The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've pondered the question of why this tour was necessary and I still have absolutely no good answer for that other than to drum up publicity for themselves. Make no mistake, this absolutely is a tour. Meeting dignitaries (even if the dignitaries agreed to the request and it wasn't demanded), posing for photo ops, starting the day off with a visit to a school (why, they're not experts in some educational field, etc.), and having a massive security detail (even if they aren't paying for it themselves). These are all hallmarks of a royal tour and they very much appear to be trying to give the impression and illusion of a pseudo-royal visit. It does appear to be quite self-aggrandizing, self-important, and publicity hungry.

All in all it's ridiculous. There's an awful lot of celebrities involved in the event they're there to attend and not one of them is creating this kind of circus around themselves and pretending to be anything but exactly what they are but then again, that's exactly what these two do best. I doubt very much that any American taxpayer, including myself, would be absolutely thrilled to be on the hook for security for these two who are, for all intents and purposes, nobody special. Yes, they're celebrities but celebrities are on the hook for their own security. They're not foreign dignitaries, they're not world leaders, they're not heads of state. They're celebrities who are famous but certainly not for their talents as we see with the other celebrities involved.

This. It just seems a little much for people who are representing no one but themselves (even if some US outlets do seem a little confused my that).

I think they have intentions to do good but they showed up at a school with a presidential style motorcade in a $7000 outfit to read her own book, deliver two boxes of vegetables, some toiletries from Proctor and Gamble and some Nooks. A lovely gesture but they *are* attempting to role play royal visits and hoping no one peeps under the curtain.

They can obviously do what they like, that's up to them, their connections, the people they meet and Sunshine Sachs, and if the US wants to pay for a fleet of security that is their business. It's just interesting to see it happen as most people who leave royal life, especially so acrimoniously, don't try to essentially keep doing it on their own terms.

Especially as Harry said specifically that he didn't like carrying out royal engagements in May.

Last edited:
Visiting one state is not a "tour".

And they never said that they would go away. They are living their lives and promoting their goals, which I think are good ones.

It seems that some people just want them to disappear and go away completely and will never be happy with whatever they do.
I agree that visiting one state is not a tour nor do I want them to "go away completely. "

However based upon Price Harry's remarks in interviews (South Africa) and his recent mental health program that these types of high profile events with extensive media presence were causing him stress and had a negative impact upon his mental health. I am then curious as to why he is participating if he shared that he is bothered by camera clicks which remind him of what his mother faced?

Oh, I love the visit to the Harlem school! Maybe it's because their school uniforms look very similar to my old ones, but HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's visit reminded me a lot of when the benefactors of my old private school would come and hang out with the children for a day. I also love how, like Global Citizen, this event feeds into HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's personal platform of global literacy and health. Are they also doing it to promote themselves? Yeah. But no one, from common American celebrities to worldwide politicians to the noblest royal houses do things purely for altruism. I'm of the mind that helping others is always good, no matter the spirit it's done in.

I've pondered the question of why this tour was necessary and I still have absolutely no good answer for that other than to drum up publicity for themselves. Make no mistake, this absolutely is a tour. Meeting dignitaries (even if the dignitaries agreed to the request and it wasn't demanded), posing for photo ops, starting the day off with a visit to a school (why, they're not experts in some educational field, etc.), and having a massive security detail (even if they aren't paying for it themselves). These are all hallmarks of a royal tour and they very much appear to be trying to give the impression and illusion of a pseudo-royal visit. It does appear to be quite self-aggrandizing, self-important, and publicity hungry.

All in all it's ridiculous. There's an awful lot of celebrities involved in the event they're there to attend and not one of them is creating this kind of circus around themselves and pretending to be anything but exactly what they are but then again, that's exactly what these two do best. I doubt very much that any American taxpayer, including myself, would be absolutely thrilled to be on the hook for security for these two who are, for all intents and purposes, nobody special. Yes, they're celebrities but celebrities are on the hook for their own security. They're not foreign dignitaries, they're not world leaders, they're not heads of state. They're celebrities who are famous but certainly not for their talents as we see with the other celebrities involved.

Then very little any royal does is particularly necessary. I see no discrepancy between this visit and how they've always said they wanted to use their platform – regardless of whether or not they were allowed to do so representing QEII.

"Even if the dignitaries agreed to the request and it wasn't demanded". Demanded? ? What kind of power do you suggest the Sussexes yield to be able to force through meetings with dignitaries?

As for the latter paragraph, I fail to see how you can pin that on the Sussexes. Even if they had requested security (which I don't think they have), no one's putting a gun to anyone's face forcing them to accept a such request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now my memory is having a day off and have left me with no recollection of the actual events that happened, but I seem to recall a trip by Harry (once upon a time) to the US where he met several US dignitaries, attended some function for HALO and perhaps a few more side events.

This is reminiscent of Harry doing a "tour" for his own personal passions although at the time, he *was* a working royal for his monarch and her government.

Whether being tagged as royals or celebrities, planning and executing events to further the goals of both the royal/celebrity and the causes they're appearing for is a normal, everyday occurrence and this NY trip is no different. ?

Harry and Meghan went to lunch at Melba's in Harlem and donated $25K to her.

Anyone other than me notice that the media reports during this trip have focused a lot on monetary amounts? To me, it's overkill. I don't need to know the cost of a hotel room, a lunch or a total price estimation of it all. It's nice that they donated 25K to Melba but, in a way, it's once again focusing on cold, hard cash more than anything.

Just thoughts.

I was curious to see how the event was covered by the New York press.

The Daily News and the New York Times there is not a piece on it at all - I suppose they might cover events later but nothing yet.

Only piece in the New York Post is a comment section about "NY pols fawn over ‘tourists’: Stop treating Harry & Meghan like royalty"

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/new-york-pols-fawn-over-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle/

I noticed the NY Post headline but didn't read the article.
"Clueless California Tourists Visit NYC" so I figured it wasn't an admiring article.

Anyone other than me notice that the media reports during this trip have focused a lot on monetary amounts? To me, it's overkill. I don't need to know the cost of a hotel room, a lunch or a total price estimation of it all. It's nice that they donated 25K to Melba but, in a way, it's once again focusing on cold, hard cash more than anything.

Just thoughts.

That is the UK press obsessing over their wardrobe and hotel costs. That has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan. Also not sure why they care since they nor UK tax payers are footing the bill. Now them donating to Melba's is different but that is literally the only one that comes from them. Unless I have missed something else?

That is the UK press obsessing over their wardrobe and hotel costs. That has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan. Also not sure why they care since they nor UK tax payers are footing the bill. Now them donating to Melba's is different but that is literally the only one that comes from them. Unless I have missed something else?

My sentiments exactly. Actually, I would think that the 25K donation would be something that both the Sussexes/Sunshine Sachs and the organization itself would want released into the public domain as it points to and alludes that this organization is well worth donating to. The other stuff is totally unnecessary.

I was curious to see how the event was covered by the New York press.

The Daily News and the New York Times there is not a piece on it at all - I suppose they might cover events later but nothing yet.

Only piece in the New York Post is a comment section about "NY pols fawn over ‘tourists’: Stop treating Harry & Meghan like royalty"

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/new-york-pols-fawn-over-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle/

The author really has a way with words. Lol

It was entertaining to read just for the word choices. It wasn’t kind, but it was anything but a dull read.

This. It just seems a little much for people who are representing no one but themselves (even if some US outlets do seem a little confused my that).

I think they have intentions to do good but they showed up at a school with a presidential style motorcade in a $7000 outfit to read her own book, deliver two boxes of vegetables, some toiletries from Proctor and Gamble and some Nooks. A lovely gesture but they *are* attempting to role play royal visits and hoping no one peeps under the curtain.

They can obviously do what they like, that's up to them, their connections, the people they meet and Sunshine Sachs, and if the US wants to pay for a fleet of security that is their business. It's just interesting to see it happen as most people who leave royal life, especially so acrimoniously, don't try to essentially keep doing it on their own terms.

Especially as Harry said specifically that he didn't like carrying out royal engagements in May.

Very well said imo.

Just thoughts.

They do it for everyone whether royalty, politicians, celebrities or members of the public: Jane Doe (53) wearing a £35 Topshop dress.

It's annoying but it's got nothing to do with the Sussexes specifically or who is paying for it.

Whether being tagged as royals or celebrities, planning and executing events to further the goals of both the royal/celebrity and the causes they're appearing for is a normal, everyday occurrence and this NY trip is no different.

Normal every day occurrences don't get DHS motorcades. It is worth acknowledging that this is an unusual "tour" on several levels whether a person approves of it or not. Most royals who leave royal life or aren't "working royals" don't go around doing private tours on their own behalf - there are several other royals living in NYC right now.

Most billionaires with foundations don't bring their own photographers to meetings or make it known they handed out vegetables.

Most celebs don't get Head of State level protection, treatment or the governor giving them a private photo op. There are dozens of celebrities who are appearing for Vax Life tomorrow, Harry and Meghan are the only ones doing what they're doing right now.

It's also interesting because like them or not they don't really have anything but themselves to offer - apart from the glimmer of royalty. They don't have the usual foundation money or decades of experience in politics, they're not musicians or sports stars and they don't represent anything greater than themselves - no diplomats following behind them. They're costing the city more than they're giving back in donations. (No they aren't the only ones).

It will be interesting to see if they can segue this into anything more concrete. And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Harry and Meghan also donated a much-needed washer and dryer to this school, something practical that will be used for many years to come.

I don’t think they’re being royal on their own terms. They’re being celebrities who happen to be royal. No matter what the couple may say now or in the future, this is very much not the half in/half out arrangement they initially demanded. They wanted to remain senior working royals but also to be given the free time (and funding) to do other things, likely the very celebrity lifestyle things we see them doing now. They did not envision themselves having to hustle to make it as full time celebrity do gooders in the US after being quickly and completely cut off from official royal life in the UK.

They also wouldn’t be appearing with high profile American politicians if the Royal Family or the UK government had any real opposition to them doing so. If the couple hadn’t so thoroughly burned their bridges in the UK, these sorts of appearances could have been potentially problematic. By being so public and so vicious in their repudiation of the BRF and what it represents, they broadcast their loss of official status loud and clear. I doubt the BRF cares if Harry and Meghan want to be Brangelina 2.0, as long as there’s no danger of them being treated as people who represent the Queen or her government.

I think your wrong, I don't think the Queen, the UK Government or anyone else has a handle on what they do anymore.

I think your wrong, I don't think the Queen, the UK Government or anyone else has a handle on what they do anymore.

I don’t think they have any control over things like the Oprah interview or the podcast whining but I believe they do have a significant amount of control over how much exposure the Sussexes get to high level American politicians, or their close connections (someone like Chelsea Clinton, for example). Those sorts of meetings generally wouldn’t happen if the BRF or government were opposed to them. Which isn’t to say they’re promoting what the Sussexes are doing, but rather that, right now, they don’t feel there’s any compelling reason to exert effort to stop them.

If Harry and Meghan want to sustain these roles as high profile, politically connected celebrity philanthropists, they’ll need to start policing their own behaviour. Too many incoherent public meltdowns or transatlantic family spats and these photo ops they want so much will dry up pretty quick. Which is all to say that if I were the Queen or Prince Charles I’d be keeping my fingers crossed that the Americans might just be able to keep Harry and Meghan in line.

I doubt that Chelsea Clinton consulted the British Embassy or NY Consul to get ‘permission’ or consent before meeting Meghan and Harry in New York. Both she and her mother Hillary have expressed considerable sympathy with the way Meghan had been treated by the British media. They both gave an interview to the Sunday Times in March 2019. Hillary has said how much she admires Meghan.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/10/hillary-and-chelsea-clinton-defend-meghan-markle

March 2021

Last edited:
With the Sussex couple now being private citizens and living in the US and US politicians and movers and shakers aren't in any way under the jurisdiction of the UK government (or the Queen), it would stand to reason, at least for me, that the UK government and/or the Queen have absolutely no ground to run interference on anything at all the Sussexes do unless it's in the UK and/or pertains to the British government and its monarchy. They, perhaps could ask "Please" and present a request is about as far as it would go.

Then again, this leaves the Sussexes (who are as green as grass entering the world they are on their own) on a make it or break it level where only they will determine how things go into the future. Wrong moves may teach them lessons. Experience will be their best teacher.

All good questions.

There has been speculation that, whilst in NY, they had security by the Department of Homeland Security, I wonder why that may be appropriate?
If I remember correctly, Harry's anger at losing security was that when posing the question "has our security situation changed", he was told it had not, but your family situation has. I can only imagine that some official smart cookie decided it would be messy if a nutter carried out any of the noted threats on their watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Most Americans do not give one single fig about Harry and Meghan meeting anyone that wants to meet them. No one in the general public cares here.
I really agree with how you put this! They are not a big deal to Americans- more pseudo celebrities.

They get to meet elected officials because of who they are. That's unfair access. That's certainly a form of corruption.

Can't believe many Americans will be be happy with that. A resident foreign prince possibly having the ear of elected officials for decades to come. Raises all sorts of questions surely.
Elected officials here don’t take them seriously. It’s all about the publicity it brings to the elected officials

Well, if the Sussexes and their trip aren’t featured in US newspapers and according to the British tabloid media are vile, irrelevant and of no importance one wouldn’t have thought that elected officials would bother!

Well, if the Sussexes and their trip aren’t featured in US newspapers and according to the British tabloid media are vile, irrelevant and of no importance one wouldn’t have thought that elected officials would bother!
It was featured in the NY Post - wasn’t very flattering- will certainly be very flattering in People magazine. And will probably be also in USA Today. I’ve not seen anything yet in The NY Times - not sure I will but will let you know. Elected officials here bother because they were asked, I’m sure, and it does give them some publicity. But not really in the serious press; again, as pseudo celebrities and relatives of HM with the title of “prince” for Harry at least. People here who aren’t royal watchers like us are clueless about duke and duchess titles.

Idk, did anyone see it on CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, or Fox?

I agree with the comment of Angelina Jolie having access in the UK - very similar, except that Harry is also Diana’s son which gives him an extra Je ne sais quoi.

What exactly did they donate $25,000 to: Melba's the for-profit business, or some kind of charity run by Melba's and aimed at helping Melba's employees? I've seen conflicting reports, but no one really seems sure. The former just seems ridiculous, and even the latter is odd given that most restaurants are begging for workers and paying much more than they did pre-covid.

They get access because they are the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland's grandson and his wife. Top tier British Royals have always and will always have access to the upper classes and the elected officials in the USA. That's the way it is, and the way it has been since at least the 1860's and Albert Edward's cross country trip in the USA.

Protected? On the taxpayer's dime? Only if it's a US government function they are at. Otherwise private security.

Feted? Yes. Of course. They will always be A-list and will be treated that way here.

Another one of the Queen's grandchildren lives in New York City with her husband, and I've never heard of her asking for, or getting, that sort of official attention and privileges.

Who is that? All the Queen’s grandchildren are well known and I’ve never heard of one who lives fulltime in NY with her husband. The only three married granddaughters that I know of live in England.

Does Beatrice no longer live there? I know she's in the UK currently, but her job was originally based out of New York, and she lived there for several years. I don't recall her ever being greeted like a visiting dignitary, because she wasn't one. There were no DHS motorcades, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom