The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate looked more shocked she was being asked. Her facial reaction was one of surprise before the question was even asked. It was the end of the roundtable and they had made their final remarks. So she was a bit caught off guard it seems.

She handled it as well as she could. And it was an american reporter and not a royal reporter.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 5: June 2021-

Kate looked more shocked she was being asked. Her facial reaction was one of surprise before the question was even asked. It was the end of the roundtable and they had made their final remarks. So she was a bit caught off guard it seems.

Understandable. It must really add to what is already certainly a painful, private situation for everyone for it to not only be public knowledge that there are family problems- but to then be asked about matters that are sensitive right now.

Though I suppose possibly people assume that a new baby would lead to face time or something no matter what the state of the relationship. Apparently not. That is quite sad.

Understandable. It must really add to what is already certainly a painful, private situation for everyone for it to not only be public knowledge that there are family problems- but to then be asked about matters that are sensitive right now.

Though I suppose possibly people assume that a new baby would lead to face time or something no matter what the state of the relationship. Apparently not. That is quite sad.

Honestly I dont see why they would expect face timing etc. Its obvious that Harry's not on the best of terms wiht any of the family, except I guess the queen still takes his calls and chats to him...

Honestly I dont see why they would expect face timing etc. Its obvious that Harry's not on the best of terms wiht any of the family, except I guess the queen still takes his calls and chats to him...

To be honest I'm sceptical about how often they actually speak to HM either using phones or zoom despite what the Sussexes say. We know the POWs staff was keen to emphasise that he had been in contact with his son recently but we don't know how that went.

The Cambridges might have seen pictures or had a few texts without any further contact or they might not have had anything.

To be honest I'm sceptical about how often they actually speak to HM either using phones or zoom despite what the Sussexes say. We know the POWs staff was keen to emphasise that he had been in contact with his son recently but we don't know how that went.

The Cambridges might have seen pictures or had a few texts without any further contact or they might not have had anything.

It sounds like they haven't had anything. Kate didn't look too comfortable with the question. I'd say that Harry did call his grandmother to tell her about the baby, and they had zoom.. but I doubt if they are chatting every day, too. Charles has probably had some contact, but its obvious that relations are cool..I would say that Anne for example has not had anyting to say to her nephew....

I would hope that the UK royals think of the newborn and they all send congratulations about her birth. The baby is a blessing and should be seen that way, never mind if Anne or anybody wants to talk to Harry or not. Sending warm greetings about a new baby is never wrong IMO.

I would hope that the UK royals think of the newborn and they all send congratulations about her birth. The baby is a blessing and should be seen that way, never mind if Anne or anybody wants to talk to Harry or not. Sending warm greetings about a new baby is never wrong IMO.

yes some of them have sent greetings to the baby, as they alwasy do, formally.....but I dont think they're queuing up to talk to Harry. Odds are they wont see the child for quite a while and relations with her parents will be strained....

I’d be more surprised if there had been any significant contact between the two couples. The birth of a new baby doesn’t make everything that’s come before any less hurtful. Harry may have texted pictures of the baby or something along that line but as far as an actual family conversation via zoom or FaceTime.. things may be too raw for that yet.

Based on everything he and Meghan have said over the past couple of years, I don’t think Harry has been close to William, Catherine and their children since well before he and Meghan left the UK. I doubt the Cambridges have seen Archie more than a handful of times, let alone Lili.

I’m sure Catherine, in particular, would love for the Cambridge kids to have the same sort of close relationship with Archie and Lili as they’ll likely have with Pippa’s children, (and the geographical distance alone wouldn’t rule out the cousins getting to know each other well). I think if you’d asked her five years ago what things would be like when Harry had children she would have expected that she and William would have the same sort of affectionate relationship with their niece or nephew as Harry then seemed to have with George and Charlotte. It’s sad things don’t seem to be heading down that road, especially for the children.

It's a shame. We've seen some lovely pictures of the little Cambridges with the Phillips and Tindall girls, and, now that people are able to meet up more, I'm sure they'll be spending plenty of time with Pippa's children, and getting to know Zara and Eugenie's new babies. But Archie and Lili are out of it, even without the geographical distance.

It's a shame. We've seen some lovely pictures of the little Cambridges with the Phillips and Tindall girls, and, now that people are able to meet up more, I'm sure they'll be spending plenty of time with Pippa's children, and getting to know Zara and Eugenie's new babies. But Archie and Lili are out of it, even without the geographical distance.

It's all part and parcel of what the Sussexes deemed they wanted though. Family wasn't important enough to want to live somewhat close to them so that their children would know their relatives but they also did their very best to destroy, by words, any relationship that did exist.

I suppose to some people, their children's heritage just isn't something that is overly important enough to maintain and nurture. It's kind of sad if you ask me.

They are American kids, who wont IMO visit the UK that often, unless things change... so I can't see a big relationship building up with thier cousins....

The irony is, had they not ditched, Meghan and Harry could have been at the G7 reception tonight, hobnobbing with world leaders, getting exactly the kind of platform and influence they want right now. :whistling:

The irony is, had they not ditched, Meghan and Harry could have been at the G7 reception tonight, hobnobbing with world leaders, getting exactly the kind of platform and influence they want right now. :whistling:

Oh most definitely! In fact, in this CNN article, it mentions a scheduled visit by the FLOTUS, Jill Biden, and connects her visit with the Invictus Games and with Walking with the Wounded and does mention Harry. But.... Harry's happy and on leave with his baby daughter and all is well with the world.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/politics/jill-biden-first-lady-queen-elizabeth-ii/index.html

They are American kids, who wont IMO visit the UK that often, unless things change... so I can't see a big relationship building up with thier cousins....

I don’t either. One thing Edward said in a recent interview that I totally agree with is: Zoom works well for maintaining established relationships. Not establishing them.

And of course- the adults have to be getting along well enough for any of that to happen anyway.

I dont think it is EXACTLY what they want. They dont want any restrictions and they wanted the freedom to make money. As royals they would be restricted in what they could say and do, and they would not be free to make money or do what they liked.. and that did not suit them. They really dont seem to realise that they did not/could not have complete freedom in their role as royals. They wanted to mix with world leaders, yes but they didn't want to be told "you're here because you are part of the BRF, not because of yourselves...".

They want to go to these events, mix with politicans and tell them what they think.. and then slip off to ask for a money making job somewhere...

Stating the obvious aside, still pretty sure they would have settled for "private dinner with world leaders as HRHs" given the last 18 months. Funnily enough, they don't seem to be able to replicate it on their own so easily. Maybe the toxic cesspool was good for something...

I’d be more surprised if there had been any significant contact between the two couples. The birth of a new baby doesn’t make everything that’s come before any less hurtful. Harry may have texted pictures of the baby or something along that line but as far as an actual family conversation via zoom or FaceTime.. things may be too raw for that yet.

Based on everything he and Meghan have said over the past couple of years, I don’t think Harry has been close to William, Catherine and their children since well before he and Meghan left the UK. I doubt the Cambridges have seen Archie more than a handful of times, let alone Lili.

I’m sure Catherine, in particular, would love for the Cambridge kids to have the same sort of close relationship with Archie and Lili as they’ll likely have with Pippa’s children, (and the geographical distance alone wouldn’t rule out the cousins getting to know each other well). I think if you’d asked her five years ago what things would be like when Harry had children she would have expected that she and William would have the same sort of affectionate relationship with their niece or nephew as Harry then seemed to have with George and Charlotte. It’s sad things don’t seem to be heading down that road, especially for the children.

You’re right. And things have been rocky between William and Harry for a very long time.

While Harry may reserve his public anger primarily for Charles- I don’t think that really suggests that his relationship with William is better or less fractured. Just that Harry is intelligent enough not to call William out because he’s more popular. And the rift between the boys, I think, pre-dates issues with Charles. Publicly known anyway. We have no way of knowing, of course, what the state of those relationships are now, but not good seems to be a fair guess.

At the rate the Sussexes are going, the only significant family relationship their kids are likely to have is with Doria. The combination of distance and poor relationship status- and frankly Meghan’s very clear IMO dislike of the UK in general- makes spending any real time in the UK seem pretty unlikely. And now Harry has issues with going home. So, we’ll see….. it is all sad though.

I doubt it. Are the Wessexes there? They have effectively replaced the Sussexes. This would have likely only stopped with the Cambridges. Anyways I’m sure if they wanted to interact with the Bidens they could always extend an invitation. It’s not as if Harry doesn’t have an established professional relationship already. Dr. Biden visiting two organizations related to Harry this weekend. Besides I don’t think that was their goal despite some claiming this.

I’d thought about that too….

Stating the obvious aside, still pretty sure they would have settled for "private dinner with world leaders as HRHs" given the last 18 months. Funnily enough, they don't seem to be able to replicate it on their own so easily. Maybe the toxic cesspool was good for something...

I dont think so. I know they like to sound off.. but as Royals they would not be able to lecture and say what they liked at these sorts of events. at present, they are getting chances to talk and sound off, to tell the world about their mental health and to complain about political things in a way they could not do as royals...
And they would have to do tours at the behest of the queen, and there would all sorts of fuss if they said they wanted to do a docu drama on the RF or the like... for money.....

I guess that’s the thing about royal life - you get visibility but no real power, and any platform and influence you may have is related to your position, not to who you are as an individual. I think people like joe Biden and Angela Merkel likely have a great deal of respect for the Queen precisely because she’s always been smart enough to stay in her lane, and has taken the ideas of duty and service to her country seriously.

Harry and Meghan don’t seem to get that royal platforms aren’t portable. If Harry had spent the last ten or fifteen years working at a non profit or NGO, and had really dedicated himself to his work, his professional experience and contacts combined with his family background would be starting to pay off in the form of real influence in his field. But getting to that point takes time and sustained effort, even for people from very privileged backgrounds.

I doubt it. Are the Wessexes there? They have effectively replaced the Sussexes. This would have likely only stopped with the Cambridges. Anyways I’m sure if they wanted to interact with the Bidens they could always extend an invitation. It’s not as if Harry doesn’t have an established professional relationship already. Dr. Biden visiting two organizations related to Harry this weekend. Besides I don’t think that was their goal despite some claiming this.

Also fairly sure the American member of the family and the one who's already met Dr. Biden would have been invited as good PR. HM herself was not originally scheduled to attend, but decided to go.

And the Bidens are the POTUS and FLOTUS. Harry and Meghan can't just "extend an invitation" because they feel like interacting. The Bidens are a little busy right now...?

I guess that’s the thing about royal life - you get visibility but no real power, and any platform and influence you may have is related to your position, not to who you are as an individual. I think people like joe Biden and Angela Merkel likely have a great deal of respect for the Queen precisely because she’s always been smart enough to stay in her lane, and has taken the ideas of duty and service to her country seriously.

Harry and Meghan don’t seem to get that royal platforms aren’t portable. If Harry had spent the last ten or fifteen years working at a non profit or NGO, and had really dedicated himself to his work, his professional experience and contacts combined with his family background would be starting to pay off in the form of real influence in his field. But getting to that point takes time and sustained effort, even for people from very privileged backgrounds.

That is very true. At present he is getting some notice and TV programmes because he is a Prince...but he's not doing all that well at them and is just sounding incoherent...
and as a royal, he can't go to one of these events and schmooze for some kind of a job that will bring in money. Andrew's used his royal job to meet with rich people on the side.. and it has led to disaster...So now Harry as a royal would be under more scrutiny and restrictions as to what he could do in terms of private business... i.e. nothing I think.

Máxima recently described their power as 'convening power'; which she considered very valuable.

Also fairly sure the American member of the family and the one who's already met Dr. Biden would have been invited as good PR. HM herself was not originally scheduled to attend, but decided to go.

And the Bidens are the POTUS and FLOTUS. Harry and Meghan can't just "extend an invitation" because they feel like interacting. The Bidens are a little busy right now...?

Right now? Of course not but I won’t be surprised if Dr. Biden and Harry in coming months interact about the military. Or an invitation to Invictus next year. That’s more of what I meant.

Meghan gave birth a week ago. She wouldn’t have been there had she stayed or not. Harry maybe but again we don’t know. They tend to keep things like this top tier hence why the Wessexes and Anne aren’t there.

It does seem the thing they wanted, given their Zoom meetings in the last year. Albeit they wanted to also make money and be more political than the "soft power" of the monarchy, even though that clearly can open a lot of doors and get things done.

I do think Meghan especially would like to be on a joint engagement with Jill Biden but didn't want all the rest of it.

An article pointed out to day that first it was the Cambridges they were having problems with before they left but they were really close to both Charles and HM and they were supposedly 100% supportive (see FF), then Charles came under fire (once he cut them off allegedly) and now HM may have drawn her boundary lines.

From everything we know the Cambridges have only seen Archie a few times. Hopefully that will change one day.

I think she wants the glitz and the being noticed as a political influencer.. and she may half believe that she wants to use political power to do good.. but - I dont think it is her priority. What she wants is a wealthy comfortable life where she can make friends who are rich and influential and get jobs that bring in a lot of money, but she does like to lecture the rest of the world as well.

Re CHarles, WIlliam etc. I think that in January 2020, the queen and CHarles DID try to offer some kind of life/deal that would give the Sussexes some freedom.. and help them to be happier... But they could not allow what the couple wanted, of them hopping bakc and forth to the US and making money there... and then the Sussexes left... But I would say that WIlliam was less willing to try and find some kind of middle ground. I think he was disappointed and not so close to his brother and felt angry that Harry wanted to wlak out of royal duties and leave him with most of it on his plate... so he was problaby less willing to listen than Ch and the queen were...
But when Harry left, and then found his father would not pay his security, he got angry iwht him and things are now bad between them...

I think, as time passes, the Sussexes are going to find themselves very much on the outside looking in and seeing what they could have been doing and the influence they may have had doing it. Will they regret it? Who knows?

They have opted out for a life which they can be "financially independent" and make their own money and voice their own opinions on anything they choose but, again, as time passes, will there be anyone there willing to pay them or even listen to them? Will they regret it? Who knows?

Maybe they're free to do as they wish right now and have the freedom to say and do whatever they please but with that freedom also comes the realization that they can only have what they can afford and should they fail and crash and burn, the best PR agency in the world will not pick up the pieces for them or work on their reputation for free and the court of public opinion is not a forgiving one. Will the world regret what happens to the Sussexes as a result of their own actions? I don't think many will really care at all. Just another riches to rags story that is all too familiar in the entertainment world.

There's one thing they left behind with the BRF and all the PR in the world won't acquire for you — dignity.

Pity is quite easy. Scorn comes even easier than that.

Máxima recently described their power as 'convening power'; which she considered very valuable.

I would argue that maxima was smart when she married WA and quickly figured out how to play to her strengths without trying to stretch the limits of royal life. From what I remember she was focused and enthusiastic from the start, but was savvy enough to recognize that if she wanted to add substance to her royal work she was going to have to pay her dues first. It would be interesting to see what she’d say if she was asked if she thinks she had any true influence or power of any sort during the first five years of her life as a royal. I’m guessing she’d say no, that people may have shown up when she asked them to, but that they didn’t start to actually listen to her until they saw she’d put in enough time to know what she was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom