The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1941  
Old 12-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,756
I believe the surname was Work.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1942  
Old 12-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The UTTER desperation of some Americans to see an 'American Princess' is laughable, given their oft emphasised devotion to equality and their republican constitution, but I suppose Disney has coloured their view...
Indeed. As an American I'm cringing so bad at some of the Disneyesque giddiness. It's like they see the BRF as a super sized Debutante Ball, or a Dumbo the Flying Elephant Ride for adults. I partly blame shows like The Crown on Netflix for this, they highlight the glamour and intrigue and underplay the tediousness. People are having trouble distinguishing between fantasy and reality.
__________________

  #1943  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 489
Is Harry finished for the holidays with royal engagements?

If so Meghan doesn't start filming Season 7 of "Suits" until March and if Harry is free until after the new year, I wonder if he'll head back to Canada for a few days before Christmas.

I am sure they send New Years Eve and Day together. I know she'll be going to India for two weeks for a School Project she's working on. Him in the Caribbean for 2 weeks and she'll be in India for 2 weeks in January. Wow! Those two...

How do they do it?? Impressive!!!
  #1944  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,756
Speaking as an American, I can understand the attraction that the British Royal Family has for the everyday American with their remarkable expertise at pomp and circumstance and the glamor and the glitter of the royal crowns and tiaras and the continuity of it all put into one very nicely wrapped package. It is easy for the average American to equate the glitz and the glitter of public appearances and royal weddings with living in the extreme lap of luxury and butlers to provide anything wished for on a whim.

Coming here to TRF and actually paying attention to the details of these people, one comes to realize that within the gilded fishbowl, there is also a lot of loss of freedom, duties and responsibilities to uphold even if the royal happened to wake up with a headache that day and most importantly, just how much this family does believe in giving back and trying their hardest to make a difference in this world.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1945  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Some of my fellow Americans like to laugh and make fun of royalty, but usually the first ones in line to see a senior royal visiting and would kill to be in their presence at a event.

Disney has ruined people's idea of royalty. The hard work is never highlited, but the glitz and glamour of royal life is always front and center.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1946  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,184
Personally I'm more baffled at the need to tear down every person (mostly the ladies, though) whom the royals happen to date. Some people seem to think Harry is a naive teenager who needs their motherly control and 'advice' so he won't fall into the traps of evil golddigging women.
  #1947  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:55 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
I'm not particularly following this romance but would like to say that this is getting very little press attention in the quality papers in the UK

The Mail Online is a beast and is run separately from the Daily Mail paper. The people who respond on the Mail Online site are mainly trolls. So please do not think that these represent the view of the general public of the UK.

Interest will sharpen when/if the couple are seen together - Harry knows this. He would also agree with posters on here that real life isn't Disney and BRF life is difficult. It's the price you pay for privilege.

Good luck to them and I hope it works out how they want it to.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #1948  
Old 12-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Personally I'm more baffled at the need to tear down every person (mostly the ladies, though) whom the royals happen to date. Some people seem to think Harry is a naive teenager who needs their motherly control and 'advice' so he won't fall into the traps of evil golddigging women.
Oh, that part is always disgusting. It's part of the effort to infantilize men and not hold them accountable for their actions. For many actions that would have a royal lady facing condemnation, a royal man will get a slap on the wrist and a "isn't he a naughty lad, tee-hee!". A rowdy male royal gets called a rock star, a rowdy female royal gets called a train wreck.

It's not just with royals. For example, when Tony Romo choked in the playoffs, media and fans were eager to blame his gf Jessica Simpson. She was a bad influence on him, a distraction, a jinx, yada yada yada. Of course they've been broken up for almost a decade now and he still hasn't been to a Super Bowl, but it must be the work of some she-devil.
  #1949  
Old 12-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Personally I'm more baffled at the need to tear down every person (mostly the ladies, though) whom the royals happen to date. Some people seem to think Harry is a naive teenager who needs their motherly control and 'advice' so he won't fall into the traps of evil golddigging women.
I know. Some folks somehow think they have to tear down these royal girlfriends and basically put them in the trash box. It's usually other women doing this though. A woman will tear down another woman in a hot second, and think nothing else about it.

This same thing was done to the then Kate Middleton. They tried to have her for breakfast, lunch and dinner whenever possible. Some still do this.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #1950  
Old 12-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Marietta, United States
Posts: 139
Can someone please explain what is known of Meghan's India project? I heard of it a few weeks back assuming it was a rumor...Is there any information about her trip? Sorry in advance,I know its not a topic that's usually discussed here.
  #1951  
Old 12-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmagnolia View Post
Can someone please explain what is known of Meghan's India project? I heard of it a few weeks back assuming it was a rumor...Is there any information about her trip? Sorry in advance,I know its not a topic that's usually discussed here.
I don't think anything is known about it really, other than what she mentioned on her Twitter the other week, viz that Meghan plans to go to India for two weeks in January to help set up a programme to assist girls. She said she had been working on the details for about six months.
  #1952  
Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Angel.10's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Personally I'm more baffled at the need to tear down every person (mostly the ladies, though) whom the royals happen to date. Some people seem to think Harry is a naive teenager who needs their motherly control and 'advice' so he won't fall into the traps of evil golddigging women.

Woman is a disunited class, always competing and very envious of each other. Most women who are against dating or wanting to overthrow Meghan is jealous. That Rita Ora, for example, I had never heard of her, but her opinion is pure jealousy, she wanted to be in the place of Meghan.
I'm not American, but I'm cheering of this romance to work out. I liked Meghan's personality, I admire independent, determined women ,with content, I did not like Harry's ex-girlfriends, I thought they were futiles girls. They speak of the British royal family as if they were perfect. Long ago British royalty is not perfect, there have been so many scandals, I don't know why Meghan would be unfit
  #1953  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:23 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 811
I don't think Rita Ora making a comment means she's jealous of Meghan.
  #1954  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
I see a laughing Meghan and a smiling happy Harry (who apparently broke protocol and took a Canadian detour en route back to the UK following his Carribean suite of engagements), these two are having fun; until and if it becomes legal, only then can royal protocol (whatever that would entail) can get involved.

If I were those two I would keep it just so for as long as they can.

Well until they are thinking of extending that happy family of two!
I'm going to disagree... protocol does come into place at times before they get married.

Harry made a huge err when he visited Meghan in Toronto, breaking royal protocol. While his actions definitely make it look as though he's very infatuated with Meghan and very eager to take any opportunity to see her, the breach of protocol (one established by the BRF, not the media or anything) and the previous denial by KP that he would be visiting Meghan make him look irresponsible and a bit reckless. I actually found it to be immature behaviour on his part; perhaps not as bad as some of his previous behaviour, but certainly shows a streak in him that I think Harry's actually been fairly good at avoiding since the Vegas incident.
  #1955  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Im sure that whatever the reason he broke protocol, it must have been important for him to risk it. For what it's worth they are not together at this moment so that could explain why he would want to visit her after 3 weeks apart. I guess he could of flown back home, do the engagement and then fly back out again.
  #1956  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Because so many are against her for stupid reasons, the primaries being that she is half black and American to boot. Secondly, I am sick of reading that it's too soon etc. as if they had a say in what is soon enough. You may think it's too soon but chances are Harry would disagree and he would not care what you thought about this. He is going to what he wants and with his grandmother's blessing if she hasn't given it to him already.

I use "You" for generally speaking by the way...

Anyway, I also support this because I called this, I said that Harry would fall for an American woman and he has. So many doubted the possibility.

And finally, the prospect of seeing the first British/American Princess of color is exciting to me especially since so many are against her.
I think if you read the DM comments and take that as your basis that "so many people are against her for stupid reasons" you're forgetting that the DM comment threads tend to be full of anti-Royal trolls. Likewise with comments on articles that get posted on Facebook and the like.

I do think there are some very legitimate concerns about Harry's choice of a girlfriend, but more because of the fact that as an American she doesn't really know the culture that she could potentially be marrying into. It's not her race, her religion, her career, her previous relationships... it's the fact that she's grown up in a culture that encourages the freedom of speech and personal expression and being a member of the BRF means limiting what you say and do when in the public eye. I think it's fair to worry about how successful this relationship is going to be in the long run because of how drastically different her background is from what his reality is.

There is also the fact that this is a long distance relationship. I understand the eagerness for a royal marriage... but they've been together for less than a year (from most reports and the Piers Morgan interview it sounds like it's been tops 7 months), with them being on separate continents for most of that time. We've all seen the disastrous effect that divorce and poor relationships can have on the BRF, after the War of the Waleses, the end of the York marriage, the end of the Anne/Mark marriage... I don't think anyone wants Harry to rush into a marriage and repeat the mistake of his father, aunt, and uncle.

There is also the fact, fact, that if she marries into the BRF Meghan is very likely going to have to give up her career. Royals with jobs have a history of not working out in the BRF. Look at Edward's attempts. Look at Sophie's. Even the not-royal Zara and Mike Tindall, Peter Phillips, and the Middleton family get criticized if they're seen as using their royal connections too much within their careers. And Meghan's career involves her actively engaging with the press and doing talk shows to promote her work - which let's be honest, is going to cause problems, even without her getting married. Do you really think that if she does an interview Harry's not going to come up? Or whether or not she's met the Queen?

And, again, the issue of location is going to come up. As an American citizen working in Canada (where Suits is filmed), Meghan requires a work visa. As a member of the royal family, Meghan would also require an additional security detail provided by the RCMP and paid for by the Canadian taxpayer... which is not going to endear her, Harry, or the BRF to Canada.

I think it would be stupid of Harry and Meghan to rush into a marriage. And I think it would be completely illogical for them to do so while she's still under contract for Suits - I think any marriage has a lot more chance of long term success if they were to wait until after Meghan's obligations to Suits are over and they've had the opportunity to actually live on the same continent for longer than a week.
  #1957  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:46 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333


Absolutely right.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #1958  
Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Great list. But she will only be able to make it to any of these if it fits with her proffesional schedual. Shooting movies/series don't get reschedualed just because she is dating a prince.
I don't think she actually has that many shooting obligations. Looking at her IMDb and Wikipedia pages, it looks like she only does at most one movie a year in addition to Suits, and when she does the movie it's typically a small role. It's being said that Suits is finished filming season 6 (which starts airing next month) and isn't set to start filming season 7 until March which gives her some free time. Even once it does start filming, Suits doesn't film like a network show where actors are stuck on set for 10 months of the year - it seems like they film half a season in the spring, air it in the summer then film half a season in the fall, and air it the following end of winter/spring.

It seems like she's got a break for personal projects right now - we know she's got a trip to India for a couple of weeks, but it seems likely she has time for a ski trip or a trip to London in the next few months. She'll likely be working in Toronto during Invictus, but she won't necessarily be on set 24/7 and it's possible Harry might try to work some personal time into that trip. She might not be able to make it to Eugenie's March birthday because of timing, but William and Beatrice both have summer birthdays.

Canada's also having it's 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017, so it'd be interesting to see if Harry made a tour or is chosen to be the Royal representative at the July Canada Day celebrations, and if so if Meghan will make any appearances wherever he is.
  #1959  
Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 PM
GömdNatt's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
And finally, the prospect of seeing the first British/American Princess of color is exciting to me especially since so many are against her.
you should edit that to say British Princess of Color, because there are already European Princesses of Color.
__________________
My facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/SignyCullen
Author of fiction novel Farther Side of Away, and non-fiction book about royalty If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown?
  #1960  
Old 12-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think if you read the DM comments and take that as your basis that "so many people are against her for stupid reasons" you're forgetting that the DM comment threads tend to be full of anti-Royal trolls. Likewise with comments on articles that get posted on Facebook and the like.

I do think there are some very legitimate concerns about Harry's choice of a girlfriend, but more because of the fact that as an American she doesn't really know the culture that she could potentially be marrying into. It's not her race, her religion, her career, her previous relationships... it's the fact that she's grown up in a culture that encourages the freedom of speech and personal expression and being a member of the BRF means limiting what you say and do when in the public eye. I think it's fair to worry about how successful this relationship is going to be in the long run because of how drastically different her background is from what his reality is.

There is also the fact that this is a long distance relationship. I understand the eagerness for a royal marriage... but they've been together for less than a year (from most reports and the Piers Morgan interview it sounds like it's been tops 7 months), with them being on separate continents for most of that time. We've all seen the disastrous effect that divorce and poor relationships can have on the BRF, after the War of the Waleses, the end of the York marriage, the end of the Anne/Mark marriage... I don't think anyone wants Harry to rush into a marriage and repeat the mistake of his father, aunt, and uncle.

There is also the fact, fact, that if she marries into the BRF Meghan is very likely going to have to give up her career. Royals with jobs have a history of not working out in the BRF. Look at Edward's attempts. Look at Sophie's. Even the not-royal Zara and Mike Tindall, Peter Phillips, and the Middleton family get criticized if they're seen as using their royal connections too much within their careers. And Meghan's career involves her actively engaging with the press and doing talk shows to promote her work - which let's be honest, is going to cause problems, even without her getting married. Do you really think that if she does an interview Harry's not going to come up? Or whether or not she's met the Queen?

And, again, the issue of location is going to come up. As an American citizen working in Canada (where Suits is filmed), Meghan requires a work visa. As a member of the royal family, Meghan would also require an additional security detail provided by the RCMP and paid for by the Canadian taxpayer... which is not going to endear her, Harry, or the BRF to Canada.

I think it would be stupid of Harry and Meghan to rush into a marriage. And I think it would be completely illogical for them to do so while she's still under contract for Suits - I think any marriage has a lot more chance of long term success if they were to wait until after Meghan's obligations to Suits are over and they've had the opportunity to actually live on the same continent for longer than a week.
Thank you! I support Harry and Meghan and think things will work out for them. Now that you have explained this, I agree. However, we all need to realize that 1) Harry would not have done all that he has for if this relationship was not super serious, her bodyguard in Britain unless she talked him out of it which is not likely and his statement from KP,along with both traveling across the pond to see each other. 2) He did break protocol, but I bet odds the Queen let it go for the most part. Nothing will come of it. Harry is in love and she wants him to be happy. Harry is 32, he knew what he was doing and why and the rules but he still did it. Good for him, I say. 3) All the other stuff you mentioned, I agree and I'd bet odds that these have discussed it all.

I do think at some point she will eventually have a quit "Suits" when engaged or married. Maybe Harry will let her do a movie once in a while but only living in London. Who knows? And she definitely will if she gets pregnant.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree genetics gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×