Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: The meeting for tea was actually mid October.

Prince Harry Takes Meghan Markle for Tea with Queen Elizabeth | PEOPLE.com

I think he likely had spoken to his gran a few times before then, unofficially. I doubt the relationship would have gone on, if he didn't know she'd approve. The tea seems more like a stamp of approval. Perhaps he had the conversation with her about the engagement, officially, shortly after.

I do think he likely shared with Gran and Philip pretty shortly after proposing.

Will there be offizcial Engagement Photos with evening gown and tiara?

The first time Meghan will wear a tiara is on her wedding day, certainly not engagement photos. And it wont be some formal portrait, evening gown wise either. Not sure I have seen engagement photos of any couple (even continent) that were that formal.

To give you an idea:

Will and Kate:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/6e/5a/236e5af01c4c1761b9b6e5cd56fdb6b0.jpg

Charles and Diana:
https://www.purelydiamonds.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/diana.jpg
https://bmsf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/diana-engagement-1.jpg

Andrew and Fergie
http://theroyalpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sarah-ferguson-11.jpg

Anne and Mark
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...ips-Official-Engagement-Portrait-May-1973.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about formal wear like tiaras but I am looking forward to seeing a set of photos of the happy couple sometime towards Xmas.
Btw, I hope they send out photos of themselves on the Christmas cards they send out this year.

I don't know about formal wear like tiaras but I am looking forward to seeing a set of photos of the happy couple sometime towards Xmas.
Btw, I hope they send out photos of themselves on the Christmas cards they send out this year.

Do engaged royal couples typically send out joint Christmas cards? I was thinking about this the other day, but I wasn’t sure when Will and Kate had their first one.

I remember years and years ago Harry and Chelsy sent out a Xmas card of their heads imposed on figures of elves dancing in the snow with friends. Of course they weren't engaged and this was a private card that had escaped onto the Internet, but it shows that Harry was sending mutual cards in his twenties, and I don't think he'd mind doing so with Meghan.

Do engaged royal couples typically send out joint Christmas cards? I was thinking about this the other day, but I wasn’t sure when Will and Kate had their first one.

No. But their engagement photos posted would be a nice Christmas gift to all. Perhaps take a page from Anne and Mark, who included a dog in their engagement photos. Have Guy with them in a lovely Christmas setting :flowers:

That would be beautiful. Perhaps near a Christmas tree, open fire roaring away.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/11/29/5-charts-british-reaction-prince-harrys-engagement/

Not sure if this has been shared yet. Those polled were asked five questions related to the engagement and do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion about the following members or soon to be member of the BRF: QEII, DoE, PoW, Duchess of Cornwall, Cambridges, PH and Meghan Markle.

Quick summary-The response to their engagement is mostly positive,though what I found interesting is that those polled think it would be acceptable for Meghan to have a career.

Last edited:
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/11/29/5-charts-british-reaction-prince-harrys-engagement/

Not sure if this has been shared yet. Those polled were asked five questions related to the engagement and do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion about the following members or soon to be member of the BRF: QEII, DoE, PoW, Duchess of Cornwall, Cambridges, PH and Meghan Markle.

Quick summary-The response to their engagement is mostly positive,though what I found interesting is that those polled think it would be acceptable for Meghan to have a career.

Abstractly saying it would be fine or even good for Meghan to have a career is different than making it work in reality. There are unique difficulties for someone who is a Senior Royal. Just ask Sophie.

Absolutely agree that it would be difficult for her to actually have a career, but I found it interesting that the public believed it would be acceptable. To me it suggests a shift in attitude in how the monarchy is being perceived and that the public would react if someone in the family opted to have a career in lieu of royal duties.

I think it's linked to that idea the British public seems to have that every Royal lives off them. It's typified by the attitude of the commenters at the Fail who often finish a rant about a young Royal by writing 'Get a job!'

I don't think most in Britain know how Royal finances work at all really. They certainly don't factor in the very real disadvantages of married-in wives having jobs in the commercial sector. It would be just impossible. Anyway, the question's moot as Harry made it clear in the engagement interview that Meghan will be joining the Firm.

No, you won’t see Meghan in a tiara until the wedding. Engagement photos are generally less formal so I doubt we will see a formal gown.

Yes W&K's were very casual ..great pics too!

LaRae

There will be some engagement portraits just before or after Christmas.

I think it's linked to that idea the British public seems to have that every Royal lives off them. It's typified by the attitude of the commenters at the Fail who often finish a rant about a young Royal by writing 'Get a job!'

I don't think most in Britain know how Royal finances work at all really. They certainly don't factor in the very real disadvantages of married-in wives having jobs in the commercial sector. It would be just impossible. Anyway, the question's moot as Harry made it clear in the engagement interview that Meghan will be joining the Firm.

Yes because every balcony photo taken at the Trooping of the Color has someone complaining that they pay for everyone standing there. :sad: I do have to wonder though that in the future will we see a much slimmer pool of working royals modeled on the Dutch, Norwegian or Spanish royal families with the adult participation being limited to monarch/consort, adult heir/spouse and perhaps one of the monarch's adult siblings or a second adult child/spouse? That would require a shift in the focus of the royal patronages to a national level rather many regional ones. Don't see it happening now, but possibly when William's reign begins.

Yes W&K's were very casual ..great pics too!

LaRae

Yes I could see Harry and Meghan opting for casual ones similar to W & K or a few of Charles' and Diana's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I agree, TLLK. That is very likely to happen. All monarchies that are still around in twenty to thirty years time will probably adopt that model. When William becomes King he may well be in his late fifties however and Harry only a little younger. I do see Harry in harness in some capacity or other in his brother's reign.

Yes, I agree, TLLK. That is very likely to happen. All monarchies that are still around in twenty to thirty years time will probably adopt that model. When William becomes King he may well be in his late fifties however and Harry only a little younger. I do see Harry in harness in some capacity or other in his brother's reign.

If William comes to the throne in his fifties, it’s likely that George won’t be that involved with royal duties yet. I anticipate a similar path as William had for George. If that’s the case, William, Catherine, Harry, and Meghan will have their hands full.

Was there any newspaper statement that Prince Harry had asked Meghan's father for permission to marry Meghan?

Was there any newspaper statement that Prince Harry had asked Meghan's father for permission to marry Meghan?

It was in the official announcement: he asked her parents (so father and mother!).

Anne’s my favorite ever.
And she had a dog in it:dog:! No wonder I adore the woman:ROFLMAO:

I know, mine too. And not just because of the dog but that takes it up even more :flowers:

That would be beautiful. Perhaps near a Christmas tree, open fire roaring away.

Just what I was thinking Curryong :flowers:

Not some portrait hall, more like Anne and Mark. Nice living room setting, fireplace and decorations. The two and Guy, their furbabby.

A Bradford Exchange commemorative plate re the engagement announcement is already on the market:
https://www.bradford.co.uk/harryengagementplate.html

And, Dolls magazine is already anticipating M&H doll likenesses appearing after the wedding, if not before:
Meghan Mania: Which doll will be first in the new Royal Wedding race?

Anne’s is my favorite ever.
And she had a dog in it:dog:! No wonder I adore the woman:ROFLMAO:

Yep, Anne is very cool. I have great admiration for her ability to stare down a kidnapper at gunpoint, and thus foil his nefarious attempt. This, even after the prospective kidnapper had shot one of Anne's protection officers! It happened sometime in the 1970s, when Anne was in her twenties.

It would be lovely to see Meghan and Harry posed with Guy. I truly wish we could see any available previous pics of M&H with both Guy and Bogart in the Toronto apartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Bradford Exchange commemorative plate re the engagement announcement is already on the market:
https://www.bradford.co.uk/harryengagementplate.html

And, Dolls magazine is already anticipating M&H doll likenesses appearing after the wedding, if not before:
Meghan Mania: Which doll will be first in the new Royal Wedding race?

IMO the Danbury Mint Diana Bride Doll is vastly superior to the Franklin Mint one. I have the Danbury one. Her face is really pretty. The Franklin one in pictures looks very bleh. I hope they get the face right on the Meghan doll. They usually don't with these dolls and it really spoils it.

The plate is really beautiful.... but pricey !!!!

Anne's and Mark's dog was also strolling around when they announced their engagement by showing up in the Palace Garden together with The Queen and Prince Phillip in 1973

I have to ask my mother if she still has the wedding mugs. We never really had china growing up but in our china cabinet we always had an odd mix. I remember two mugs. I guess they had come from my Nana. A commemorative one for the queen and Philip. And I think the other was Diana and Charles.

I always found the dolls they make extremely creepy.

I think the creepiest thing I've seen as far as commemorative items for a royal wedding were the William and Kate Wedding Commemorative condoms. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom