The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There may have been certain circumstances in London at that time which made such a prohibition necessary. Threats towards hospital staff for instance.

Harry's statement on the HALO atrocities is just one that the organization received and made public on their website. I still believe that Harry's message was heartfelt and sincere in his words.

There's an expression that goes "give a man enough rope and he'll eventually hang himself with it". This is why the repercussions questioning Harry's sincerity is gaining momentum. People remember the words he spoke in a "truth bomb" not so long ago which totally destroyed his image as a humanitarian. He didn't want to be there. He hated doing it. He wasn't "free" and envied those that were poor yet free. That "truth bomb", IMO, has probably sunk Archewell before it really ever got started.

Harry probably will never, ever be looked at again as a sincere humanitarian even if his motives are pure and well meaning. Because of a "truth bomb". Perhaps that *was* only his feelings about the work at the time and he could have done a total about face and be a totally altruistic person today but once that image of the Helping Harry was destroyed, it's impossible to put it all back together again in one piece.

This is what I was referring to yesterday when I stated that the PR he's been getting is trying to stretch his 15 minutes of fame into 20. His statements, his behavior and his lashing out and pointing fingers at all the things "out there" that have made his life miserable is what is going to stick for a very long time no matter what grand ventures or work they do going into the future. He's defining himself in his "new life" as one that not only has a lot of issues he needs to resolve for himself and his family but it's defining his reputation.

I would bet my last cinnamon roll this morning that should the repercussions on Harry's sincerity reach his ears this morning, he'll be flabbergasted that people could even think he wasn't sincere. I sincerely believe that Harry's at a point in his life where he feels that he can say or do anything and there will be no consequences from them. That's another thing ego does to a person.

Harr

I would bet my last cinnamon roll this morning that should the repercussions on Harry's sincerity reach his ears this morning, he'll be flabbergasted that people could even think he wasn't sincere. I sincerely believe that Harry's at a point in his life where he feels that he can say or do anything and there will be no consequences from them. That's another thing ego does to a person.

Are you sure? I find it quite possible now, after ALL he has done in the last few years and particularly the last 3 months, to believe that "Happy helpful warm hearted Harry " was ALL PR and fakery. I dont entirely believe it, but when someone behaves the way he has in the past 2 years or so, its hard not to look at them with very different and more cynical eyes. Maybe he's thinking "yeah I never cared for all that stupid royal life, pretending to be nice to those awful people with problems.. who were much happier and freer than I was.. but I''ll bet the dumb public will believe me if I smile and say Im giving a big cheque (donated to the Archie foundation by others) to a charity...."

I just wonder if he did genuinely feel so negative a few years ago.. or if he had at least a smidgeon of "wanting to do the royal work.". and that its Meghan who has put it into his head that he was SO popular that the RF abused him by making him work very hard..and never appreciated how wonderful he was at the job....so now he's seeing only the negative side of it. If so, how stupid she is, to have helped him to tear away the one good thing that he seemed to have.... a sincere kindness....

Last edited:
Oh c'mon!

One can get tired of every job. And this was his job: Being a "charity royal". He did not chose to become one - he had to do it... until he did quit. And what we know now is, that it was not always his calling.

And I hope I will not destroy any illusions you have, but the Cambridges too have good and bad days... and sometimes their smiling and their shown interest in the fate of their future subjects might be not as sincere as it seems...

True. But- most people are smart enough not to complain publicly about having to do things that are humanitarian/philanthropic. It’s a bad look in general. Especially when they’ve said that’s an aspect of their lives they want to continue as private citizens.

FWIW- I think Harry’s message was probably sincere. But….I fully understand why people question him now. It’s the consequence of constant talking and complaining and ripping into everything in his old life.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

The cemetery photoshoot was 100% about them and pretending to be working royals but just in LA. IF they had wanted it to be about honouring Remembrance Sunday they could have released a photo of the wreath having been laid at the Guard's Chapel by an old colleague or something.

To be clear- before I say anything- I’m not questioning their sincerity in doing it, given Harry’s military background.

But I absolutely question the need for a photo shoot. There was no need for that. In fact- I don’t think there was a need for any photos at all. They’re supposedly private people. Unless of course you just want attention and want to be seen as caring. Then- photos are needed.

Last edited:
To be clear- before I say anything- I’m not question their sincerity in doing it, given Harry’s military background.

But I absolutely question the need for a photo shoot. There was no need for that. In fact- I don’t think there was a need for any photos at all. They’re supposedly private people. Unless of course you just want attention and want to be seen as caring. Then- photos are needed.

Im cynical about it too, but perhaps there was a trace of pitiability in it.. He was far away from his home, where he would normally have been part of the Remembrance day.. and here he was in LA forced to take his own photographer with him, to try and make himself noticed at a military cemetery....
But basiclaly you're right. There was no need for a photographer or to show off himself and Meghan doing tihs. If they wanted to go and lay a wreath at some place in the US, they could have done so..

All these leaks-that-aren't-really-leaks make me wonder if they're paying for things by way of free publicity rather than with money, or even if they've got some kind of referral/affiliate deal worked out with the florist, the birthing center, etc. Though that still doesn't explain why they won't ever put their own names on those releases.

EDIT: The British doctor name-dropped in the article has a website selling all kinds of classes and treatments focusing on their brand of "birth experience." How utterly unsurprising.

I wondered what the purpose behind releasing the name of the doctors, etc was. It was a lot of specific, detailed, utterly unnecessary information. That’s an interesting idea.

They sure didn’t want to give that info out for Archie.

To be clear- before I say anything- I’m not question their sincerity in doing it, given Harry’s military background.

That photo op at the cemetery was plotted, planned and carried out solely as a publicity stunt by Harry and Meghan. It was done on Remembrance Sunday in the UK which was last November 9th. It struck us Americans as weird because our Veteran's Day wasn't until the following Thursday, November 11th.

Personally, I think it was probably with Harry wishing to have a wreath laid at the Cenotaph from him and it being refused that it first hit home to Harry that he was really no longer an important figure in both the "Firm" and the family. He tried to mimic what the royal family was doing at the Cenotaph that day and failed miserably.

Harry's statement on the HALO atrocities is just one that the organization received and made public on their website. I still believe that Harry's message was heartfelt and sincere in his words.

There's an expression that goes "give a man enough rope and he'll eventually hang himself with it". This is why the repercussions questioning Harry's sincerity is gaining momentum. People remember the words he spoke in a "truth bomb" not so long ago which totally destroyed his image as a humanitarian. He didn't want to be there. He hated doing it. He wasn't "free" and envied those that were poor yet free. That "truth bomb", IMO, has probably sunk Archewell before it really ever got started.

Harry probably will never, ever be looked at again as a sincere humanitarian even if his motives are pure and well meaning. Because of a "truth bomb". Perhaps that *was* only his feelings about the work at the time and he could have done a total about face and be a totally altruistic person today but once that image of the Helping Harry was destroyed, it's impossible to put it all back together again in one piece.

This is what I was referring to yesterday when I stated that the PR he's been getting is trying to stretch his 15 minutes of fame into 20. His statements, his behavior and his lashing out and pointing fingers at all the things "out there" that have made his life miserable is what is going to stick for a very long time no matter what grand ventures or work they do going into the future. He's defining himself in his "new life" as one that not only has a lot of issues he needs to resolve for himself and his family but it's defining his reputation.

I believe he was sincere and genuine in his message about the HALO workers, it was a horrific thing to happen and unfortunately it's not a one off incident.

The question now hanging over him really isn't about any one statement or engagement.

He may well be flabbergasted if he saw anyone questioning his sincerity but he's brought it on himself by now claiming that he pretty much hated all his royal duties, including meeting people who were badly off and specifically mentioning Nepal as a terrible trip a few months *after* he talked about it again (with seeming sincerity). If he had never said that then most of us could have agreed that whilst he had his ups and downs he did appear to be genuine in his wish to help people.

He could have said "I was burned out but meeting the Nepalese and bringing attention to their causes was worth it". But no, he burned down the whole thing in his rush to condemn is royal work, his previous life and his family for sending him there. Nor did he say "I wasn't in the best frame of mind at the time because I was in addiction" that would bring his "burned outness" back to his own issues. He may come to regret that.

I could have thought that whilst "cheeky chappy" and "Hero Harry" were PR personas that he wasn't just a petulant, bitter person who only thinks about himself and how he was feeling, that he genuinely wanted to help but now through his own words there's a question mark.

I wondered what the purpose behind releasing the name of the doctors, etc was. It was a lot of specific, detailed, utterly unnecessary information. That’s an interesting idea.

Prestige for the doctor and the birthing center. To get in there and have your child, along with costing you an arm, a leg and a few hangnails to boot, you will be delivering your child in the same luxurious settings as HRH, Princess Lilibet was born into. Reserve your spot now for the year 2036. The waiting list is long.

Ye olde feather in the cap promotion.

Yes he did. Every time they attacked the "institution" they attacked her. When they stormed out with a list of public demands they attack her in deed. When they tried to separate her from "The Firm" and pretend she's just an old dear who constantly gets and follows terrible advice they attacked her. There were lots of articles in the last few days that say this has been a real frustration for her with Harry and Meghan.

You can't tear down a corporation as toxic one day, including all the senior execs and make zoom waffles with the CEO the next.

Exactly. I agree with all of this. You can’t attack the institution without attacking the CEO- the Queen.

The parenting complaints are a direct attack too. It doesn’t matter to me that Harry was parroting Charles’ public complaints from decades ago. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now. Harry just HAD to say- his father was poorly parented, so he was poorly parented- so he’s messed up and had to move to another country to get away from all that. That just never ever needed to be publicly said IMO.
The whole thing was appalling.

It was imo partially another attempt by Harry to justify his life choices. He has to tear everything down because the fact that Meghan lasted for less than 2 years in the BRF, they both quit, and that they moved to another country could never ever be even remotely connected to anything they did. Because nothing is their fault.

IMO, if there is one thing H&M are consistent in is their inconsistency!

lol Well said!

Last edited by a moderator:

A few years ago, they were in a mood and wanted to thumb their nose at the press and say "we dont have to give you any information.. Even though traditionally a few items of interest about the birth have usually been released by Royals, we Harry and Meghan dont like you press people... and we are not gonna be at all cooperative..."
Now they have to make themselves known ot the public, and keep their names up there before the press and public... and I presume the doctor doesn't mind or positively wants the publicity

Exactly. I agree with all of this. You can’t attack the institution without attacking the CEO- the Queen.

The parenting complaints are a direct attack too. It doesn’t matter to me that Harry was parroting Charles’ public complaints from decades ago. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now. Harry just HAD to say- his father was poorly parented, so he was poorly parented- so he’s messed up and had to move to another country to get away from all that. That just never ever needed to be publicly said IMO.
The whole thing was appalling.

It was imo partially another attempt by Harry to justify his life choices. He has to tear everything down because the fact that Meghan lasted for less than 2 years in the BRF, they both quit, and that they moved to another country could never ever be even remotely connected to anything they did. Because nothing is their fault.

What really stands out for me in all this is that if Harry and Meghan had made a decision to strike out with a life of their own and do things their way and implemented it, if it had been the *right* decision for them to make, we'd be hearing a lot of different things right now. We'd be hearing about the wonderful plans they're implementing with hopes and goals for the future. We'd be seeing a Harry grinning from ear to ear happily relating his new roles and his impending new fatherhood. We'd be seeing a sincere Harry all over the place talking about how great this move has been for his mental health and how clear of mind and free he feels as he goes forward in his American life.

Instead we see a miserable Harry determined to relive and rehash and paint a picture of everything that has ever gone wrong in his life, every negative impact that has happened to him and every negative statement made against him be it by family or the press. It especially stands out for me that if anything is said in a negative form against this couple, they're going to take legal action. Tells me that they're not just listening to the "noise", they're *becoming* the "noise". They are never going to change the press. They are never going to change the court of public opinion in their favor. They haven't begun to realize yet that the only thing that they *can* change is themselves.

They're definitely in a huge downward spiral and I cringe to think of where it may all end. For a couple that I thought, at first, had so much potential to change the world, I'm at point now hoping that they can take a good, long look in the mirror and start getting honest with themselves.

Last edited:
Maybe too, they got a deal on the overall cost of the birthing center and the good doctor's services in return for some really glowing publicity. One hand washes the other kind of thing. Bottom line is cold, hard cash. :D

Another thing I think is that from about 2 or tow and a half years ago, I think that they were working up towards a big row with the Press so as to partly justify their already planned departure. They seemed to want to provoke the press who were admittedly no longer all that keen on them.. but they seemed to love poking the bear with stuff like going on the New York baby shower and then saying they wouldn't put out the usual stuff about the baby, or even release the names of his godparents (which is supposed to be publicly available). As if they were working up to a big showdown with the press, provoking the press to dislike them more and critiicise them.. so they could then say "we had to leave England to get away from that awful Brtisih press"....

It is an interesting article. It makes some good points. Thanks for sharing.

It is a good article. For once. It does happen with the DM every now and then that they print something well worth reading. This is one of them.

I do believe that no matter what the intention was with using the Queen's personal name of "Lilibet" in the Sussexes' mindset, it has failed miserably. They may of thought it would "connect" them forevermore to HM, The Queen and denote a closeness and perhaps maybe, just maybe, their intentions were of the highest form of love of this woman that they did want to honor her by giving their daughter that specific childhood moniker that is totally identified as belonging to the Queen and the Queen alone but it's failed miserably.

In my mind though, if they wanted their child to carry the name of a woman they greatly loved and admired, they would have stuck to that being what she is known as through life. As Lilibet. Not give it to her as a legal name and then resign it to only being used on formal documents and forgotten about as she goes through life as "Lili".

I do have to admit that following the Sussexes and their antics is better than any soap opera any screen writer could come up with. You can't make this stuff up! Truth sometimes is stranger than fiction.

Their issue is with the UK media. It will always mostly be with the UK press. It is what it is. The morning shows here (US) were openly mocking the hysteria over the baby's name. To quote NBC "Puppies and babies... you leave them alone."

Harry and Meghan's relationship with the UK is at an all time low. No one can deny that. It will be interesting how it all unfolds in the coming months and of course next year.

--

Anyways as a surprise to no one, Kate was asked today about baby Lili. She confirmed she has not seen her (no facetime) yet but hopes to soon and wishes her well. Very diplomatic answer to a question which I found was a bit inappropriate but we knew it would be asked.

Anyways as a surprise to no one, Kate was asked today about baby Lili. She confirmed she has not seen her (no facetime) yet but hopes to soon and wishes her well. Very diplomatic answer to a question which I found was a bit inappropriate but we knew it would be asked.

It's showing just how much William and Catherine are stepping up into their roles going into the future. With diplomacy and tact. They've defined their red lines in the sand as far as the difference between their private and public lives and have reached, what I see as, a balanced compromise on what they share and don't share. It's the definition of a couple that is royal and in service to their people. That service is their focus in the public eye.

The Sussexes, on the other hand, are feeding into the celebrity cesspool of letting everything all hang out and let the chips fall where they may and when they're poked and prodded, they poke and prod right back and create a crapstorm of 15 minutes of "celebrity" fame and notoriety that feeds on nothing but, well.... crap.

One way, the royal way, is sustainable and gives hope going into the future. The other, the celebrity cesspool, feeds the sensations so you stay tuned to see what happens next in the ongoing soap opera of "As The Stomach Churns" and is forgotten as soon as the next new and shiny celebrity goes amok. :D

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

It is a good article. For once. It does happen with the DM every now and then that they print something well worth reading. This is one of them.

I do believe that no matter what the intention was with using the Queen's personal name of "Lilibet" in the Sussexes' mindset, it has failed miserably. They may of thought it would "connect" them forevermore to HM, The Queen and denote a closeness and perhaps maybe, just maybe, their intentions were of the highest form of love of this woman that they did want to honor her by giving their daughter that specific childhood moniker that is totally identified as belonging to the Queen and the Queen alone but it's failed miserably.

In my mind though, if they wanted their child to carry the name of a woman they greatly loved and admired, they would have stuck to that being what she is known as through life. As Lilibet. Not give it to her as a legal name and then resign it to only being used on formal documents and forgotten about as she goes through life as "Lili".

I do have to admit that following the Sussexes and their antics is better than any soap opera any screen writer could come up with. You can't make this stuff up! Truth sometimes is stranger than fiction.

You know what clicked for me the other day: Jenna Bush Hager named her 2nd daughter Poppy. It was the childhood nickname of her beloved grandfather George Bush. And- to the best of my knowledge- that is the name they actually call her. They definitely didn’t say she was going by something else.

It’s not uncommon to give a child a nickname. It is- to me- a bit unusual to use the beloved personal nickname of a family member….and then give the nickname a nickname too. They made it pretty clear it’s her name only on official documents.

Again- I think her name is lovely. It just stands out a bit. For many reasons. It was a name that would absolutely guarantee maximum attention. Not only did their baby get the first name of great granny, they also used her personal nickname. No one in the immediate family had done either. I hope it was all completely sincere.

Last edited:
Harry probably is horrified over the HALO Trust murders. And I hope that statement is really from the heart.

However Muriel brings up an interesting point which is entirely of Harry's own making.

In 2016 he seemed truly heartfelt in his desire to be in Nepal to the point of staying on a few extra days to help. He recorded a message which talked about it in September 2020 where again he seemed sincere.

Not even a month ago complained about having to go to Nepal to honour the Gurkhas who had protected him in Afghanistan and people who had lost everything in an earthquake. He came across as completely lacking in any compassion for those that risked their lives for him and others who had never had as much as him and had literally had their lives destroyed.

No mention of "I was burned out but it was still good to help people".

So was he lying then or was he lying a few weeks ago?

He himself has called into question his own sincerity as a humanitarian, which wasn't something I thought we were ever going to see. I'm not sure he meant to do that in his rush to tear down everything in his old life but he mentioned it several times in different interviews when in the past he seemed at least game to turn up and meet people. It's all very sad actually.

Yes he did. Every time they attacked the "institution" they attacked her. When they stormed out with a list of public demands they attack her in deed. When they tried to separate her from "The Firm" and pretend she's just an old dear who constantly gets and follows terrible advice they attacked her. There were lots of articles in the last few days that say this has been a real frustration for her with Harry and Meghan.

You can't tear down a corporation as toxic one day, including all the senior execs and make zoom waffles with the CEO the next.

I agree. It is very clear that he attacked her. In addition to what you mentioned, he made the following statements:
"I never saw it, I never knew about it, and then suddenly I started to piece it together and go, OK, so this is where he went to school, this is what happened, I know this about his life, I also know that is connected to his parents so that means he's treated me the way he was treated, so how can I change that for my own kids?" he said.

He is saying he doesn't want to treat his kids the same way he was treated and the way his father was treated. Translation: He is saying the the Queen and Prince Charles were bad parents. If that is not an attack I don't know what is.

Also, he said the following:
“My father used to say to me when I was younger … ‘Well, it was like that for me, so it’s going to be like that for you. That doesn’t make sense — just because you suffered, that doesn’t mean that your kids have to suffer, in fact quite the opposite. If you suffered, do everything you can to make sure that whatever negative experiences that you had, you can make it right for your kids,” he added.

It is obvious that what his father was trying to do was prepare him for royal life. He is just too tone deaf to see it. If Harry wanted to leave the institution, that is fine, but there were much better ways to do it instead of trying to burn it down in the process.

Their issue is with the UK media. It will always mostly be with the UK press. It is what it is. The morning shows here (US) were openly mocking the hysteria over the baby's name. To quote NBC "Puppies and babies... you leave them alone."

Harry and Meghan's relationship with the UK is at an all time low. No one can deny that. It will be interesting how it all unfolds in the coming months and of course next year.

--

People in the US comment on babies names all the time. Goodness knows “Apple” got attention. I don’t remember from who exactly. But I’d be surprised if nobody in the media so much as remarked on it. But- anyway. That said- this isn’t a subject I usually pay much attention to.

I do agree- their relationship with the UK is at an all time low. Just when I think it really can’t sink lower- it somehow does. And- it will be interesting to see what happens.

No surprise Kate got the question. Her response was quite tactful. She was obviously willing to be honest that there had been no facetime yet. Frankly- that speaks volumes to me about the relationship between the Cambridge’s and Sussexes right now. Yes- I know she is only a week old. Yes- I know there is a time difference. Still if this was a true desire and priority- it would have happened already IMO. Like it obviously was with the Queen. It doesn’t have to be time consuming. And Harry has only one sibling.

I got photos of both my nephews - no Facetime then - practically as soon as my sister was out of the delivery room, and proud grandparents, aunties and uncles are usually boring friends and colleagues with photos and videos of new babies on the very day that they arrive. It's a shame that things aren't like that for the Cambridges and the Sussexes. But I'm sure that Kate genuinely does wish Lili well. Whatever Harry and Meghan have done, Archie and Lili are completely innocent parties in all this.

I got photos of both my nephews - no Facetime then - practically as soon as my sister was out of the delivery room, and proud grandparents, aunties and uncles are usually boring friends and colleagues with photos and videos of new babies on the very day that they arrive. It's a shame that things aren't like that for the Cambridges and the Sussexes. But I'm sure that Kate genuinely does wish Lili well. Whatever Harry and Meghan have done, Archie and Lili are completely innocent parties in all this.

Of course she wishes the child well... but I dont think she likes Meghan at ALL and probably now she and Will are pretty cheesed off with Harry. His behavior has caused so much stress to the queen just as her elderly husband was dying, and to Charles too..and I would say that Will's especially angry that the family was called racist and that he has been left holding the bag for royal work in his generation.
I'd imagine that Kate reckons she may not see the children for years, Meg's not that likely to come to the UK.. and relations are likely to be tense if they do meet....and I doubt if Meghan was in a hurrry to send her pictures.. so I dont think she thinks in terms of having much of a relationship wiht H's children....

Last edited:

I'm wont to believe that even if Harry and Meghan and William and Catherine and the three Cambridge children and Archie all participated in a Zoom call gushing over the newborn little girl the day of her birth, that Catherine wouldn't feel that its something to be shared with the general public and would best be left private and her statement to the public would be very generic. She's diplomatic enough not to feed the beast that surrounds the Sussexes these days. Smart woman.

I'm wont to believe that even if Harry and Meghan and William and Catherine and the three Cambridge children and Archie all participated in a Zoom call gushing over the newborn little girl the day of her birth, that Catherine wouldn't feel that its something to be shared with the general public and would best be left private and her statement to the public would be very generic. She's diplomatic enough not to feed the beast that surrounds the Sussexes these days. Smart woman.

I agree but I also don't think she'd lie about it and while I think she would be discreet and diplomatic, she'd also be quite truthful. Probably something to the effect of "We did and she's a beautiful baby. We wish them all well and look forward to seeing the kids again soon."

I agree but I also don't think she'd lie about it and while I think she would be discreet and diplomatic, she'd also be quite truthful. Probably something to the effect of "We did and she's a beautiful baby. We wish them all well and look forward to seeing the kids again soon."

Exactly. I wouldn’t expect Catherine to go into detail about anything personal. But I don’t think she’d lie about having seen the baby either.

Similar to William- and if he’d talked to Harry after The Interview. No- but I plan to. I don’t think he’d lie- nor do I think he’d go into any detail if he had spoken to Harry.

It’s honest, but diplomatic IMO. Everyone knows there are issues between the families. Going all the way back to Harry telling the world during the Africa interview.

Exactly. I wouldn’t expect Catherine to go into detail about anything personal. But I don’t think she’d lie about having seen the baby either.

Similar to William- and if he’d talked to Harry after The Interview. No- but I plan to. I don’t think he’d lie- nor do I think he’d go into any detail if he had spoken to Harry.

It’s honest, but diplomatic IMO. Everyone knows there are issues between the families. Going all the way back to Harry telling the world during the Africa interview.

Kate dont look too happy or comfortable with the question. But I would imagine she doesn't expect to see the baby in person any time soon

Kate looked more shocked she was being asked. Her facial reaction was one of surprise before the question was even asked. It was the end of the roundtable and they had made their final remarks. So she was a bit caught off guard it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom