The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But why? How can acquiring something for yourself as opposed to inheriting it be shameful?
Besides, if James has children, they will inherit this coat of arms. For them it will be an inherited one. Every tradition has to start somewhere!

Exactly!
As parents we all wish to instil a deep sense of satisfaction in our children for their family and traditions. The coat of arms is a tangible symbol of that fabric which holds families together. Realistically, can't all afford to have a coat of arms, but that isn't a reason to be ashamed. We find other ways to demonstrate our family honour and dignity.

looks like kate middletons family are enjoying the limelight hehehehe

Proud family

Many have remarked how proud William's family must have felt during this tour, and of course he has been carrying out the family business for several years.

But Kate's family! Can you just imagine how they've felt watching their daughter/sister doing what she's just done?

Many have remarked how proud William's family must have felt during this tour, and of course he has been carrying out the family business for several years.

But Kate's family! Can you just imagine how they've felt watching their daughter/sister doing what she's just done?

Yes, I think the same. Sitting around the tv in the evening watching their daughter (sister) on the news. If she were my daughter I think I would burst into tears with pride

The BRF & Middleton's must be very of Kate & William. They represented themselves, their families & the commonwealth beautifully! It was so great to see it too!

The discussion of Pippa Middleton's maid of honour dress at the Royal Wedding has been moved to the Non-royal Guests and Fashions thread.

Posts about the daily activities of Pippa Middleton and who she may or may not marry have been moved to a new thread in Members' Corner - In the News: Pippa Middleton.

Please could I try to help by adding a bit of Middleton family background information [some of which I have already posted on other relevant threads].

I have just seen the comments on the Middleton family's coat of arms and would like to add a bit of extra detail: No one 'inherits' a coat of arms as such [it is a common misconception]. Every coat of arms has to be granted by the College of Arms, which is itself a branch of the Royal Household. Individuals desirous of having a Coat of Arms petition the College of Arms for such a grant [anyone can apply] and you are assigned a Herald who will conduct the necessary research to draw up a suitable coat of arms. My father's Coat of Arms was derived from his family's etc etc etc. When I was an unmarried daugher, I was entitled to bear an armature derived from my father's coat of arms, and when I married we could have petitoned the College of Arms to come up with a Coat of Arms for us which in effect would have had the lozenge I was entitled to bear impaled on the new 'joint' coat. But there was no need for us to have a Coat of Arms, so we didn't.

Obviously, if you are from a very aristocratic background, there will be more of what I will call 'source material' for the Herald to work from. I also have to say that once you go back 6 or 7 generations, because the UK population was so much smaller than it is today [and because of course there was not so much migration back then] it is quite easy to find that almost anyone has some 'aristocratic' forebears! The other problem with Coats of Arms is the misunderstanding about 'purchasing' them; in reality, the fact that money changes hands is because the College of Arms [although a branch of the Royal Household] is required to be 'self-supporting' financially, and so it up to the individual granted the coat of arms to pay the Herald for carrying out the necessary research. You also do not technically inherit a Coat of Arms. The College has to draw up an appropriate Coat of Arms in each case.

As for the Middletons at Royal Ascot, I actually was present in the Royal Enclosure when the Middletons were there. The other parties in the carriage procession that day were NOT part of the racing syndicate that the Carole Middleton is in. There was actually adverse comment from unkind people when the carriage containing Carole Middleton arrived in the Paddock. I know this because I heard what some of those in the Royal Enclosure were saying: namely that Carole was 'far too Orange' to be a lady [ her fake tan was not too good in my humble opinion] and unkind people were also saying that Carole was waving far too enthusiastically, which was apparently felt to be infra dig. In my humble opinion it is also not correct for people to express such remarks about Carole - revealing their own lack of breeding if you see what I mean.

Actually, in my own opinion, the reason why there was a lot of adverse comment expressed in the Royal Enclosure about Carole Middleton lay in the fact that it is unusual for a parent of a Royal Bride [for want of a better phrase] to be invited to a function when the daughter in question is absent. Sophie has always been present at Royal Ascot when her father has been there [from memory, he started to appear in the Royal Carriage procession after his wife (i.e. Sophie's mother) had died and his prescence at Royal Ascot was said to be the kindness of the Queen to a widower now on his own.

Sarah, Duchess of York's mother was a prominent guest in the Royal Enclosure after her daughter's marriage [but of course neither Susan Barrantes or Sarah were seen after the Royal Divorce]. I cannot ever remember Diana's parents being invited but then again, this might have been due to the fact that Susan Barrantes did know the Queen and Prince Phillip well from Polo.

I do think that the appearance of Catherine's parents at Royal Ascot does underline the effort that the Queen now makes with 'in-laws'. The mother of Mark Philips once remarked that after Mark and Anne's marriage, the only contact that the two families had was the fact that the Queen sent them a card at Christmas. [Incidentally, Mark's mother herself came from a quite aristocratic background].

I feel sorry for the Middletons - I think that the reason for the disdain they suffer in some circles is because Carole is apparently the 'brains' behind the business and is therefore felt to be 'pushy'. Why seeking to better your family's lot should be frowned on, I do not know.

Catherine's father Michael was indeed never a pilot -details of his career at British Airways were given by the airline itself shortly after the Royal Engagement was announced, when they said that he had been employed in various admin roles, never on the flight deck and his most senior position had been as a flight despatcher.

Hope some of this helps,

Alex

Last edited:
I do think that the appearance of Catherine's parents at Royal Ascot does underline the effort that the Queen now makes with 'in-laws'. The mother of Mark Philips once remarked that after Mark and Anne's marriage, the only contact that the two families had was the fact that the Queen sent them a card at Christmas. [Incidentally, Mark's mother herself came from a quite aristocratic background].

I feel sorry for the Middletons - I think that the reason for the disdain they suffer in some circles is because Carole is apparently the 'brains' behind the business and is therefore felt to be 'pushy'. Why seeking to better your family's lot should be frowned on, I do not know.

Thank you, Alex, for this information. Especially the report from your own experiences at the Royal Enclosure. It is sad that there will always be people who are "more Royal than the Queen" - we have a saying in Germany: päpstlicher als der Papst, which means "more "knowledable" about what being pope means than the pope himself.

We don't know if and why the queen likes the Middletons. We learned a bit why William loves them and it has to do with their warm- and kindness, their family spirit and the fact that he can be himself, a family member, when he is with them. Plus they have a work as well as human ethic, seeing how successful and discreet they are. Recommendable that noone who worked with or for them talks ill about them. Doesn't that sound a lot like a description of the queen and the duke?

Maybe the queen found kindred spirits in the Middletons?

Thank you, Alex, for this information. Especially the report from your own experiences at the Royal Enclosure. It is sad that there will always be people who are "more Royal than the Queen" - we have a saying in Germany: päpstlicher als der Papst, which means "more "knowledable" about what being pope means than the pope himself.

We don't know if and why the queen likes the Middletons. We learned a bit why William loves them and it has to do with their warm- and kindness, their family spirit and the fact that he can be himself, a family member, when he is with them. Plus they have a work as well as human ethic, seeing how successful and discreet they are. Recommendable that noone who worked with or for them talks ill about them. Doesn't that sound a lot like a description of the queen and the duke?

Maybe the queen found kindred spirits in the Middletons?

I imagine at this point in time it's less about the queen liking the Middletons, (I doubt she's been around them enough at this point to have any sort of real relationship with them), than about the queen loving William, who in turn loves the Middletons and has possibly made it known within the family that he'd like them to be included as much as possible.

Also, barring any unforeseen events, Mr. and Mrs. Middleton are going to be the grandparents of a future British monarch. That puts them in a rather unique position and maybe the queen recognizes that they're going to be near the centre of the royal family for the rest of their lives, (in a way that the people Alex heard making snarky comments, for all their presumably "good" backgrounds, are not).

I'm probably in the minority here but to me a coat of arms is a pretty pretentious thing to buy, especially when you look into the history of coats of arms: it's all about your family getting notched up in society and a way of distinguishing yourself from the riff raff - a bit of social climbing. I know that quite a lot of those whose families have had coats of arms for centuries consider it 'vulgar' for the new middle classes to buy their own. There are ways to show family unity without spending thousands on an outdated symbol of snobbery, classism, and aspiration. It seems like the Middletons did it to fit in with the people they'll be meeting over the years (and perhaps to ensure that it would become part of royal history when Catherine's half was merged with William's half).

I'm probably in the minority here but to me a coat of arms is a pretty pretentious thing to buy, especially when you look into the history of coats of arms: it's all about your family getting notched up in society and a way of distinguishing yourself from the riff raff - a bit of social climbing. I know that quite a lot of those whose families have had coats of arms for centuries consider it 'vulgar' for the new middle classes to buy their own. There are ways to show family unity without spending thousands on an outdated symbol of snobbery, classism, and aspiration. It seems like the Middletons did it to fit in with the people they'll be meeting over the years (and perhaps to ensure that it would become part of royal history when Catherine's half was merged with William's half).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michael Middleton get a family coat of arms because Catherine's new coat of arms is actually a combination of her father's and William's?And didn't the Queen herself offer/recommend that he get one?

And the Countess of Wessex family also got a coat of arms, as did Princess Mary and Princess Marie family.

And the Countess of Wessex family also got a coat of arms, as did Princess Mary and Princess Marie family.

Thank you miche, I had forgotten about the Countess. I am not familiar with Princess Mary or Princess Marie. Who are they? Are they and their families considered, by some, to be social climbers as well?

I just find this idea to be perplexing.

If this is off topic, could someone direct me to the correct thread?
Thanks

Didn't Sarah have to get a coat of arms as well?

Royal Newbie, Mary and Marie are part of the Danish Royal family. I don't follow the Danish royals very closely, so I'm not sure if some consider them social climbers.

I too find it perplexing. I don't know why the Middletons are knocked for doing the same thing that other families have done.

Last edited:
I think it's the 'thing' to have or recieve a coat of arms when you marry a member of any royal family. Sarah's arms are ghastly IMO.

I don't think either Mary or Marie are considered social climbers, depends who you speak to.

A Coat of Arms is a special and historical thing to have within your family.
I find them really interesting and decorative to look at.
They are very British.
The Middleton family should definitely have had one drawn up for them. Every one's family has a history that is worth noting. Most humans are adventurous and creative.
You don't have to have royal connections to have a family Coat of Arms.

Also - do you buy a coat of arms or are you issued one?

I'm sorry - but all this talk of the Middletons being social climbers is absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion. Their daughter fell in love with a prince, and her parents will watch her be mercilessly ridiculed, inspected, poked, prodded, and used by the press. This is a complex situation - not merely one of those "well, they just wanted to get more power and money"-type deals.

Also - who else in their position would have turned down the opportunity to be a part of the Royal Family, no matter how much "social climbing" you were accused of? especially if your daughter were in love?

Reactions: csw
Also - do you buy a coat of arms or are you issued one?

If you look back to the previous page, you will see a nice, detailed description of the process from Diarist. Essentially, there is a fee paid but it is to defray the cost of research & design by the self-supporting agency. Hope this helps! :flowers:

I'll second that... It's good to see everyone getting along. It makes me forget the 90's.

Oh I agree! I always feel more comfortable as we head in to the cooler fall weather. Oh wait... that's not the 90s we're talking about. Nevermind.

Seriously though... With all the mega disasters and social and economic upheaval, I'm glad the Cambridges have been afforded the time to just lay back and be themselves and just forge ahead with their own lives. They'll be filling the public eye soon enough.

Oh I agree! I always feel more comfortable as we head in to the cooler fall weather. Oh wait... that's not the 90s we're talking about. Nevermind.

Seriously though... With all the mega disasters and social and economic upheaval, I'm glad the Cambridges have been afforded the time to just lay back and be themselves and just forge ahead with their own lives. They'll be filling the public eye soon enough.

It won't be such a terrible thing to get out of those 90s as well :D.

On a serious note, I agree with what you've said wholeheartedly. The time they have now is precious, and they're lucky to get this sort of reprieve before the Jubilee and other royal duties that await them in the near future.

Yes, I certainly miss news and current sightings of William and Kate, but I'm also glad that they're enjoying this quiet time away from the spotlight before their lives start to get hectic in the public eye. But I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of Kate shopping at the local Tesco or Waitrose, though! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom