Meghan joined Harry in NYC. I wonder if they have any other plans for the week outsude Harry's event tomorrow.

Here is a link to Meghan's conversation. https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1vAxRkPlaLvKl

Last edited:
Great that both Harry and Meghan will be appearing at separate events in New York this week and I’m sure they will both contribute a lot on these occasions. Good to see that Meghan is wearing a poppy as well, with Remembrance Sunday nearly here. Hopefully they will be seen out and about in the Big Apple while they’re here, having a lunch or dinner or catch up with friends maybe.

I think a whole lot of American social media learned a huge lesson after the insurrection of January 6th. It doesn't surprise me one little bit that Harry saw it coming. I can't attest to seeing it for myself as I'd given up on using most social media sites long before this.

We've seen it happen in this thread enough to know that what Harry says is true that a lot of the internet is "“being defined by hate, division and lies”." It makes me appreciate our moderators here and the job they do to keep things flowing on an even keel.

WTG Harry!! :cheers:

Harry on Misinformation

Prince Harry claims he warned Twitter boss that the social media platform was being used to 'stage a coup' before the January 6 storming of the Capitol.
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-09...er-boss-about-coup-day-before-us-capitol-riot

The British press, the Queen, now Jack Dorsey…They’ll soon be able to make a Jeopardy category out of People Who Could Have Made The World A Better Place If Only They’d Listened To The Sussexes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom