The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[...] particularly about accusing unnamed media of using the n- word about her child. As best I can tell- this is entirely based on her word, and she’s given no one the ability to substantiate anything because it’s vague.

Articles I am reading today interpret the statement as applying to readers of the RR output, not the RR members themselves.

The accusation seems to be referring to the members of "the Royal Rota" who traditionally publish photographs of royal newborns. (The Duchess specifically refers to being expected to give photographs of her son to them.)

https://www.thecut.com/article/meghan-markle-profile-interview.html

“There’s literally a structure by which if you want to release photos of your child, as a member of the family, you first have to give them to the Royal Rota,” the U.K. media pool, she explains. Usually, the photos would be on media outlets before she could post them herself. That didn’t sit right with Meghan, given her strained relationship with the British tabloids (“Harry’s girl is [almost] straight outta Compton” is how the Daily Mail introduced her to the British public), and especially since she would soon have a child of her own to protect. “Why would I give the very people that are calling my children the N-word a photo of my child before I can share it with the people that love my child?” she asks, still ruffled. “You tell me how that makes sense and then I’ll play that game.”

I may be incorrect in my understanding of this, but it sounds like a serious accusation that blankets everyone with zero way for anyone to even respond to since it’s vague.

It does seem that professional and other considerations typically dissuade members of the media from attempting to defend themselves, but in this case, surely it would be easy to verify if multiple media outlets in the Royal Rota had indeed published articles or photo captions referring to her child by a racial slur.

Last edited:
Articles I am reading today interpret the statement as applying to readers of the RR output, not the RR members themselves.

Meaning, someone, somewhere in a forum or comments column used the n-word about Archie. Which I can well believe, given the bile I see on the internet every day.

I can buy readers, if that’s what she meant.

It didn’t sound that way to me, but if that’s the complaint- the readers- well comment sections everywhere are full of nasty comments.

I can buy readers, if that’s what she meant.

But reader comments sections would not be included in the "structure by which if you want to release photos of your child, as a member of the family, you first have to give them to the Royal Rota" (the Duchess's words), and the interviewer also understood it to refer to "the U.K. media pool" (the interviewer's words). (For reference, see the linked excerpt from the interview above.)

But reader comments sections would not be included in the "structure by which if you want to release photos of your child, as a member of the family, you first have to give them to the Royal Rota" (the Duchess's words), and the interviewer also understood it to refer to "the U.K. media pool" (the interviewer's words). (For reference, see the linked excerpt from the interview above.)

Agreed. That is the way I read it the first time too. It does sound like she was referring to unnamed media, not readers.

Good points, Claire. The first two podcasts almost seem to be designed to validate Meghan's views, rather than drawing out opinions from the guests. I wonder if that is the show's goal or just the outcome of some bad interviews.

But in all fairness, Meghan isn't a journalist, and with only two episodes, the podcast hasn't really found its feet. Time will tell...

You're right about her needing good staff around her. A good producer would realize that Meghan is an actor by trade and give her a script. Her training is in interpreting other peoples' words, so make that happen. She'd be on safer ground.

She could learn a lot by watching old videos of her friend Oprah's interviews, too. Even in the interview she and Harry did with Oprah -- which was not Oprah's finest hour -- Oprah never inserted herself into the interview. It wasn't as if Oprah said, "They were concerned about Archie's skin color? Wow! That reminds me of the time I was talking to..."

I am looking at this from a very distant view. Okay, remove Meghan from the scene - another presenter.
Looking at the Serena interview - even narrowing their interview to the topic of Ambition. They could have done a lot. Serena knows ambitions and she is not scared of it - she knocks it out of the park. The interview was not about Serena and considering that Serena is now retiring this could have been a great eye opening interview. It was dribble.
Interview with Mariah - absolutely no preparation. Meghan didn't read the book - she has absolutely no idea what is in that book. She could have had a bumper interview - she could have really driven how Mariah owns the Diva stereotype.
Now lets not hide behind the bush - a regular interviewer would kill for this platform and 2 bit interviewer would have made a better job of it. She wanted a platform, she has a platform - she is squandering the platform. This sounds familiar. It worries me that she is surrounded by people who is not helping. Everyone in the industry has told me the same - what are all those people doing? essentially this can be as technically polished as a gold bowl - if the content is dribble it is pointless. it is mind boggling that she is ill prepared for these interviews. She doesn't have any journalistic skill but surely someone should be assisting.

William, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie have all got university degrees, and Louise is about to start her degree course. But, apart from a very small minority of people, anyone going to university has finished their degree by the time they're 21 or 22, so they have to move on to other things.

Agreed. That is the way I read it the first time too. It does sound like she was referring to unnamed media, not readers.

The reaction of the UK media would suggest they took it as referring to them and not the readers.

I'm wondering will their platform/profile become even bigger when Charles becomes King. In that, Harry will be the son of the King of England; Meghan a daughter-in-law of a King. Their children will become Prince and Princess. Somehow I don't see them fading into the background; but becoming higher profile. But of course, know one knows for sure how the dynamics will change when that time comes. In the meantime, the negative headlines continue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...a-claims-actor-insists-NEVER-met-Duchess.html

I'm wondering will their platform/profile become even bigger when Charles becomes King. In that, Harry will be the son of the King of England; Meghan a daughter-in-law of a King. Their children will become Prince and Princess. Somehow I don't see them fading into the background; but becoming higher profile. But of course, know one knows for sure how the dynamics will change when that time comes. In the meantime, the negative headlines continue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...a-claims-actor-insists-NEVER-met-Duchess.html

So she was lying.

Saw the link from the actor on the Lion King movie, but afaik there's also a Lion King musical, so in theory the actor who made the comment could be from that cast.

That said: to repeat it in a public interview, and therefore to compare *oneself* with Mr Mandela and his life is...special...

She was definitely referring to members of the royal rota. But the thing is that was it one person or the entire group of reporters on the rota? We will probably never know.

I’m sure Charles will nip this in the bud or at least continue to give them rope.

I’m sure Charles will nip this in the bud or at least continue to give them rope.

What would be the point in two American kids growing up as private citizens in America being a British Prince and Princess? They want them to be private but you just know H and M will kick up an almighty fuss and throw the 'r' word about if Charles rescinds those titles.

Saw the link from the actor on the Lion King movie, but afaik there's also a Lion King musical, so in theory the actor who made the comment could be from that cast.

That said: to repeat it in a public interview, and therefore to compare *oneself* with Mr Mandela and his life is...special...

She referenced the premiere of the movie but I suppose it's possible members of the musical could have attended.

I think the biggest point for me is that even if that quote was 100% true, why would you repeat it? Anyone can see that comparing a wedding to Mandela being released from decades in prison was insane and only going to cause her problems. And if you really were a humble, regular person then you wouldn't *want* to compare it. She's her own worst enemy.

I assume if there's any truth to the quote then someone said that they went to a party for her wedding and people danced around and enjoyed themselves.

But it's not like she didn't outright lie about other things in both the podcast episodes and interview so...

Beatrice and Eugenie got university degrees. And Louise is starting her university course this year. I believe James will go to university too, but it's too early to say.

Frankly I'd be surprised if Louis and Charlotte didn't go to university unless Louis, like Andrew and Harry, chooses a military career. It is a shame that, in the UK, an officer's training in the Army still does not involve getting a Bachelor's degree simultaneously as in other countries.

HRHHermione was discussing 'working in academia', not just studying. Has there been any British royal who got an earend doctorate (PhD) - so not just an honorary one - and started working as an academic?

And indeed, it can be a fulfilling career for those who wish to stay in the academic world. And it could indeed be relatively easy to combine it with some royal activities. The Japanese royals are known for their interest in research.

HRHHermione was discussing 'working in academia', not just studying. Has there been any British royal who got an earend doctorate (PhD) - so not just an honorary one - and started working as an academic?

And indeed, it can be a fulfilling career for those who wish to stay in the academic world. And it could indeed be relatively easy to combine it with some royal activities. The Japanese royals are known for their interest in research.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. I was trying to think of career paths that are distinguished, could allow for a flexible work schedule when needed, respected by the public and not the kind of thing where you’d be hitting constant conflicts of interest. That’s been the real struggle for people with royal titles who work- avoiding the appearance of impropriety.

Is there anyone left who looks forward to what Meghan has to say, other than to ridicule her?
I sincerely doubt it!

What would be the point in two American kids growing up as private citizens in America being a British Prince and Princess? They want them to be private but you just know H and M will kick up an almighty fuss and throw the 'r' word about if Charles rescinds those titles.
That’s their go to line anytime you rightfully criticize them and they use it as their excuse hence the royal family’s reluctance to seriously deal with them. How the BRF have a lot of patience for these two is beyond me.

Because as private citizens in America it would eventually come down to what they are: nobodies. The royal connection must remain there and H&M will fight tooth and nail to have their children as Prince and Princess.

I can’t remember who said it (one of the RR) but she has actually spent more time out of the royal family than as a full time working. She needs to talk about something else - their aims, plans, what they are doing now. Also letting her interviewees talk ?

That’s their go to line anytime you rightfully criticize them and they use it as their excuse hence the royal family’s reluctance to seriously deal with them. How the BRF have a lot of patience for these two is beyond me.

I think it's less genuinely patient with them and more not wanting to engage in tit for tat in the press. Mike Tindall has said that many people in the family are extremely unhappy with him (he phrased it differently).

I also think it's highly possible that they're reluctant to officially retaliate too much because they are genuinely worried about all of them, especially Harry and the kids and don't want to do anything that would set him off or completely shut the door on help if necessary. Especially as Harry has admitted to being "out of control" in the past I would imagine it's a consideration.

How they handled them at the Jubilee was good. Invited and attended a couple of events but not the state ones, sat with the rest of the adult cousins. They could probably have attended the concert and Sunday celebrations as well if they hadn't left by then.

I think it could go either way on Charles issuing a statement on titles for the children. It's possible he may decide it's not worth it and let it stand.

The more salient point is that given what they keep saying at every opportunity, especially about privacy and hurt caused by hierarchy and loving the freedom of the US, Harry and Meghan should not *want* their kids to be Prince/ss. But they do.

Last edited:

Dr Sylvana Tomaselli, The Countess of St Andrews, has a long and prominent academic career under her belt. She's currently a "tutor for Postgraduates, Sir Harry Hinsley Lecturer in History, Fellow, Tutor, Director of Studies in History and HSPS, College Lecturer in History and HSPS, Affiliated Lecturer in History and Human, Social and Political Sciences, Senior Treasurer of the Associated Societies, Senior Treasurer of the Palmerston Society, Senior Treasurer of the History Society" at St John's College at Cambridge university.

She referenced the premiere of the movie but I suppose it's possible members of the musical could have attended.

I think the biggest point for me is that even if that quote was 100% true, why would you repeat it? Anyone can see that comparing a wedding to Mandela being released from decades in prison was insane and only going to cause her problems. And if you really were a humble, regular person then you wouldn't *want* to compare it. She's her own worst enemy.

I assume if there's any truth to the quote then someone said that they went to a party for her wedding and people danced around and enjoyed themselves.

But it's not like she didn't outright lie about other things in both the podcast episodes and interview so...

This is the biggest issue for me - even IF the quote is true (though the only South African actor from the Lion King movie has denied he said it or was even there) it shows a remarkable lack of class and awareness to repeat the quote and to seemingly relish in it.

I think she got very excited because she finally had her voice so she said whatever she thought. Plus she had no restrictions from her PR people or the “yes men” so she said what she thought would be good. Sometimes IMO not everyone deserves to have a voice.

She's "had her voice" for nearly three years now and done many interviews. Not that she ever really lost it as a working royal considering she was able to champion causes close to her heart (even her bio on royal.uk said she was a "proud feminist) and it was in SA that she was able to say to Tom Bradby that "not many people asked if I was okay." Which also received backlash for being tone deaf. It seems she/they have a knack for putting their foot in it where SA is concerned.

But even if this was her first interview post working royal life, anyone with an sense would not be comparing anything about getting married to the impact of Mandela being released from prison after 27 years and the rebirth of a nation. As his grandson said, even people close to Madiba don't do that even if they have more of a right.

Their wedding was significant in some ways, she could have stuck to those rather than make OTT claims. And according to them it wasn't even their "real wedding". ;)

I hope they follow Mandela's grandson's advice to simply work for the causes he supported without making it about themselves because they could do real good but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

She's "had her voice" for nearly three years now and done many interviews. Not that she ever really lost it as a working royal considering she was able to champion causes close to her heart (even her bio on royal.uk said she was a "proud feminist) and it was in SA that she was able to say to Tom Bradby that "not many people asked if I was okay." Which also received backlash for being tone deaf. It seems she/they have a knack for putting their foot in it where SA is concerned.

But even if this was her first interview post working royal life, anyone with an sense would not be comparing anything about getting married to the impact of Mandela being released from prison after 27 years and the rebirth of a nation. As his grandson said, even people close to Madiba don't do that even if they have more of a right.

Their wedding was significant in some ways, she could have stuck to those rather than make OTT claims. And according to them it wasn't even their "real wedding". ;)

I hope they follow Mandela's grandson's advice to simply work for the causes he supported without making it about themselves because they could do real good but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

I think what gets to me about the “my voice” thing is that supposedly, this was all driven by a need for separation from the press and privacy. I was baffled by the interview claim about how the story no one really knows is their “love story” and how she wants to put that out there.

Why? Your husband is famously sad and angry at how little he had in his life that was private and shielded from the press. Does he want this story told and if so, why? It goes against everything he ever claimed to want for himself. Was his only objection this whole time that the people who were making money off of his story weren’t him? That’s a very different thing than wanting privacy.

It all just seems so off, and it’s getting harder to imagine how any of it ends happily for anyone. I don’t even know what Harry’s options would be if he wanted to walk any of this back.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. I was trying to think of career paths that are distinguished, could allow for a flexible work schedule when needed, respected by the public and not the kind of thing where you’d be hitting constant conflicts of interest. That’s been the real struggle for people with royal titles who work- avoiding the appearance of impropriety.

Only a small number of people pursue a career in academia, regardless of background. I'm not aware that any royal has ever done so. It would be an option, but you have to be very dedicated to your subject.

Meghan has told so many blatant lies that it wouldn't surprise me if she'd made the whole thing about South Africa up, but it seems an odd thing to invent.

Last edited:
Most tenured academics are required to write at least a few books in their chosen subject. What if a royal Professor wrote something contentious, on a historical issue for example? I don’t think there are very many careers at all that would be free of media or public comment and therefore would be suitable for a royal.

I don’t think the Princesses could get by without a degree of flexible working and they both essentially have posh people jobs. Although neither work at the moment. I wonder if Eugenie is on an extended break. Peter works for himself and Zara is an athlete. What Louise and James do who knows yet. Harry was always going to be a working royal but he could have stayed in the Army if he wanted but there was no real promotion open to him that he would have wanted. Didn’t want paper work.

In reality as long as their jobs did not involve making money because you’re royal I think they are fine.

if the royal was a non working royal, I think that what they wrote as an academic, even if contentious would not matter, since they are writing as academics and not needing to be neutral. But academic life isn't just something you can take up because you want to, or for a quiet life.. you need an interest in a particular subject, the intellectual ability to study and write and teach, and dedication.... I can remember seeing a book by Sylvana Tomaselli, so I suppose she has been able to work quietly at her job, and publish...but it is not a job for everybody and I certianly could not see Harry or Meghan taking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom